Why do so few people use "less urgent" pressing

First a bit of an admission.

Im too busy to do a full post about this...but I will do at some point. 

Second, in all my years playing FM (and there have been a lot) this is my first time using "less urgent" pressing.

And I doubt I'm alone.

A quick scan around these forums doesn't reveal many others turning to this instruction either.

---

Obviously the fashionable thing at the moment is to press, press, press. Both IRL and on FM. I'd also say it's easier to get a high press working in FM than any other defensive system.

However it's not the only way to defend. In fact the age old "2 banks of 4" is just as popular and just as effective today as it's always been. And on any premier league weekend you see plenty of teams dropping into shape, or employing some kind of hybrid initial press before dropping into shape.

There are some excellent posts on this forum that look at creating that shape using roles and duties. But one thing no one ever seems to address is their pressing. But why?

I get it's not exactly sexy, but less urgent pressing makes your team stay in a compact shape. I think the in game description even mentions this.

As a result it's possibly the one TI that could help achieve what a lot of people are looking for, which is a compact block that drops into shape and waits for the opposition to make a mistake.

---

As I say Im rather lazily not adding screen grabs and info here, though I can do of there's interest. But I thought I'd describe my experiences of using this with my third season Villa team.

Im currently playing a deep 4231 inspired by one of Cleon's old threads, but like Villa IRL I wanted to create a tactic that pressed a bit then dropped into a nice compact mid block. 

After much hair pulling frustration I chose the less urgent pressing option and it has been transformative. We now drop into shape and make it incredibly hard for the opposition to play through us.

What I see onscreen is the action is often dropped to walking pace as there is simply no room for the opposition to find. So instead they commit more and more numbers forward and eventually make a mistake that we can pounce upon and counter at pace. In fact it's produced some of the best counters I've been able to generate in fm21.

It's not pretty to look at mind you, I mean you're basically gifting the opposition the ball so they will knock it around with ease. But as long as it's in front of your block, who cares?

---

Of course just dropping into a block isn't a plan on its own, you need to know how to defend once you're there. I've found hard tackling useful and sometimes even a higher line to condense things (though that can lead to balls over the top) most useful however has been pressing instructions for my front 4 to close down more.

I find this creates a true split block as everyone drops into shape but then the front 4 will press a bit more, leading to turnovers in dangerous areas and ultimately counter opportunities.

---

It's only been 10 games since I've started using this but it's been wildly successful so far so I wanted to plant the seed with the tactics community and see if anyone else has had any experience of it?

If nothing more I'd say give it a try if you're trying to develop a stubborn counter attacking team. 

As I say I might drop some screenshots and examples into this over the weekend if I can but for now I'd say go and experiment with this shout, because so far, it's been a game changer for me. 

I'd appreciate screenies & more info if you find the time @TheGhostofPaulLambert

I've never used anything less than standard pressing, in my 4-4-2 save, they're all standard on Balanced mentality with a Pressing Forward but that's about as less urgent I've ever gone

Is this something you've used against a team where you're expected to win big? I imagine they'd have the time to just pass it along the backline for 90 minutes :D 

I like it as a seeing out the game scenario though, when 1-0 up against a team wanting to equalise instead or carrying on trying to press the life out of them, ease of a bit & keep in shape  

Edited by Johnny Ace

I’ve never used “less urgent” pressing as a team instruction but I use it as player instructions sometimes especially on center backs and I agree tha when you do this you must also ask the team or player to tackle hard and it has worked for me

6 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

I'd appreciate screenies & more info if you find the time @TheGhostofPaulLambert

I've never used anything less than standard pressing, in my 4-4-2 save, they're all standard on Balanced mentality with a Pressing Forward but that's about as less urgent I've ever gone

Is this something you've used against a team where you're expected to win big? I imagine they'd have the time to just pass it along the backline for 90 minutes :D 

I like it as a seeing out the game scenario though, when 1-0 up against a team wanting to equalise instead or carrying on trying to press the life out of them, ease of a bit & keep in shape  

I'll try and get some done over the weekend I've used it for both big and little teams alike.

Beat Juventus in the Champions league with the current Villa XI with it. Then went and beat bottom of table palace with it days later. True it's harder against smaller teams. But it's not like they don't attack at all. And if you still have a tactic that provides route to goal you should score. Though admittedly those have been my hardest games and it's where I've put the Dline up.

Im playing on Balanced BTW. Give it a try with a split press. You might like it!

1 minute ago, TheGhostofPaulLambert said:

I'll try and get some done over the weekend I've used it for both big and little teams alike.

Beat Juventus in the Champions league with the current Villa XI with it. Then went and beat bottom of table palace with it days later. True it's harder against smaller teams. But it's not like they don't attack at all. And if you still have a tactic that provides route to goal you should score. Though admittedly those have been my hardest games and it's where I've put the Dline up.

Im playing on Balanced BTW. Give it a try with a split press. You might like it!

Sounds very promising & a great way to play. I guess, like any tactic, it's about balance, having enough defensive stability while offering enough threat. 

This could be what my 4-1-4-1 needs! I've managed to (finally) incorporate a lone poacher in that tactic, but defensively it could be better. 

In earlier attemps to make my team defensively more solid, i lowered the pressing from "more urgent" to "standard". Less urgent pressing could potentially be the key to my tactic. Thanks for opening my eyes!

On 20/08/2021 at 01:12, TheGhostofPaulLambert said:

--

Of course just dropping into a block isn't a plan on its own, you need to know how to defend once you're there. I've found hard tackling useful and sometimes even a higher line to condense things (though that can lead to balls over the top) most useful however has been pressing instructions for my front 4 to close down more.

I find this creates a true split block as everyone drops into shape but then the front 4 will press a bit more, leading to turnovers in dangerous areas and ultimately counter opportunities.

---

It's only been 10 games since I've started using this but it's been wildly successful so far so I wanted to plant the seed with the tactics community and see if anyone else has had any experience of it?

Good post.  Note that the 'Pressing Intensity' TI applies to how intensely your "players are asked to press the opposition once they have passed the LOE" and does not affect how your LOE presses.  The TI on the 'In Transition' tab; 'When Possession Has Been Lost' instructs your LOE players. 

I have used it in stretches of games, especially if my team has a lead over (or even is equal with) superior opposition, my wide players are getting burned by opposition wingers, or my team is tired.  Also if I have to put an inferior defender in. 

Lower pressing is useful if your team has widely varying abilities to press, because the TI affects all your players.  For example, if you press at all with fullbacks who are slow-ish and have mediocre agg/ant/bra, they will get smoked by inverted wingers with high acc/agi/dri/flair:  one strategy is to use the 'Less Urgent' TI and put the OI 'Show Onto Weaker Foot' on the inverted wingers but that can backfire too.  If you have one good pressing/tackling DM/CM, you can have the team press less urgently and put him on BWM.

One downside is that because the less-pressed opposition player has more time to look around, he might find it easier to make crosses or spot midfield runners, etc.  @TheGhostofPaulLambert do you think that it works better against players who look to run at defense as opposed to teams who want to play a slow possession game anyway?

6 hours ago, glengarry224 said:

One downside is that because the less-pressed opposition player has more time to look around, he might find it easier to make crosses or spot midfield runners, etc.  @TheGhostofPaulLambert do you think that it works better against players who look to run at defense as opposed to teams who want to play a slow possession game anyway?

Or you can use it as a defensive strategy through OI so that more dangerous players are always marked by not leaving positions to press and players that are less talented with the ball given time and space with the ball to make bad decisions or passes with it.

Accept that there will always be gaps in the defense and choosing the lesser evil by limiting its impact.

Edited by zyfon5