Ideas for new challenges

I thought there was once a thread where people could put forward ideas for new challenges.

If there was, it's probably been archived now, and perhaps it had a misleading title, because I can't find it.

This could be a thread where people can get advice and have their raw ideas workshopped. Alternatively you could see if others will say that they want to join in.

Obviously there's nothing to stop people just starting a thread for their challenge, getting going, and seeing who joins in. This is just an alternative space.

I have a couple of ideas. I don't want to 'run' them, because I do one already.

If you post an idea in this thread, and someone starts a new challenge thread and changes the rules, that's up to them. Any idea here is 'public property'. 

Lastly, there probably are no new ideas. I mean, my first idea is not exactly new at all. There have been a lot of ideas for challenges that didn't really work, but were basically sound ideas.

Edited by vikeologist

Hall of Fame Challenge

I might give this a go myself. The idea is to start off unemployed and with no qualifications and get to the top of the in game Hall of Fame.

I'll need to be careful not to fall prey to a bug where if you import logopacks, databases, saves etc, you also import that person's HoF. It's also possible that if you start a new save after a long one, your old HoF starts with you. I've not experienced that, but it's something to be aware of.

A user on GD has warned that 

You need to delete the hall_of_fame.dat-file before you start a new game. Then the Hall of fame will be right with Ferguson, Mourinho et al.

The file is located in the shared documents folder, not in your users folder.

The danger is that there's some bug that will import a HoF in the middle of your save, but sometime it's hard to know what's a bug, and what's just the result of importing things.

Anyway, the idea is to climb to the top of the HoF, (where Sir Alec is at the start) as quickly as possible.

Obviously it would be helpful to have a list of how many points each competition earns, but I think that would be a spoiler. I don't think it's hard to figure out though that the top European leagues are where you need to be, and you also need to win the big international trophies as many times as possible.

The challenge may be quite / too easy, but there is always the possibility that an AI manager gets ahead of you and you have trouble catching up, so there's maybe an element of luck. 

National Service Challenge

It's possible there's already been a challenge with this name, but I couldn't find it on a quick search.

The basic idea is to take charge of a club and win the league and Champions League using only players from that league's nation. (For the purposes of the challenge therefore, England and Scotland are separate nations, as are PR China and Hong Kong). You also need to win the continental trophy and World Cup with that nation. 

You can make yourself the manager of any club at the start of the challenge, but you have to wait to be offered the national job.

If you are sacked by a club, you can take over any other club in that nation. Competitions carry over, so if you've won the league without foreigners with Liverpool and are sacked, you can win the Champions League with Chelsea, also without foreigners.

If you are sacked by the nation, you have to wait to be offered the job again, but you might never be, so honestly I would suggest that if you are sacked by the nation, the challenge is over. It would make sense to be careful when you take over the national team.

Obviously by taking over any club, the challenge can be wildly easier or more difficult, depending on whether you start with Man City or a newly promoted Hong Kong team, if there are any in Hong Kong.

You can continue to use any 'foreigners' you inherit, but any league or cup you win using foreigners doesn't count.  That doesn't necessarily mean that you'd want to sell the foreigners straight away. You want to make sure you win stuff and don't get sacked, but at some point you will need to have a completely domestic squad to register a challenge 'achievement', or choose not to use any of your foreigners in the competitions that count.

Second nationalities count, but you can't sign someone without the appropriate nationality, even on loan, and wait for them to gain that nationality. The exception to this is that you are allowed to 'sign' anyone when they come through your youth intake, even if they are a foreigner at that point. You still can't use them to win a competition until they have achieved the domestic nationality, and you'd need to be aware of your nation's rules on achieving nationality, and the possibility they might never want to take up that second nationality.

You can sign and use foreign staff.

Having typed out the rules, I'm now tempted to try this one instead. 

I'm not immediately planning to do this challenge, so you could make it more difficult by saying that you have to start off with a newly promoted team, or excluding the big 5 Euro nations, Argentina and Brazil.

9 hours ago, vikeologist said:

Hall of Fame Challenge

I think the "danger" of this one is that people would do a classic one team save where you build a monster team and win a high rep league + CL + everything else every year. Nothing wrong with that, but it hardly differentiates from what many people consider "normal" saves.

8 hours ago, vikeologist said:

I've thought about this one a lot over the years and I might just try it. I was thinking of doing one with my home country Croatia, but domestic league in such nations very fast turns into "click continue" fest plus the sense of dread before every important CL match. Having said that, it does sound really interesting, even in bigger leagues, because if you look at people's saves, their winning teams are full of wonderkids from all over the world, so limiting yourself to the home nation does provide an interesting challenge, even if the nation is England or Spain.

