Do Sports Interactive actually care about the mobile version?

This is in no way a dig at the incredible team that create and improve the mobile version every year. This is aimed more at the fact that there is hardly ever any fanfair regarding the mobile version, no promotional sneak peeks or images to whet your appetite, even the links at the top of this page still say pre register for the 2021 version.

I know the main game is where all of the money is invested and SI have to promote that heavily but we are capable of absorbing more than one thing and just a little thought supporting the mobile version, even with screenshots, would be appreciated. At the rate this is going, there may be some promotional drop the week before release if that or are SI banking on the fact that it’s a feed it to the pigs approach and will sell well anyway.

Sorry for the rant, I was a user of the old forums about 15 years ago and am quite a passionate player of the mobile version and just felt the need to create an account to say this.

Please delete as appropriate.

• SI Staff

(wipes tears from his eyes ;) )

Yes we care a lot about the mobile version and the team do our best to make the game as compelling and enjoyable as possible each year.

With regards to promoting it, that isn't really the area for myself as a developer - but I think we get fairly decent exposure and there are obviously a fair few people enjoying the game so we must be doing something right?

PS - More details of the mobile game will come out in due course, but they tend to come out closer to the release traditionally, I hope you enjoy the game when it is out, I'm quite pleased with how it's shaping up :D

13 minutes ago, Marc Vaughan said:

Yes we care a lot about the mobile version and the team do our best to make the game as compelling and enjoyable as possible each year.

With regards to promoting it, that isn't really the area for myself as a developer - but I think we get fairly decent exposure and there are obviously a fair few people enjoying the game so we must be doing something right?

PS - More details of the mobile game will come out in due course, but they tend to come out closer to the release traditionally, I hope you enjoy the game when it is out, I'm quite pleased with how it's shaping up :D

It was by no means a dig at yourself or the development team, for a mobile version of a main game it more than punches above its weight. I just wish the mobile version got the kudos it deserves. Guess it my own perception is the issue. Thank you for the hard work yuo continually put in.

20 horas atrás, Marc Vaughan disse:

While I understand its not the devs area but it's frustrating for us that love the mobile version, that every year we feel left behind when compared to the main game. 

I'm not saying we need a interview with Miles to talk about the game like the pc version but the community deserves at least a few new features reveal just like the pc version, year after year we feel like an after thought, only knowing about what's new about a week before release. 

Alright rant over 😁

Interesting question. I would be on the mobile teams side and say yes they do actually care about the mobile version. The mobile version is a fantastic game, Marc and the team do great work. They improve the game each year albeit with only a few new additions, some new editions in recent years have been questionable though, do we need the mentoring of younger players or the squad dynamics etc, for me no as there are better features that can be put in the game. Does the mobile game fulfil its full potential? For me no, but with that being said it always offers up a fantastic experience of being a football manager. As with any mobile game or any console game the developers can always do more, just look at FIFA 22 on the next gen consoles, in my opinion it's no way near pushing the next gen consoles to their limit, FIFA 22 is a half baked game and looks no different to how it was on the PS4. Look at PES now Efootball 2022, or P45football 2022 or Ecigarette or whatever it's called now lol, they basically released a broken demo a few weeks ago and have released a game with zero features or game modes lol, imagine if the mobile team did this with the mobile version, they make improvements each year so that shows they care about the mobile version. They actually make the effort and work on the game unlike EA or Konami. I will still buy FMM 22 although I did not like last year's game, but team talks are a must IMO, the game is called Football Manager but you can't give team talks to your players, team talks are a vital part of a being a football manager, team talks before kick off, at half time and full time would be great. Do a Mike Bassett and lay into your players at half time lol. Interesting to see what new features there are this year.

• SI Staff
1 hour ago, Hummingbird Saltalamacchia said:

Interesting question. I would be on the mobile teams side and say yes they do actually care about the mobile version. The mobile version is a fantastic game, Marc and the team do great work. They improve the game each year albeit with only a few new additions

Please understand that the slower evolution of features in the mobile game is entirely intentional - the speed of the game is vital to the medium it's played upon (ie. mobile devices) and as such it is vital that it continues to be a 'snackable' game that can be played in small bursts, for instance when taking a bus/train or waiting in a doctors surgery.  Thus the features have to be crafted carefully and implemented in such a manner as to not slow down the main gameplay experience.

For this reason I take a HUGE amount of time deliberating over such things and trying to get a small number of features working 'right' rather than rushing in more features which might actually be detrimental to the overall feel of the game.

some new editions in recent years have been questionable though, do we need the mentoring of younger players or the squad dynamics etc, for me no as there are better features that can be put in the game. Does the mobile game fulfil its full potential?

Which features are implemented is always going to be a topic for hot-discussion within any game as each user has a slightly different view on what is important and should be given priority.

