Football Manager 2022 Headline Feature Blogs

• Administrators

By now you've hopefully seen our Feature Videos, but now it's time to add a bit more detail, with four blogs linked in the titles below covering some of the major areas for Football Manager 2022.

ON-PITCH AUTHENTICITY
A new animation engine elevates Matchdays with far most realistic dribbling and player movement. Our brand-new pressing system brings a new level of intelligence, unlocking smarter decision making and realism. The new Wide Centre Back role replicates the latest tactical innovation allowing you to turn defence into attack. 

1.jpg

POWERED BY DATA
Find your winning edge in the all-new Data Hub with the same analytics and reporting methods that the biggest and best clubs are using in the professional game. Create your own custom dashboard packed with stats and insights that will help you understand your performances and make smarter decisions on match preparation and player development.

2.jpg

BACKROOM REWRITE
Based on real-world insight from managers across the professional game, new, true-to-life staff meetings allow you to lean on your backroom staff more than ever. With the frequency set by you, your inner circle gatherings now provide a greater a level of support and organisation that will propel your project and players to new heights. 

3.png

DEADLINE DAY DRAMA
Feel the highs and lows of one of the most dramatic fixtures in the football calendar with a redesigned Deadline Day experience. Replicating the unpredictability and immersion of the transfer window’s climax, the revamp completely changes the dynamic, as does a rewrite of player values and a host of new scouting improvements. 

4.jpg

Don't forget pre-purchase FM22 on PC/Mac anytime before launch to secure Early Access and net 10% off. 

Participating digital retailers only - https://FM22.info/SegaApproved

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to admit i really liked the blogs and the words on the new ME caught me even more. Data Hub i think will have a huge impact to certain decisions like transfers or tactical decisions as data will be heavily affected by the new changes to the ME in terms of accuracy / inaccuracy. I also kinda get into the other things. However, there was almost no word about how the AI behind all the recommendations for staff meetings changed. They will only work for me if the decisions to make actually make sense at least. There was at least some talking about changes to how agents approach their offers to us mangers, that could make deadline worth having a closer look at.

Edited by CARRERA

13 minutes ago, BuzzR said:

Should we dare to hope ?

"Don’t mistake this upgrade for a simple lick of paint – our drastic staff interaction overhaul is anchored by the all-new weekly Staff Meeting."

Interesting. I didn’t even know they was an article. I only read what was posted in this thread.

13 minutes ago, BuzzR said:

Should we dare to hope ?

"Don’t mistake this upgrade for a simple lick of paint – our drastic staff interaction overhaul is anchored by the all-new weekly Staff Meeting."

Has the AI behind the advice being shown been overhauled/revised..... or is the Staff Meeting a slicker UI that just pulls together same information that was previously advised separately.....

16 minutes ago, BuzzR said:

Should we dare to hope ?

actually i didnt notice that. thanks for quoting. that makes me even more hoping for it at least to be better

"When viewing match stats during a game, you can now view first half and second half stats as well as the overall totals from the match."

Im not quite sure what that quote above means, if anyone else understands it could they explain it please?

"You’ll notice far more passes being played in general as we felt that getting the ball from the back to the front was a little too fast paced and one area we’ve focused on in particular is getting central defenders to play more passes as they look to patiently create an opening."

Very happy with this, it happened far too often in FM21, and also another quote from the article suggests that because of the new animation system players are more able to pass the ball backwards instead of making crosses that are unlikely to reach their target.

The data hub still looks very good, although its a shame that it looks like you can't get player data hub type analysis for players you have scouted or upcoming opponent players.

There isnt a mention of new information we didnt previously get in the Staff Meetings but it is definitely an improvement, the less inbox items the better and it looks to really gather lots of information that was easy to miss into one meeting, which is more realistic and will also improve the gameplay experience. Im all for moving as many things away from the Inbox and instead to interactive screens that are more immersive. This area definitely needs improved suggestions and logic though.

The new match engine work is fantastic and we now see Cryuff turns and potentially other tricks. Im sure we will more skill moves in future games too.