With the hall of fame, you's start off with no quals / exp, so it would be a journeyman save at least early on.I mean, you could stay with one club, but that would slow things down. The challenge is to do it as fast as possible, not just to do it eventually. Anyone can do it eventually. Once youget toatop club, the pressure is winning everything every time, because otherwise it will slow you down, especially if you lose to a manager also near the top of the HoF.

As for the National Service, which I have started and will be giving a run out to, if you do it with a smaller nation, it could become boring dominating the domestic league, but taking 10 or more years to even get to the group stages of the Champions League.

I'm starting in a middle level nation with a club near but not at the top of the tree, but its drawback as a challenge is the difference in difficulty. If you start off with Man City, it should be doable in about 6 years once you get offered the England job. With a newly promoted Croatian side, slightly longer.

The Mike Bassett Challenge

You have to start unemployed and work your way up the England job and get them to at least the Semi's of the World Cup but the rule is you can only use a standard 4-4-2 formation and you can never change it.

If you get sacked you take over another team.

Only English teams as well. Preferably you have to manage Norwich before you become England manager. 

Also when you become England manager you get bonus points if you call up 2 players in your World Cup squad that has a name of a cigerete company as their surname like Benson & Hedges or Lambert & Butler for example.

Edited by Ronaldo Beckham

22 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

The Mike Bassett Challenge

You have to start unemployed and work your way up the England job and get them to at least the Semi's of the World Cup but the rule is you can only use a standard 4-4-2 formation and you can never change it.

If you get sacked you take over another team.

Only English teams as well. Preferably you have to manage Norwich before you become England manager. 

Also when you become England manager you get bonus points if you call up 2 players in your World Cup squad that has a name of a cigerete company as their surname like Benson & Hedges or Lambert & Butler for example.

Not relevant, but I started the thread, so I don't care.

I used to work at a private university owned by a tobacco company. 

I used to tell people that I was contractually obliged to hand out cigarettes to students for good work and was set targets for new smokers each semester.

2 hours ago, vikeologist said:

Not relevant, but I started the thread, so I don't care.

I used to work at a private university owned by a tobacco company. 

I used to tell people that I was contractually obliged to hand out cigarettes to students for good work and was set targets for new smokers each semester.

Yeah I don't condone smoking. I just found that part of the film funny where Mike Bassett accidentally calls up 2 players one called Benson and the other called Hedges cos he wrote the squad on a packet of Benson & Hedges.

One idea I have had is a similar challenge to @vikeologistUltimate Challenge which I've enjoyed playing this year but set only in Europe.  Mainly as I love playing in a bunch of European leagues (Sweden, Norway, Netherlands etc) which I don't need to do in the Ultimate challenge - really once you've done the 5 major Europe + South Africa + Mexico/USA + Argentina/Brazil + South Korea/China/Australia that only leaves another league left.

Very similar (10 leagues and cups, 10 leagues must include the "big 5") but also winning all 3 continental competitions, the Club World Cup, and on the international side the Euros and World Cup.  A mini version if you will.

4 minutes ago, Crispypaul said:

One idea I have had is a similar challenge to @vikeologistUltimate Challenge which I've enjoyed playing this year but set only in Europe.  Mainly as I love playing in a bunch of European leagues (Sweden, Norway, Netherlands etc) which I don't need to do in the Ultimate challenge - really once you've done the 5 major Europe + South Africa + Mexico/USA + Argentina/Brazil + South Korea/China/Australia that only leaves another league left.

Very similar (10 leagues and cups, 10 leagues must include the "big 5") but also winning all 3 continental competitions, the Club World Cup, and on the international side the Euros and World Cup.  A mini version if you will.

I like this, definitely would get you playing in a nice variety of leagues in Europe. If you wanted to make it a bit more challenging you could stipulate that the continental competitions + club world cup have to be won with a team in a country outside of the "big 5".

2 minutes ago, corinthiano said:

I like this, definitely would get you playing in a nice variety of leagues in Europe. If you wanted to make it a bit more challenging you could stipulate that the continental competitions + club world cup have to be won with a team in a country outside of the "big 5".

The Uefaltimate Challenge?

I have had an idea for a while after doing the Ernst Happel challenge. Wanted to post it but never found the time. However would love to at least discuss it with a view to FM22.