With regards to the features you mentioned the reasons I added these are:
* Mentoring gives users more control over the development of youngsters at their clubs and allows them to guide their development more directly than previously in areas like mentality/personality. This clarity helps people by allowing them to know that their success/failure is in their hands and also helps by giving a sense of continuation between generations in long-term games (ie. the passing of the baton from an older player to his eventual replacement etc.).
* Squad dynamics makes visible aspects of the game that were always present but somewhat 'hidden' from the user. I always like users being able to see and understand the reasons for their success and failure in the game, so exposing this to people made perfect sense to me - this is the same reason we have the 'news effects' displayed in FMM which explain any knock-ons which might occur from events in the game world.

The 'potential' for the game will probably never be fulfilled as  there is a near infinite number of things which I want to do with it, I've been working on various versions of our products for coming up to 25 years now (yeah I'm THAT old ;) ) and my 'to do' list of features that I want to implement only gets longer each year :D

Hope this helps,

Marc

• SI Staff
14 hours ago, MatiasDFS said:

is there any chance we can know the pre order date on play store? sorry for the eagerness :D

No problem on the eagerness at all, glad you're looking forward to it :D

I'm afraid there isn't a pre-order date available at present because it has to go through a submission process before we know what it is for sure - I expect it'll be revealed/become visible in the  near future though ... watch this space ;)

On 12/10/2021 at 16:50, Marc Vaughan said:

After Fm removed football manager touch from iPads and tablets exist any chance that on fmm 22 come on 3D match Engine this year…cause i really would like to enjoy part of my teams goals and games assists and everything on this area 3D…because in this way I really can understand game of my team

• SI Staff
47 minutes ago, Engjell7 said:

After Fm removed football manager touch from iPads and tablets exist any chance that on fmm 22 come on 3D match Engine this year…cause i really would like to enjoy part of my teams goals and games assists and everything on this area 3D…because in this way I really can understand game of my team

We haven't released the feature set for this years game yet - but I am afraid I can confirm there won't be a 3d match in FMM this year, simply put implementing this will be something that will take quite a while to undertake (we can't just flick a switch and have it appear in a product) - at present a lot of the devices which run FMM simply wouldn't be able to cope with it (especially on android).

6 hours ago, Marc Vaughan said:

We haven't released the feature set for this years game yet - but I am afraid I can confirm there won't be a 3d match in FMM this year, simply put implementing this will be something that will take quite a while to undertake (we can't just flick a switch and have it appear in a product) - at present a lot of the devices which run FMM simply wouldn't be able to cope with it (especially on android).

Question Marc…did u put options on Fmm 22 that turn off facepack on ios phones?

@Marc Vaughan FWIW, I really really like the dynamics and the mentoring. Thanks! 

Of course, following the praise, comes a request, sorry! I know it's too late for FMM22, but one thing I think could be improved with mentoring would be a way to select which skill the mentor should focus on. At the moment I'm trying to improve a youngster's Crossing - I asked Pavon to mentor him, but Pavon doesn't want to help him with Crossing (even though he's significantly better than the player). He wants to help him with something else. As manager I really should be able to say "Hey, Pavon, please work with this player on his Crossing".

Maybe there should be a list of 5 things that make sense for the relationship (ie where the mentor is significantly better), or maybe some other solution, but having more of a say on what they are working on would be great. Thanks.

• SI Staff
6 minutes ago, StephenCronin said:

@Marc Vaughan FWIW, I really really like the dynamics and the mentoring. Thanks! 

Of course, following the praise, comes a request, sorry! I know it's too late for FMM22, but one thing I think could be improved with mentoring would be a way to select which skill the mentor should focus on. At the moment I'm trying to improve a youngster's Crossing - I asked Pavon to mentor him, but Pavon doesn't want to help him with Crossing (even though he's significantly better than the player). He wants to help him with something else. As manager I really should be able to say "Hey, Pavon, please work with this player on his Crossing".

Maybe there should be a list of 5 things that make sense for the relationship (ie where the mentor is significantly better), or maybe some other solution, but having more of a say on what they are working on would be great. Thanks.

I'll have a think about that mentoring for next years version (tad late for this one, sorry) ... you can obviously use the 'focus training' to encourage that from their normal training page in the meantime.

5 minutes ago, Marc Vaughan said:

I'll have a think about that mentoring for next years version (tad late for this one, sorry) ... you can obviously use the 'focus training' to encourage that from their normal training page in the meantime.

Thanks! I knew it would be too late for this year.

