The Most Playmakers Tactic

I don’t think so, usually you want to have players who provide cover, some who are creative and some who are making runs.

A DLPd could provide cover and any Playmaker will be creative. However they don’t really provide much deep mobility, not even those with an attack duty. 

Also playmakers are looking to come close to the ball to provide passing options, they could get into each other way very easily. 

5 hours ago, Wavelberry said:

Does anyone reckon they could get a tactic working with as many players as they can being playmakers?

I mean every midfielder pretty much could be one. Could it work? Anyone got any theories?

I think the default "Tiki Taka" 4-3-3 preset has 3 playmakers in the middle. You could try that and see if it works. It does seem a little overkill but I bet you'd have fantastic possession stats! :lol:

I've managed to get one working with DLP, RPM and AP (DM two CMs) which was defensively solid but lacked goals. Wondering if you put wide playmakers in whether it would become too messy and then whether there are any ball magnet forward roles.

The Reckonist had a tactic in FM 19 (I think...) that had 5 playmakers + 2 Segundo Volantes. Was called Gilfy Pleasures or something like that and had a Libero, a Regista, 2 Wide Playmakers and a Trequartista up front, if I'm not mistaken. Therefore, 5 playmakers.

Also, 2 Ball Playing Defenders and 2 Segundo Volantes. I dont remember what role the last attacker had, but I think it was Advanced Forward.

It was a very functional tactic for FM 19. Sure shouldnt work, but it did. I had a run with it for 2 years until the AI started to give me trouble.

A lot of playmaker is just going to cancel out half the point of a playmaker (that player gets the ball more than other players). It'll also play more possession oriented football, which may or may not be a good thing for you. In theory you could have as many as six in a standard back four formation

In a standard 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 you could go WPA/DLPS/APS/WPA aross the midfield, that has a semblance of balance I guess but little else going for it. Then go two treqs at AM/striker or two treq strikers. Would be amusing. 

Actually I was speculating about trying something with a playmaker in 3 different tiers, something like:

TQ

AP-s          AM-A        ??

CM-d      DLP-s

WB-a    CD-d   CD-d   WB-s

Not sure what I would play on the right side, torn between IF-s and W-a

Could also swap out the WB-s for something a bit more conservative/an IWB-s/d and make the DLP-s an RPM for giggles.  Similarly AM-a could be an SS.

The idea being the TQ works as a hybrid scorer/creator which moves around a lot to create space for the AM who is the primary goal scorer, with whatever I pick at RW another goal scorer.

I almost never play 4-2-3-1 but I figure this could be fun, probably wouldn't work mind.

35 minutes ago, WhyMe said:

Actually I was speculating about trying something with a playmaker in 3 different tiers, something like:

TQ

AP-s          AM-A        ??

CM-d      DLP-s

WB-a    CD-d   CD-d   WB-s

Not sure what I would play on the right side, torn between IF-s and W-a

Could also swap out the WB-s for something a bit more conservative/an IWB-s/d and make the DLP-s an RPM for giggles.  Similarly AM-a could be an SS.

The idea being the TQ works as a hybrid scorer/creator which moves around a lot to create space for the AM who is the primary goal scorer, with whatever I pick at RW another goal scorer.

I almost never play 4-2-3-1 but I figure this could be fun, probably wouldn't work mind.

Go with a Raumdeuter or IWA on the right flank, you need a goal scoring threat from that position with a APS on the opposite flank. I'd probably change that AMA to a SS as well with a TQ up top. Right back a simple FBS for balance against the WBA & if you are set on the CMD then maybe change the DLPS to RPM or APS. 

Edited by YAMS

I had an Arsenal save in mind for my last FM21 long term save and just a laugh I thought I'd give this a go with Arsenal.  They don't really have the players well suited for it, but I figured I'd shoe horn what they had into the tactic for now and then look to build a more suitable squad for it over time.  I was staggered by how well it went.

I have two versions of the tactic and on the main one I went with the RPM and IWB-s version in the end with a IW-a/W-a on the right flank to provide an additional goal threat.  The alternative version is a DM 4-2-3-1 with a FB-s instead of IWB-s, but otherwise basically the same except for a split low block instead of a high press in the main tactic.

On to performances, I am only in March so not a complete season yet but, Auba has 32 goals in 26 starts (3 sub) playing as a TQ up top. Reiss Nelson has 16 goals and 9 assists playing as a IW-a (and W-a occasionally) in 23 starts (3 sub), Smith Rowe has 10 assists and 3 goals as the AP-s on the left in 23 starts (12 sub) and Odegaard has 15 assists and 4 goals playing as shadow striker (though this is inflated by the fact he takes set pieces, so perhaps the most disappointing).  The only average rating below 7 in the starting 11 is Dani Ceballos playing as the RPM, but he isn't terribly well suited to the role and he has been sharing duties with Granit Xhaka who has a 7.13, so still not too bad.

However, the guy playing as the TQ in the second string for Europa league/easier league games/easy cup games is Lacazette and he has not performed well, particularly when compared to Auba.  He has still managed an average rating of 6.98 with 6 goals and 5 assists from 16 starts (5 sub).

Still it has been a fun experiment and I will carry on the save with the tactics, I am interested to see how good it is when the players actually suit the tactic.

Edited by WhyMe