Star signing playing horribly

I dont understand how my record signing who was the best player for the Bundesliga champions can become the worst player of my Arsenal team. Tried playing him both as an inverted winger and an inside forward, but he is consistently the worst player on the field. I was thinking he might just have bad adaptability but after almost an entire season I am beginning to believe it will never get better. Can it be he just has a complete offseason? He is after all still rated as a leading premier league player. Does such a thing happen? 

Screen Shot 2021-08-22 at 11.43.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-22 at 11.45.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-22 at 11.46.41 PM.png

To be honest, his attributes don’t scream to me top player, especially for that amount of money. He might make a serviceable rotation player or an advanced forward bit in my opinion you’ve over paid there.

Yeah, he looks like a player who'll average 6.76 over the course of a Premier League season at a good club. 

His best Technical attributes are Crossing, Dribbling, Shooting and Passing, and none of those are what you'd want them to be for his position and role (I'd want two of those to be 15 or more).

I can't explain his Hertha/Spain form, mind you.

Posting a picture of his report would help as well, see what your staff have to say about him. 

A player with his first touch, technique, decisions, anticipation & composure I'd just want him getting forward and putting it into the box so I'd probably switch him to AMR. 

His speed would help him break the defensive lines quite quickly, and then putting it back into the middle quickly whether with a pass or a cross would create more chances than wanting him to cut inside from the left, particularly with that PPM.

I would also add concerns to attribute concentration which is low for a world class league. ”Concentration. This attribute shows the amount of time a player can remain concentrated on the game. When this attribute is poor it's going to reduce the effectiveness of the player later on in the match and can add to the odds of him doing errors."

Rating doesn't of course tell everythingHe tries to dribble a lot and because of this he will also lose the ball more often. Also it's connected how much he can get the ball from CM's (Prefferred leg of CM?). Team success also affects his rating. Ratings of earlier teams are from full detailed leagues?

Edited by Pasonen

No his attributes are not the best, but ability does affect attributes and he clearly has a high potential ability. It just doesnt make sense that he can play brilliantly for Spain and Hertha but literally be the worst player in my team. As you can see has had a very good progression for Hertha and was clearly the best player for them his last season.

Some points: He also has cut inside from left as PPM. He was placed on AML for both Hertha and Spain. 

The only thing I can think of is that I possibly announced that the price tag doesnt necessarily but extra pressure on the player during the introduction press conference.... I know I sometimes do that. But I have also warned him quite a few times that he has to step up his game if he wants to keep his place.

I have experienced before that players can have a season dip and then come back. But this is my record signing I though would take us to the next level but he is not even an average player for the team.

Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 6.32.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 6.32.10 PM.png

Define "playing horribly"?  (Don't say "his rating" because ratings are something of a dark art, I mean actually on the pitch).  Do his passes constantly go astray?  Does he never track back?  Does he not find pockets of space when you're attacking?  Does he not contribute to the team effort?  Are you getting poor results?

And then what is it you expect from the player?  More goals and assists?  Is your team still scoring well regardless?

Even just going by those ratings, there's nothing "horrible" about them, they're above average.  So what exactly is he not doing that you want him to do?  If it's more goals and assists then your issue is more than likely tactical.  There is nothing wrong with his attributes or his ability to settle in a new country, so the issue is unlikely player related.  He should be fine playing in various positions and roles, from an Inside Forward to an Advanced Forward and several in between, but as you have tried him in various roles then the problem is more likely to be the rest of your set up, especially the other players and their given roles around him.

TL;DR he's probably a bit of a square peg in a round hole and you may need to make some tactical tweaks to those around him, not just him.  Just don't muck up the rest of your team if you do :D.

5 hours ago, coppicat said:

who was the best player for the Bundesliga champions

He could not be the best player in Bundesliga. He played a lot of games, but Germany's champion team scores a lot of goals every season (70, 80, maybe even 90). Players of such a team provide 50-60 or even more assists in the 34 rounds. Your boy plays as AML with an IF or IW role, so he should have been a very good scorer and / or passer. Your man scored 37 goals (pretty good for an AML) ... but only provided 22 assists during all 3 seasons. He was not even the best player for Hertha, and by no means was "the best player in Bundesliga". He was just a very good player, yes, but whose rating was significantly increased by the fact he played in the same team with many other very good players, and that team won the championship. Why does he play poorly? Well, he's "resolute," which means his "pressure" attribute isn't very good at all. He could one day become one of the best player at Arsenal, but for now he is just a player with a high potential who needs to be helped to integrate into your team. He can't be a key player, he wasn't a key player at Hertha either. He needs good players around him to help him play what he knows. Unfortunately, you paid too much for him ... at least for now.
One more thing: the multitude of traits with which he was endowed can create big troubles for him. If he is given instructions contrary to these far too many and too restrictive traits, it's very possible that poor boy will not know what to do on the pitch.

Hmm... those stats are not what I would look for in a player. He is a speed merchant, but not much more. He is not a great finisher, not a great passer, not a great crosser, not much teamwork (a seriously underrated attribute for attacking combinations). This is not a player I would pay that sum for myself.

