Utilising The New "Wide Centreback" On Fm22

Hi Everyone

What kind of set up would you think would utilise the new "wide centreback" role created for FM22?

Its still a pretty rare role id say. Sheffield United made it popular (ish) but they are a poor side.

I think Azpilicueta did a little of this during the spell Conte was manager.

What roles would you set up to use a wide centreback?

We will have to wait because there might be another roles that work beside the Wide Centreback - another advanced wingback role, for example. And we will have to see if the Wide Centreback is not bugged, like the Halfback was some time ago. Better wait and see.

I am really excited about this role. Probably like no other FM role before. Mostly because I could finally attempt a more realistic recreation of Cruyff's 3-4-3 Diamond tactic. Eventhough my previous tries in FM21 went pretty well, having a dedicated Wide CB (whom you could set to Attack duty!) would make for an interesting tactical situation.

Edited by crusadertsar

Will probably be for total football systems and back 3 systems. Pretty decent addition, i wonder i there are more new roles or if this is the only one.

18 hours ago, robot_skeleton said:

Betis when Quiqe Setien was the manager they had overlapping centre-backs, Sidnei was the guy on the left not sure who was the one on the right. In England I only saw it from Jack O'Connell at Sheffield under Wilder.

Chris Basham too. Basham did it more than Jack. 

Let's face it. Most setups we'll see will be 2 wide centre backs on attack accompanied by months of moaning about how crap defending is in the FM22 match engine :lol:

Edited by That There Phil

2 hours ago, That There Phil said:

Let's face it. Most setups we'll see will be 2 wide centre backs on attack accompanied by months of moaning about how crap defending is in the FM22 match engine :lol:

I am now almost tempted to play with 2 * WCBa, 1 * La , 2 * CWBa, and 2 * VolA -- If 7 at the back won't hold, what even is that game!?!?!

(In all seriousness though, I might try out the two WCBa-route -- I often used two BPDSt as outer centrebacks in the past (especially back when centre-play upped their mentality to neutral) for their offensive movement and more aggressive defending. Together with a good cover and maybe a defensive DM that might create some good movement and active defending.)