By George! To be the BEST!

Junkhead

Introduction

I have tried a few update threads in the past, but this is going to be my first "proper" one.  I generally find myself quite limited on time which means that sometimes I don't play for a good couple of weeks, whereas other times I play daily for a fortnight.  This causes me problems because of how my mind works.  

My whole life I have constantly found the need to do things in a "certain" way in pursuit of perfection.  I do this a number of ways, the main one being that I attach "order" to things, particularly chronological order.  My partner regularly encourages me to "just have fun" with my free time & rightly points out that I always have to prepare for fun to get things to a "perfect" point.  With music, if I want to listen to a certain artist, I am compelled to start with their first album & go from there - I find it difficult to start in the middle.  With TV or movies, the idea of watching things out of sequence is NOT an option.  I couldn't go & see the new Bond film, for example, as I haven't seen the last couple.  This also translates into video games, particularly Football Manager.  And I've decided - with FM at least - to do something about it.

Now, before I talk about how this effects FM and how I will attempt to resolve it, a bit of a dislaimer.  I don't know if all of this is simply a deep rooted personality trait, or something more like OCD. Nothing has been diagnosed because it's never had to be.  This is because this affliction only seems to apply to things that don't matter.  Big decisions I actually find quite easy.  Deciding where to go on a city break, for example, would be fine.  Picking a restaurant once there would be a nightmare and could take hours, and choosing something from the menu is also a pain.  However, I am generally ok with this and accept how I am. It completely ruins FM for me though.

For a start, the time struggles cause a couple of problems.  Firstly, my memory is appauling.  Therefore, as soon as I go a couple of weeks without playing, I feel disengaged and forget where I was at.  This means that inevitably I start a new save next time I pick up the game.  Secondly, I tend to obsess over certain things.  I recently started a new save & noticed that a place of birth was incorrect.  I tried to edit it in the IGE, but I couldn't.  So the save was ditched (I was only a couple of weeks in, but still).

My annual FM experience tends to go;
1- Book time off for the full realease.
2- Fiddle with the Beta for a couple of weeks beforehand trying to decide which team to be.
3- No decision made by the time the full game drops.  Waste the best part of my annual leave still trying to decide.
4- Wait for a particular mod before starting (this year it was @majesticeternity's injuries file.
5- Notice something minor that most people would ignore and then focus on it, despite the fact it doesn't really matter (this year it was RB Salzburg not entering the Austrian Cup before the first patch.  I wasn't playing in Austria...)
6- Wait for the patch & then start again.
7- January Transfer window begins & the game I have only recently started feels out of date.  Wait for the patch.
8- Start again, play multiple saves for a few months until I finally settle on one.  This usually happens around July.
9- Septemberish I stop playing & wait for the new version with bated breath....

So I've decided to break the cycle and I have not pre-ordered FM22.  I don't intend to.  Instead of this, I've spend a bit of time downloading some great mods from the community such as @Daveincid's Realism Mod, @@davie77's additional leagues & @DodgeeD's International competitions, as well as @majesticeternity's weather & injuries mods.  I've fiddled around with the editor sorting out stuff that I know might bother me when I start (mainly kit colour clashes, I cannot deal with home teams playing in their second kits, which happens now & again at low levels).  I am now, about a week before the Beta release, in a position where my year old game feels "ready".  So I'm actually going to play it instead of starting this cycle all over again in FM22, like I do every single year.

Wish me luck, first post coming soon!

The Setup

This is, of course, something that I have obsessed over for a number of days.  I am generally a LLM and play as realistically as possible, and started a thread earlier this year for other like minds.  At the same time, one classic LLaMa rule I don't agree with is on editor files.  If I trust the work done and the reasons it's been done, I tend to think that it is unlikely anyone will overpower players & stop things being realistic.  It's one thing adding a league, it's something else upping your favourite player's stats. Therefore, I am using lots of additional leagues and, because I intend on playing this save until FM23 comes out AT LEAST, I am running ALOT of leagues.  This means things will be slow - I am fine with that.  I am running 202 leagues from 100 nations.  A nice round number.  I originally settled on 97 but, due to the reasons mentioned above, there was simply NO WAY that was happening.