The idea is - 15 years of Jose Mourinho. Why 15? Because from when he started in 2001 till the second Chelsea spell in 2016, Jose Mourinho was almost untouchable in club management. I genuinely think his achievements would be difficult to match on FM even though it's easier than real life. Of course since he took over at Man Utd (sadly) he lost his way a bit.

Obviously this would be a journeyman challenge with the following stages.

Stage 1 - União de Leiria for JM

Take over a small bottom ranking club in the top division of a 3.5 star league. Here the only aim is to do well and to get poached by a big club in the same league. Not spend more than 1 season ideally.

Stage 2 - Porto for JM

This would be the hardest to replicate. Now we are at a top club but still a 3.5 star league, so think maybe a Porto, Benfica, Ajax, etc. 2 league titles, 1 cup, 1 Europa and 1 CL is what he won in 2 seasons. It will definitely take longer than 2 seasons for any of us to do this. But hopefully the extra time taken can be clawed back later in the challenge. I'd need to keep an option for the manager to move on even if he does not win the CL and win it elsewhere.

Stage 3 - Chelsea for JM

Move to a challenger club in a top league (Chelsea at the time had not won the league in ages). In 3 seasons there have to win 2 league titles and at least 2 cups (JM won 3 but England have 2 cup competitions).

Stage 4 - Inter for JM

Move to another challenger club in a different league. Here he won 2 Serie A titles in 2 seasons plus one cup and the CL again. So once more the pressure is on to achieve success from the start.

Stage 5 - Real Madrid for JM

Move to a historic club like Madrid. This is where one may save some time as he only won 1 league and 1 cup in 3 seasons.

Stage 6 - Chelsea for JM

Move back to the same league from stage 3/4, ideally the same club. Here he won 1 league and 1 cup in 2.5 seasons. Again should definitely be doable.

Total honours in 15 seasons - 8 league titles, 2 champions leagues, 1 europa league, 7 domestic cups. 

There is a lot of potential for bonus points as well-

• bonus for every season where a 70%+ win rate is maintained
  • bonus for breaking defensive record he had at Chelsea - 15 league goals conceded in a season
  • bonus points for clean sheets in cup finals and for cup finals record. JM has won 11/13 cup finals keeping clean sheets in 7 of them
  • bonus points for beating his unbeaten home run of 77 league games

Open to more ideas as well. One thing to think about is how to carry on with the challenge if the player does not win the CL at stage 2 because after that it's all 4 star leagues. Maybe we can keep a provision for the player to go back to a 3.5 star league top club later on in the challenge to complete the CL win, if there is still time. For example if stages 5 & 6 are completed in say 3 seasons instead of 6.

Edited by karanhsingh

The Erik Ten Hag challenge

Leave for a rival club  is the easy way to explain it.

Step one: Go start at a bottom ranking top tier team in a league like Portugal, Netherlands, Belgium, Russia etc. Make them a mid table force

Step two: Go to a better team in that league, most preferably a rival club. Get to the cup final. 

Step three: Go to a top of the league club in mid-season

Step four: Get to the semi-final of the UCL in 2 seasons

Step five:  Make them the Bayern Munich of  [insert country]

11 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

I have had an idea for a while after doing the Ernst Happel challenge. Wanted to post it but never found the time. However would love to at least discuss it with a view to FM22.

The idea is - 15 years of Jose Mourinho. Why 15? Because from when he started in 2001 till the second Chelsea spell in 2016, Jose Mourinho was almost untouchable in club management. I genuinely think his achievements would be difficult to match on FM even though it's easier than real life. Of course since he took over at Man Utd (sadly) he lost his way a bit.

Obviously this would be a journeyman challenge with the following stages.

Stage 1 - União de Leiria for JM

Take over a small bottom ranking club in the top division of a 3.5 star league. Here the only aim is to do well and to get poached by a big club in the same league. Not spend more than 1 season ideally.

Stage 2 - Porto for JM

This would be the hardest to replicate. Now we are at a top club but still a 3.5 star league, so think maybe a Porto, Benfica, Ajax, etc. 2 league titles, 1 cup, 1 Europa and 1 CL is what he won in 2 seasons. It will definitely take longer than 2 seasons for any of us to do this. But hopefully the extra time taken can be clawed back later in the challenge. I'd need to keep an option for the manager to move on even if he does not win the CL and win it elsewhere.

Stage 3 - Chelsea for JM

Move to a challenger club in a top league (Chelsea at the time had not won the league in ages). In 3 seasons there have to win 2 league titles and at least 2 cups (JM won 3 but England have 2 cup competitions).