Transfer Deadline Day is ok, I wouldn't have been on my list of improvements to make but it does look like we might be able to get some good deals on that day. Tbh it would have been good to hear about the new Transfer Value system as that looks like it could be significant.

Overall im looking forward to FM22 as the data analysis is much better, the match engine seems to be much improved and there are less inbox items and instead more immersive screens with the introduction with Staff Meetings. I do hope that the player and staff interaction logic is improved though as this is desperately needed and that on release it is mostly bug free and has no near-game-breaking bugs as the FM21 release was filled with so many bugs.

Edited by Platinum

Really looking forward to the New animation engine, dribbling, pressing and particularly the Further AI Enhancements - "One of the most significant areas we’ve worked on this year is accuracy and inaccuracy, making sure that the number of errors on shots, passes and headers is more realistic compared to real-life data". Really hoping that the stats produced by the Quick Match Engine (QME) have been addressed to take account of the implementation of the changes being made to the Full Match Engine (FME) AI and associated match/player stats. In FM21 there were clearly issues between the FME and QME  (and also with some real-life equivalent data) -  for players who liked the immersion and use stats when comparing/scouting players etc this was clearly a major issue. Information was provided in bugs section and this was flagged as a "Known Issue".

Reading the blog covering On Pitch Authenticity gives me hope that the FME and QME stats outputs have been addressed for consistency as part of FM22 development and testing; particularly as FM22 is "Powered by Data" with the introduction of the Data Hub.

Edited by mhaffy

43 minutes ago, mhaffy said:

Really looking forward to the New animation engine, dribbling, pressing and particularly the Further AI Enhancements - "One of the most significant areas we’ve worked on this year is accuracy and inaccuracy, making sure that the number of errors on shots, passes and headers is more realistic compared to real-life data". Really hoping that the stats produced by the Quick Match Engine (QME) have been addressed to take account of the implementation of the changes being made to the Full Match Engine (FME) AI and associated match/player stats. In FM21 there were clearly issues between the FME and QME  (and also with some real-life equivalent data) -  for players who liked the immersion and use stats when comparing/scouting players etc this was clearly as issue. Information was provided in bugs section and this was flagged as a "Known Issue".

Reading the blog covering On Pitch Authenticity gives me hope that the FME and QME stats outputs have been addressed for consistency as part of FM22 development and testing; particularly as FM22 is "Powered by Data" with the introduction of the Data Hub.

This is by far the main thing I will be looking for too during the BETA.

No point having this "Data Hub" as a headline feature if the data going into it isn't accurate/consistent. Fingers crossed!

I wanted a much better match engine. I also want better graphics and better AI management for the long haul games and immersion (clear, different management philosophies on and off the pitch).  

So many others have also been pining for match engine improvements and this seems to point to exactly that so those people should be very happy.  

staff meeting in action

In the blog it mentions that 'Recruitment' is also an area in the staff meetings but Recruitment doesn't appear at the top alongside Coaching, Development and Staffing. Is this just because the screenshot is an early version or was there some error?

3 minutes ago, Platinum said:

In the blog it mentions that 'Recruitment' is also an area in the staff meetings but Recruitment doesn't appear at the top alongside Coaching, Development and Staffing. Is this just because the screenshot is an early version or was there some error?

Maybe the Recruitment option only appears if there is a place available or recommendation?

Much better than the videos!

Not too keen on the in-match screenshot though. Where's the timeline showing goals, cards etc.? Would really suck if you're not able to have things on the screen too. I always play with the league table and latest scores in the match so I can see how the competition is getting on and how it affects the table.

54 minutes ago, majesticeternity said:

Really hope the AI has been improved! 

When a 21-year old Haaland is released on a free, despite Dortmund having 70m euro transfer budget and 1.3m/year wages free, it kind of kills the immersion and the challenge. 

oh, a new staff meeting setup? Deadline day? Agents offering players? ...

when you’ve picked up 7 of the top 30 players in the world on frees and cheap deals a month ago, none of that is useful..

But if the AI is better, then these features could be good. 