I will be starting in the third division of Northern Ireland, which I am pretty certain is the lowest rep league I have loaded.  If anyone knows any different, please DO NOT tell me.  I will start again. :lol:

I will be starting with the lowest rep club in this division, who are also predicted to come bottom of the division.

I will be playing with fake players.  This is so that I don't obsess over the fact that things are "out of date".

I will be playing with no attributes or ability stars visible.  I have tried to play like this before & struggled, so I might end up changing this.  But it is clearly the most realistic way to play.

I have no rules other than to play realistically & try to have fun.  Anything I notice that is "off" will be corrected through the IGE if possible (talking kit colours, not my best striker have low finishing, I'm not going to cheat :D)

The Aim

- Play this save for at least 1 year (if I give in & buy FM22 them I appreciate that this will go out of the window lol)

- Enjoy it

- Don't obsess over things

The Club & Manager

Meet George Spithand, the hero of the day.

image.png.f5e90a75514fb77e9015432082046cea.png

Named George after Northern Irish legend George Best, and born in September 2000, George is starting his first season in Management as a fresh faced 20 year old at his local club, Tobermore United.  They are predicted to come bottom of the Northern Irish third division.  They are also, interestingly, the ONLY Northern Irish club that George Best ever played for.  True, he only played 1 game for them and it was a decade after he left Manchester United, but still.  

George Best in action for Tobermore United

Here he is playing for them.  They lost 7-0.

Anyway, they are, as you would expect, not very good.

Our boy loves Tobermore though, and is a supporter of the club he now takes charge of.  He also has a soft spot for a few of Best's former clubs, notably Manchester United, as well as Hibs and Kansas City Wizards (Now Sporting Kansas City). He has Sunday League experience & no badges.  

Board Expectations

image.png.1de1c01d739da8e39036014c19249572.png

So they want me to avoid coming bottom of the league and get through one round in two of the cups and two rounds in the other.  I have no doubt George will struggle to achieve this, but lets be honest, this isn't really asking much.  This is THE worst league on the game, and the important thing is to not come bottom of it.  If he can't manage that, then maybe George needs to find another line of work.

Transfer & Wage Budget

image.png.f89c59dabc7b4e08ec65eefb88d21064.png

:lol:

Not much to say about that really.

Friendlies

image.png.bac7bacf848944c005d51d3fc049deeb.png

Staff

I find staff the hardest part of the game when playing without attributes & stars.  You can't see how good they are or how much impact your training is likely to have.  The worst part of it though is that the coaching badges don't seem to correspond to their abilities.  You can't trust someone with a top license to be any better than someone without any badges at all.  I suppose the key to this is to sign people who appear half decent but have no badges so that there's room to improve.  This is my plan.  I am also going to be looking at personality, favoured tactic & play style.  Initially I have an assistant & 2 coaches.  One of the coaches appears useless, but the assistant & the other coach seem ok.  I plan on advertising for a fitness coach ASAP and getting rid of the one who looks poor.  I also have a head physio.  Adverts have gone out for a chief scout and a HOYD.

The Squad

Oh dear.  I obviously can't show a screenshot including ability stars as I am playing without them, but things are not good.  I have 16 senior players.  Midfield looks to be the strongest area, and I reckon this is my best player;

image.png.8a4c6a061d395d08d1aeeb13ce712523.png

He is determined, agressive, naturally fit and quite fast at running.  Pretty decent for this level I imagine.  There is VERY little else.

Now as I generally play LLM rules, I won't be talking much about tactics here.  What I will say is that I will be playing a standard 442 because this is NOT the squad for intricate instructions.  

Another problem with the squad is that they are SHORT.  My 2x tallest players are 6'0".  Set pieces are usually my lifeblood at low levels, I will need to bring some height in ASAP.

Thanks all! Intend on sticking with it, but then I always do! 

Northern Ireland really does seem a proper starting point. My only worry is where I go from the worst club in the worst division if I do badly and am sacked!

