Football Manager 2022 Headline Feature Blogs

3 hours ago, Artin said:

i hope it's not an empty claim this time.

year after year after year after year i buy FM only to find my wide players go near the byline and cross the ball repeatedly to the defender's legs causing a corner.

it doesn't matter what the attributes of the players are or how many teammates are around him -- the game will 99.99% of the time elect to try to cross the ball instead of another option.

that's literally all i want from FM. don't care about anything else except for that one particular thing from the ME.

When I ran a full season test of FM 21.4, crosses was indeed one of several stats where there were large differences between the Full Match Engine (FME) and Quick Match Engine (QME) and equivalent real world equivalents. Average crosses over a season were 723 actuals, 1390 FME and 878 QME… significant differences. For Dribbles made the FME and QME produced similar results but were way lower than real world equivalents 395 actuals, 128 FME and 127 QME.. there were other areas too.

I understand that FM definitions will not align exactly with their real world equivalents but they should be at least broadly in line for both the FME and QME. It is important that FME and QME give similar results so that scouting/search comparisons are not rendered useless.

Hopefully the stats produced by the QME will have been revised to take account of the stats produced by this years FME after changes to AI with both being closer, so far as is possible, to their real world equivalents. 

Edited by mhaffy

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Thanks for pointing this out. Goes to show how easily something can be misconstrued! :brock: 

I corrected my post.

It shows, that I'm not perfect and will occasionally do some gaffs/mistakes. When it happens I will correct them and if is offensive apologise to that some one... so, carry on with the thread.

25 minutes ago, autohoratio said:

Am I mistaken or was this already in the game?

Telling players you expect them in training after a bad performance and that session being scheduled automatically the next day is definitely a thing already. Used it a few times myself.

The squad meeting after every game is new though. I like it, can't say how many times I wanted to speak to my players after a few bad results and got that annoying "there isn't a suitable reason to hold a team meeting" screen. :thup:

25 minutes ago, Zemahh said:

The squad meeting after every game is new though. I like it, can't say how many times I wanted to speak to my players after a few bad results and got that annoying "there isn't a suitable reason to hold a team meeting" screen. :thup:

Agreed! That’s really nice.

also like the new text options added, for variety.

58 minutes ago, Zemahh said:

Telling players you expect them in training after a bad performance and that session being scheduled automatically the next day is definitely a thing already. Used it a few times myself.

Yea I’ll be more open to throw the water bottle now that I know I can resolve some problems the next day.

Its frustrating that so many people had complained about the potential increase in Inbox items and had asked for better implementation of this to increase immersion, but then in the same breathe have complained of the changes to DD and Staff meetings because they are "just UI/UX changes".

I think the blogs were great to explain in more detail how and why these changes have been made :)

Really pleased to read about the new pressing and defensive improvements. In past versions, I’ve stopped playing FM because I’ve felt defensive positioning and pressing were totally unrealistic and unlike anything approaching real football. Honestly thought it was a complete shambles and more akin to a 5 year old’s drawing than anything close to sophisticated tactical organisation in the defensive/transition phases. That was a real disappointment for me in prior iterations of FM.

I’ve been highly critical of the poor level of defending in past FM version so it is really nice to see that the Sports Interactive team have been working on this. It’s a credit to them when their looking to listen to their users and improve the experience for us to move closer to real football. That’s what we all want to see - the product on the pitch, and our ability to impact it, matching what we’d see in real life so it looks and feels like actual football (as opposed to just exploiting an unrealistic match engine).

So naturally, I am excited to hear about these upgrades and will be watching the demo videos and user feedback closely to see how well these defensive upgrades are performing when the actual game is released. If the play in the match engine matches what is described in the blog and really takes defending to another level and more akin to real life pressing and positioning, then I could be in the exciting position of actually wanting to buy the game! I’d be quite euphoric if I could actually genuinely look forward to an FM save for the first time in years, without the old defensive frustrations of lack of realism and poor positioning/pressing/marking/decision-making.

The fact that the blog mentions forwards getting behind the ball to create more vertical compactness was like reading poetry - very happy with this and so much more like how real life forwards behave in modern defensive schemes.

There seems a lot to get excited about and the new Wide Centre Back role is also something I am deeply thrilled about! What a great addition - and it seems a lot of thought has gone into it with regards to positioning and support offered by nearby players in response to the Wide Centre Back’s movement. Excellent!

