South Korea budget setting time

This isn't a game breaker, but a bit of an annoyance and it made me miss out on a highly wanted transfer target...

In South Korea, being a summer league, the season seems to reset on Dec 27th. In my current save I'd just achieved promotion to K League 1 and was looking to strengthen my squad. However, I just retained my remaining transfer budget. I realised I wasn't set any expectations but I didn't really think too much of it. However, midway through the friendlies, around Feb 15th, when I had already spent my remaining meagre budget signing what I could to improve the squad, I only then got the message about board expectations and budget setting.

Annoyingly there was an exceptional player available but wanted by rival teams who I couldn't afford and he went to a rival. Then once the budget was set I would have then been able to afford him, but it was too late. 

So it seems to me there's a bug or feature issue here, as generally the board expectations get set at the start of the season just after the game has its annual reset. Has anyone else experienced this at all? This is FMM21, btw