The 1st Team

So, after having a proper review of all the players at the club, I am left with a 1st team squad of 15 who I think will be capable.  I need some reiforcements though, and am aiming for a squad of 18. I have 17 players in the reserve/u18's who will get opportunities here & there, and 1 player who I've deemed surpluss to requirements as he doesn't seem good at anything.  What I will say though is that as all of my senior players are on non-contract terms, numbers don't matter so much.  What I will also say is that the £17 taken up of my £19(1) p/w wage budget is the youth players who are all on £1 p/w contracts.  This worries me a bit because surely when my next batch come through, any more than 2x signings will take me above budget?

Anyway, here is a breakdown of the first team squad;

Goalkeepers;

Jakub Krawczyk - Polish born, and currently the only senior keeper at the club.  He's 30, but seems ok for this level. Will be first choice initially as neither of the 2x youth keepers are good enough yet, but I need a second senior keeper.  I am initially going to look for a loan signing as both of my young keepers look like they may turn out quite well.  Will be interested to see what happens re. Work Permit from a game mechanics perspective too - in reality this is a bloke on non-contract terms who is clearly filling his Saturdays plaing football.  I assume he has a job in the week which is where his permit worries would be?

Defence

Tomas McParland - Can play as right back or at centre half, but his abilities do seem more suited to full back.  Only 26, but the coaches don't think he will get any better, he doesn't like big matches and is inconsistent.  Will initially be considered back up but can't see him being here long term.

Ronan Wilkinson - Another who can play as right full back or in the centre, Ronan is younger than McParland and, although they do appear similar, Ronan seems to have room to improve and a higher work rate.  Will begin the season at least as first choice right back.

Paul Courtney -  19, can play with both feet, and appears a good, young central defender.  Decisions & Determination both at the higher end (can't see the numbers, but coloured "yellow" on my skin which means 11-15, I think).  Concern with him though is his height, at only 5'9".  Not particularly mobile either so having to use him on defend duty rather than as a covering defender, which might have made more sense given his height.  Will see how he gets on.

Eddie Courtney - Appears to be no relation to Paul, but another central defender.  23, an influential member of the squad, taller than Paul at 6'2" (I missed this before).  Hopefully a decent threat at corners, my only reservation is that he was in the reserves at the begining of the save and I don't know why.  Don't know if that means anything.

Anthony Bickerstaff -  Club captain & left sided defender who can play at full back or centre half.  Good mobility, teamwork & work rate, and at only 5'8" will be playing at full back.  Needs to work on his crossing, but generally has good physicals & mentals, so I am hoping he will be one of the better performers.  28, so should be at his peak.

Ryan Moore - Very capable all the way down the left side, but I am considering him more of a defender due to his age & poor crossing ability as well as the players I already have in midfield.  Will likely start the season as back up to Bickerstaff, but he might actually be a better first choice option.  Vice Captain.

Midfield

Dean Gordon Very versatile, can play at left full back and in the centre of defence, however his mobility and great mental attributes mean I'll be using him in his natural central midfield position.  According to coaches he is the best free kick taker at the club, and is good for a box to box or carrilero type role.  First name on the team sheet, I reckon, and will be a big player this season. 33 though, so not one for the long term.

Chris Nixon - Right winger with a driven personality & only 21.  Needs work on his technicals but I am hoping he will become a very good player.  Not currently first choice due to another option at the club but I expect him to force his way in during the season and play a major part next year.

Garth Long - Mobile central midfielder, but realistically probably only back up level.  Due to the gaps in the squad though he is pencilled in to start pre-season, but I need more strength in the middle.  30, so him & Gordon are both knocking on a bit, so I will be looking for a young energetic ball winner as soon as possible.

Roy O'Connor - Left winger, pacey and a good work rate, Roy will start the season as first choice however I may move players around to accomodate Chris Nixon which would see Roy demoted.  It's things like this that make me love playing with no attributes though.  Normally I would know as an absolute who would likely be better, where as now I need to work on gut instinct & also address that I will need to be reactive.

Shane McMullan - The only player at the club considered a "Star Player", Shane is right footed but can play on either wing & also up front if needed.  Only 23 & with a good personality, I am expecting a lot from him this season.  I may move him from the right to the left to accomodate Nixon, but that would mean playing with an inverted winger & I'm not sure that's the way I want to go.  Hopefully I can hold onto him too as he wouldn't command a fee being non-contract & there is only two quid left on the wage budget. :lol:

Forwards

Robert Bradley - Mobile striker with a good personality & only 24, will rotate with my other two striking options who all appear to be at a similar level.  Whichever two are in form will start games, so I expect them all to work hard.  Bradley's downside is that he is very poor in the air.