Stage 4 - Inter for JM

Move to another challenger club in a different league. Here he won 2 Serie A titles in 2 seasons plus one cup and the CL again. So once more the pressure is on to achieve success from the start.

Stage 5 - Real Madrid for JM

Move to a historic club like Madrid. This is where one may save some time as he only won 1 league and 1 cup in 3 seasons.

Stage 6 - Chelsea for JM

Move back to the same league from stage 3/4, ideally the same club. Here he won 1 league and 1 cup in 2.5 seasons. Again should definitely be doable.

Total honours in 15 seasons - 8 league titles, 2 champions leagues, 1 europa league, 7 domestic cups. 

There is a lot of potential for bonus points as well-

• bonus for every season where a 70%+ win rate is maintained
  • bonus for breaking defensive record he had at Chelsea - 15 league goals conceded in a season
  • bonus points for clean sheets in cup finals and for cup finals record. JM has won 11/13 cup finals keeping clean sheets in 7 of them
  • bonus points for beating his unbeaten home run of 77 league games

Open to more ideas as well. One thing to think about is how to carry on with the challenge if the player does not win the CL at stage 2 because after that it's all 4 star leagues. Maybe we can keep a provision for the player to go back to a 3.5 star league top club later on in the challenge to complete the CL win, if there is still time. For example if stages 5 & 6 are completed in say 3 seasons instead of 6.

I might give this a go on FM2021 after I get bored of my Portsmouth save as I can do a season quite quickly so I might be able to finish it or at least try to do it before FM2022.

On 08/10/2021 at 04:05, Ronaldo Beckham said:

I might give this a go on FM2021 after I get bored of my Portsmouth save as I can do a season quite quickly so I might be able to finish it or at least try to do it before FM2022.

That's very ambitious! but let me know if you do take it up.

I will definitely do it on FM22 and set up a thread for it.

There haven't been many successful challenge thread using this foundation of a manager's career.

There has been one though.

Worth looking at this to see why Jay was successful. 

I think this is generally true. It's definitely worth looking through the CSE forum to see which challenges have been successful / different.

Don't sleep on this one.

Also, if you do start a challenge, or are taking part in one, have you met my regularly flogged dead horse.

I'm not giving up. 

6 hours ago, vikeologist said:

There haven't been many successful challenge thread using this foundation of a manager's career.

I think this is generally true. It's definitely worth looking through the CSE forum to see which challenges have been successful / different.

Don't sleep on this one.

Also, if you do start a challenge, or are taking part in one, have you met my regularly flogged dead horse.

I'm not giving up. 

Thoughts on the Mourinho one? 

Also the Happel one was great. 

21 minutes ago, karanhsingh said:

Thoughts on the Mourinho one? 

Also the Happel one was great. 

Oh well, my thoughts on all the 'career' saves is that they're not really my bag. I never intended to give my opinion about every idea. My opinions are not that valuable. Sometimes I just like reading the thoughts and opinions of others without reacting.

Edited by vikeologist

I've always had an idea for a challenge, however it is one that would need the use of the editor. I present the Red Bull Pentagon challenge.

Obviously the aim is to win the champions league on the 5 in game continents. You will need to use the editor to change a club in Asia (Probably a club in China given their clubs current financial troubles, it seems like an interesting option) and also in South Africa. There would also be additional aims like win the top domestic cup and league with each Red Bull team. There could also be additional challenges like having points for players who are apart of champions league winning teams coming from any of the Red Bull acadamies, having players play their entire careers in the Red Bull family etc.

Haven't really thought about points or little intricate details but it's always been an idea of mine that I have never got round to trying. Maybe somebody has got some brilliant ideas and can have a plan set out ready for FM22.

The "God, Luck and Viktor Orbán" challenge

image.jpeg.13f259b77906cbbd329f47da159a6597.jpeg

Lőrinc Mészáros started from humble beginnings. He was born in the town of Székesfehérvár, in Hungary, in 1966, and his life was unremarkable. He started out as a gas-fitter in the early 1990s, and slowly moved up in the company hierarchy for 20 years. By 2010, the company he worked for, MOL, was in serious financial trouble. Laid off and teetering on the edge of bakruptcy, Lorinc would most likely live his whole life in the humble conditions he had experienced since his birth, until a childhood friend of his entered the scene.

Of course, that friend's name was Viktor Orbán, the corrupt "elected tyrant" that has been ruling Hungary for the past decade. After his FIDESZ party came to power in 2010, his mate Meszaros coincidentally saw his wealth double every year. After being the mayor of Felcsút, the village where Orban grew up, by 2018 he had a controlling stake in one of Hungary's biggest banks, owned a media empire and was the 2nd richest person in the country. What a fortunate turn of events!