This^^^ All day long. If I'm playing I really do stop myself looking around the leagues too much because you inevitably spot an abundance of AI related "couldn't happen in a million years" scenarios.

I hope that the introduction of something like these staff meetings means it is now a lot more viable to have saves where you're delegating a lot more to your staff and more in line with the real world (at least for the bigger clubs anyway). How many real life managers are actively involved in assigning where their scouts go?

Little underwhelming but at least they're steady improvements. The dribbling and player movement is a great new feature and should open the door to better enhancements going forward, looking at that screenshot, it looks like the scoreboard has been improved (hopefully they've added the 3-letter team names too) as it was a disaster in FM21 and needed to be modded to death, so that's a bonus :D

Data Hub looks like a good addition, but my fear is most of it is just a re-purpose of current information that's already available, but it is a good move to consolidate all that data in to one place which is easy to find and digest.

Backroom Re-write again, looks like a good addition, but probably a re-purpose of current information that's already available, but we shall see.

Deadline Day, tbh it's not something I use regular at all. I'm a planner, so my signing's are planned in advance and done early 90% of the time. Deadline Day is probably something I use more at the start of a lower league save to wheel & deal, but once I've built up and established a club I barely use it. I think for Deadline Day to be really effective they'd need to re-write the AI transfers/squad building so it's not so easy to buy whoever you want so early in the window, maybe made clubs more stubborn and more intelligent in their own squad building. Maybe this would tie in better to a transfer hub. Although it would be great if Fabrizio Romano is included in this, and on the social feeds, breaking transfer news - would be a cool little immersion feature. #HereWeGo

I'll say it again, but a HUGE miss on SI's part not overhauling the Set Pieces for FM22, the UX/UI has been clunky (and limited!) for a while in that area and needs looking at. An inclusion of a set piece coach would have been great too.

Looking forward to see what Miles tweets out over the next couple of weeks, see what small additions have been made.

Edited by stevemc

One thing I noticed from the screenshot, is that whilst the goalscorer was detailed, the "assister" wasn't

I remember when FM21 was released this was the case also and then the "Assister" was added later

Will this be included from release this time I wonder?

15 minutes ago, stevemc said:

Little underwhelming but at least they're steady improvements. The dribbling and player movement is a great new feature and should open the door to better enhancements going forward, looking at that screenshot, it looks like the scoreboard has been improved (hopefully they've added the 3-letter team names too) as it was a disaster in FM21 and needed to be modded to death, so that's a bonus :D

Data Hub looks like a good addition, but my fear is most of it is just a re-purpose of current information that's already available, but it is a good move to consolidate all that data in to one place which is easy to find and digest.

Backroom Re-write again, looks like a good addition, but probably a re-purpose of current information that's already available, but we shall see.

Deadline Day, tbh it's not something I use regular at all. I'm a planner, so my signing's are planned in advance and done early 90% of the time. Deadline Day is probably something I use more at the start of a lower league save to wheel & deal, but once I've built up and established a club I barely use it. I think for Deadline Day to be really effective they'd need to re-write the AI transfers/squad building so it's not so easy to buy whoever you want so early in the window, maybe made clubs more stubborn and more intelligent in their own squad building. Maybe this would tie in better to a transfer hub. Although it would be great if Fabrizio Romano is included in this, and on the social feeds, breaking transfer news - would be a cool little immersion feature. #HereWeGo

I'll say it again, but a HUGE miss on SI's part not overhauling the Set Pieces for FM22, the UX/UI has been clunky (and limited!) for a while in that area and needs looking at. An inclusion of a set piece coach would have been great too.

Looking forward to see what Miles tweets out over the next couple of weeks, see what small additions have been made.

One thing that was mentioned is revamp market values. Maybe teams will not be so willing to sell a player so easy or at-least ask for way over the market value. We shall see though. DD should be a day that most of us should be looking forward to in game because of the cheaper deals. 

7 hours ago, majesticeternity said:

Really hope the AI has been improved! 

