*Suggestion* Hiring/firing the manager

lamp

Another thought!

I'd like a game mode that is club-centric rather than career-centric around a fictional coach profile of your own making (which has its own place, for sure). But rather than build a good save and then dominate [whatever league] every single year in perpetuity (you'd be fired if not) I would like the idea of taking a club I'm a fan of through the highs and lows, firing their manager when it's not working out and replacing them with real -- or created, if you like -- candidates (who might have transfer requests, formation restrictions, the like).

This would be another way of allowing the game to model things realistically, because there is nothing realistic about monotonically marching towards the perpetual dominance required to not get fired in a long career. And it would translate a natural part of the fan experience to the game: deciding when the manager stays or goes. Think this would add a rich layer to the game.

By comparison, hiring/firing backroom staff is totally uninteresting. Not only is it just a bit of a chore, it's trivial. There is no such thing as getting a coach or a GM or a physio that doesn't work out, there's only upgrading and extending and finding ones with better ratings. Every single backroom/scout/medical staff could get taken out of the game and I'd barely miss it. On the other hand, keep a few: chief scout, GM, technical director, these kind of things -- and give them more sway over how a team is run, what players it has access to, so that sometimes even ones with good ratings need to be let go in order to change things up.

Edited by lamp

• SI Staff
Appreciate the suggestion and it's one we've had raised in the community before. We've always maintained that our priority with the game is making a simulation for being a Football Manager which this would sit outside of. Until we decide to change away from that idea, it's unlikely something like this will appear in game. But as with everything, never say never!