Tactical Tips for Fiorentina (FM20)

It's been quite a while since I've played FM but yesterday I started a new save with Fiorentina. Preseason went great, beating several mid-high profile teams. But I'm now five games into the Serie A season and I'm without a win (four draws, one loss), scoring only three goals. My current tactics are shown below, both being essentially presets with slight additions made. Any tips and help are much appreciated. Also, for this save I don't want to stay at Fiorentina all my career, so other tips regarding adapting tactics to suit new teams, etc. is also much appreciated (sorry if this post isn't super specific, I have literally lost all my aptitude with FM). Feel free to ask for more screenshots if needed.

321394322_ScreenShot2021-08-28at12_35_31pm.png.1129ebc381d947c57f66b2977873b85f.png1208263105_ScreenShot2021-08-28at12_36_07pm.png.91dd1b2855e3c868d00c0729f048c781.png

• 5 weeks later...

Before creating a tactic, watch the players attributes. You are using Vlahovic as a pressing forward but that's not his best role for example.

First tactic has huge problems. You are playing cautios with work ball into the box and no offensive duties. You just saying 'let's keep the ball and try to not get a goal'.

Second tactic, you're using Chiesa as an IW but he's right footed. Players are extremely wide so they could be isolated, especially Ribery as a winger. Not talking about pressing and lines.

Think about the movements you wanna create

First tactic your midfield are all vacating the middle of pitch. 2/3 have roam from position, 1 has stay wider. I would consider something more static involved, maybe DLPs? To exasperate the chaotic structure of your current midfield, you are man marking which means guys will be out of position even more frequently. I don’t like defending narrower for a Wingback system. The shape will protect you through the middle (assuming we solidify with first recommendation). By playing narrower you are isolating your wing backs out wide with virtually zero support in front nor behind. Sure, the right side has protection inside of him with Car, but that may be odd position out if you reformat what you have. The man marking you have set only elevates the work load you are putting on the wing backs. All in all, the first tactic looks like a structural nightmare. I don’t know personnel well enough to know, but there’s a lot of running, a lot of tackling and I wonder how you are even getting 11 guys to finish line. To me, all this chaos, if effective, should NOT be playing a low block where you structural integrity is more important.