When a 21-year old Haaland is released on a free, despite Dortmund having 70m euro transfer budget and 1.3m/year wages free, it kind of kills the immersion and the challenge. 

oh, a new staff meeting setup? Deadline day? Agents offering players? ...

when you’ve picked up 7 of the top 30 players in the world on frees and cheap deals a month ago, none of that is useful..

But if the AI is better, then these features could be good. 

Considering I've seen human players struggle to get Haaland interested in a new contract, what if Haaland himself doesn't want to renew? (And he really shouldn't considering the interest in him) I'd openly welcome more Haaland's that refuse to renew their contracts at any point, as keeping your big names at clubs that are not good enough for them as been far too easy in FM.

What's so immersion breaking about big name free agents? Look at real life, it's starting to look very likely that Mbappé and Pogba are gonna leave on a free. Dortmund also did the same with Lewa in the past, keeping him for the last year rather than selling him for a low price.

It was interesting read, but as someone that values FMT more then fat FM, 3/4 of these features went over my head.

Of the 4 main features, only the on-pitch authenticy sounds alike a good improvement. To bad it took SI a long time to bring these things to the game... :(

I just saw Miles Announcing on twitter that they added 4000 lines to new team talk & team meeting strings into FM22.

What He doesn't tell and later he confirms is the 4000 lines includes translations. So it's not 4000 lines added it is much, much lower then that.

:brock:

Edit: When I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I misread Miles quote. Sorry :( It is 4000 lines English + translations.

Edited by grade

"Quite simply, the FM22 match engine is the best that FM has ever seen."

Well... big talk for sure. 

I'm still not convinced "pressing" in the game has ever looked good (to my eye defenders don't know where attacking players are, only where the ball is) - but even if it still looks a bit out of whack if it's a lot harder for players to run and run all game that might be a real worthwhile improvement. 

Edited by bobbyb12345

10 minutes ago, bobbyb12345 said:

Well... big talk for sure. 

I'm still not convinced "pressing" in the game has ever looked good (to my eye defenders don't know where attacking players are, only where the ball is) - but even if it still looks a bit out of whack if it's a lot harder for players to run and run all game that might be a real worthwhile improvement. 

Well last year was the best…I can only imagine it’ll get better with new animations.

Gotta admit, nothing ive seen so far has me excited.

Also seen on twitter from Miles thats the UI for team talks is still the same which is dissapointing as the UI splits the team up. Was much easier to read in previous years.

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, Peter 04 said:

I'm sorry, but that is not true. Miles confirmed that the 4000 lines have been translated too, not that they are included in that number (which would be silly).

Thanks for pointing this out. Goes to show how easily something can be misconstrued! :brock: 

Personally, I am very excited about the effect inaccuracy will have on the ME. It is such a big part of the game - and as a former midfielder it always made me mad when in real life the flow of an attack was stopped because of an inaccurate pass - be it in the CL or in lower leagues.. I would love to hear more about that on twitter or in blog entries!

And, another thing I would love to hear something of: Is there a connection between the psychological aspect of the game and inaccurary? We all know how important self-confidence is and how quickly it can change. In real life, you sometimes see teams that simply don't believe they can win (e.g. games against Bayern Munich), and it shows in their accuracy of passing, shooting etc. Or, if goalscorers are on a poor run, they sometimes overhit a shot and so on. I would love for that to be visible on the pitch, ideally changing during a match: Sometimes, one random stroke of luck or just a nice tackle can rally a team to start believing in themselves again - and more accuracy or more fluent play stems from that. If those things are integrated in the game, I would love to hear about it (I've ordered the game anyway, but it would be still be nice :) )

Edited by Peter 04

41 minutes ago, bobbyb12345 said:

i hope it's not an empty claim this time.

year after year after year after year i buy FM only to find my wide players go near the byline and cross the ball repeatedly to the defender's legs causing a corner.

it doesn't matter what the attributes of the players are or how many teammates are around him -- the game will 99.99% of the time elect to try to cross the ball instead of another option.

that's literally all i want from FM. don't care about anything else except for that one particular thing from the ME.