Let’s hope the actual product matches my initial enthusiasm and excitement. If so, the Sports Interactive team will have made me very happy and I’ll once again become an FM player. Can’t wait! Thank you - and keep up the good work in this area! 👏😊👍🥳

👏👏👏

^

I apologise if this sounds stupid, but why does it make sense to focus on improving player's weaker foot when it's already Reasonable? How is that a "weakness", when they're both clearly fairly adept with both feet already? Wouldn't you just be wasting player's PA at this point, even if you could improve his weaker foot a notch?

8 minutes ago, Zemahh said:

^

I apologise if this sounds stupid, but why does it make sense to focus on improving player's weaker foot when it's already Reasonable? How is that a "weakness", when they're both clearly fairly adept with both feet already? Wouldn't you just be wasting player's PA at this point, even if you could improve his weaker foot a notch?

Not sure what is the reason behind it but weak foot is also on an attribute scale of 1-20 so 'reasonable' can be within a range of 8-12 for example. So a player with a weak foot of 7 will be rated as 'weak' while a player with a weak foot of 8 will be rated 'reasonable' even though there is little difference between them. But I agree that improving the weaker foot is not a priority of most players and definitely not a priority for a midfielder or full back as shown in the screenshot.

Edited by zyfon5

7 minutes ago, Zemahh said:

^

1 minute ago, zyfon5 said:

Not sure what is the reason behind it but weak foot is also on an attribute scale of 1-20 so 'reasonable' can be within a range of 8-12 for example. So a player with a weak foot of 7 will be rated as 'weak' while a player with a weak foot of 8 will be rated 'reasonable' even though there is little difference between them.

Unless it's being changed for FM22, player's can't improve their weak foot past "reasonable" anyway, unless they are born with "reasonable" (or better) when created as a newgen (or if a Researcher identifies a real life player as such).  So it really doesn't take up much PA.

Also worth noting it's still optional, it's just a staff member asking the question.

1 hour ago, Zemahh said:

^

I honestly wouldn't overthink things like using up a players PA. If you think using both feet could be useful for a player then tell him to do it, its not gonna stop a player from being stuck at 3 stars for example and never becoming 4 stars. Thinking about using PA points is an unnatural way to think about player development (unless you're already looking at a players PA anyway?) and IMO (just my opinion) takes away from just molding a player in to the type of player thats good for your system.

Edited by Platinum

2 hours ago, akm.91 said:

So...Autosaves are now being put forward as new features?? 

Is there something specific you can quote or link to that expands on this? I don't recall seeing anything just touting the autosave aspect as a feature. 

8 minutes ago, santy001 said:

Is there something specific you can quote or link to that expands on this? I don't recall seeing anything just touting the autosave aspect as a feature. 

I'm guessing he points to what Miles said about autosaves also being available to set real time limits for autosaves.

2 hours ago, akm.91 said:

So...Autosaves are now being put forward as new features?? 

No, what Miles is tweeting about is small features and QoL things, and this falls firmly into the 2nd category. It's something I'm certain I've seen requested my users in here, so someone will be very happy about it.

Just now, XaW said:

I'm guessing he points to what Miles said about autosaves also being available to set real time limits for autosaves.

But no, what Miles are tweeting about is small features and QoL things. And this falls firmly into the 2nd category. It's something I'm certain I've seen requested my users in here, so someone will be very happy about it.

Thanks for the  info. That's actually something I like being added. I am a painfully slow player, so this is quite handy to have. It's obviously not something major, but little additions like this improves the overall experience.

Just now, HUNT3R said:

Thanks for the  info. That's actually something I like being added. I am a painfully slow player, so this is quite handy to have. It's obviously not something major, but little additions like this improves the overall experience.

Here it is from the source.

30 minutes ago, santy001 said:

Yeah, Miles Jacobson used #FM22Features in his hashtag on the tweet lol 

12 minutes ago, akm.91 said:

Yeah, Miles Jacobson used #FM22Features

"We've added more options to the autosave feature, you can now set your game to save every 30 or 60 real-time minutes". So, a genuine new feature. I swear some posters in these threads are just trolling.

15 minutes ago, akm.91 said:

Yeah, Miles Jacobson used #FM22Features in his hashtag on the tweet lol 

So yeah, its a new feature because it wasn't in the game before, but now it is. I was looking at the original post in this thread because its titled headline features and couldn't see it. 

