Pass Into Space

'Pass into space instructs players to look to make passes into open spaces for their team-mates to run on to.'

Look, I know what 'Pass Into Space' means. I also know what it means in the context of playing a game of football. I do wish, however, that SI would cut out these ambiguous tactical instructions in favor of more specific and situational instructions. For example, how cool would it be to 'Pass Into Space Only in Final Third' or 'Pass Into Space from AM Quadrant'.

If my CB has the ball, I'm assuming that 'Pass Into Space' doesn't mean he'll play a small through ball to his CB partner. Or my LB won't play it ahead of my DM if the safest pass is lateral or backwards. So, my question:

• What is Pass Into Space used for? When is it useful? It would make sense that it's for slipping in wingers behind the defense or for a striker playing on the shoulder of a defender.  But I don't know.
  • Is it situational? When does it 'kick in'?

Pass into space with your centrebacks means they will look to play long passes into the space behind the opposition back 4 more often.

But it also means your other players will try to as well, as its a team instruction.

Why not single out your more creative players and give them licence to try through balls with PI's instead.

Its just to increase the frequency theyll look for the through ball. It doesnt mean theyll do it all the time. Or else youd never keep the ball.

It's a Team Instruction so it will affect the whole team. Your players will actively look to pass ahead of players making forward runs. The stage they will look for this pass type is during approach play, not the final third.

This team instruction modifier I find best used when you have pace out wide/up front & what to take advantage of an over zealous attacking full back or a centre half lacking pace/awareness. 

39 minutes ago, Lesterfan_Cambiasso said:

Pass into space with your centrebacks means they will look to play long passes into the space behind the opposition back 4 more often.

But it also means your other players will try to as well, as its a team instruction.

Why not single out your more creative players and give them licence to try through balls with PI's instead.

Its just to increase the frequency theyll look for the through ball. It doesnt mean theyll do it all the time. Or else youd never keep the ball.

Yeah makes sense. I'll play around with my system a bit. I'm playing a 4-3-3 with Real Sociedad with Oyarzabal and Januzaj as Inside Forwards (A) with William Jose as a lone striker False Nine, David Silva as Advanced Playmaker from the CM(L) position. I'm trying to have William Jose drop deep, combine with Silva, then spring my Inside Forwards with through balls. If you have any ideas...

36 minutes ago, YAMS said:

It's a Team Instruction so it will affect the whole team. Your players will actively look to pass ahead of players making forward runs. The stage they will look for this pass type is during approach play, not the final third.

This team instruction modifier I find best used when you have pace out wide/up front & what to take advantage of an over zealous attacking full back or a centre half lacking pace/awareness. 

Sounds like you're suggesting it might be best used in a high-pressing counter system with high wingers or strikers moving into the channels.

Also, you mention they look for this pass type during approach play, not the final third. That sounds like an important distinction. Would you be kind enough to explain?

Edited by darthrodent

10 minutes ago, darthrodent said:

Sounds like you're suggesting it might be best used in a high-pressing counter system with high wingers or strikers moving into the channels.

Also, you mention they look for this pass type during approach play, not the final third. That sounds like an important distinction. Would you be kind enough to explain?

Any system really where you have attacking/forward running roles. So APA/PFA/CFA at striker or WA/IWA/IFA at winger, for example. Any counter system can use it I guess but it will make your passing more direct, remember it's a Team Instruction so it has to be something that modifies the whole teams individual Player Instructions. 

As for the Approach Play, well look at the area the Pass Into Space option sits in, it's under Approach Play not the Final Third. Where Approach play ends & Final Third begins though depends on the oppositions defensive line depth & pitch length. 

17 minutes ago, jozza800 said:

So essentially it's the same as the 'Take More Risks' PI and the 'Tries Killer Balls PPM?

No, not really.

Pass Into Space is an instruction for the whole team to look to pass to players making forward runs in the Approach Play phase. 

Take More Risks PI is a modifier for that player to try more risky passes in all situations (Approach Play & Final Third), whether they be through balls, raking passes to feet, 1st times passes, etc. 

Tries Killer Balls PPM is a trait where the player will look for a through ball/killer ball. As this is a trait it will override both TI's & PI's, i.e. you can't 'really' stop him doing it. 

A pass in to space isn't always a through ball, it could be used as part if a wing overload for example to an advancing full back. 

For the 'pass into space' Team instruction i think it is for situation where there is clearly available space behind opposition defensive line when they are defending. Opposition using high defensive line and perhaps high pressing, this situation pass into space instruct all players to pump the ball behind the line to you front line. It might be from CB or CM doesn't matter and accuracy is not as important as playing killer ball when you are controlling possession in the final third. 

For players who are naturally playmaker types (look for killer ball traits and excellent passer good vision style), whether in game or irl these players will look for killer ball in any situation anyway, its their dna. So it doesn't really matter what roles they play if they play the playmaker roles they may attempt more riskier pass than more defensive roles.  If you want pass into space from AMC choose natural playmaker type player to play that position. 

Take more risk is probably for situational use when you play a good passer in a roles like CM(support) and you want them to play more killer pass or may be CB and Fullbacks who are good passers.

4 hours ago, p_kk said:

For the 'pass into space' Team instruction i think it is for situation where there is clearly available space behind opposition defensive line when they are defending. Opposition using high defensive line and perhaps high pressing, this situation pass into space instruct all players to pump the ball behind the line to you front line. It might be from CB or CM doesn't matter and accuracy is not as important as playing killer ball when you are controlling possession in the final third. 

Pass Into Space instruction is used during Approach Play only. Whilst I agree it is more of a counter attack PI to take advantage of a fast forward against a high dline (Think Leicester City/Jamie Vardy) it is actually useful for any player running in to space. A wing overload on an advancing full back, for example.