This meteoric rise is best summarized by the man himself. When asked about it by Deutsche Welle in 2017, he said: "My fortune is thanks to three factors: God, luck and Viktor Orban."

During his tenure as Felcsút mayor, the local football club Puskás Akadémia, that started out as just a youth team, rapidly made their way up the Hungarian pyramid, achieving promotion to the 1st tier in 2012-13. Despite relegation back to the second tier, the club bounced back and even were runners-up in the 2020-21 edition of the first division. Meanwhile, the club had state of the art stadium built for them. Hungary's biggest clubs are also controlled by Orban's cronies. Since 2010, Fehérvár has won 3 titles and Ferencváros has won 4.

In recent years, clubs associated with the Hungarian minority in neighboring countries have also been on the up, such as Sepsi OSK (Romanian club who was granted money directly by the Hungarian government to build new facilities), TSC Backa Topola (Serbia), NK Osijek (Croatia, owned by Meszaros himself), and DAC Dunajska Streda (Slovakia).

And that's where FM comes in: starting out at Puskás Akadémia as an unqualified amateur that just so happens to be related to Orbán in some way, the challenge is to make your way up the footballing food chain, managing only clubs owned by his associates. The goal is to win at least a title with every one of the clubs described above, and the ultimate endgame is to win the Champions League with Fehérvár, the prime minister's favourite team.

I haven't thought about the points system yet, but it needs to be something that values not just titles, but also any kind of European progression, since these are really low-ranking leagues coefficient wise. Bonus points will also be added for reaching certain objectives within a specific time (like reaching the Champions League knockout stage before 2030), and for any achievements with the Hungarian national team, like qualifying for tournaments and reaching the top Nations League division.

And that's it! I know I'm probably just nerding out about some weird idea I had a couple weeks ago, but if anyone is interested, here it is.

Edited by Zabet Philosophe

2 hours ago, Zabet Philosophe said:

The "God, Luck and Viktor Orbán" challenge

image.jpeg.13f259b77906cbbd329f47da159a6597.jpeg

Lőrinc Mészáros started from humble beginnings. He was born in the town of Székesfehérvár, in Hungary, in 1966, and his life was unremarkable. He started out as a gas-fitter in the early 1990s, and slowly moved up in the company hierarchy for 20 years. By 2010, the company he worked for, MOL, was in serious financial trouble. Laid off and teetering on the edge of bakruptcy, Lorinc would most likely live his whole life in the humble conditions he had experienced since his birth, until a childhood friend of his entered the scene.

Of course, that friend's name was Viktor Orbán, the corrupt "elected tyrant" that has been ruling Hungary for the past decade. After his FIDESZ party came to power in 2010, his mate Meszaros coincidentally saw his wealth double every year. After being the mayor of Felcsút, the village where Orban grew up, by 2018 he had a controlling stake in one of Hungary's biggest banks, owned a media empire and was the 2nd richest person in the country. What a fortunate turn of events!

This meteoric rise is best summarized by the man himself. When asked about it by Deutsche Welle in 2017, he said: "My fortune is thanks to three factors: God, luck and Viktor Orban."

During his tenure as Felcsút mayor, the local football club Puskás Akadémia, that started out as just a youth team, rapidly made their way up the Hungarian pyramid, achieving promotion to the 1st tier in 2012-13. Despite relegation back to the second tier, the club bounced back and even were runners-up in the 2020-21 edition of the first division. Meanwhile, the club had state of the art stadium built for them. Hungary's biggest clubs are also controlled by Orban's cronies. Since 2010, Fehérvár has won 3 titles and Ferencváros has won 4.

In recent years, clubs associated with the Hungarian minority in neighboring countries have also been on the up, such as Sepsi OSK (Romanian club who was granted money directly by the Hungarian government to build new facilities), TSC Backa Topola (Serbia), NK Osijek (Croatia, owned by Meszaros himself), and DAC Dunajska Streda (Slovakia).

And that's where FM comes in: starting out at Puskás Akadémia as an unqualified amateur that just so happens to be related to Orbán in some way, the challenge is to make your way up the footballing food chain, managing only clubs owned by his associates. The goal is to win at least a title with every one of the clubs described above, and the ultimate endgame is to win the Champions League with Fehérvár, the prime minister's favourite team.

