Crisis Meeting - Jedi FM Council Required

So long story short..

I'm about 3 games away from being sacked.

Yes this is me, sitting pretty in 11th place. This is my 4th season, and I have finished in the top 4 the previous 2 years ( I promise I'm not that bad)

918164951_LeicesterTable.png.0a0c2a9aae84d96b25179974a1e79e05.png    Yes, wolves are ahead of me.

1119656702_LeicestertacticHOME.png.eba691d3f03ae11c73f7254207fc2509.png  1391250438_LeicestertacticAWAY.png.189d871741a7dab30c2a0d63234e5016.png

These are the tactics I'm currently tearing my hair out to fix, especially considering it has served me well the previous 2 years. This year was supposed to be the title charge

A few thoughts;

• I have stripped it back to its bare minimum - and if I'm completely honest usually I wouldn't even have shorter passing on as I don't like to restrict my players in taking the odd risk here and there.
  • In my head (whether or not this translates I don't know) I try and have; runners, creators & scorers within the midfield and forward line. E.G. Gouiri (scorer), Silva (runner), Santos (creator) - in the midfield its more ball winner, goal creator and box attacker. E.G Ndidi (ball winner) Soumare (chance creator) Tielimans (box attacker).
  • As you can see from the table - I draw a lot of games, and most of the time its because I cannot punish the average/bad teams in the league. Although the PL does get very competitive the longer it goes.
  • The tactic on the right is when I go away to the big teams, and this has lead me to get royally slapped conceding 3,4,5 goals a pop.

The Key Players

A bad workman should never blame his tools, however there are certain times I wish I wasn't a football manager otherwise I think I would have punched one of these in the face during the season.

Gouiri.png.77582ffbd6f8ea8b747704b01c7da9dc.png  Beautiful isn't he? Wrong - he's averaging around a 6.6 for the season and couldn't finish his dinner let alone a 1v1.

Silva.png.46dd738ef533c2949c12dd863bf86668.pngThe star man arrival in the summer - Netted me 6 goals this season and one of them was a hatrick. I use the DLF(a) because I just love his mentals

Soumare.png.7e099ffee206404b511d1196cda28b27.pngBought him because I like the balance of physicals and creation, understand he isn't the most creative player - but wait.

Youri.png.8b48747314b056b785600cdb93d5fab8.png Because this beast is right next to him! Can't knock this guy, hes like my baby.

Pedro.png.7fa862c36e0c05f287d5987807ac708f.pngThis is where it gets interesting - let me elaborate.

I know what you're probably thinking about what I said earlier - This guy seems like the perfect CM(a), has great movement, finishing and traits to play the role of a devastating Lampard esque player

However this is where it gets dark.

So, I'd consider myself a pretty experienced player - I understand the basic concepts of making a tactic (I think) however I have convinced myself it is the traits on my players tripping me up and not the tactic. Let me explain;

Inside Forward, Deep Lying Forward, Advanced Playmaker all have 'take more risk' as a coded part of their role - Tielemans likes to play killer balls, so does Goncalves - does this mean they can operate as an effective 2 man midfield especially when they have an IF(a) looking to take risks and a DLF(a) also trying to take risks? OR  will they both be too busy looking for killer balls that I give it away cheaply and get countered. That's why I have played Soumare as his traits are a little more passive.

Goncalves can play ST and would make an effective DLF(a) as he likes to play killer balls - do I drop the Summer arrival of Silva?

1523063204_DesktopScreenshot2021_09.08-12_01_13_17.png.f3989c66bb926047acc023d15019235a.png  This feels like a regular occurrence against 'bad teams' - very congested relying on fullbacks to whip in the perfect cross.

I drew this game 1-1 vs bottom of the league AT HOME and yes I made sure to throw a bottle.

I'm unsure if its my tactic, players & in game adjustments (or lack there of) that are killing me in this save.

So I don't forget to mention - I would say most of the goals I concede feel like a flash in the pan. It feels like I'm keeping the ball nicely, creating some half chances and then suddenly im 1-0 down and fighting to get back into the game.

Sorry for the long story, I am just out of ideas with this team currently and would happily listen to any advice and or suggestions about how to turn this sinking ship back around. So my friends don't laugh at me.

Edited by dw2193

3 saat önce, dw2193 said:

1391250438_LeicestertacticAWAY.png.189d871741a7dab30c2a0d63234e5016.png

It seems that you use this for direct counters. You don't need to use wide attacking width all the time when you attack stronger teams. With wide attacking width; you force players to be far from each other and away from the opponent's goal.