But a feature, something that is included/happens with the game, and it being new... they kind of have to be described as new features.

2 hours ago, saihtam said:

I dont understand the dot thing. Is it just showing twice the info with dots and then with colour scheme of the box that we had before...?

Re the dots my guess is that it is a quick visual way of showing how many players have influence in each "square" of the pitch with the colour showing what their level of influence is - "High positive influence", "Low Positive Influence" etc. In the past you had to click on a square to gain understanding of how many players were influencing. This would seem to give you very quick visual overview for each square with the option still to click on a square to gain more information in terms of which players are influencing (the players behind the dots.....) .....This is only my guess at this stage...all will be revealed in due course....

Edited by mhaffy

2 hours ago, saihtam said:

I dont understand the dot thing. Is it just showing twice the info with dots and then with colour scheme of the box that we had before...?

Don't like the look of it myself.

Also, sorry Miles, but parading "Dynamic Rivalries" as an FM22 feature when it's been in since FM16 doesn't give off "buy me" vibes. Good that its improved but saying it's a feature? Please.

Really think SI are struggling this year. Understandable considering the circumstances but do they ever consider alternate annual releasing a "new game" then a cheaper paid for season update patch? 

Edited by ImDaWeasel

What a joke. What we are getting is basically improved match engine (shouldn't even count as a new feature in the first place, since it should be always improving every year anyway), a repackage of the analysis section, a new role and the "last transfer day drama"?

What about actual juice like transfer system overhaul, international management overhaul, AI squad building and man managing overhaul, stadium editor, etc... ?

Even better, how about fixing the editor? I've reported this bug 3 times in the last 3 consecutive years and it's still present in the current version.

And no one even bothered answering. Is there any point reporting at all?

Since we can't even get decent features at least bug fixing???

7 hours ago, ImDaWeasel said:

Don't like the look of it myself.

Also, sorry Miles, but parading "Dynamic Rivalries" as an FM22 feature when it's been in since FM16 doesn't give off "buy me" vibes. Good that its improved but saying it's a feature? Please.

This isn't everything. Miles said that it's been improved 'drastically'.

31 minutes ago, Zemahh said:

Similarly to how they're bringing back training weaker foot through Traits as a feature, after they literally just took it out last year. They must be a bit indecisive.

If it's coming back, it's not going to be exactly the same, so it won't be a case of 'just bringing it back'. 

8 hours ago, DMaster2 said:

What about actual juice like transfer system overhaul, international management overhaul, AI squad building and man managing overhaul, stadium editor, etc... ?

Even better, how about fixing the editor? I've reported this bug 3 times in the last 3 consecutive years and it's still present in the current version.

I was playing CM03/04 on and off for many, many years and FM19 was my first FM - there wasn't much difference in international management between the two - so it badly needs some love.  There was a nice discussion thread on international management in the feature requests section, with some well thought out and really interesting ideas.  I'll be very disappointed if nothing changes.  SI talk about their high standards, but I can't see how this section of the game comes even close to meeting them.

Same with the editor.  I have done bits and pieces with the editor for the San Marino Challenge, but am by no means even an average user.  However, when the community loses a first class editor like the mighty @claassen because the editor is bugged, there's clearly a big problem - and again I'll be very disappointed if I see bug threads about the editor.

There's still some time to go with announcements, so we still live in hope...

20 hours ago, autohoratio said:

First interesting addition for me- that positional strength/weakness display with dots showing the number of players affecting each area? Useful, but I guess SI think that deadline day is flashier, so they put that as the headline feature, even though this is a game about tactics, first and foremost.

29 minutes ago, akm.91 said:

Since it has been brought up...Genuine question: When was the last time international management was updated? It hasn’t changed, from what I can see, since I started playing in 2008. 

Which is a shame because I got into FM in 2012 because of the “depth” international management had compared to other games at the time. Sadly nothing have changed since then. It is massively outdated compared to  squad management. You can’t even train you squad.

13 hours ago, DMaster2 said:

What a joke. What we are getting is basically improved match engine (shouldn't even count as a new feature in the first place, since it should be always improving every year anyway), a repackage of the analysis section, a new role and the "last transfer day drama"?

And no one even bothered answering. Is there any point reporting at all?

Since we can't even get decent features at least bug fixing???

