Defensively solid tactic

Hi all, 

Nearly all my games end up with lots of shots fired, either for both sides or for my opposition only... It seems the only way for me to win is to outscore the opposition, the "if you score three, then we score four" approach. So sometimes we win these high scoring matches, and other times we get thumped with 25+ shots against us. 

I don't want to play this way, but apparently I have no clue how to make anything even remotely defensively solid. 

Was wondering if someone please could post a tactic that should shut the opposition down? It can be anything, any formation and team instructions. I just need to know what should be a good setup for an awfully boring 0-0 game with very little happening overall. Then I could start tweaking this and take some more risks to create attacks myself, knowing and accepting this will also lead to the opposition getting some attacks in. It's about balancing risk and reward. 

Does this make any sense? 

Hi,

Aways best to post your tactic here so we can provide specific advice.

In regard to your concern over defensive football: have you attempted using the 'Catenaccio' or 'Direct Counter Attack' presets on the tactical creator. These offer preset tactics that showcase a defense first mentality.

Always consider how good your defenders are. It sounds like yours aren't that good. Maybe your left back is bad defensively and needs midfield support or a backtracking winger to ease the defensive workload.

DLF(s)

IW(A).           BBM(s).         Mez(A).       DW(s)

DM(d)

Wb(d).           Cd(d).           Cd(d).           FB(s)

TI: lower line of engagement; narrow attacking width; counter; regroup.

This may not be right for your player profiles. The basic structure, and dispersion of roles and duties, facilitates a good defensive process.

I have my own low block 'preset' which I use for tough games and when I want to see out a win.

Tried it on a couple of touch saves with mid table sides and my record against the big six was like 2W 3D 1L or something like that. 

Basically you want a flat formation with at least 2 banks of 4 (442,532,541 etc)

And then lower dline, lower loe, lower pressing, tighter marking, regroup. Then leave pretty much everything else blank.

Only leave 1 or 0 forwards on attack duty. And the attacking forward ideally should be good at holding up the ball.

Edited by Jack722

Low ratings in Determination, Work Rate, Concentration and Stamina will definitely effect your ability to see out games.

In terms of tactics... there are a number of considerations. First of all you need to consider whether your team has the ability to withstand heavy pressure before doing something like getting everyone behind the ball and letting the other team attack you in wave after wave. Does your team have the stamina and concentration to stay switched on late in the game under immense pressure? Do they have the determination, workrate and stamina to work at full capacity late in the game. Do they have the requisite marking, tackling, anticipation and heading to deal with what is basically a defence vs attack situation.

If the answer to any of that is no then its definitely not recommended to employ any kind of park the bus system.

The reverse applies too. If you're not a very competent possession team then its probably not a good idea to try and kill the game by passing it around at the back because a team that is half-way competent at a high block will rip you to shreds.

So, if your team aren't a quality defensive unit or a quality possession unit then you're better off sticking to some version of your main tactic but just making a few little tweaks depending on what your team can do and what the opposition are trying to do.

I think the single biggest mistake people can make when thinking about seeing a game out is that they suddenly think all of the usual rules of football go out of the window. They don't. The last ten minutes of a game follow exactly the same rules as the first 80 minutes. All that changes is that the opposition may take more/or less risks in defence or attack. That's it. But the same principles apply. They still have to win the ball somewhere on the pitch, they still have to build up play through a certain area and they still have to attack certain areas.

Your job is to adjust the risk you take in defence or attack and to try to manipulate where the opposition can win the ball, where and how they can build up and where and how they can attack your goal.

If you try to keep the ball in defence then that is the most likely place the opposition will win the ball. If you camp in their half then the opposition are probably going to knock long balls in behind you (because you're forcing them to). If you go for an ultra-low block containment style then the opposition will have the freedom to take pot shots at your goal. If you surrender the flanks to defend very narrow then expect the opposition to pepper you with crosses. If you sacrifice an attacker for a defender then your ability to defend the opposition's build up is reduced. They will progress the ball. If the opposition are attacking the flanks and having success consider whether your wingers are up to the job of backing up the fullback (Do they lack workrate, teamwork, bravery, aggression. etc) These are just some examples of things to think about.

I haven't seen your tactic so I don't know what you're trying to do in the first 80 minutes or what you're switching to late on but you need to think about how your team defends best and also what the particular opposition are doing.