Thinking about it, me might actually be most suited to the role of Advanced Forward for me. The speed, technique, first touch and off the ball should allow him to run through on the counter a lot if he gets enough balls played through. Even with a bit poor finishing for that role, I think he could do well there.

He reminds me of my current striker who I play in that role. Not exactly the same, but close enough. (I've tried for years to remove his "comes deep" trait, but it still works good).

8ggPUfW.png

His last two seasons has been great:

3V7o3IE.png

So perhaps that role could work for him?

I dont really understand the comments about him not being good enough. 30 matches, 14 goals, 9 assists and 8 POM. Highest average rating two last years, most POM two years running and top league goal scorer last season. And he has been improving every single year. On top of that 10 goals in 19 games for Spain. Always playing AML for both Hertha and Spain. I am not saying I expect him to be the best player in the World, but going from there to rock bottom is not natural.

You just have to disregard all that cause it takes more to play in the premier league and its natural for him to be the worst player in your team now? 

Just now, coppicat said:

I dont really understand the comments about him not being good enough. 30 matches, 14 goals, 9 assists and 8 POM. Highest average rating two last years, most POM two years running and top league goal scorer last season. And he has been improving every single year. On top of that 10 goals in 19 games for Spain. Always playing AML for both Hertha and Spain. I am not saying I expect him to be the best player in the World, but going from there to rock bottom is not natural.

You just have to disregard all that cause it takes more to play in the premier league and its natural for him to be the worst player in your team now? 

We are not saying he is bad, but perhaps he played as a striker at his former club. Or perhaps his role was completely different (as well as the tactic in general). If you want another example, see Wijnaldum for Liverpool vs Wijnaldum for Holland. Same player, but looking at goal/assist/chance output it's completely different due to different roles. He is not a bad player, I'd say he isn't worth anything near what he cost, but you need to take advantage of what he CAN do, not expect him to do what he CAN'T. He is quick, but can't cross very well, nor dribble. His passing is subpar, and his finishing is only acceptable. That's why I suggested a AF role, perhaps next to a more creative striker who can give him opportunities to use his best skill, his speed and first touch. He is a player who loves a counter, so in order to let him use that skill, you need to make sure it happens.

1 minute ago, XaW said:

We are not saying he is bad, but perhaps he played as a striker at his former club. Or perhaps his role was completely different (as well as the tactic in general). If you want another example, see Wijnaldum for Liverpool vs Wijnaldum for Holland. Same player, but looking at goal/assist/chance output it's completely different due to different roles. He is not a bad player, I'd say he isn't worth anything near what he cost, but you need to take advantage of what he CAN do, not expect him to do what he CAN'T. He is quick, but can't cross very well, nor dribble. His passing is subpar, and his finishing is only acceptable. That's why I suggested a AF role, perhaps next to a more creative striker who can give him opportunities to use his best skill, his speed and first touch. He is a player who loves a counter, so in order to let him use that skill, you need to make sure it happens.

No he always played AML, scouted him for quite a while. Dont expect him to be any creative force, but be the quick threat cutting in from left wing. Guess I just have to be patient and see if he doesnt settle in eventually. His previous performances for Spain and Hertha justify more than what he is doing now.  

Much like @XaW I have a player who is simlar to yours in my current team but like his report says, he is fringe/squad player (ability-wise) but because of my formation and tactics he fits perfectly and produces.  Don't take your scouts reports as gospel, you need to make sure each play you sign has/or will have the skill-set you need. If someone offered me the money you offered for your player, I would snap their hands off. 

Screenshot 2021-08-23 at 16.26.14.png

1 hour ago, coppicat said:

No he always played AML, scouted him for quite a while. Dont expect him to be any creative force, but be the quick threat cutting in from left wing. Guess I just have to be patient and see if he doesnt settle in eventually. His previous performances for Spain and Hertha justify more than what he is doing now.  

Yuo do realise his PPM is cuts in from the right hand side.

Is the Bundesliga even simulated in "full detail"? Because if it isn't, the simple answer is because his Arsenal average ratings were calculated by the full match engine and the Hertha ones by a completely different algorithm that's heavily based on CA rather than tactical usefulness.

Either way, different tactics for a different team in a different league are going to produce different results, and its far from certain that the low average rating actually matters. Or as @herne79 says, is there something you actually want him to do that he's not doing, or are you too fixated on a number that's governed mostly by if he directly contributes to a goal or not.