• Your BWMs Soumare is not suited to that role. He has 8 aggression.
  • You can use another role instead of APa with an attack duty and a suited player for that role with pace which can be an additional body in the box for direct counter.
  • You can use Tielemans as a BBMs or BWMs on LCM to steal the ball on opposite field or you can use him as an APs to slow your direct counters.
  • Andre Silva is more suited to PFa than AFa. Both roles can be used for direct counters. Also he can play TMa role which can increase the effectiveness of direct counters and create more space for IFa.
  • You can use a Ws instead of IWs on RW. With this change you can provide width on the right and send more crosses.
  • You don't need to use tighter marking TI. It can damage your narrow defensive width.

1119656702_LeicestertacticHOME.png.eba691d3f03ae11c73f7254207fc2509.png

For this tactic; it seems you use this for weaker or equal sides. 

• Again, I don't suggest using Tielemans as the attacker CM. He has low pace & acceleration for this movement. You can use him as a support CM or a playmaker on LCM.
  • I don't suggest using 2 attack duty players on RB-RCM partnerships. I do not recommend this unless there is a strong reason.
  • Again you can use a Ws on RW to provide width and so as not to cram the game into a small space.
  • A support role lone forward may suit this system better. Because it is a possession based style (not a direct one) which needs an outside of the box forward who drops deep to give a pass option to others.
  • You can use a REG role with suited player against weaker or equal teams which don't use an AMC. Also you can use a DMs instead of DMd if your DM has good anticipation, pace, acceleration, workrate, stamina. Those roles are more suited to possession football.
Edited by zabyl

Will give all this a try,

Would you say Goncalves and Tielemans would be an effective AP and CM considering they both like to try killer balls, the only difference being Goncalves is looking more so to get into the box as he has 'arrives late in opponents area' as  PPI?

3 dakika önce, dw2193 said:

Would you say Goncalves and Tielemans would be an effective AP and CM considering they both like to try killer balls, the only difference being Goncalves is looking more so to get into the box as he has 'arrives late in opponents area' as  PPI?

Exactly. Goncalves has nice attributes to score goals for a central midfielder. Maybe I prefer gets into opposition area PPM to arrives late in opponents area PPM because he is more suited to this.

Also I wondered if you could clear something up for me,

As you can see Gouiri is amazing stats wise and yet he has two conflicting PPIs in; "runs with ball down left" & "likes to cut inside from left wing"

Does this mean every time he has the ball he will just choose the best option, or will the role I play him influence him to do more than the other. EG I have him on inside forward attack, so does he dribble up the left and then cut in, or does it mean he might do either one and cut in more often. 

As you can see Gouiri is amazing stats wise and yet he has two conflicting PPIs in; "runs with ball down left" & "likes to cut inside from left wing"

Does this mean every time he has the ball he will just choose the best option, or will the role I play him influence him to do more than the other. EG I have him on inside forward attack, so does he dribble up the left and then cut in, or does it mean he might do either one and cut in more often. 

I think that role and opposition play forces him to choose the right option. I don't remember myself having a problem with conflicting PPMs. You should monitor the movement. By the way he doesn’t have bad weaker foot and if he prefers that PPM when forced, it can be helpful.

Edited by zabyl

3 hours ago, zabyl said:

I think that role and opposition play forces him to choose the right option. I don't remember myself having a problem with conflicting PPMs. You should monitor the movement. By the way he doesn’t have bad weaker foot and if he prefers that PPM when forced, it can be helpful.

1107003824_NewTactic.png.d0cd94b746ddbc1199054ea75a81658b.png    Okay how about this - I've won 3 games but they've all been 1-0 wins against rather poor opposition. Only thing that worries me is the left flank

1 saat önce, dw2193 said:

1107003824_NewTactic.png.d0cd94b746ddbc1199054ea75a81658b.png    Okay how about this - I've won 3 games but they've all been 1-0 wins against rather poor opposition. Only thing that worries me is the left flank

I don’t understand why you use your both wide attackers as inside cutting roles. As I explained that creates attacking width issues and congests your attacks to a small central space. 

8 saat önce, dw2193 said:

1523063204_DesktopScreenshot2021_09.08-12_01_13_17.png.f3989c66bb926047acc023d15019235a.png  This feels like a regular occurrence against 'bad teams' - very congested relying on fullbacks to whip in the perfect cross.

Don’t you see it from this screenshot? All of your attackers are lost in narrow defence…

Maybe the problem is not your LW’s PPMs and your RW’s role? Would you mind reading what I wrote again please? There is the solution for your weaker attacking performance :)

Additionally; you don’t have to use a wide attacking width. All you need is a width providing RW role.