Yeah, I use focus training to shape players and love that - but you can generally get a little extra improvement via mentoring and it just a little frustrating when you have someone who is perfect to help with something you're looking for and you can't actually get them to work on that. I've even bought players in the past specifically to boost my wonderkid in something, only to find they won't help with that. I've gotten better at picking the right players to buy as a mentor - if you want to improve Crossing or Aerial or Shooting, forget players who have high Aggression, Leadership, Teamwork, etc as they will want to work on those things. 🙂 

Marc Vaughan - thank you very much for your detailed and interesting/insightful reply. I know many others including yourself may like the squad dynamics and mentoring features but personally I would have put in other exciting things but I am not going to argue with you as you are the expert and obviously I know making games ain't easy. I hope you get to cross off many things on your to do list by 2075 or something lol. Seriously though great work on the mobile version. Looking forward to seeing what you have added to this year's game and to see if your to do list is now smaller lol. 👍

18 horas atrás, Marc Vaughan disse:

What about national teams management, any changes? If you can reveal that is 😉

57 minutos atrás, Engjell7 disse:

I think they still doesn’t release licenses of Germany Team

To be honest I don't care about that personally, I was asking about revamping the way national teams are managed, having more options, close to the pc version. 

5 hours ago, Hildor said:

To be honest I don't care about that personally, I was asking about revamping the way national teams are managed, having more options, close to the pc version. 

Or even just bringing it in line with club management in FMM. 

For example, currently you can't manage your staff as an international manager and there is no scouting, training, dynamics info. 

Edited by passenger58

1 hora atrás, passenger58 disse:

Or even just bringing it in line with club management in FMM. 

For example, currently you can't manage your staff as an international manager and there is no scouting, training, dynamics info. 

Exactly. I would also like more options to convince second nationality players and even players gaining nationality in the game 

• SI Staff
16 hours ago, hdcantona721 said:

Will this get 'instant result' ? (or does it already have it?) - That was what I liked most about FM Touch - building a team, setting it up and then instant result (with a gameplan) 

FMM doesn't have an 'instant result' button - however it's matches have been tuned to be far faster than FMT's were, if you use commentary only and the highest speed setting you'll find they take very little time to blitz through (which gives you a nice medium where you can blast through a season in a few hours, but retain some control to turn around matches if something unexpected occurs during the match).

48 minutes ago, Marc Vaughan said:

FMM doesn't have an 'instant result' button - however it's matches have been tuned to be far faster than FMT's were, if you use commentary only and the highest speed setting you'll find they take very little time to blitz through (which gives you a nice medium where you can blast through a season in a few hours, but retain some control to turn around matches if something unexpected occurs during the match).

Thanks for your response - I still think that'll be a bit time consuming not sure I want the 'in game' management aspect but if FMM ends up getting instant result I'll look into it then - but maybe I can get the full fat one and use a skin to instant result or something 

11 hours ago, Marc Vaughan said:

It would be useful (to me) to have instant results. I wouldn't normally play that way, but I would in some careers or maybe just for some games. Even on highest speed and commentary only, it can take 2 to 3 minutes per game (on a Samsung Galaxy S20). Not too bad, but still takes significant time to get through a 60 game season. 

Making the Holiday - One Day feature respect the current team selection would be a start - although I'd much rather have the real match engine calculated results. From what I can tell (might be completely wrong), the entirety of each half is calculated at the start of each half (though obviously recalculated if there are subs or tactics changes) - it would be great to be able to just get that result instantly (maybe a "finish half" button). Of course if you did that, we'd be asking for auto subs etc, so I can understand how that would get a little complicated - but maybe this one for the wish list. :) 

• SI Staff
4 hours ago, bh02032002 said:

Just a curious question, but since there is now 5 leagues allowed to be loaded, can the sim be more then 30 years? Just curious is all, thanks

We're not looking to extend that at this point.

• SI Staff
16 hours ago, bh02032002 said:

Just a curious question, but since there is now 5 leagues allowed to be loaded, can the sim be more then 30 years? Just curious is all, thanks

To clarify the design decisions involved - The 30 year limit was chosen for multiple reasons:

(1) It is 'roughly' the career length for the average football manager.
(2) It allows us to test the game to 'finish' which is important for some platforms (where it might be a requirement from the platform holder).
(3) It allows us to know the maximum memory usage the game will have on a platform. This allows us to vastly improve the games stability on older devices.

Finally expanding the duration can vastly increase the memory usage (and save game storage space) because each year stored holds memories - both for competitions, fixtures but also for players, achievements etc. - so we're cautious about expanding this side of things because it might prevent some people from being able to play the game.

Ok thank you very much, thought I’d ask, and it’s understandable that you want as many players playing as possible, cheers and have a great day

2 hours ago, Marc Vaughan said:

To clarify the design decisions involved - The 30 year limit was chosen for multiple reasons:

(1) It is 'roughly' the career length for the average football manager.
(2) It allows us to test the game to 'finish' which is important for some platforms (where it might be a requirement from the platform holder).
(3) It allows us to know the maximum memory usage the game will have on a platform. This allows us to vastly improve the games stability on older devices.

Finally expanding the duration can vastly increase the memory usage (and save game storage space) because each year stored holds memories - both for competitions, fixtures but also for players, achievements etc. - so we're cautious about expanding this side of things because it might prevent some people from being able to play the game.