I haven't thought about the points system yet, but it needs to be something that values not just titles, but also any kind of European progression, since these are really low-ranking leagues coefficient wise. Bonus points will also be added for reaching certain objectives within a specific time (like reaching the Champions League knockout stage before 2030), and for any achievements with the Hungarian national team, like qualifying for tournaments and reaching the top Nations League division.

And that's it! I know I'm probably just nerding out about some weird idea I had a couple weeks ago, but if anyone is interested, here it is.

By the way in a somewhat related topic I had a really fun save with Ujpest in Hungary that also ended up with me managing the national side. We had some top class newgens come through too. The pick of the bunch a striker from the Academia. 

Otto Rehhagel Challenge

Otto Rehhagel 01-2.jpg

A nice easy challenge. Here are the steps.

1. Holiday for a year
  2. Retire that manager
  3. Take over a team that was relegated from the top division to the division down and then get promoted in your 1st season.
  4. In your 2nd season in charge you need to win the top league of that country.
  5. Resign from that club once you have won the title.
  6. Take over a nationial team that isn't one of the best national teams and that has never won any major international tournement and then go onto the win the Euros or World Cup with that nation similar to what Rahhagel did with Greece. 

On 12/10/2021 at 09:43, vikeologist said:

Don't sleep on this one.

I'm not giving up. 

Wow I totally forgot about that thread haha, I know what I'll be doing when FM22 is released :D

9 minutes ago, Watson156 said:

Have just gone back and read through the Tour de Challenges thread and forgot how great of an idea that was. Would love to see that challenge resurrected in FM22. 

It must have been enormously time intensive, but it would be fun if someone took the time to organise a 'prologue' for the next 2 weeks while lots of people are at a pre-release loose end, so that they can see whether they enjoy running it.

I'm sure Earl wouldn't mind, though it would be a good idea to drop him a line and most importantly recognise his contribution if anyone did do it and use his content.

Give mine a try.

Win the four main competitions listed here in one season along with the European Champions Cup - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2621247519 and my World Cup Winners Cup - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2606641056

It's not impossible, but it is hard. The World Cup Winners Cup and the Football World Championship are the easiest wins of the bunch. But you pretty much have to go 13-2 or better to win the World League. The European Elite League isn't as hard but you are still going to have to beat probably 5 big clubs or so.

Edited by FM21_Scout

On 05/10/2021 at 09:38, vikeologist said:

It's possible there's already been a challenge with this name, but I couldn't find it on a quick search.

The basic idea is to take charge of a club and win the league and Champions League using only players from that league's nation. (For the purposes of the challenge therefore, England and Scotland are separate nations, as are PR China and Hong Kong). You also need to win the continental trophy and World Cup with that nation. 

You can make yourself the manager of any club at the start of the challenge, but you have to wait to be offered the national job.

If you are sacked by a club, you can take over any other club in that nation. Competitions carry over, so if you've won the league without foreigners with Liverpool and are sacked, you can win the Champions League with Chelsea, also without foreigners.

If you are sacked by the nation, you have to wait to be offered the job again, but you might never be, so honestly I would suggest that if you are sacked by the nation, the challenge is over. It would make sense to be careful when you take over the national team.

Obviously by taking over any club, the challenge can be wildly easier or more difficult, depending on whether you start with Man City or a newly promoted Hong Kong team, if there are any in Hong Kong.

You can continue to use any 'foreigners' you inherit, but any league or cup you win using foreigners doesn't count.  That doesn't necessarily mean that you'd want to sell the foreigners straight away. You want to make sure you win stuff and don't get sacked, but at some point you will need to have a completely domestic squad to register a challenge 'achievement', or choose not to use any of your foreigners in the competitions that count.

Second nationalities count, but you can't sign someone without the appropriate nationality, even on loan, and wait for them to gain that nationality. The exception to this is that you are allowed to 'sign' anyone when they come through your youth intake, even if they are a foreigner at that point. You still can't use them to win a competition until they have achieved the domestic nationality, and you'd need to be aware of your nation's rules on achieving nationality, and the possibility they might never want to take up that second nationality.

You can sign and use foreign staff.

Having typed out the rules, I'm now tempted to try this one instead. 

I'm not immediately planning to do this challenge, so you could make it more difficult by saying that you have to start off with a newly promoted team, or excluding the big 5 Euro nations, Argentina and Brazil.

Just to let you know, I'm going to be doing this on FM22, so if any of you would like to 'run' a challenge, here's your chance.

Otherwise I'll start a thread, and if anyone ever wants to take over, they can, but I'll have established the rules to a large extent. (Which can of course be changed, but changing or clarifying the rules of a challenge can be quite contentious).

