Preseason Training

hi all, sorry if this has been asked before. please just point me to where. but i havent been able to find a specific response and i also don't want to just copy a pre-prepared schedule

for preseason is it more beneficial to do more match practice and actual fitness training.

i tend to try and get in more fitness training so my players will improve their stamina for the season ahead. (have yet to see any improvements though)

so far the results of this has been team playing really badly in first few matches losing the first 3 last season but then going on to win the VNL leagues and starting to see the same first season in league 2.  lost or barely drew the first 4 games but suddenly they are holding their own against much better teams. is this doe to better. seems to be cohesion is much more important to match day performance than anything else.

I try to start preseason early (if you have an option to decide on the date) and use the first two weeks to focus exactly on the two areas you already mention, but more specifically with a focus on Endurance, Tactical and Match Practice. I also add in the team building exercises. (I focus mainly on Endurance rather than the other Physical sessions)

Then the weeks after that I focus on tactical familiarity and fitness through friendly matches.

In preseason I typically do not include any training sessions that are more focused on improving attributes or set pieces.

Edited by Dereka

47 minutes ago, crpcarrot said:

thanks i have read that and tried to follow that as my post explains

Sorry, your post doesn't say anything about you reading the link I shared, nor does the part about pre-season I pointed you towards include a pre-prepared schedule.  What it does contain is information regarding match fitness, fatigue, jadedness, physical training and injury risk to help you create your own training schedule, which is exactly what you asked about:

1 hour ago, crpcarrot said:

for preseason is it more beneficial to do more match practice and actual fitness training

TL;DR - yes.

4 hours ago, Dereka said:

I try to start preseason early (if you have an option to decide on the date) and use the first two weeks to focus exactly on the two areas you already mention, but more specifically with a focus on Endurance, Tactical and Match Practice. I also add in the team building exercises. (I focus mainly on Endurance rather than the other Physical sessions)

Then the weeks after that I focus on tactical familiarity and fitness through friendly matches.

In preseason I typically do not include any training sessions that are more focused on improving attributes or set pieces.

cool thanks all will try that sort of setup next season and hopefully not lose the first 4 matches.

8 hours ago, Dereka said:

This is also pretty much what I do with minor tweaks (Specific physical vs an Endurance focus).

Just to add for your next seaon - New signings play a part in that they need time to gel with the squad and may take longer to adjust to tactical familiarity.

• 5 months later...
On 15/10/2021 at 07:27, Dereka said:

Two questions: During training camp, do you stick with 2 sessions per day or 3? Also, how many friendlies do you schedule before the season starts?

Really wish there was more to what my Sports Scientists tell me and the way the injuries happen in the game.

I've tried listening to their advice, which is always that you should be working your squad harder in the preseason, but whenever I do, I end up with loads of injuries. Even in a recent FM podcast on the Athletic, someone from SI said that you should work the players too hard in preseason. 

So, it seems like (with a lot of things within the game) your staff's advice isn't always the best and, though it seems logical, a physically intense training camps don't do much, so you're better off using light, tactical, or technical sessions instead. I have yet to experience a season where I work the squad with a heavy preseason schedule where it works out in my favor.

On 27/03/2022 at 04:22, gunnerfan said:

Two questions: During training camp, do you stick with 2 sessions per day or 3? Also, how many friendlies do you schedule before the season starts?

I typically schedule 4 friendlies, but closer to the start of the season, so that the first weeks of preseason are all about physicals, team bonding and tactical familiarity.

In terms of sessions, it's a balancing act. Mostly I'll do one heavy session (Physical; Endurance; or Match Practice) combined with either one or two very light ones (Tactical, Team Bonding, Goalkeeping)