How do you keep motivated in a save ?

Hello I m wish i could start a save without doubts beacause when I start a save (always in Portugal)  I keep motivated for a day or two but then I Start to see defects in everthing in my save.

And I want to know what keeps you motivated in a long term save

Sometimes you have to just put the game to one side for a while if you're not feeling it in my experience. FM21 is the one I've played least in a number of years, but I've not been feeling the kind of game FM is much this year. Certainly not over the last few months. Recently my time has been invested in Total War: Warhammer and I've not been able to find anything that fills the kind of void a game like the Witcher 3 fills. Some games are on the backburner until I upgrade my PC. Yet at the time Witcher 3 first came out, I got towards the end of the starting area lost interest and didn't go back until around 2018 when I started it fresh and put in about 150 hours.

But I go through phases of disinterest with all games, I've had Crusader Kings III since release date and this is my playtime so far:

6c2fd9e707699a38f0074321a96cefc2.png

I will play thousands of hours on this game over the next decade I expect, but the mood hasn't taken me yet but its a year down the line and I've racked up 5 hours. 

10 hours ago, FMFCP said:

Hello I m wish i could start a save without doubts beacause when I start a save (always in Portugal)  I keep motivated for a day or two but then I Start to see defects in everthing in my save.

And I want to know what keeps you motivated in a long term save

It depends how you like to play. Some people only like using real players so find the game boring after 5-6 seasons, others (like me) only really enjoy it once it's only newgens meaning the save doesn't really start until 10 seasons in!

I started my save unemployed with the aim to become one of the best managers in the game and then join the club I support at whatever level they are to 'rescue them'.

After one season at Skovde I was offered the Brommapojkarna job in Swedish 2nd division. I spent 23 seasons there while my mini-aim was to get as many great players through my youth system as possible. I had an amazing forward who wouldn't sign a contract and left of a free so that was my cue to leave so I went to Lyon. Only spent 2 seasons there but won Ligue 1 once before the Bristol City job came up in the Championship. Applied got it and have since led them to 7 straight prem titles in the 13 season I have been there. This is almost solely down to a newgen I have in AMC who scores 30 goals and assists 50 a season. A real freak of nature.

As my original aim is 'complete' I'm now seeing how well I can get this newgen to perform how many goals, assists and MoM he can get in his career.

I also have the aim to beat Frank Lampard in the Manager Hall of Fame after he won 20 League Titles...

I keep my game fresh by setting long term and short term targets. Once they are completed, I set more!

Edited by Grifty

I know exactly where you are coming from here.  I've started a number of saves in FM21 and really struggled to get into them as any number of things aren't right.  I tried to battle my way through a Liechtenstein Challenge save, but just kept running into bugs and have now moved to a journeyman type challenge and am actually really enjoying it.  As Grifty said above, targets for a save really help - in my case the journeyman challenge is the Weird Man one Jarhead put together (and Daljit is playing on YouTube), which has targets, but within that I can set myself targets as well and that helps me push through any bugs and stuff.  I think it's a case of trying to push through the things you see that aren't right - which tends to be harder at the start of a save.  Once you are into a save though, they tend not to bug you as much.  Last night, my team  scored a late winner and I was jumping around like I'd won the lottery - first time in a while playing FM, as for a couple of months I'd been using instant result.

I think many of us have been here. My way around it is to start unemployed and, once I get a job I never renew the contract. That way I have managed in countries I would never have gone to before & managed loads of different clubs.

The level of experience you select can be a big factor depending on how long you want the game to last and where you want to manage. I have had saves where I managed some of the biggest clubs in Europe and won all the trophies as an ex-international as well as having saves where I potter around the lower leagues as an ex-semi pro with limited success. All good fun, challenging and different in there own ways.

Id make a few long term goals, and a few short term goals. And try a new team.

You said you always play in Portugal; I suggest that you start lower down and win the league in 3-4 smaller nations before joining a team in Portugal 15-20 years into the future(with the same manager) at the "end of the save" instead. You could start in Wales or Ireland, win in Poland and Slovakia and perhaps win the Sweedish or Russian league too before you take on Portugal and win Champions league.. 

Expect to have bad seasons. And Id also avoid managing the top/best teams because its a bit boring when there is no challenge.

lower leagues is totally different but its interesting. i also make sure i never read any best player best coaches advice as i dont want to know. i trust my scounts and coaches even though they are really bad. mistakes keep the game interesting cos i have to keep fixing them.

9 hours ago, FMFCP said:

Maybe I should start in the lower leagues in portugal how about that? does it really makes the game more interesting ?

Dont stay in portugal. Many leagues have fun/challanging rules about selection and players. (Poland is very interesting).

Start in Bluefin Sport Championship as a sunday league manager. add N.Ireland, Wales, Scotland, Poland, Russia, Sweeden and Portugal.

Try and win every top division loaded with a single manager. Get a new job in the "next" nation once you have won. I think its fun. You can choose a different set of Nations if you want.

There are people who in real life do absolutely nothing if they are not 100% sure that they will gain something as a result of what they do. That 100% represents their motivation. And there are people who, although they are not sure they will win anything, want to try. That desire to try is their motivation. Any answer or suggestion depends strictly on the category you belong to. In the first case, even the fact somebody knows he/she/whatever plays strictly to win has as effect (over time) reducing the interest in a new save. After all, repetitive actions (even successes) are boring for humans
In the second case, it depends on the level of interest in something new. Some people avoid the "new" and want to stay strictly in a context they know. Others are more willing to experiment. The first category gets bored quickly exactly for that reason I stated above (repetitive actions, there a very limited number of challenges because of limited context). The second category can find an exact incentive in the fact they periodically try to position itself in an different context. I hope that you are part of the last category, because otherwise, the only option you have is to wait until FM22 is released.

When I start saves late in the real life season I kinda want to replicate some results. 

Back when Leicester won the league, whatever I did, I always tried to ensure that they'd win it on my save as well. 

When you compound this for several competitions that have no direct effect to your save it becomes a full time job, so you either love it or just stop caring about all that. 

For me, it's always a trigger to get past the first season as I tend to struggle to go past the first pre-season with new (random) clubs, so this kinda pushes me into advancing the save until the end of the season. By then, I get some attachment to the team I manage and eventually I stop caring about real life results. 

For fm11, it's Atletico, Lille and Inter winning their league for example. Talk about a struggle to finish off a season :D

If I still don't care much about my own team, I'll abandon the save. Otherwise, I can go on for a decade at least. 

But putting so much effort for no apparent reason makes me less likely to abandon a save. So I also add some other side challenges, such as an African team winning the World Cup or a minnow winning the Champions League etc. 

Edited by Yuko

You don't, if you're not enjoying a game you either take a break from it or stop playing, imo it's not worth forcing yourself to play cause it will just make it worse, you should either take a break (2 weeks? or even 2 months whatever necessary) or just quit and maybe buy the next FM or try different games.

When I wasn't enjoying FM this year I took a break for nearly 3 weeks and when I played it again I played 1 save for 10 seasons which is the highest for me.

Firstly, it's my world! I hate the 1st season because I get annoyed if it differs too much from reality. But after the 1st season everything in the game is completely my game world, it's separate from what happens in real life football and I love that.

But also things like the UCL give me motivation. Obviously wanting to win it in the game (took me 5 attempts to finally win it with Bayern in my save!) but also just watching the real UCL and seeing history being made makes me want to continue my save and see my own UCL history be made.