[Scotland Premiership] Data Issues

Ed Hewison

I'd also like to come back to the issue of Calvin Bassey.  About a year ago I came on here and made the case that Bassey is much stronger than his stats reflect in game.  I think he was about 15.  Frimpong, who is a much smaller defender, was 16.  At that time I was told strength isn't just about physical size but ability to keep the ball, balance to hold others off, etc.  I was told that his stats would be changed based on his performances and you can look that up in my posting history.

Bassey is build like an ox.  He can hold players off, AND it's a nightmare to shove him off it.  His balance and strength should right up there.  At this point he's probably one of the hottest young prospects in Europe when it comes to young centre backs.  He needs a serious buff to most of his stats but his strength and balance need to be right up there at like 18 - both of them.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 07/05/2022 at 17:09, joe5p said:

Pretty sure his mum is a big Rangers fan and his Dad is a Celtic fan, think it was quoted a fair bit when we he was younger coming through. You would imagine he would be willing to play for both, albeit having been at Rangers makes it more likely he would choose Rangers over Celtic

I mostly play as Rangers.  Gilmour qualifies as a Home grown player trained by the club.  So of course, guys like him are exactly who you target, but it's a nightmare.  Even when I have the funds Gilmour shows no inclination to join Rangers whatsoever.  The fact the lad came up through the youth ranks, and has at parent who is very passionate about Rangers, and dispassionate about Celtic, should merit a 'liking' for the club at least.  Give us something is all I'm asking.  After a season or two I can get Patterson back no problem.  

Posted (edited)
On 06/05/2022 at 14:33, wardog said:

In terms of players - Craig Gordon was deemed surplus at Celtic - probably wrongly admittedly but regardless he went to Hearts and is now player of season, evidence that celtics surplus is a key player in third best team.

If we look across the league theres also strong evidence that players not playing for old firm are getting games for other clubs. David Bates made 25 stars for Aberdeen this season, we know rangers have improved rapidly in defence since he left so can assume hed be a back up at best now. Ross McCrorie direct from Rangers has made 35 starts for Aberdeen this season, was no where near Rangers first team at point he left. Andy Halliday 24 appearances for hearts, Barrie McKay 29 starts. That would suggest to me that the fringes of these old firm sides are fairly close to starters in most SPFL sides. 

On the part with Craig Gordon I think you answer your own point by saying Celtic were probably wrong to let him go which is why he has gone on to be (probably) player of the season and easily the best goalkeeper in the league. You could look at Barkas who in the 22.4 is rated very very closely to Jak Alnwick, Joe Lewis & Matt Macey because he is the second choice keeper for Celtic, but I can’t imagine you’d get many if any St Mirren, Aberdeen or Hibs fans (even though Macey has been very average) who would say they would have no issue in swapping their keeper for Barkas.

On the next part I would say David Bates is the perfect example of someone rated too highly because they were a ‘fringe player’ for one of the old firm. He has failed to breakthrough at every other club he has been at until now and yes he has played a lot for Aberdeen this season but has been widely derided as one of if not the worst centre half in the league this season. On Halliday yes he has made 24 appearances for Hearts but 10 of them were coming on as a sub and you can bet if he wasn’t able to play competently in a vast array of positions he wouldn’t have found himself in such a fortunate position.

McKay (over 100 games for Rangers so not really a fringe player?, as well as a Scotland cap and a number of games at a good standard in the English championship) and McCrorie (who Aberdeen spent a six figure sum on) it’s not really a surprise they’ve played key roles in their other teams.

So I think there is certainly value in old firm ‘fringe players’ continuing to be rated more sensibly going forward.

Edited by Yer Maw

• SI Staff
On 18/05/2022 at 14:34, PigeonStrangler said:

I'd also like to come back to the issue of Calvin Bassey.  About a year ago I came on here and made the case that Bassey is much stronger than his stats reflect in game.  I think he was about 15.  Frimpong, who is a much smaller defender, was 16.  At that time I was told strength isn't just about physical size but ability to keep the ball, balance to hold others off, etc.  I was told that his stats would be changed based on his performances and you can look that up in my posting history.

Bassey is build like an ox.  He can hold players off, AND it's a nightmare to shove him off it.  His balance and strength should right up there.  At this point he's probably one of the hottest young prospects in Europe when it comes to young centre backs.  He needs a serious buff to most of his stats but his strength and balance need to be right up there at like 18 - both of them.

I've been keeping a close eye on Bassey and his improvement over the course of the season has been phenomenal. Especially over the past few months.

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

This article might help with Celtic's latest batch of 16 year olds signing their first pro deal. Lists their age, general position, national side and name on the official site. 

https://www.celticfc.com/news/2022/july/01/new-celtic-academy-intake-sign-on-with-the-hoops/

Two are listed as 15 for now, which might prevent them being in game, but I think if signing pro-contracts they must be 16 before the start of the season.

Edited by joe5p

• 2 weeks later...

I hope Moses and Peter McNeil, William McBeath and Peter Campbell are added as founders of Rangers FC and the late Jimmy Bell (Kitman) well respected with fans and players alike, even with Kemar Roofe and the mix up with his top  

0_Rangers-v-Kilmarnock-Ladbrokes-Scottish-Premiership.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

William Akio (13231506), Ross County's new signing, has a YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/c/WilliamAkio) in which tons of attribute data can be extracted from. Currently, all of his attributes are set to 0 when I checked using the Pre-Game Editor which is odd for a player who has probably hundreds of videos for reference in which hidden and non-hidden attributes, especially ones relating to personality, can be scouted.

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/05/2022 at 14:40, PigeonStrangler said:

I mostly play as Rangers.  Gilmour qualifies as a Home grown player trained by the club.  So of course, guys like him are exactly who you target, but it's a nightmare.  Even when I have the funds Gilmour shows no inclination to join Rangers whatsoever.  The fact the lad came up through the youth ranks, and has at parent who is very passionate about Rangers, and dispassionate about Celtic, should merit a 'liking' for the club at least.  Give us something is all I'm asking.  After a season or two I can get Patterson back no problem.  

I must have a serious bug in my game then, i signed Gilmour 2nd season and he is neither HGC or HGN and i'm now in my 11th season. He was signed to help with the HGC registration, same with Patterson who did show up as HGC & HGN, yet he didn't count towards any of it. 

probably will be changed, but Josh Campbell at Hibs, needs a big increase in stats and potential. not great at all on Fm22..

other changes also should include John Lundstrum, Scott Wright, Kyogo, im sure others too done by the relative researchers etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Brett Galvin (2000147085) who was with Celtic in FM22 has joined Ayr United's youth setup (tweet dated 1st September) as per official AUFC twitter. Source on twitter is @ ayrunitedyouth

Edited by joe5p

• 2 weeks later...
  • SI Staff
On 17/08/2022 at 12:36, Hoarau said:

I must have a serious bug in my game then, i signed Gilmour 2nd season and he is neither HGC or HGN and i'm now in my 11th season. He was signed to help with the HGC registration, same with Patterson who did show up as HGC & HGN, yet he didn't count towards any of it. 

Gilmour left Rangers at 16 and to meet the homegrown (club or nation) requirements the player needs to be at a club for a period of 3 years between the age of 15 and 21. Billy was at Chelsea for those years so will be Nation trained in England and Club trained at Chelsea for the European competitions.