Return of The Tactics Bible......Maybe.....

2 hours ago, Cleon said:

So I have a little update.

I've been busy writing the past few days and have a great amount of content finished so far. The downside is, I still need to do lots more and I don't really have an order for the content yet. I'm still not sure when it'll be posted but I am slogging away. To give you an idea here is some of the stuff I've done so far. Some of the names will be familiar but it's all new/updated stuff for FM22 and beyond with new images and so forth.

1.thumb.png.d3e5ca6a56bf4ff65483289d29b7371b.png

2.thumb.png.a5e80c138e97f1e4f560f12b108e581e.png

I still have lots more to add. But to give you an idea of the sheer scale of this project, it's probably the most ambitious thing I've done. I actually still don't know how to distribute/showcase the content either. Maybe it would be best served as a free ebook/PDF perhaps.

Looking forward for "The Art of...." series...

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Cleon said:

So I have a little update.

I've been busy writing the past few days and have a great amount of content finished so far. The downside is, I still need to do lots more and I don't really have an order for the content yet. I'm still not sure when it'll be posted but I am slogging away. To give you an idea here is some of the stuff I've done so far. Some of the names will be familiar but it's all new/updated stuff for FM22 and beyond with new images and so forth.

1.thumb.png.d3e5ca6a56bf4ff65483289d29b7371b.png

2.thumb.png.a5e80c138e97f1e4f560f12b108e581e.png

I still have lots more to add. But to give you an idea of the sheer scale of this project, it's probably the most ambitious thing I've done. I actually still don't know how to distribute/showcase the content either. Maybe it would be best served as a free ebook/PDF perhaps.

Cleon, do you still have the old "The art of... " series to share?? 

My idea in FM22 will be setup 3 tactics based on it.. One for counter, one for attacking and one for possession...

Thanks for returning to forums...

1 hour ago, Cleon said:

Thanks a lot.. That's really great to have this back. I'll try to revert for FM22.

As you are bringing back your stuff, do you still have yours Arsenal Invincibles interpretation to share?

5 minutes ago, gpassosbh said:

Thanks a lot.. That's really great to have this back. I'll try to revert for FM22.

As you are bringing back your stuff, do you still have yours Arsenal Invincibles interpretation to share?

All 10 chapters can be found here;

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B2EXFGu1SfcqbzV4RXdZMVlCeFE?resourcekey=0-VbAA20Mr9AjQ6cr-IcazHw&usp=sharing

Excellent preface @Cleon and really appreciate your work. I was waiting for you to finish this series so I can read before starting my 1860 Munchen save. You had mentioned you hoped to release some of the content around the release of FM22. I know you don’t have a set date, but do you expect to release some content in the next few days/weeks, or do you expect this project to take months? Really appreciate all you do for the community, and look forward to reading your excellent content. Also really like how you’re going against the grain with the opposite gegenpress styles.

12 minutes ago, Tcufrog said:

Excellent preface @Cleon and really appreciate your work. I was waiting for you to finish this series so I can read before starting my 1860 Munchen save. You had mentioned you hoped to release some of the content around the release of FM22. I know you don’t have a set date, but do you expect to release some content in the next few days/weeks, or do you expect this project to take months? Really appreciate all you do for the community, and look forward to reading your excellent content. Also really like how you’re going against the grain with the opposite gegenpress styles.

Ah sorry if I gave the impression I would be releasing content. I was more saying I would be releasing snippets, so things like the above. Honestly I'd not wait for this as I'd be shocked if it was out for Xmas. It's not only writing I have to do but also play the game and get far in so I can show how to develop and evolve stuff :)

1 hour ago, Cleon said:

Ah sorry if I gave the impression I would be releasing content. I was more saying I would be releasing snippets, so things like the above. Honestly I'd not wait for this as I'd be shocked if it was out for Xmas. It's not only writing I have to do but also play the game and get far in so I can show how to develop and evolve stuff :)

All good kind sir, really appreciate everything you do!

I would LOVE to read so much more on a non 'attack attack attack, press, press, press' approach!  All that has been on these forums for 3-4 years is basically the same regurgitation of the this singular approach.

As someone who always plays smaller clubs, this would be a much needed breath of fresh air.  Your post above with the narrow diamond screenshot alone has already helped kick off new thoughts and ideas and I look forward to reading more about this approach!

On 06/11/2021 at 14:53, gpassosbh said:

Hello @Cleon,

Do you also have the Art of Possession article to share?