Edited by zabyl

1 hour ago, zabyl said:

I don’t understand why you use your both wide attackers as inside cutting roles. As I explained that creates attacking width issues and congests your attacks to a small central space. 

Don’t you see it from this screenshot? All of your attackers are lost in narrow defence…

Maybe the problem is not your LW’s PPMs and your RW’s role? Would you mind reading what I wrote again please? There is the solution for your weaker attacking performance :)

Additionally; you don’t have to use a wide attacking width. All you need is a width providing RW role.

Yeah I did sorry, it was something I would change game to game depending on opponent. It doesnt help that over the seasons ive collected all wide players that like to cut inside. 

11 hours ago, dw2193 said:

This guy seems like the perfect CM(a), has great movement, finishing and traits to play the role of a devastating Lampard esque player

I was watching a livestream Daljit had today and he said a CAR(s) with PPM arrives late into the box is more like a lampard player.

There's nothing horribly wrong with this just consider on a Positive mentality you're already playing with a bit of width plus the wingbacks will emphasise that even more. Maybe try dropping that TI or maybe go Narrow & let the WBs use a bit of natural width 

Honestly, I associate width with a direct 4-4-2 with wingers. It sets your players further apart a) to find each other with passes making it harder for your team to find each other b) to be able to close down opponents & passing lanes as it's giving them extra yardage to make up. Using it makes me feel uncomfortable :lol:

Maybe change the BPD to just a CD too, I don't think you need him taking risky passes when he should have a couple of safe options to pass to with your shape. Give him a bit of patience to play out from the back & help keep the ball

Is your Counter Press effective? I hardly use it as I see it has a high risk TI & like mentioned above, Counter Pressing when you're playing with Width doesn't sound like a good combination of TIs. It can distort your shape & make you easy to play through if the other team have the skill

Silva looks more like an Attack duty striker than Support, his PPI "like to beat offside trap" backs this up but he's an all round capable guy 

Gouiri looks like a great player but has a conflicting PPI so he won't always play like an IF which is a bit odd :lol:

I'd bring back your Playmaker back into midfield. Tielimans looks fantastic for the role

So after that waffle, something like:

DLF/ PF(S/A)

IF(A)                                                IW(S)

AP(S)            CM(A)

DM(D)

WB(S)     CD(D)              CD(D)       WB(S)

Silva could be Support or Attack, PF or DLF. On Support he could drop off higher opponent lines & look to feed in your flank guys and play back to the CMs. On Attack he'll look to push defenders further back to open things up for the CMs or be the focus of a counter attack so use him as you see fit

Thing I'm unsure of is the DM(D) you want him staying back at all times ideally & not straying too far from the CB's, just keep your eye on him, let the WBs & CMs go forward while he stays back with the CBs to avoid counters, I'd say use an Anchor Man but I've seen them go forward at times so maybe a HB(D) so he's forming a defensive triad? I dunno, something worth looking at     

Let us know what you change & how get on! :thup:

Edited by Johnny Ace

Okay this is what I'm starting the season with.

I've also done away with More Urgent pressing, and gone for a split block with the front 4 as my press.

Also I'd like to ask a question if possible.

I'm going to go ahead and commit to a W(a) on the right, is it worth buying an out and out star for that role.

Or could I use a player I already have who likes to cut inside, meaning they'll play like a winger and cut inside occasionally?

That sounds kind of dangerous no?

343622795_LeicteserFinal.png.c5755e7bcfca6c1e1015baf433a911f9.png

Edited by dw2193

1 minute ago, st.cronin said:

Have you considered using Gouri as a ramdeuter? Maybe even switch him to the right flank? 

I've tried, he can only play on the left and up front. He's one of those players who will get a 6.8 average for the season but scored 16 goals for me, which is not that bad for a wide player? I just expect him to dominate with them stats.

1 minute ago, dw2193 said:

I've tried, he can only play on the left and up front. He's one of those players who will get a 6.8 average for the season but scored 16 goals for me, which is not that bad for a wide player? I just expect him to dominate with them stats.

Keep in mind that an IFa will almost exclusively look to get on the end of chances. It's a very selfish role that really only cares about scoring. Hence, a lot of his talent won't be put to use. If you want him to take a bigger role in your team as a whole, try to change him to a IFs or an IWa. :)

Just now, Christopher S said:

Keep in mind that an IFa will almost exclusively look to get on the end of chances. It's a very selfish role that really only cares about scoring. Hence, a lot of his talent won't be put to use. If you want him to take a bigger role in your team as a whole, try to change him to a IFs or an IWa. :)

I'll give it a go, hes just such an animal I want to milk him before he forces his way to Madrid etc.