3-5-2 / 3-4-1-2 / 3-4-3 Hight Octane Vertical Football

I spent this entire FM21 lifetime trying to settle with one system and at the very end I did find it. So going back to the drawing board made me also look back at some of my biggest influences today in the likes of Julian Nagelsmann, Adi Hutter, Jorge Jesus and even Simone Inzaghi. All of them, in different styles, have one thing in common, they do like to see the ball move quickly and vertically, so after "drinking" their kool aid of tactical brilliance I came up and adapted to the game, settled with a 3-5-2, 3-4-1-2 and 3-4-2-1 variations.

I used my save in SL Benfica to put this on practice.

image.thumb.png.895ccc2669f432c6d9ce412999188335.png

These are some results from the last season, I only started using this tactic mid-second season, allowing me to win 2 Champions Leagues in a row, two leagues undefeated and all domestic cups, plus the European Super Cup.

image.png.a3bc79f428c61d89ac416e938aa22cc4.png

I actually settled more with this 3-5-2 most of the games, since most of the AI teams use an AMC, so I would always feel the need fill that gap with a DM, but at the same time, we managed to still be a very attacking formation thanks to the front 3, although, in this one, I did hide my AM (I even adapted wingers to that role) in the CM strata, and for my susprise, it did work very well.

image.png.daec4e8006e8c91c2686a760bf00493a.png

In attack, my attacking CM still has a lot of impact in the final third.

image.png.69d7f7fca33812784fc5a8dbd376f273.pngimage.png.919ebeb0cd2e13a70cdafb12d319c37f.png

While defending, my attacking CM joing the front 2 to press high, but quickly can position himself very well in the midfield, has you can see in the second image, the team kind of shapted in a 4-4-2 while defending after my left wing back pressed higher.

image.png.af2309d44f0d786661459d32ecdb5c55.png

In this version, if my opponent doesn't use an AMC, I use this one, with the objective of exploiting my opponents between the lines and overload it with the presence of two very hard working central midfielders.

image.png.a1f0cc7ca955287a97b25c90cf0e2d64.png

In this image you can see the presence of 3 players between the lines, my right striker, right CM and AM, plus, my left wing back also looking to create an impact in the half space while my left CB kind of was performing like the new WCB. This did result in a goal.

Everyone is important for this tactic to work, but I've been very impressed on the impact my front 3 had on my team, the amount of goals scored just in plays between them is vast.

image.png.1954fafdcd1beb2abbb3d673705cdf95.png

The mobility created by my 3 attacking players is a headache for most AI teams, constantly moving from position, specially my AM and Complete forward, like in the image above, my CF, drifted to the left, while my AM drifted to the right.

image.jpeg.4777a03b52dfdc0abce8344bd836a28d.jpeg

The importance of my left striker is simple: Opening defensive lines, moving them like sheeps around the field, in this case, he made the right full back come deep inside, giving all space for my left wing back to put in a goal, this was def. a rip in the page of Mr.Adi Hutter and Kostic.

image.jpeg.abee054b7ce97a9ffa81136d0bae8ca5.jpeg

We're also not shy on playing direct football, as I said, the objective is to move it vertically and quick, and in these games, in this case, vs. Man.United, we find a lot of teams with a high defensive line, granting us with the chance to play these long balls, and my CBs do like to move the ball quick and they are good at it. This would also result in a goal.

My Key Players

Defenders:

image.png.7e8e8cded2a07e64ceda45bdb794b5b4.pngimage.png.55d9f78bad4c8495d82ec3cb1dd5459f.pngimage.png.f1f032ae58c83086ff4f05dc15a874f8.png

Badiashile, Mohamed Camara and Lucas Verissimo: Strong, fairly quick, forces fo nature, they are quite good on the ball and very important in set pieces. I only work with CBs who are strong, tall, fairly quick with high levels of composure and concentration.

Midfielders:

image.png.9a5c3baa050182f3fc10785b43412163.pngimage.png.1c033a19a3211a38ddffef0270c18015.pngimage.png.38d212f4b1e8a79b1bd8afbeb1f833ed.pngimage.png.2ffdd03042f409cf51c48af123b9b6d3.pngimage.png.6ea22df606e122f5c8347115cea1e174.png

Zakaria, Nandez, Gedson, Soumaré and Vukotic: I mean, there is a padron here. I revamped the club's midfield and wanted only work horses in the middle, midfielders who could cover the entire pitch in transitions,while still being good on the ball.

My Creative Minds:

image.png.7cdd9c53dd1f64e3aa38a0f64c47c762.pngimage.png.500ba1fa50ce41d28e89fcaa26e0a577.png

Everton and Moukoko: Adapted very well in that CM attacking roles, they provide most of the magic of the team, there's not much to say, the are there to create chaos, and chaos they create.

Forwards:

image.png.028fef463f0d2d8df7bcfcb1edd942e8.pngimage.png.29b8e156208c0d652c56855ac94c84e7.pngimage.png.b21a972b4f0ebb5761850237419730b2.pngimage.png.c468c2a27202aca136a4b457dfa5aee7.pngimage.png.a8a509f8fe329641a7d32d008105dbcc.png

Henrique Araújo, Kaladzic, Da Graca, Borré and Sima: My 5 forwards for my Striker, complete forward dynamic, the kid Araújo really step up to be one of the best strikers in the whole game, Kaladzic and Borré work really well as two strong complete forwards, Da Graca and Sima are yet in the backseat, but they are special projects of mine for the future. They are all strong, quick and they work like a charm together.