Thanks

Somewhere but I can't find it atm. I've just looked.

6 minutes ago, the SLC said:

@Cleon do you still have the what makes a goalscorer write up?

Still the same answer as the last time sadly. I have it but not sure where. The only version I can find is the one without images iirc, which is here;

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1m6oVP8RcjKGNtzpwYcIySTHEVyFqzRbAYqPzWMt44Eg/edit?usp=sharing

4 minutes ago, Cleon said:

Somewhere but I can't find it atm. I've just looked.

Still the same answer as the last time sadly. I have it but not sure where. The only version I can find is the one without images iirc, which is here;

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1m6oVP8RcjKGNtzpwYcIySTHEVyFqzRbAYqPzWMt44Eg/edit?usp=sharing

sorry i didnt realise it had already been asked. appreciate the document posted. thank you 

16 minutes ago, the SLC said:

sorry i didnt realise it had already been asked. appreciate the document posted. thank you 

You DM'd me about it :D

No worries though. It annoys me that I know its on my drive(S) and I can't find it :seagull:

Hi @Cleon. I have been using the art of counter attacking tactic with Manchester United.

I'm curious about the tactic mentality, because of course 'counter' isn't an option within mentality anymore in Fm22. 

Do you think i should play on 'balanced' with 'counter' ticked in transition? Or simply play on 'cautious' mentality?

41 minutes ago, DannyFM87 said:

Hi @Cleon. I have been using the art of counter attacking tactic with Manchester United.

I'm curious about the tactic mentality, because of course 'counter' isn't an option within mentality anymore in Fm22. 

Do you think i should play on 'balanced' with 'counter' ticked in transition? Or simply play on 'cautious' mentality?

Either method should be fine. It just depends on the type of counters you want and what you see happening in game. Cautious is just the old counter though.

1 hour ago, yonko said:

@Cleon

Do you plan on covering possession style for FM22? And how much of the old The Art of Possession is still applicable in your opinion in FM22?

It's all still applicable now. But it'll all be a full rewrite when I release the book(s)

@Cleoni have used a 3 at the back vertical tika strikerless tactic for a while and I’m sure have seen you say somewhere that it is one of your favourite set ups (might be wrong). Will you be covering this type of formation in the book. Would be very interested to see your approach with that type of system.  Looking forward to seeing the book when it comes out. Thanks for the effort you put in as always. 

6 hours ago, loisvale said:

@Cleoni have used a 3 at the back vertical tika strikerless tactic for a while and I’m sure have seen you say somewhere that it is one of your favourite set ups (might be wrong). Will you be covering this type of formation in the book. Would be very interested to see your approach with that type of system.  Looking forward to seeing the book when it comes out. Thanks for the effort you put in as always. 

Strikerless? Nah doubt I'll cover that. It's not something I tend to ever use. I know that some people love strikerless but its not for me. 

I would be interested about 3421 system which you have writed in the past, but images arent available. Do you @Cleon still have fm16 Santos experience available on drive?

I would also like to see More 3 at The back systems. Im struggling either with the wide play when using 3421 or 3412 or protecting The centre when playing 3-2-2-21/343. 

1 hour ago, Ilpoarm said:

I would be interested about 3421 system which you have writed in the past, but images arent available. Do you @Cleon still have fm16 Santos experience available on drive?

I would also like to see More 3 at The back systems. Im struggling either with the wide play when using 3421 or 3412 or protecting The centre when playing 3-2-2-21/343. 

This one? https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-9MrB7flAwTv2Zt7RPeD8hY7QgCWxduWjOiow6YFX1M/edit?usp=sharing

Also lots of 343 stuff in this post 

On 13/11/2021 at 06:48, Cleon said:

Strikerless? Nah doubt I'll cover that. It's not something I tend to ever use. I know that some people love strikerless but its not for me. 

Fair enough. I learnt so much from your forged in steel series. Was a total game changer for me in understanding roles, having different types of players to change games, developing players into roles to fit system etc. Belated thanks for that. 

Looking forward to seeing your Chris Wilder replication with the new WCB role in your upcoming guide. 

Hello, do you know will you complete and release this project or not? (Maybe in the title)

but my problem is which i would like to be covered is how do i place every player effectively on the pitch so that i have good passing options always and not them being most of the time close to each other. But also keeping in mind defensive stability and attacking penetration.

btw who is your favorite boxer from active ones?

Edited by 1petrsuhin3

13 hours ago, loisvale said:

Fair enough. I learnt so much from your forged in steel series. Was a total game changer for me in understanding roles, having different types of players to change games, developing players into roles to fit system etc. Belated thanks for that. 

