Polishing a 5212

Hello everyone

I come with a little bit of a simple premise. I've been using a 5212 tactic with my AZ side. It was succesful and it worked well, and this season I added a couple tweaks that seem to have improved it further. However, I'd also like some extra input

imagen.thumb.png.14d5857a35979671dcdb006869ef8d41.png

This is what it looks like. There are very few individual instructions too.

Both IWBs have shoot less often, since I've noticed they wanted to shoot a bit too much when they got into the final third. The left IWB has Get further forward since both my main and backup wingbacks are better attacking, while the right sided ones are more balanced

The ball winning midfielder role also has shoot less often. I've noticed that it likes to go forward when attacking, and sometimes would just shoot from range when that isn't what it's good at. The SS has Roam from position because I want him to have the freedom to move around and try to be wherever he's needed

And finally both the DLF and T have Stay wider because I noticed they'd just try to occupy the same place through the middle when the team attacked, like they were just moving to the same place

I know that a very liked saying here is 'If it ain't broken don't fix it', but I'd love to get some insight and opinions from other perspectives

Something I've noticed is that the DLF tends to drop more often than the T, which is kind of opposite of that I want. I've considered switching the roles around, but nothing is definitive there

I just wanted to half show off Jacques Troost, who had a fantastic breakout season last season, and also maybe get some advice on what could be the perfect role for him. I've considered CF because, well, he's quite complete if you ask me. If I was to change him to CF, what could be a good role to partner him with? I was thinking maybe a F9? So they drop more and cause some more disruption to the opposition while he stays further up front, but still drops to help with the play
imagen.thumb.png.36ddc12941e847ab43d9c85608d6a762.png

Thank you very much in advance

Jacques Troost is almost like R9 so I'll definitely put him as a CF-A. As for whether you want to build your team around him or your tactic still works so you don't want to change it, that is up to you. The DLF is always going to drop deep to link up play with the midfield, for it like a TM that is more technical and isn't a ball magnet. I don't know why you would play a TQ next to it, they are quite similar in the way they play and so either no one tries to make run of another instantly box or the SS does it which just make the front line very patient and slow. For the BWM-S have you tried the BWM-D first or CM-D/S could stop him from shooting too much.  For the CF-A use an PF-A/S or a P-A. If you do use an CF-A use either an AM or AP either support or attack. The AM-A is like a more creative version of the SS. Since you stated that your team is doing well save your tactic first.

Quick thoughts: Looks really narrow. I’d just make the WB into attacking WBs.

The Treq probably pushes up cause the DLF drops, so he’s looking for space to go into. The DLFs job is always to link up play so he’ll definitely drop.

I suspect this tactic struggles on some days because you only have one attacking plan which is force through the middle. Great if it works, frustrating if it doesn’t. 

The inverted Wing backs on top of a back 3 is interesting to me. Your defensive solidity through the middle is salivating. Because of this you should have complete license to do anything you want with front 5.

For starters I would consider using BWM as either a BBM or Mez. You could even add tackle harder if interested I think both of those roles. To me, that would open up the attacking production of one of your midfielders. 

i love a DLPs as much as anyone but I would consider opening up that player a bit maybe? Roaming playmaker or Advanced playmaker could work here as he really doesn’t need any defensive/positioning responsibility.

i, too, would change your DLF to Complete Forward. 

Generally speaking I’m not fully sold on ability to get proper width. A Mez from MF would help a bit? You could also toy with two 10s (like Tuchel) that can maybe build with a bit more width?