Older players

Hi,I find it really difficult to offload good ageing players with the message about nobody wanting him if he's gunna retire at end of contract,if Milner or carvani for example became available in real life a lot of clubs would love to sign them.i also see their stats really suffer with age,I would have thought only their physical stats like fitness would be affected by age not shooting,tackling ect. 

18 minutes ago, Lloyd87 said:

Hi,I find it really difficult to offload good ageing players with the message about nobody wanting him if he's gunna retire at end of contract,if Milner or carvani for example became available in real life a lot of clubs would love to sign them.i also see their stats really suffer with age,I would have thought only their physical stats like fitness would be affected by age not shooting,tackling ect. 

It has often been suggested that the game code does penalise the physical attributes of players in their 30s too harshly but often the issue of offloading players from the top leagues who are coming to the end of their careers, is their wage demands.  This can often drive away teams from the next tier down as they may not be able to afford them even if they are reduced by the player.

I do often find several good players getting released at 30/31 years old, which seems a bit extreme.

For example, in the game I'm playing now Virgil Van Dijk's Liverpool contract expired in 2023 and he got released at the age of 31 and signed by West Ham. That would never happen in real life.

Players certainly seem to hold less worth (as opposed to value) once they hit 30 than they would in the real game. The amount of good players that get released every summer is ridiculous.

Agree with this too. And while there will be a drop off in their attributes, some of them don't make a lot of sense - I've seen top players lost a lot of their Decisions value, which I'm not sure make sense for example...

Edit: I will add that it seems better than in previous years and older players can still perform pretty good with not so great attributes, but I would like to see player aging improved.

Edited by StephenCronin

I am not sure that I totally agree about player aging. There are plenty of real life examples of players that fall off a cliff as they age. The only change that I would make is to maybe randomize the way players age to a greater extent. For every Lewandowski who is doing the business in his 30's there is a Ronaldinho whose effectiveness had plummeted before he even reached 30. This could relate to players' mentality, proneness to injuries and whatever other factors make sense. As an addendum, players like Messi, Ronaldo or Kane are still deadly attackers at their various ages, but their usefulness defensively is much more limited compared to when they were younger. Kane's ability to press peaked around 23 or 24 in the Pochettino teams. These days his main usefulness defensively is holding up the ball as an outlet or defensive headers at corners, and he is only 28. 

Long story short, some players should have more longevity in the game while others should have less, maybe aging effects should have a wider distribution of outcomes in the game compared to what we see now.

• SI Staff

I've further tuned this for this the 2022 release, to give people an idea of how things work though ...

Each player has a unique 'peak' age after which they will potentially begin declining - the peak age is determined by position (goalies last longer than strikers for instance), professionalism (more professional players will play longer), natural fitness (naturally fit players will play longer) ... 

Once this age is passed they will generally decline slightly over time HOWEVER this decline is a LOT slower if they remain active, if someone isn't playing for instance then their physical attributes will generally drop down, however if they are playing regularly then they'll drop far slower and probably only down to 14-15 rather than lower unless they're REALLY old.

What often happens is that people drop a player and leave him to rot on the bench, then over the course of a season or two he'll end up losing his edge ... that same player if he'd kept playing may well have played on for a season or two extra at a competitive level.