Looking forward to seeing your Chris Wilder replication with the new WCB role in your upcoming guide. 

Cheers. All the principles will still apply to strikerless tactics so should still be helpful for you :)

8 hours ago, 1petrsuhin3 said:

Hello, do you know will you complete and release this project or not? (Maybe in the title)

but my problem is which i would like to be covered is how do i place every player effectively on the pitch so that i have good passing options always and not them being most of the time close to each other. But also keeping in mind defensive stability and attacking penetration.

btw who is your favorite boxer from active ones?

I have far too many favourite boxers to mention. I see you've done your research on me though :D

In answer to your question though you might find this helpful;

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YKw1k6SPC2ue20Ed_x8hQmBjxgGJPxNaHxqMdO0OiIs/edit?usp=sharing

3 hours ago, Aoyao said:

Great to see you writing again! :)

Thank you kindly :)

In a prior post Cleon wrote "I also wanted to write about non aggressive instructions because every single thread I pop into on here or elsewhere, it's always the same thing. High pressing, gegenpressing, high line, high LOE etc. I wanted to show variance and show how you can create tactics without any of that and still dominate and be successful. ".  I had been using high intensity tactics for quite a while out of fear that my results would collapse if I did anything different, especially a lower defensive line/line of engagement, so I gave his tips a try.  And of course it has been working out great.  Glad to have you back Cleon!

9 hours ago, Anteater said:

In a prior post Cleon wrote "I also wanted to write about non aggressive instructions because every single thread I pop into on here or elsewhere, it's always the same thing. High pressing, gegenpressing, high line, high LOE etc. I wanted to show variance and show how you can create tactics without any of that and still dominate and be successful. ".  I had been using high intensity tactics for quite a while out of fear that my results would collapse if I did anything different, especially a lower defensive line/line of engagement, so I gave his tips a try.  And of course it has been working out great.  Glad to have you back Cleon!

I'm also delighted to see this. I've been having some success with "close down less" this version, though I just tried the lower / much lower line combo away against UTd and they had 41 shots 😃

As always I know it won't just work in isolation, it has to be part of a joined up tactic. Which is why I'm so excited to see the book (s) when Cleon has finished scribbling. 

• 2 weeks later...

For me, what is really needed is an in depth study of each position-role-duty with examples of movement on pitch in defense-transition-attack.

My thought is that with this a person could see how they each work together to make a tactic.

• 5 weeks later...

Awesome to see that you are doing this, but btw, disagree that it should be free, you should charge something (or ask donations/patreon) for this huge task so the community can give you something back for it (at least make it optional). Maybe it can also be a self published e-book that many of us would buy, I think it's quite easy through amazon but I have zero experience on it.

Edited by Icy

17 hours ago, Icy said:

Awesome to see that you are doing this, but btw, disagree that it should be free, you should charge something (or ask donations/patreon) for this huge task so the community can give you something back for it (at least make it optional). Maybe it can also be a self published e-book that many of us would buy, I think it's quite easy through amazon but I have zero experience on it.

I can ask for donations but not allowed to make it a physical copy/e-book and charge if I use FM content inside the book like screenshots etc. SI already put stop to a book I was doing a few years back for the same reason. It was one of the number of reasons why I stopped content creating in the first place. I wasn't doing it to make money, the books would have been sold for cost value.

27 minutes ago, Cleon said:

I can ask for donations but not allowed to make it a physical copy/e-book and charge if I use FM content inside the book like screenshots etc. SI already put stop to a book I was doing a few years back for the same reason. It was one of the number of reasons why I stopped content creating in the first place. I wasn't doing it to make money, the books would have been sold for cost value.

I can, to an extent, see why SI stopped the book, but at the same time, so many content creators on this site don't get anywhere near the recognition that they deserve and would be fair to have an option for donations. 

Creators like yourself use your own time to give in depth and detailed guides to other players, experienced or otherwise. You don't have to, but I for one, really appreciate it and I'm sure many others do too. 

I've learned a lot from your guides and it's great to see you back on here again. 

On 04/01/2022 at 10:04, Cleon said:

I can ask for donations but not allowed to make it a physical copy/e-book and charge if I use FM content inside the book like screenshots etc. 

If you would give me the option for a donation I would definitely do that. And if you would put a number up there that you would like to charge if you where selling it I would pay that happily. 

And I don't think I'm the only one 😉