I'm excited by the Match Experience improvements. Especially the new animation engine.

"For example, a player moving to receive a pass in previous years would make very few movements before controlling the pass and would often ‘slide’ before they reached the ball."

"Something that we see a lot of in real football is players is players pivoting on the ball and passing it backwards to a team-mate if the space for them to move into is closed down."

The latter is especially huge, as players would often make dumb mistakes or decisions that could've been prevented by this.

I know these are just 2 examples, but I do hope other issues have been solved by this new animation engine.

new level of intelligence, unlocking smarter decision making and realism
(image.png.e2ffcfa8ebd745ec25bf96cfa16a477e.png
(screenshot from wcb feature video)
plus running like riding a bike (leaning) 
it's awful. if you see it once you can't unsee

Edited by Nicenoise

1 hour ago, Siven said:

Gotta admit, nothing ive seen so far has me excited.

Also seen on twitter from Miles thats the UI for team talks is still the same which is dissapointing as the UI splits the team up. Was much easier to read in previous years.

Yeah, I'm not a huge can of that dressing room layout either, looks like it's here to stay now though. But they could have at least pulled the players faces through so it feels like I'm talking to an actual player.

1 hour ago, Nicenoise said:

new level of intelligence, unlocking smarter decision making and realism
(image.png.e2ffcfa8ebd745ec25bf96cfa16a477e.png
(screenshot from wcb feature video)
plus running like riding a bike (leaning) 
it's awful. if you see it once you can't unsee

I'm not sure what you're trying to show here. You clearly see that the player at the right is running towards the box and I'm not sure there's anything wrong with that. Instead of taking a still screenshot and trying to misinterpret it you should have recorded a gif and shown the full movement from how it started to how it ended

Edited by DarJ

20 минут назад, DarJ сказал:

@Nicenoise  Can you point out what's wrong with the movement?

with great pleasure
at first, you cut the moment on 2nd sec where yellow cm runs to atack
378720499_2021-10-1217_38_58.thumb.png.e5257999fc4b0f40b34568b3e0244bf3.png

few moments later
267495844_2021-10-1217_41_22.thumb.png.f629a47b5d47498fb1ee6fb4d7b895a2.png

then on 5th second u can see number 12 who is cb, I think
if you watch video on 0.25 - he is doing madness, no need even to screen
then you watch the movement of 2, he is closing nobody, all the way from the beginning to the end of episode. 
In the end you could ask me - was there something right with the defensive movement. you know the answer.

btw, have to admit that attacking movement was pretty good.

5 hours ago, Freakiie said:

Considering I've seen human players struggle to get Haaland interested in a new contract, what if Haaland himself doesn't want to renew? (And he really shouldn't considering the interest in him) I'd openly welcome more Haaland's that refuse to renew their contracts at any point, as keeping your big names at clubs that are not good enough for them as been far too easy in FM.

What's so immersion breaking about big name free agents? Look at real life, it's starting to look very likely that Mbappé and Pogba are gonna leave on a free. Dortmund also did the same with Lewa in the past, keeping him for the last year rather than selling him for a low price.

It’s mainly that in this save, Haaland had no beef with Dortmund, they had plenty of money to sign him on high wages if he wanted, and mainly that it’s far too easy to be a bigger club, find them first, and convince them to sign. So then you can build a world class team cheap and quick and easy.

1 час назад, DarJ сказал:

I'm not sure what you're trying to show here. You clearly see that the player at the right is running towards the box and I'm not sure there's anything wrong with that. Instead of taking a still screenshot and trying to misinterpret it you should have recorded a gif and shown the full movement from how it started to how it ended

Tell me what is wrong with 12?

vor 18 Minuten schrieb Nicenoise:

with great pleasure
at first, you cut the moment on 2nd sec where yellow cm runs to atack
378720499_2021-10-1217_38_58.thumb.png.e5257999fc4b0f40b34568b3e0244bf3.png

few moments later
267495844_2021-10-1217_41_22.thumb.png.f629a47b5d47498fb1ee6fb4d7b895a2.png

then on 5th second u can see number 12 who is cb, I think
if you watch video on 0.25 - he is doing madness, no need even to screen
then you watch the movement of 2, he is closing nobody, all the way from the beginning to the end of episode. 
In the end you could ask me - was there something right with the defensive movement. you know the answer.

btw, have to admit that attacking movement was pretty good.