He looks great for breaking or receiving the ball with his first touch but he looks very average in every other way.  This type of player is a star man for underdog teams where you spend most of the game with the ball in your own half, you get more out of his stats when he has space to run. If you're a dominant side and there's no break options he's a 13 stat player. If he has space to grow and can up another important stat to 15/16 instead of 13 he'll probably be great. Focus on his individual training and see how it goes! :)

On 23/08/2021 at 16:27, coppicat said:

Of course, but look at entire in context : his team scored 70-80 goals (and offered, overall, at least 50 assists). But he only offered 9 out of at least 50. What does that mean? There are players who create spaces for others and who offer many good passes ... and there are players who (mainly) take advantage of their teammates' spaces and passes. Your man was in the second category at Hertha. His teammates helped him a lot. How else do you think a player who doesn't have a very good "pressure" attribute was able to play so well ? This player must first be very well integrated into your team (hierarchy, dressing room, relations with his teammates). After that he'll play much better.

His PPMS - which he might be able to lose - aren't that helpful either.

Right footed pacy left winger with a combination of "runs with ball down left" and "avoids using weaker foot" sounds a lot like someone who will accelerate past his defender to the byline, then check back inside to cross off his stronger foot (giving the defender time to recover and block the cross) 

And his passing attribute isn't ideal for "Tries Killer Balls often" at elite level although it probably works a lot better when opponents play high lines against you than when they sit deep..,

Hard disagree with the takes on the player here. He looks magnificient in my eyes. Great physicals, great mentals (that decision on a winger!), a bit let down by technicals but even here with first touch and technique as real highlights. I think it happens a lot that players in FM need time to adjust to a new league. And yeah, i've had players only really come to shine in their second season, particularly wingers.

I would note that as he has a full light green circles in three positions he possibly looks a bit worse statswise than he actually is, as this will swallow up a bit of his CA. His technicals do look a bit on the weak side however.

£110m looks an overinflated fee for the player that he is, though he did smash it up in his last couple of seasons at Hertha. Guessing his PA reports persuaded the OP to push the boat out as personally I tend overspend a bit on potential.

Give him another season, he might still come good yet. He's done ok in the CL and internationally so probably has a low adaptability rating is all.

He’s a striker, that’s why. His best as technical is finishing, not counting first touch because it’s more of an every situation thing than passing, dribbling, and crossing. He has the mental profile of a striker with ~CL levels all around and it’ll limit the impact of his low teamwork and concentration. He’s got great acceleration and agility to get in behind, and good first touch receive those balls. The technique combined with solid mentals should make his 13 in finishing punch higher than you’d except, and with the right PPM’s like tries first time shots and knocks ball past opponent he could be a quality AF. If you play a 2 striker system with him on the right side he’ll find himself in the channel pretty often and be able to use his decent non finishing technicals to get to the byline and cross to your other striker. I have Muokoko doing that in my RB Leipzig save and he’s producing a lot of quality chances for me.

As others mentioned above, his stats aren't a super star's. Yet, does he speak English (if not, did you give him language classes). As importantly, it may take a season for a player to gel with the team. Also, take a look on social groups to see if he's geling or not. Good luck.

This is actually quite real life. A lot of teams record buy IRL flop at their new club.

spurs - ndombele

arsenal - Pepe 

Man U - pogba….certainly flopped first few seasons

city - Kane..oooooops

chelsea - Torres 

everton - sigurdsson

It happens a huge amount of time. IRL it’s generally better to be the mid price signing with little pressure. It’s only the real elite few players who cope with record price tags as they have no doubts in their abilities 

What was he playing against in Germany though? I see he won 3 Bundesliga titles in a row and a Europa League. That would suggest that Hertha only finished 3rd in the UCL and despite bossing German football aren't one of the best teams in Europe. Maybe the average level of the Bundesliga has declined a fair bit. You see players doing ridiculously well in weaker leagues (particularly the Eredivisie) who are then unable to live up to that in a stronger league. That could be the case here.

Similar for Spain. If it was during a Nations League period, then those are impressive stats. If it's during World Cup qualifying where Spain would play mostly weaker teams and ending with a 100% record wouldn't be much of a surprise, then lots of players could get those stats, they don't need to be fantastic, just above average.

He looks pretty rubbish to me. 

I think you failed to realise that 

A German league isn't as good as prem

B how the matches are simulated can affect player performance  (view only leagues dont fast track results through the ME)

But congratulations you've signed pepe 2.0 :D

110 mil! what was you thinking? The lad cant pass, shoot, dribble or cross even his off the ball ain't that that good. who scouted him? the scout needs to be replaced .  

Are there more add ons too? :D

I'd send him on loan then sell him later down the line, cut your losses

• 2 weeks later...

He did have a better 2nd season, where he did reach the label world class. ( I have read that ability compensates weak attributes, so thats why I would take a chance on him. Also when I took over Arsenal not many players were that interested and I just needed an instant improvement ... NOT)

Most of his goals were headers and I do believe he he must be the player that has squandered the most shooting chances ever since I began playing the flawed FM20 version. I retrained him to not run down left and and now hoping that placing shots will decrease the number of clear cut chances he misses. Having said that Real Madrid is interested and if they offer like 80MM he is gone in an instant. :-)

Unfortunately I need to loo into a center back starter and a left back reserve before I can look into replacing him as starter. Lets see, the transfer window just opened.     

Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 10.58.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 11.02.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 11.03.29 PM.png