Filter attributes

DJ Sir Matthew

I have no idea if this is possible to do. One of my biggest personal problems I have with FM is information overload (I'm getting old, I know). And while you can highlight the most important attributes and secondary attributes, the difference is not strong enough for me and I'm still scanning over the other less important attributes, causing white noise.

What I would like to be possible is when I select a role, the most important attributes are highlighted and the secondary too (but less strong too make them distinct) like it is done now but to have all other attributes put in "transparent" mode so you don't see them. That is the baseline. In the example below I blackened them out but transparent would be better I suppose:

1364739164_FMattributesadjustment.jpg.d5d5c02b0101aaf97f2b88d32ce283eb.jpg

Further improvements would be to have a button on the player's page to activate or deactivate this setting in case you want to do a deeper analysis. (alternative : have transparent unimportant attributes on the landing page - overview, but not on the other pages)

Ideal situation would then be to have the attributes still shown ordered so they appear next to each other so there is less strain to the eyes.

967977197_FMattributesadjustment2.jpg.632453e70e9b0a8c74c4e10bec1f7353.jpg

@DJ Sir Matthew  What skin are you using?  It should be possible to do the first example (with some transparency), but not the bottom one.  The knock-on effect would be that if you wanted to see all attributes without a role selected, they would all be slightly transparent.

Edited by Geoff Newman
tagging OP

25 minutes ago, Geoff Newman said:

@DJ Sir Matthew  What skin are you using?  It should be possible to do the first example (with some transparency), but not the bottom one.  The knock-on effect would be that if you wanted to see all attributes without a role selected, they would all be slightly transparent.

@Geoff Newman Currently using the Flut Dark Skin in FM Touch but something based off the base skin is good enough for me too. Good to know it's possible, that's a positive :) I don't mind fiddling myself but I have no idea where to start (what file , how the overall structure looks like, what parameters to adjust etc). So if you can f.e. just direct me to where I could make the adjustments and what adjustments to make for getting the first example up and running, that would be nice. Whether based on Flut (which is prolly more complex because all information is included in the player "profile" view) or on the standard skin.

@DJ Sir Matthew Right, so here we go.  It's not perfect by any means.  The row image is below the table, and you cannot change the colour of the text for individual rows, so to kind of obscure out the values you need the row to be a colour similar to the text.  This is what I've been able to do (I'm sure someone better versed might be able to do a better job)

Spoiler

Attributes.png.18a772388113d9a6693affbdcce5854a.png

For this, I created a new folder in graphics -> tables -> custom, which I called "normal".  Inside I put the attached files.  The row.xml contains the colour for the row.  Changing the name will change the colour ("fg" should be the colour of text, "fg darker", "fg lighter" & "fg alpha" are all defined in the settings file and likely to be the best to play around with):

<colour id="red_replacement" name="fg darker"/>

Then opened all of the player attributes panel.xml (so also player attributes panel1.xml, player attributes panel3abox, etc...) which can be found in panels -> player, and changed the following line:

<flags id="not_important_attribute_row_appearance" value="tables/standard/row/normal/row"/>

to:

<flags id="not_important_attribute_row_appearance" value="tables/custom/attributes/normal/row"/>

row.png

row@2x.png

row.xml

@Geoff Newman thanks! it is better but I feel the values should be "greyed out/transpartent" too to get a real benefit... I'm afraid that the value colors depend on the value (logic) but if there was a way to make their colour depend on the combination of value & color attribute, that would be the solution I guess?

8 minutes ago, DJ Sir Matthew said:

@Geoff Newman thanks! it is better but I feel the values should be "greyed out/transpartent" too to get a real benefit... I'm afraid that the value colors depend on the value (logic) but if there was a way to make their colour depend on the combination of value & color attribute, that would be the solution I guess?

@DJ Sir Matthew - I agree.  Unfortunately, the only way to get close to that would be to go to Preferences -> Custom Skin Colour and change the attribute thresholds all to a similar colour to the text.  But then you won't have the ability to quickly glance at which attributes are best.

Alternatively, it is possible to arrange the attribute tables by attribute value (e.g the technical table will be ordered by the players' highest scoring attribute to lowest).  This way, a judgement could be made by seeing how many of the top attributes in each column are highlighted as required/preferred.

2 minutes ago, Geoff Newman said:

@DJ Sir Matthew - I agree.  Unfortunately, the only way to get close to that would be to go to Preferences -> Custom Skin Colour and change the attribute thresholds all to a similar colour to the text.  But then you won't have the ability to quickly glance at which attributes are best.

Alternatively, it is possible to arrange the attribute tables by attribute value (e.g the technical table will be ordered by the players' highest scoring attribute to lowest).  This way, a judgement could be made by seeing how many of the top attributes in each column are highlighted as required/preferred.

@Geoff Newmanhow do you do the latter? While not perfect (as the order of attributes would change everytime) it might be something worth trying out.

Thanks again for taking the time to help out!

@DJ Sir Matthew Make these changes in the player attribute panels:

From this

<!-- Table properties to use for all attribute tables -->
	<record id="table_properties" mode="fill_rows, stripe_rows, printable" layout="-1, 14, 45, 33" row_height="22" row_spacing="1" default_sort_column="name">
		<list id="column_table_properties">
			<!-- Attribute name -->
			<record index="0" id="name" left="8" top="0">
				<record id="widget_info" class="text" alignment="left,centre_y" multiline="false"/>
			</record>
			<!-- Attribute training improvement offset -->
			<record index="1" id="offs" sort_disabled="true">
				<record id="widget_info" class="training_improvement" />
			</record>
			<!-- Attribute value -->
			 <record index="2" id="val " top="1" bottom="1"  sort_disabled="true" column_alignment="centre,can_scale">
        <record id="widget_info" class="attribute_label"  alignment="centre,can_scale" colour="black" size="11" font="label" use_attribute_colour_as_bg="true" appearance="boxes/custom/attributes/paper"/>
      </record>
			<!-- Attribute edit widget -->
			<record index="3" id="edit" sort_disabled="true">
				<record id="widget_info" class="editable_client_object_property_panel" />
			</record>
		</list>
	</record>

to:

<!-- Table properties to use for all attribute tables -->
	<record id="table_properties" mode="fill_rows, stripe_rows, printable" layout="-1, 14, 45, 33" row_height="22" row_spacing="1" default_sort_column="name">
      <integer id="default_sort_column" value="val" />
		<list id="column_table_properties">
			<!-- Attribute name -->
			<record index="0" id="name" left="8" top="0">
				<record id="widget_info" class="text" alignment="left,centre_y" multiline="false"/>
			</record>
			<!-- Attribute training improvement offset -->
			<record index="1" id="offs" sort_disabled="true">
				<record id="widget_info" class="training_improvement" />
			</record>
			<!-- Attribute value -->
			 <record index="2" id="val " top="1" bottom="1"  sort_disabled="false" column_alignment="centre,can_scale">
        <record id="widget_info" class="attribute_label"  alignment="centre,can_scale" colour="black" size="11" font="label" use_attribute_colour_as_bg="true" appearance="boxes/custom/attributes/paper"/>
      </record>
			<!-- Attribute edit widget -->
			<record index="3" id="edit" sort_disabled="true">
				<record id="widget_info" class="editable_client_object_property_panel" />
			</record>
		</list>
	</record>