Have You Chosen Your FM22 Save Yet?

I'm still torn. I like smaller European leagues where I could make a team the dominant force in the nation and then try and make an imprint on Europe. FM21 had me going through Norway with Tromso and then Molde.

For 22, I'm considering either Ukraine (had a Ukraine FM08 save that is still my favourite ever) or the Swiss league, but not sure which team. I did like the idea of FC Vaduz as the Liechtenstein representatives in the Swiss league, but the fact they cannot be crowned champions obviously kills it a bit. 

Just wondering if others had settled on their FM22 story yet?

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll start in Australia (never played there), try to win the Asian champions league and then move to a Championship/bottom Premier league team. That way I'll get to play in two leagues I never tried and it's a fairly realistic career path. 

I usually take a team from the bottom league to the top, then when i'm bored of winning i'll move on to another club at the bottom do the same. I focus on developing a club over a long period and usually only sign young players to develop them into stars.

On FM22 i might try a journeyman save starting at the bottom as usual but rather than developing a club and generally siging youth i'll focus on me instead and signing players for instant success and move onto bigger clubs when i can and care less about the long term future of club i'm managing. More short term club management of a few seasons instead of spending upto 20 seasons at a club.

Either that or a youth only challenge starting at the bottom, i've been put off doing that my seeing how rubbish my youth intakes have been while staying at a club long term, in my current save i took Lancaster from the Conference North to the best in Europe over 20 years and in that time i don't think i would have had a full starting 11 and subs anywhere near good enough to get out of non league, i'm not sure how people manage to do it so at some point i want to experience that for myself.

I’ve been playing in South America the past few months for the first time ever and I’m really enjoying being away from Europe and learning about the different league set ups down there.

So FM22 I’ve decided that I will try and have a one save file journeyman around the world trying to do the Pentagon challenge, although I won’t be sticking strictly to the rules as I won’t have player masking on and will probs start with a National A licence.

Plan is to start in Asia before moving on to Africa, South America, Europe then finally North America.

One thing is for sure though, I will NOT be managing in any of the big 5 European leagues. I’ve made a rule with myself that I want to experience more of the game instead of doing the same thing I’ve done for literally decades :kriss::lol:

I'd be very interested in a MLS save if the new announced developmental leagues (MLS Next for academies and the new minor league controlled by MLS) are added in FM 22, hopefully with new CONCACAF Champions League format as well. New Zealand also looks fun to play with new league structure (regional leagues as qualifiers for national league), would be great if SI could add NZ as an official league.

The short answer: I've decided to do a one club save instead of a journeyman, for the first time in many years.  It'll be Stranraer.

The long answer:  I prefer managing in countries where I know the geography (local derbies etc), the pecking order, league rules, and where I've heard of all the clubs.  In my case, that narrows it down to Britain and Ireland.

I prefer a smaller team because I struggle with tactics and in the lower leagues tactics can generally be simpler and mistakes more forgiving.  I also prefer working with smaller squads and coaching teams because I think I get to know the characters better.

I discounted Ireland and Wales because they only have two tiers in game and I want to take a team up several divisions, although living in N Wales one of my local tier two sides were tempting.

I also put aside Northern Ireland because I usually start my journeymans there and want a change.  I discounted England because of the size of the divisions and number of games, I prefer smaller divisions as you get to know your competitors better.  That left Scotland, which is fine because I'm an enthusiastic player rather than a good one so it'll be a real long term challenge to take on the old firm, let alone achieve in Europe.  In fact I think I'll be chuffed if I can get to the Premiership.

I had a holiday job near Stranraer a few years ago and adopted them as my Scottish team, so once I decided on Scottish League Two they were the obvious.  I've  got a birthday coming up and I'm hoping for Stranraer shirt and mug to get me in the zone while playing.

Not 100% sure who but will be a big team for the beta just to get used to the new game and then start with a more challenging side when main game comes out if of course there isn't any bugs which could put me off starting a proper save  

Always like to start multiple saves in different leagues:

Man United to start with, can't wait to see Any PA updates, and of course RONALDO! 

Fulham as a local team, in the championship with a very good team, and some interesting youth prospects. 

Roma seem interesting this year. I'm a fan of English players going abroad, so managing Tammy Abraham, along with Rui Patricio etc. Could be interesting

Parma in serie B, another team I've been to see play live a couple of times. Buffon is back, and they've acquired some really interesting youth prospects too. A good rebuild project. 

OGC Nice have a nice project coming along, and would be interested to manage Stengs, Kluivert etc. 

Going to manage in Northern Ireland for the first time, taking charge of Glentoran. I will dabble at some point in managing RB Leipzig to create a gargantuan franchise to rival Bayern.

Beta-save: Augsburg. The U21 cup winning midfield of Dorsch (who was my star in 20) and Maier (who was in 19) sounds like fun! 

Release: Probably my obligatory 3rd-league to Champion's league run to get a grip on the ME and experiment wildly. If I'm modding the league in, probably Aachen. If not I'll be inspired by the AI during the beta.

Winter: The usual Wolfsburg save. 

On 07/09/2021 at 12:02, DasMagicMullet said:

I'm still torn. I like smaller European leagues where I could make a team the dominant force in the nation and then try and make an imprint on Europe. FM21 had me going through Norway with Tromso and then Molde.

For 22, I'm considering either Ukraine (had a Ukraine FM08 save that is still my favourite ever) or the Swiss league, but not sure which team. I did like the idea of FC Vaduz as the Liechtenstein representatives in the Swiss league, but the fact they cannot be crowned champions obviously kills it a bit. 