My Extras:

image.png.1c7410dc0f16477954c0213ae0dd5d2e.pngimage.png.54637430afdb4736073d0aa8137569d8.png

Kelvin Amian and Abdu Conté: Now, on the bench, I always felt the need to have defenders who could play as CBs or wing backs,  and these two really did the trick, being very good subs, I even started using Amian in the defensive midfielder role at times.

Video

As an extra I compiled a video with only the goals coming from combinations between my 3 attacking players, in the third season only.

11 horas atrás, CJ_Randell disse:

Really good write up. 

Do you have any particular player or opposition instructions? 

A few, my central midfielders to play long balls, this encourages them to quickly move the ball vertically, but they are not shy to make a run if there's space, since the team is set to counter.
Then my forwards, my advanced forward is instructed to stay wide and drift wide on the ball, I really want him to open space for others and my complete forward roaming from position

wide central defenders to stay wide

i don't use op. instructions, but if you want to force the press on the op. defenders you could do that

• 4 weeks later...

To give an update on this, I've been using the same tactics in FM22, and tweaked them to use the new WCB and the results have been very positive. A taste

image.png.fe1e874b3e05cf936742cbb4d475876c.png

Didn't change a lot, and I though the WB and WCB would clash, but they actually created a pretty good dynamic with the WCB looking for more underlaps.

Example

https://streamable.com/45xvz0

Also helps recycling a lot of balls, keeping my opponents in the back, charging them with more crosses.

My DM is important to keep the defensive line with 3 players when my WCB is ...well, wide.

image.png.6af93554d99f3fa92ea57af8a11dc11c.png

Results so far

image.png.427447cbeeeed3baf6a8221816c1990e.png

Teams who try to play in a more positive style are getting absolutely trashed with transitions, the front 3 are looking even more impressive in FM22

10 hours ago, palmamiguel92 said:

To give an update on this, I've been using the same tactics in FM22, and tweaked them to use the new WCB and the results have been very positive. A taste

image.png.fe1e874b3e05cf936742cbb4d475876c.png

Didn't change a lot, and I though the WB and WCB would clash, but they actually created a pretty good dynamic with the WCB looking for more underlaps.

Example

https://streamable.com/45xvz0

Also helps recycling a lot of balls, keeping my opponents in the back, charging them with more crosses.

My DM is important to keep the defensive line with 3 players when my WCB is ...well, wide.

image.png.6af93554d99f3fa92ea57af8a11dc11c.png

Results so far

image.png.427447cbeeeed3baf6a8221816c1990e.png

Teams who try to play in a more positive style are getting absolutely trashed with transitions, the front 3 are looking even more impressive in FM22

Do you use any specific player instructions? Trying it out and I have a very good first impression!

3 horas atrás, JoOSTAR disse:

Do you use any specific player instructions? Trying it out and I have a very good first impression!

BPD - Stay Wider

WBs - Stay Wide, cross more often, and the Right WB, to cross to the second post

DM - Less risks

CM(s) - Shorter passes, roam from position (sometimes I make him hold position)

CM(a) - Direct passes (helpful in transitions, he really liks up really well and quick with the strikers, roam from position, more risks, press more

AF - Stay Wide, Take ball wide (opens gaps in op. defenses, takes defenders with him, or just bothers the hell out of a weaker full back, take more risks, press more

CF - Roam from position

Defenders need to be quick, tall and strong, with good composure and concentration

midfielders (DM and CM(s)) need to be quick, press resistant, strong, good on the ball, they need to be cover big areas, so this is key

CM(a) - He's your creative mind, you can even use a winger in this role if he has good mental stats, and a good physical attributes would be nice too

AF - Quick, strong, pacy, tall, he's the runner, the tank, needs to dribble well, maybe 13 minimum stat

CF - Doesn't need to be quick but I wouldn't recomend a static forward in this role, a quick CF will only add more power to the counters, he also needs good passing, first touch, and headers, also, strong, and tall

1 hora atrás, Adonalsium disse:

The tactic seems to be conceding pretty often is my only worry. Roughly a goal a game conceded doesn't seem very sustainable over a long period of time.

in 22 yes, in 21 had it running for 3 or 4 seasons and was solid, but'm also scoring more goals in 22, must be an engine thing

17 hours ago, Adonalsium said:

The tactic seems to be conceding pretty often is my only worry. Roughly a goal a game conceded doesn't seem very sustainable over a long period of time.

I’ve tried this tactic out, I noticed with the reworked pressing if you change the DM to defend in the last parts of games it really helps hold a clean sheet. So far this has been the best 352 I’ve used.

1 hour ago, palmamiguel92 said:

Good tip @mc22

Any recommendations what you’ve been tweaking when you are finding it hard to break down a side? Some games we either don’t create or just can’t finish chances. 

Any recommendations what you’ve been tweaking when you are finding it hard to break down a side? Some games we either don’t create or just can’t finish chances. 

It depends really, sometimes I switch to the 3-4-1-2, but no always 2 strikers are the key to reach the goal, maybe I need more players in the creation zones, so I switch to the 3-4-3, but in desperation I play with 2 wide CBs, 2 wingers, 1 of the MC in attacking duty, the AP make it into a SS behind the 2 strikers, since both of them tend to open space for others, both SS, and MC(at) will try to find those spaces more in the final third. Sometimes poor finshing can just be how quick the team is playing, maybe trying to slow tempo, change to play on the floor instead of crosses may help too

27 minutes ago, palmamiguel92 said:

Started the Premier League with 2 draws, vs Liverpool and Arsenal, my first 4 games include these and Chelsea and Man.U, not a very pleasant calendar eheh

I got a similar start but mine included Man City as well.....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...