Don’t worry we will have woman’s football in a few years or so.

No shot at woman’s football but it isn’t far fetch that in a few years the headline feature will be Woman’s football with maybe a UI change while things like Intentional a management is still largely unchanged. 

1 hour ago, akm.91 said:

Since it has been brought up...Genuine question: When was the last time international management was updated? It hasn’t changed, from what I can see, since I started playing in 2008. 

They can't get player ratings right. Doubt they have the capacity to give international management the update that is long overdue. 

Anyhow, deadline day section and pink flashes on purple skin and rehashing old features as new features are far bigger priorities. 🙃

53 minutes ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

Which is a shame because I got into FM in 2012 because of the “depth” international management had compared to other games at the time. Sadly nothing have changed since then. It is massively outdated compared to  squad management. You can’t even train you squad.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I like doing an international save alongside my club saves and let's just say the whole international management experience could be far more immersive. 

3 minutes ago, stevemc said:

I genuinely don't bother with international management anymore, it's not engaging enough, 100% needs a revamp, that would class as a new feature. It must be on the list, surely.

I’m not even sure if it’s even high on the list. I’m assuming that they prioritize features based on data and I am guessing data will suggest that people aren’t using international teams but people aren’t using it because it isn’t fun anymore.

16 hours ago, ImDaWeasel said:

Really think SI are struggling this year. Understandable considering the circumstances but do they ever consider alternate annual releasing a "new game" then a cheaper paid for season update patch?

Dont want to be mean guy, but this should not be excuse used anymore. Last year would been understandable and take your time. But enough time has passed and adaption to work from home is not that huge thing to do. If there are issues then the company/management is not adaptive enough and probably we can see that these are being addressed in the news post about going over to agile method (what was surprising that was not before and for me explained the progress of FM in the years or there for lack in some aspects. )

1 hour ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

I’m not even sure if it’s even high on the list. I’m assuming that they prioritize features based on data and I am guessing data will suggest that people aren’t using international teams but people aren’t using it because it isn’t fun anymore.

Would be perfect time next year, considering WC is also in the winter. Headline feature and marketing would be match in heaven.

1 hour ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

Don’t worry we will have woman’s football in a few years or so.

No shot at woman’s football but it isn’t far fetch that in a few years the headline feature will be Woman’s football with maybe a UI change while things like Intentional a management is still largely unchanged. 

Women's football. WOMEN'S. There is more than one woman who plays football.

2 hours ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

I wouldn't say nothing has changed to international management since FM12. There have been changes... but those changes haven't been for the better.

On FM13 (and maybe even as recently as FM16), you could hold private chats with any of your international players - for example, to praise/criticise their club form, or suggest that they move to another club if they're not playing enough. That feature has been completely absent from the international side of the game since FM17 at least. I still have no idea why it was taken away.

I love international management, but on recent FMs, it's become so stale and bare bones that it's not really worth playing.

36 minutes ago, CFuller said:

Women's football. WOMEN'S. There is more than one woman who plays football.

I wouldn't say nothing has changed to international management since FM12. There have been changes... but those changes haven't been for the better.

On FM13 (and maybe even as recently as FM16), you could hold private chats with any of your international players - for example, to praise/criticise their club form, or suggest that they move to another club if they're not playing enough. That feature has been completely absent from the international side of the game since FM17 at least. I still have no idea why it was taken away.

I love international management, but on recent FMs, it's become so stale and bare bones that it's not really worth playing.

Typos do happen especially on Internet forums.

fm_vRIn6IXvS9.jpg

From this image if you look on the right hand side in the background you can see that you can get player reports for players that aren't playing for your team which is great news. Some of the players don't even play in the same league, Josef Martinez plays in the MLS, so assuming they hadn't all transferred to the Bundesliga in the game then you can get player reports for players that aren't your opponents. Guess we will have to wait till beta/release to know for sure though.

15 minutes ago, Platinum said:

fm_vRIn6IXvS9.jpg

From this image if you look on the right hand side in the background you can see that you can get player reports for players that aren't playing for your team which is great news. Some of the players don't even play in the same league, Josef Martinez plays in the MLS, so assuming they hadn't all transferred to the Bundesliga in the game then you can get player reports for players that aren't your opponents. Guess we will have to wait till beta/release to know for sure though.

My guess is they're players you scouted because when you send a scout to watch a player your analyst also does the same