Just wondering if others had settled on their FM22 story yet?

My Saves each and every year are a team from a lesser nation or a lowly side that i take through and my aim is to build the nation once i have become a dominant force.

over the years i have had some great saves with..

Bodo Glimt - 2nd Div Norway - FM14

HK - 2nd Div Iceland - FM16/17 i believe

FC Felgueiras - 4th tier Portugal - FM20

AB - 3rd Tier Denmark - FM21

this year i have plumped for BK Forward in 4th tier in Sweden.

others on my list to do at somepoint providing they stay in lower divisions is... Vasas (Hungary), Otelul (Romania) and around 4 or 5 clubs where i would need to download lower divisions in those nations.

countries on my list to try are:

Romania

Croatia

Hungary

Poland

for me its all about finding the right club and the club must have a badge i like

Beta save with Liverpool as always. Manage them until I get bored. Quite realistic save as well so I end up only doing one transfer a season anyways. FSG's wet dream I am. 

Main save will be with one of the Red Bull teams, can only sign players from other Red Bull teams and will hopefully get the move to Leipzig and take over the world. Ideal progression path will be New York Red Bulls or Brazilian Red Bulls (forget actual name), then move to Salzburg, then finally Leipzig. 

Then maybe a Journeyman save in Asia to finish the game off.

43 minutes ago, Kloppy said:

Beta save with Liverpool as always. Manage them until I get bored. Quite realistic save as well so I end up only doing one transfer a season anyways. FSG's wet dream I am. 

Main save will be with one of the Red Bull teams, can only sign players from other Red Bull teams and will hopefully get the move to Leipzig and take over the world. Ideal progression path will be New York Red Bulls or Brazilian Red Bulls (forget actual name), then move to Salzburg, then finally Leipzig. 

Then maybe a Journeyman save in Asia to finish the game off.

Red Bull Brazil? Not to be confused with Red Bull Bragantino. The latter is in the state of Sao Paulo, the former in the state of Rio de Janeiro. Cheers.

On 07/09/2021 at 17:16, herne79 said:

Same as this year: Create a Club, take over Leyton Orient and turn them into...

3.png

Similar to this, my long-term FM22 save will be with an edited database set up to have Monster Energy develop their own group of teams to take on Red Bull at their own game. The first club?

SC Preußen Mönster

SC_Preußen_Mönster_logo.png

Beta - Liverpool as always. Probably then RB Leipzig as I never really got going in the Bundesliga in 21. Maybe down the line do the RB path - might a be a chance to check out Brazil finally.

Always wanted to do a MLS save but not sure if FM have sorted the rules yet.

9 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

Similar to this, my long-term FM22 save will be with an edited database set up to have Monster Energy develop their own group of teams to take on Red Bull at their own game. The first club?

SC Preußen Mönster

SC_Preußen_Mönster_logo.png

Disappointed you didn't go with Münster Energie.

23 hours ago, phd_angel said:

Red Bull Brazil? Not to be confused with Red Bull Bragantino. The latter is in the state of Sao Paulo, the former in the state of Rio de Janeiro. Cheers.

Yes thats the one, just could not remember the name. 

Im a little undecided. There are a few teams taking my fancy and not sure who to be.

I was nailed on with Arsenal. A nice club who need a rebuild. However, they get managed by what seems like half the people who play the game.

I like Barcelona for the fact that although theyre in huge debt, the squad they have still is more than capable of mounting a challenge. But then, you could say the same thing about Real Madrid, who have been after Mbappe, need a new centreback partnership and have some good young talent to work with, with the likes of Vinicius, Valverde and newly signed Camavinga.

Then i looked to France and had two teams in mind. I think theres a new crop of talent to bring through at Monaco to replace the likes of Mbappe, Bernardo Silva, Fabinho etc and challenge PSG. But looking at the league too, I think Marseille have built a very tidy little squad that could do something. I like Rongier, Payet as a creative force, Saliba at the back.....seems nice.

I also like rugged, useless teams. The one that always captures the imagination from FM's past is Albion Rovers of Scotland, who seem to be doing much better now in real life. And whilst not useless at their level, Kelty Hearts seem like the sort of team that could rocket up the leagues.

But then youve also got Celtic, trying to hunt down Gerrard's Rangers with a new crop of players after selling Edouard and Christie. Can the new Postecoglou era be emulated?

So im really not sure. My inclination is Arsenal but its a very used team. So im open to suggestion.

I think I have changed my save from the official release to the winter update.

I am doing a longer save as FC Vaduz with the goal to developing enough Liechtensteiners to make an impact on the world cup. I'd have loved to do the same as San Marino Calcio but I am quite sure my travelling laptop would not be able to run this setup for long enough to make any progress.

I've changed my mind about starting abroad. In FM19 or FM20 I started a journeyman save at Colchester which I enjoyed. I've just looked at its philosophy and policies and I've decided to start at Colchester again but this time I may well do a one team save which is something I've only ever done previously when undertaking @dafuge's challenge or failing miserably when trying the Youth Academy Challenge.

I have quite a few saves every year.

I have started spending more time on youth only saves so will do that again.  Definitely a save of this in England, Scotland (will wait for @Morrisseydatabase if he does it again this year so can start in tier 7) and small nation like Andorra.

I will also do the @dafugechallenge.

And a European journeyman.

But I am always drawn back to youth only challenges.

Edited by DazRTaylor

typically my beta is with a team I support, then I start the game with a lower league team, usually England between tiers 4-6 or 3rd division of another top country. Then switch to a journeyman save with unemployed start and relatively low reputation. 

Probably Kaiserslautern or US Orleans.