Also, even if I start the challenge thread, there won't be any leader boards, points or Hall of Fames. Already running one challenge and emigrating to start a new job next week, so I won't have time to 'run' two thoroughly.

I tried to start a new challenge earlier this year, but didn't really put any effort into it as my own save kinda died a death! It should be a fairly easy one, sim to Christmas Day and take over the team that's bottom and try to save them from relegation. Maybe I'll try to revive it this year and maybe even provide some save files with different teams to play with. Depends on how much free time I get I suppose.

30 minutes ago, Britrock said:

I tried to start a new challenge earlier this year, but didn't really put any effort into it as my own save kinda died a death! It should be a fairly easy one, sim to Christmas Day and take over the team that's bottom and try to save them from relegation. Maybe I'll try to revive it this year and maybe even provide some save files with different teams to play with. Depends on how much free time I get I suppose.

That was a good idea, and ideal for doing for the 2 and a bit weeks of the beta, or the 5 days until the beta comes out depending on one's current belief system. 

I popped out an idea last year quite late which isnt a great idea. I did try it out myself though and was fairly enjoyable!

The Home Grown Challenge

Idea

This is the homegrown challenge. You must select a team in the lowest playable league of the nation you have chosen (try and select a nation that has more than 1 playable league). The idea is that you cannot sign anyone over the age of 18 as they do not have the chance to become eligible as homegrown at club!

Rules

• Select a team in the lowest playable league of your nation of choice
  • You can only sign players who are 18 years old or below. They must be 18 when they join the club otherwise they will not be eligible to be homegrown and cannot be used!
  • If you sell a player before he becomes homegrown at club you cannot sign him back.
  • If you sell a player after he is homegrown then you can sign him back!
  • Try and make your way up the leagues and become the team that develops the most players in Europe or your continent off choice!
  • Once you have done this feel free to move onto another nation!

the FC Vaduz challenge

Goal: win the CL with Vaduz.

I have to check with the editor how it is handled this version. but i believe you can only qualify for the conference league with Vaduz. So the Only way to get into the CL and win is to first win the Conference league, the year after the europa league. then if you don''t win it you start over again in the conference league

The Polyglot challenge.

Learn and Maintain 10 Languages through your travels. the starting languages of your chosen nationality do not count.

Usual other stuff applies. start with no experience and badges and unenployed.

Foreign Legion Challenge.

Every game must have 11 different nationalities as starters (you can pick and choose between double nationalities) and none must be from the nation you are playing in.

No restrictions on starting club. goal is to win your nations League Title

I devised 'The Special One' Challenge, based on Jose Mourinho, working out the idea in the last 2 months, waiting for FM22 to drop before posting... only to see this thread after creating the challenge and read @karanhsingh's idea - which is almost similar to mine, only his idea has a different time frame (earlier start & earlier end)... So I thought I'd post it here as well - simply follow the link, easier than pasting all the info here again:

Edited by Siepe1990

Challenge: win the championship by playing with 5 different teams in the same league. This challenge can be completed in 5 years (or more, of course) and does not involve almost any restrictions. Any player can be used and transferred, regardless of citizenship, age or quality level. Even the manager's experience and badges are not restricted. Everyone can choose what level he wants. There is only one rule: after each title won, resignation follows ... and a job at another club in the same league. Of course, there is a scoring system : for each year in which the title was not won, one point is deducted. One point is added for each title won with a team that has won the title in the last 5 years (2017 - 2021), two points for each title won with a team that has won the league, but only before 2017 ... and three points for each title won with a team that has never won the league.
Example : playing in France.
2022, managing PSG : winner, resign. Last title won by PSG : 2020 (+1 point)
2023, managing Marseille : 3rd place
2024, managing Marseille : winner, resign. Last title won by Marseille : 2010 (+2 points)
2025, managing Lyon : winner, resign. . Last title won by Lyon : 2008 (+2 points)
2026, managing Monaco : 4rd place
2027, managing Monaco : winner, resign. Last title won by Monaco : 2017 (+1 point)
2028, managing Angers : 5th place
2029, managing Angers : 3rd place
2030, managing Angers : winner, resign. Last title won by Angers : never (+3 points)
End of challenge. Number of seasons played : 9. Number of points : 5 - 9 + 1 (PSG) + 2 (Marseille) + 2 (Lyon) + 1 (Monaco) + 3 (Angers) = 5 points.

