Has anyone managed to develop a no hoper into something successful?

This may already be a thread within the community but i’m very lazy and a little but drunk so thought i’d ask fresh. I was interested to know whether anyone had any tales of youth players coming to their club as 16 year olds who were pretty much no hopers when you got them who then went on to become successful? The way I play, I don’t normally have the time for a well developed youth player (i’m a bit like Mourinho you see lol) so never seem to make something out of nothing. Not really asking for tips as i have been playing for years and know most of the ins and outs of the game, just generally interested in seeing what others had managed to achieve with a poor batch

I suppose it depends what you consider to be a no-hoper because some just aren't worth the time investing to try and turn around. In terms of players that come through the academy and are deemed below par by the staff? I've had a lot of success with these players. In one instance a particularly average midfielder ended up commanding a £60m fee from Valencia because injuries and selling other players in the same position (and failing to replace them) forced me to use him for the majority of the season and performed exceptionally. I knew based on his personality and general attributes he wasn't likely to sustain it so took the offer. 5 years later he got released by Valencia on a free because no one would pick him up on his wages. I re-signed him on a free because he was home grown at the club, had another good season out of him and sold him for somewhere in the region of £40m again. 

That's the runaway success story. However, I'll have a lot of academy players who maybe by age 25 will rack up anywhere between 50 - 100 appearances and be sold on for tidy sums to other top flight teams. 

Depends what you mean by "no hoper" as most players start off looking rubbish, most players seriously underestimate how good a 3* player actually is, and there's a pretty big margin for error in what staff think.

The Youth Challenge thread is a good place to look at what players who have no choice but to develop unremarkable youngsters can do

Not really. I usually release all poor (youth and adult) players (less than 2 stars) as deadwood, and only hire 4-star-plus-potential youth.

Edited by phd_angel

4 hours ago, phd_angel said:

Not really. I usually release all poor (youth and adult) players (less than 2 stars) as deadwood, and only hire 4-star-plus-potential youth.

You are missing out on o9ads of potentially good players

I've got Lewwis Spence playing for my Hornchurch side atm and he is rated 1.5 stars at 33 years old and is my top pass completionist and assister. Time an again it needs saying that star ratings mean not much. If a player performs in your system then he should stay.

2 hours ago, Wavelberry said:

I've got Lewwis Spence playing for my Hornchurch side atm and he is rated 1.5 stars at 33 years old and is my top pass completionist and assister. Time an again it needs saying that star ratings mean not much. If a player performs in your system then he should stay.

This is why the star system has to go.  I'll admit its made me lazy

Le 18/08/2021 à 11:39, Platinum a dit :

You are missing out on o9ads of potentially good players

It depends. Stars are not absolutes. A 2 star player for Liverpool might get 3 or 4 stars on a Championship side. So if you manage a 2nd or 3rd division side, 2-3 stars players are really unlikely to become usable, because by the time you finish developing them you'll probably have signed or developped way better players.

On a top side though, a 3 star player is actually a very good one. Think Pjanic at Barca for example.

From the academy: A striker who had some of the worst stats of his year. All he had going was a 15 in Flair, a 19 in Determination and average speed. Most other attributes? I was lucky if I saw a random six in there! Not to mention a mere two star potential in an average team. But I lacked strikers in my reserve team and what he lacked in attributes he had in hidden stats -- Model Citizen from the beginning and consistency/big matches? He didn't look like a star in the making but a good hand for the lower leagues and a mentor to better youths.

Let's just say that a 2 in Jumping Reach and Heading really depresses the CA. At 19 he was my starting F9 because he just had a phenomenal spread with still some room to grow. Currently I am trying to get him to get better at set pieces as he is wasted as a target player. I am looking forward for him to mentor my next generation of players!

Existing players: Diawusie from Dresden. He has the potential to be a decent player for Bundesliga teams playing against relegation. He starts as a good 3rd League player. But in his first season in the third league he scored more than 1 goal/game (without being the penalty taker) and led me to my first legit invincible season. In the second league where he should have been over his level, he did the same. 18 goals in 18 games and this time also scoring in the cup. Unfortunately Leverkusen made me an offer I couldn't refuse during the winter. Now he is at 7 goals at 8 games in the Bundesliga. No idea where he is getting this from as nominally better players fail to reach the same level. He was plenty of fun to train and play, though.

Edited by Piperita

While managing Caerau Ely, my striker got a long term injury. I asked the DoF for a replacement and signed him without a trial or scout. He played his first competitive match for us at the agr of ~23. And scored 5 goals in a single league match once. 

He ended up Getting a PAIR of Golden boots in a single season. 

CMlws88.png

Zyu1Eaw.png

I like to focus on achivements/performance instead of attributtes or CA.

On 22/08/2021 at 15:07, Piperita said:

Existing players: Diawusie from Dresden. He has the potential to be a decent player for Bundesliga teams playing against relegation. He starts as a good 3rd League player. But in his first season in the third league he scored more than 1 goal/game (without being the penalty taker) and led me to my first legit invincible season. In the second league where he should have been over his level, he did the same. 18 goals in 18 games and this time also scoring in the cup. Unfortunately Leverkusen made me an offer I couldn't refuse during the winter. Now he is at 7 goals at 8 games in the Bundesliga. No idea where he is getting this from as nominally better players fail to reach the same level. He was plenty of fun to train and play, though.

Sounds like Okyere Wriedt in FM19 for me. Signed him in the 3. Liga which he was too good for and he top scored as expected. Top scored again in 2 Bundesliga, which he wasn't too good for. He was supposed to be backup for my first Bundesliga season because he really wasn't Bundesliga standard at all on paper, but I gave him starts because he complained and he got more goals per 90 than anyone else that season, including the likes of Lewandowski and Werner and finished with 17 again.

No idea why. His attributes didn't improve at all, his CA was around the 110 mark (which most people seem to consider the "no hoper" bracket for a player in a top league) and he was just a nicely rounded player with lots of 12s; nothing about his physique to worry Bundesliga defenders and far from my most clinical finisher, only Fairly Consistent and average personality traits. His strike partner was much better but didn't outscore him from a lot more starts

I had to dive back through my post history to find the best example I could of a "no hoper" making it in one of my teams. 

74437c70237dc964198a42b1c067611d.png

He played for around 60 minutes in the heart of midfield in my Champions League final as part of the winning side.

I stopped playing it after winning this CL final, don't think I won the PL title during it (it was only a 4 season save) this 90 something CA player was a PL squad member and Champions League winner.