Need some feedback on my tactic

Hi!

I'm still trying to master the tactic-aspect of FM, and would love some thoughts and suggestions for improvements I can make to my latest tactic on FM20.

I'm playing with Fredrikstad FK in Norways top division Eliteserien (took them up from Norwegian 3. division back-to-back). 

This is my first season up, and I am currently battling for top 4 finish, despite being predicted 14th.

My goal is to play possesion-based positive football, with pretty high intensity pressing, and I feel the tactic deliver on my vision.

My problem now is that my striker, and team in general, won't score goals. In addition, many of my assists and chances are from crosses - and my striker has poor heading atts. 

I have also experimented with the roles of my midfielders. Can't quite deside which one of them is doing better. 

Right now I have opted for generic CM-roles with simple PI's - more direct passing and take more risks for my CM(S), and move into channels for my CM(A).

I also use tighter marking and more urgent pressing PI's on my CM's and AF. 

Have also experimented with positive and aggressive mentalities - unsure which is best here too.

All feedback/constructive critic would be warmly welcomed! :-)

Skjermbilde 2021-08-01 kl. 10.33.11.png

Edited by sigurd2resen

In general an AF doesn't work well in the formation you are using when playing possession football as he tends to get isolated from the midfield, doesn't contribute to the build up and doesn't get much in the way of chances.  If your player is good enough then I'd suggest trying a CF-a role or DLF-a as these roles will attack the box and put pressure on the defence but will also contribute to the build up and not get quite so far away from the midfield.  Alternatively, you could switch to a support striker or a Treq if you have the player.

1 minute ago, WhyMe said:

In general an AF doesn't work well in the formation you are using when playing possession football as he tends to get isolated from the midfield, doesn't contribute to the build up and doesn't get much in the way of chances.  If your player is good enough then I'd suggest trying a CF-a role or DLF-a as these roles will attack the box and put pressure on the defence but will also contribute to the build up and not get quite so far away from the midfield.  Alternatively, you could switch to a support striker or a Treq if you have the player.

Good tip! Have noticed that he often get's to isolated. Experienced with him in a PF(A) role, but will for sure try this. Thanks!

1 minute ago, WhyMe said:

In general an AF doesn't work well in the formation you are using when playing possession football as he tends to get isolated from the midfield, doesn't contribute to the build up and doesn't get much in the way of chances.

I'll have to disagree with this.

He's not scoring goals because you've got short passing on and most of the team will play it short except for the IW maybe and wingback. If you change the CM-S to an AP or you tell the CM-S to play more direct passes the AF will get more chances

1 minute ago, DarJ said:

He's not scoring goals because you've got short passing on and most of the team will play it short except for the IW maybe and wingback. If you change the CM-S to an AP or you tell the CM-S to play more direct passes the AF will get more chances

That is what I meant by playing possession football (i.e. short passes)

2 minutes ago, WhyMe said:

That is what I meant by playing possession football (i.e. short passes)

You can't play short passes for an entire game though, there are moments in the game where you have to go direct unless your team is much better than the rest 

4 minutes ago, DarJ said:

I have already set my CM(s) to pass more directly and take more risks - problem is my AF was not good enough to be so isolated, even though he got some chances. 
Will try to change my CM(A) to a b2b instead - good tip! 

4 minutes ago, DarJ said:

You can't play short passes for an entire game though, there are moments in the game where you have to go direct unless your team is much better than the rest 

My team is not the best in the league for passing nor much better than the rest. I am enjoying the most possesion in the league and the best passing accuracy though.

Do you think I should change passing directness to standard?

1118292540_Skjermbilde2021-08-01kl_11_40_44.png.afd45b834a0019359ecdeb8804f6e404.png

Edited by sigurd2resen

2 minutes ago, sigurd2resen said:

Do you think I should change passing directness to standard?

Not necessarily, short passing is okay.

Look at the player traits too to see if anything funny is going on