Assessing defense

I'm looking at defense and how to measure it so I have 2 questions. 

In FM how to measure the defensive contribution of a player? You can look at tackles and interception but I feel that they are very unsatisfactory. A player can win a lot of useless tackles because they are not in key places or because he just plays for a team that is constantly under pressure so the stats are increased artificially. Is there any better stats in FM? 

Second question is related to the important stats did someone do any tests as to what contributes to tackling for instance? Tackle / bravery and aggression are often mentionned but strength also plays a role. Is it better to have 20 strength and 10 elsewhere or 20 aggression and 10 elsewhere? 

For interceptions what would be the key parameters? Decision and positioning would be my guess but would someone have data? 

Cheers 

11 hours ago, xavinwonderland said:

I'm looking at defense and how to measure it so I have 2 questions. 

In FM how to measure the defensive contribution of a player? You can look at tackles and interception but I feel that they are very unsatisfactory. A player can win a lot of useless tackles because they are not in key places or because he just plays for a team that is constantly under pressure so the stats are increased artificially. Is there any better stats in FM? 

This is not just your question or FM question. It is an age old question for any major sport in the world since the emergence of data analytics. How do you properly measure defensive contribution of a single player? Prime Maldini only averaged around 1 tackle/90 minute much lower than a lot of modern day defenders and yet he is regarded as one of the finest defenders in football history. And frankly no one has the definite answer for it. Anyone that can answer this question will be offered a place in the data analytics department in any top club in the world.

That is fair it is much harder in many sports to assess defence than offense but in the real world there are way more stats / models to measure the contribution of defenders. In FM to my knowledge there is only tackles and interceptions and maybe mistakes leading to goals. So I was curious as how you guys were picking up your defenders. 

Also it is still unclear what stats are even really contributing to basic stuff like tackles / marking / Interceptions 

13 hours ago, xavinwonderland said:

Second question is related to the important stats did someone do any tests as to what contributes to tackling for instance? Tackle / bravery and aggression are often mentionned but strength also plays a role. Is it better to have 20 strength and 10 elsewhere or 20 aggression and 10 elsewhere? 

For interceptions what would be the key parameters? Decision and positioning would be my guess but would someone have data? 

So there is a way to check this and there are cavities to this so first of all you need to be a nerd because you’ll have to export the stats from the game into some data analysis tool another thing is that you have to play with the same formation for a few seasons so you have enough data.

I’m going to link a playlist that covers a bit of this but there is a lot more you can do if you’re wiling to learn on your own.

Just now, xavinwonderland said:

Thanks this is super useful. I will dig into this when I'm back from holidays this is exactly the approach that I was looking for. I just hoped that someone had done the heavy lifting already 😁

43 minutes ago, DarJ said:

So there is a way to check this and there are cavities to this so first of all you need to be a nerd because you’ll have to export the stats from the game into some data analysis tool another thing is that you have to play with the same formation for a few seasons so you have enough data.

I’m going to link a playlist that covers a bit of this but there is a lot more you can do if you’re wiling to learn on your own.