6 hours ago, GDNimrod said:

Here you can  find some of the ideas i gather and create trought the years  Hope you enjoy

You can check the list of challenges here :

http:// https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I8gZEgaAenVwUGf7bxjWLAo3Sh1RVw5q/view?usp=sharing.

Your link seems to be for this thread.

3 hours ago, GreenTriangle said:

Challenge: win the championship by playing with 5 different teams in the same league. 

I really like this idea. The rules for points are a little too complicated for my tastes. Did you actually do this challenge? Was it fun?

17 minutes ago, GreenTriangle said:

Of course, those points can be given up, they are not important. Probably this challenge proposal can be highly improved so that it becomes more interesting.

It wasn't a criticism. Thanks for sharing the idea.

I'm busy trying out another challenge, but since at least at first the challenge has a short term aim (to win the league just once), if you did start a thread, maybe people would give it a try while they're waiting for the full version, and then maybe carry on.

New challenges are really tricky to get going. As a result of this thread, only 2 new challenge threads have been started, (1 of them a return of an old challenge) and both have only one person doing it. 

It's not so much a challenge but something I used to run in a forum I moderated way back when, was a forum multiplayer save we were Sheffield FC as they were the oldest club, So for example we'd have a thread suggestion for teams and put that to a poll for the members to vote on which team they'd like to be. Then let's say vikeologist picked number one he would do that 1st season posting his progress as he goes through the season at the end of that season he would upload that save file and then the next member took over from where he left off posting his progress as he went on too. I feel it's a good way to bring a community together with advice, it gets plenty of discussion etc. When I first done this challenge it went up to 145 pages on that forum completing around 30 or so seasons. We also gave the person a timeframe to complete a season but would be lenient providing they were still uploading updates and clearly still actively playing the save.

obviously there are other things like database sizes etc to discuss as it needs to be enjoyable for everyone, we'd have a poll for attribute masking on or off too. I prefer having it so you can't see the attributes and as it is in the challenges, experiments type thing I'd lean towards keeping it that way.

I was looking at running one last year but wasn't too sure how it'd go down on this forum.

1 hour ago, Crowy said:

It's not so much a challenge but something I used to run in a forum I moderated way back when, was a forum multiplayer save we were Sheffield FC as they were the oldest club, So for example we'd have a thread suggestion for teams and put that to a poll for the members to vote on which team they'd like to be. Then let's say vikeologist picked number one he would do that 1st season posting his progress as he goes through the season at the end of that season he would upload that save file and then the next member took over from where he left off posting his progress as he went on too. I feel it's a good way to bring a community together with advice, it gets plenty of discussion etc. When I first done this challenge it went up to 145 pages on that forum completing around 30 or so seasons. We also gave the person a timeframe to complete a season but would be lenient providing they were still uploading updates and clearly still actively playing the save.

obviously there are other things like database sizes etc to discuss as it needs to be enjoyable for everyone, we'd have a poll for attribute masking on or off too. I prefer having it so you can't see the attributes and as it is in the challenges, experiments type thing I'd lean towards keeping it that way.

I was looking at running one last year but wasn't too sure how it'd go down on this forum.

I hink this would be great. Just a matter of how many people would take part, but it would be like a sign up more than a challenge, with peopleinvested, and dismayed, at what happens to their team.

@vikeologist yeah sorry meant sign up, but exactly that not sure how many people would be interested in these forums as a lot of members tend to have their own challenges already running and may not have time for this. I may put a few feelers out at some point leading up to the main game release.

6 minutes ago, Crowy said:

@vikeologist yeah sorry meant sign up, but exactly that not sure how many people would be interested in these forums as a lot of members tend to have their own challenges already running and may not have time for this. I may put a few feelers out at some point leading up to the main game release.

Someone would have to coordinate things, and maybe book people to play seasons and give them a deadline to complete it. I think quite  a few people would like to take a one season holiday from their main challenge.

Not going to lie to you. It probably won't catch on, but that's true of all new ideas. Prepare for disappointment. Hope for success.

I'm not really one for challenges as a LLaMa but this has always struck me as a pretty niche thing to do so maybe someone will give it a go

The non-playable league challenge

Win any of the following leagues

France - 4th tier

Norway - 4th tier

Romania - 3rd tier

Sounds easy? 

The catch is the game itself only lets you manage in these leagues if you are relegated into them and somehow manage to keep your job.

Edited by Brother Ben

On 27/10/2021 at 19:17, GDNimrod said:

This looks great and has given me some good ideas, thank you. You will need a slight edit for Transfer Policies. Chertanovo do now allow you to buy players, but only those who have come from their acadamy.