Mentality Question

Does mentality supersede all other tactical instructions? What I mean is, if I play attacking mentality with slow tempo, will the tempo be decided by my instructions or by the attacking mentality, which is set to have a much faster tempo? The same example could be applied to width and so forth, so basically my question is how mentality interacts with the other tactical instructions. 

Edited by lcutini
Change of wording

Icutini - I think this is a good question. Tactics are something I simply ain't been able to get my head around in this year's game. No matter what tactics I choose I keep losing so that's why I deleted the game. I preferred FMM 19 because you did not have to choose a Tactical Template/Tactical Style which you can do in this year's game, although you can choose clean slate but no matter what Tactical Template/Tactical Style I chose I stuck with the the attacking and defending instructions and the tactical shape, I would change my tempo from slow to fast when I was struggling in a match and then go from defensive to attacking when trying to win the game etc. In my last saved game with Villarrubia in the lowest division in Spain my not so reliable assistant Guti lol recommended to use Catenaccio which was a slow tempo and with narrow width and defensive, even I was unsure what would happen if I changed my mentality before a game or during. I had five in defence and teams poorer than my team were having so many shots on goal compared to my measly 3 or 4. As I alluded to before I just can't get my head around the tactics, I deleted the game again and I won't be playing it again, I'll just wait for FMM 22 but in the meantime I'll stick with Soccer Manager 18 and 20 and Football Chairman Pro. I prefer simple tactics in football management games and not tactics which are complex. I'm all for a challenge but this year's game is impossible in my opinion. 

On 26/09/2021 at 01:38, lcutini said:

Does mentality supersede all other tactical instructions? What I mean is, if I play attacking mentality with slow tempo, will the tempo be decided by my instructions or by the attacking mentality, which is set to have a much faster tempo? The same example could be applied to width and so forth, so basically my question is how mentality interacts with the other tactical instructions.

Positioning:   The first thing you notice when moving from one mentality to the other is the line of engagement and defensive line. On higher mentalities, the entire team moves forward. On lower mentalities, the entire team positions itself lower. 

Intensity: On higher mentalities, the team will play with  more urgency and more players will make more forward runs.  On lower mentalities, the team will play with less intensity and there will be less forward runs. Assuming the tempo is normal. 

Width: On higher mentalities, there will be more distance between the players as they'll look to stretch the opposition horizontally. On lower mentalities, it is the opposite. Assuming the width is normal. 

So, you can use the above to understand how to make your team play. I created a defensive, long ball tactic on a lower mentality (Defensive). 

The defensive mentality comes with it's own instructions(assuming other instructions are set to normal):

Low line of Engagement(We were playing much closer to goal)

Narrow width

Patient attack. 

Then I tweaked things to make us more threatening without changing the mentality:

I used a poacher as one of the strikers because while the rest of the team were deep, the poacher remained high, pinning the opposition defence back and waiting for the ball over the top. 

I switched to fast tempo for faster transitions.

I switched to a narrower width to makes us more tighter, even though a defensive mentality comes with a narrow width.