I must admit, I don't really get your point. Even counting out that this is ONE scene we are arguing on (which is not a great amount of data), it is not the finished game and we have no clue what the players' instructions are, I still don't find it too far away from real life. The whole point of overloading a flank (which is done here by an attacking WCB) is precisely to force defensive players making difficult decisions - e.g. tracking a player or staying in defensive shape. You see that all the time. And in this particular scene the player corrects his mistake fairly quickly and retreats to his position... I do see that the central defender makes a side step and by doing that loses ground on the attacker, but this happens too (might not look great, but we know that this is not the main focus of the ME). Maybe I just did not understand what you have seen that makes you so pessimistic about the finished ME...

Edited by Peter 04

2 минуты назад, Peter 04 сказал:

I must admit, I don't really get your point. Even counting out that this is ONE scene we are arguing on (which is not a great amount of data), it is not the finished game and we have no clue what the players' instructions are, I still don't find it too far away from real life. The whole point of overloading a flank (which is done here by an attacking WCB) is precisely to force defensive players making difficult decisions - e.g. tracking a player or staying in defensive shape. You see that all the time. And in this particular scene the player corrects his mistake fairly quickly and retreats to his position... Maybe I just did not understand what you have seen that makes you so pessimistic about the finished ME...

I'm analyzing what i have. I have a video of good attack and awful defense. I was told "brand-new pressing system brings a new level of intelligence, unlocking smarter decision making and realism" as one of the main features of the new game. I tried to find it out but struggled. Even if we disagree about the movement of rb - you can go and watch video i uploaded some minutes ago where cb num12 is clearly on new level of intelligence and realism.

2 hours ago, Siven said:

Oh god, so it is. I'd been hoping so much that that was one of the "UI things we'd have done differently in an ideal world" because it makes information so much harder to consume quickly than the old list of players + reaction. (And the "new team talk string" is just a new variant on exactly the same options there's been for years, so it seems unlikely there'll be anything wildly different from before in those.)

Staff meetings seem to be pretty much just the old reports you'd get in a news item with dropdown suggested action, just with their own screen and more clicking through. The only real changes on the face of it seem to be the ability to get a second opinion from a pulldown and showing projected star ratings inline.

vor 14 Minuten schrieb Peter 04:

I must admit, I don't really get your point. Even counting out that this is ONE scene we are arguing on (which is not a great amount of data), it is not the finished game and we have no clue what the players' instructions are, I still don't find it too far away from real life. The whole point of overloading a flank (which is done here by an attacking WCB) is precisely to force defensive players making difficult decisions - e.g. tracking a player or staying in defensive shape. You see that all the time. And in this particular scene the player corrects his mistake fairly quickly and retreats to his position... I do see that the central defender makes a side step and by doing that loses ground on the attacker, but this happens too (might not look great, but we know that this is not the main focus of the ME). Maybe I just did not understand what you have seen that makes you so pessimistic about the finished ME...

I commented on that:  "I do see that the central defender makes a side step and by doing that loses ground on the attacker, but this happens too (might not look great, but we know that this is not the main focus of the ME)." I have been playing football managers since the mid 90's, switched to Football Manager 13 years ago and I really do think that in FM21 we had the best ME so far. Was it perfect? By no means, but we all know that this is not to be expected. I have a degree of trust that this year's ME will be an improvement on an already good ME. It will not mean that there won't be issues, but we cannot expect that of a game of such complexity. Just look at hyper complex games like Civilization where there are loads of exploits and imbalances. The more complex a model is the harder it will be to get it better without starting from scratch.. I just think that the expectation to be entitled to a perfect game is not realistic. (This is a general observation and is not necessarily directed at you personally).