Patrick Carson - The oldest of my strikers at 28, but also the most mobile and best finisher.  Interestingly, the coaches think he is the worst of the three but I actually think he is likely to be my biggest goal threat.  We will see though - I assume they can actually see his attributes.

Josh Noble - My coaches love this bloke, but I am not 100% why.  He's fast & a good dribbler, but not a particularly good finisher, and his work rate is poor.  As I am initially going to play Carson in an advanced forward role, I reckon Josh will be the one to miss out early on.  A good leader though, and third choice as captain.

In summary, I would like to sign 3 more players.  A keeper, cover in central midfield, and a bit of a utility player to sit on the bench.  

Friendlies

image.png.4d9be3d4688c7076123065a33ddc6a5e.png

Got to say that I am VERY happy with this.  Not only because we've done so well, but also because it looks like we've really got goals in us.  Am feeling quite smug about Carson, who my coaches didn't rate, who has scored TEN goals in the 5 friendlies played.  He looks completely deadly.  Not only that though, but we conceeded four goals and I know exactly what went wrong with each.  The two in the reserve game came down the left side after I moved McMullan across to play inverted, and it allowed the opposition right back to get out & put a couple of cracking crosses in, so I don't intend on doing that again any time soon.  Pleased too with Rob Stannard, who is a 16 year old striker from the B Team.  Him, left sided midfield player Cameron Cummings and centre half Stephen Woods all stepped up and got a fair few minutes in & did well.  Ones to watch, I think.

Positivity aside though, it is worth noting that Killymoon, Desertmartin & Coagh all play at a lower level than we do, and Ards seemed to rest quite a few first teamers.  But still, couldn't have asked for more, really.

I've managed to get the cover in I wanted too, following successful trials;

Curtis Massey comes in as goalkeeper cover, and my coaches actually think he's better than Krawczyk.  He is younger at 23, however he we at fault for the goal conceeded against Coagh when we were 6-0 and coasting, so I will be going with Krawczyk as planned initially, but we will see what happens.

Scott McIlwaine bought in on trial to see if he could be decent backup, however he has outperformed Garth Long in preseason and will start as my ball winner in the middle.  Only 21 so hopefully here a while.

Zach Thompson didn't do anything particularly remarkable during his month long trial, but has the ability to play all down the right side as well as central midfield, which is what I wanted as the left side is very well covered.

Looking forward to my opening game of the season against Armagh, who are predicted to come midtable.

One thing that is a struggle though is staff.  I've got adverts out but every applicant is atrocious.  I am keeping the adverts going as I have no choice.  I don't like to use staff search as it is but there's no chance when I can't see the attributes - what's the point?!

October 2021

image.png.3eff03c283ef7e574b7ec5488d93d56a.png

Overall this month surpassed my expectations, however it looks better than it actually was.  Armagh had a man sent off in the first half and we really laboured to the win with a late header from a corner.  Limavady led us 2-0 & then 3-2 before we turned it around late on - another one we got away with.  Ards Rangers are a lower league side and I made 11 changes to rest players for the big derby game against Moyola Park.  We created very little in the derby & missed a late penalty to make i a miserable day.  On the flip side though, the performance against recently relegated PSNI was excellent & knowing we have that in our locker gives me hope - just need to get us performing like that regularly.

This leaves us second, although it's far too early to read anything into league position at this point.

image.png.4cd057a3ee76ba2150006b4c33da5ea0.png

What I don't quite understand is the wage budget.  I've had a couple of offers come in for important players, and as they're all non-contract I wouldn't have been given a fee.  I obviously wanted these players to stay, and so offered them non-contracts.  They outright rejected anything without an appearance fee, so one was agreed, however these appearance fees now seem to be counting towards my wage budget & now I am way over it.  Don't really know what's expected...

Well, in typical Junkhead fashion I lasted about 18 hours from the beta dropping to giving in and buying FM22 :lol:

The bad thing about playing with fake players is that once you stop the save, they disappear forever.... I guess I will never know if Noble or Carson would have scored the most!