"We couldn't sign you in to Xbox Live"

I'm having an infuriating issue trying to load FM21 on my laptop. I'm launching the game from the Xbox app, which I have to sign in to access, but I can't get any further than the loading screen. I *can* launch the game on my Xbox One, but the cycle on my laptop goes on and on. 

Is anybody else having a similar issue? I last loaded the game on Thursday, and there were no issues at all!

Cheers.

12 hours ago, santy001 said:

Are you able to sign in via your browser on their website? If so then it does suggest maybe its an app issue over a connectivity issue.

Yep, I can sign in anywhere online, on browsers, the app and the Xbox. The game will launch, but it stops before I get to the homescreen as that's when it would normally log in with my gamer tag.

image.thumb.png.2c3ebc5a4385d09b12bf57437813d60c.png

I just don't get it. I'm *clearly* signed in to the Xbox app on my laptop when I launch the game, so it makes no sense at all why there'd be a problem at the homescreen of the game itself. 

I've followed every piece of advice I could find online, which is mostly about updating everything and anything, but no change. I'm getting no kind of response from Xbox themselves, so I'm totally stuck with a game I can't play. 

1 minute ago, santy001 said:

Tried a reinstall of the game? If the game is crashing, is it also producing and crash dump files as they could be worth uploading.

That was my first port of call, and no joy unfortunately. The crash dump folder is empty too. Never had any issues previously, and I can't even get to the homescreen for it to crash dump here. 

When you start the game is it initialising in task manager and then just hitting a memory cap and staying flat? Rarely had that happen with some games and its just been a case of ending the task and trying again.

2 minutes ago, santy001 said:

When you start the game is it initialising in task manager and then just hitting a memory cap and staying flat? Rarely had that happen with some games and its just been a case of ending the task and trying again.

I'm getting all the way to the top screen of the game (where you see the players on the pitch celebrating a goal) with this error screen over the top of it. I've tried everything I can find online to work through the error, but I'm utterly stuck. 

image.png.2f686a78341be946663d8bd34711adc8.png

Support: Games - Sports Interactive Community (sigames.com)

From what I've seen on Reddit someone claimed they troubleshot this with microsoft for an hour with them concluding it was a game issue.

One person claimed that synching up time & date solved it for them. 

One has listed using windows + r to launch the run window and then typing in wsreset.exe.

Another person has said that they went to Settings > Accounts and disconnected their microsoft account in all applications. 

The more extreme solution touted was a complete OS reinstall.

9 minutes ago, santy001 said:

Support: Games - Sports Interactive Community (sigames.com)

From what I've seen on Reddit someone claimed they troubleshot this with microsoft for an hour with them concluding it was a game issue.

One person claimed that synching up time & date solved it for them. 

One has listed using windows + r to launch the run window and then typing in wsreset.exe.

Another person has said that they went to Settings > Accounts and disconnected their microsoft account in all applications. 

The more extreme solution touted was a complete OS reinstall.

There are two separate email addresses attached (it gives me the choice of two to try and sign in to before the error screen, although only one is connected to my gamertag.) It looks like I can't delete an Xbox account, I have to delete a microsoft account and that's not happening. so I'm pretty stuck. 

I would suggest the support link at the top then. As far as I'm aware though you can disconnect/remove a microsoft account and re-add it afterwards. I disconnected mine a long time ago as I didn't like the fact everything on my PC was tied to an outlook account given how prevalent data leaks and the like are. 

9 minutes ago, santy001 said:

I would suggest the support link at the top then. As far as I'm aware though you can disconnect/remove a microsoft account and re-add it afterwards. I disconnected mine a long time ago as I didn't like the fact everything on my PC was tied to an outlook account given how prevalent data leaks and the like are. 

Cheers. 

I've come across this page (Error 0x80004005 can't sign into xbox live - Microsoft Community) so it's clearly a common problem, but solutions are very thin on the ground. 

I have one Microsoft account for my computer and another for the Xbox, so deleting either at any stage isn't really an option. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hoping the OP has found a solution by now but just in case (and for the benefit of others stumbling upon this thread):

Had exactly the same issue and fixed by doing the following:

Uninstall Xbox App & Microsoft Store.

1.Open the Windows 10 Search Bar, and type in PowerShell.
2.Right-click the PowerShell app and click “Run as administrator”.
3.Type the following command and press the Enter key:

Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.XboxApp | Remove-AppxPackage

Get-AppxPackage *windowsstore* | Remove-AppxPackage

I'd previously re-installed the Xbox app so suspect it may have been the Windows store that was the actual problem.