Sorting regional divisions based on longitude and latitude

Boofhead54

G'day,

I was wondering if I can organise regional divisions based on the longitude and latitude of a clubs stadium

For example:

Lets say that two clubs from the top division are and placed into two regional divisions (east and west) and two teams are promoted into each division (total of four between the 2 divisions). Is there the ability in the advance editor so that the league is reorganised so that clubs are sorted in the regional divisions based on the precise location of the clubs' stadium?

Any help and recommendations would be helpful.

Maybe somebody knows a more efficient way to do it, as I'm pretty new to the advanced editor, but I've done it manually using latitude and longitude searches.

For example, if I have 40 teams that I want to break into north/south divisions, I move all the teams into one division and then do a club search of that division to bring up all teams.

Now, let's say most are somewhere between 51 and 54 latitude, which I can tell from looking at a map. (Google Maps will allow it. Right click on any map point.) I'll add a field to the search for latitude, enter at least a numerical entry for the latitude, and then change my numerical entry until I get a 50-50 split. At 53 latitude, maybe I'll get 25 teams. So I'll change it to 52.9. I'm down to 24 teams. 52.8 brings me to 23 teams. And so on. Maybe at 52.5 I'll get 20 teams, and there's my split. 

Based on that, I should get a decent idea of where I should put a border, so then I'll look at a map, identify a city that makes a good boundary point, and put it as a division boundary (north or south). Alternately, you can do a city search and use the latitude function the same way. 

I've done the same with longitude and east/west borders. The principle is the same. 

I hope that helps. Good luck!

Edited by AQ

20 hours ago, AQ said:

Maybe somebody knows a more efficient way to do it, as I'm pretty new to the advanced editor, but I've done it manually using latitude and longitude searches.

For example, if I have 40 teams that I want to break into north/south divisions, I move all the teams into one division and then do a club search of that division to bring up all teams.

Now, let's say most are somewhere between 51 and 54 latitude, which I can tell from looking at a map. (Google Maps will allow it. Right click on any map point.) I'll add a field to the search for latitude, enter at least a numerical entry for the latitude, and then change my numerical entry until I get a 50-50 split. At 53 latitude, maybe I'll get 25 teams. So I'll change it to 52.9. I'm down to 24 teams. 52.8 brings me to 23 teams. And so on. Maybe at 52.5 I'll get 20 teams, and there's my split. 

Based on that, I should get a decent idea of where I should put a border, so then I'll look at a map, identify a city that makes a good boundary point, and put it as a division boundary (north or south). Alternately, you can do a city search and use the latitude function the same way. 

I've done the same with longitude and east/west borders. The principle is the same. 

I hope that helps. Good luck!

Hey mate,

Cheers for the extensive response. The problem though, is the regional leagues I'm intending to create are for the same city (i.e., East Melbourne League and West Melbourne League). Unsure if you would be able to help with that, thanks again.

Yeah, that's all I got, unfortunately. Based on what I've seen, I'm not sure the coordinates get that specific so that you can break things up within cities, but someone with more experience in the editor may have insights to the contrary. 

11 minutes ago, Wolf_pd said:

Stadiumposition an option? You could use the method AQ described.

Yea, I was wondering (based on stadium longitude/latitude), If there is a method for the game to reorganise the leagues for each season based on their said position (East/West, North/South, etc). The method AQ described is not detailed enough for inter-city regional leagues as per se.

Edited by Boofhead54

1 hour ago, Boofhead54 said:

Yea, I was wondering (based on stadium longitude/latitude), If there is a method for the game to reorganise the leagues for each season based on their said position (East/West, North/South, etc). The method AQ described is not detailed enough for inter-city regional leagues as per se.

What you can do, is assign teams to a regional division based on stadium long/lat. And then the game reorganise the leagues based on position. It could mean that a few teams end up in the wrong division if one part of the city has more teams than the other, but it can be rearranged every year.

20 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

What you can do, is assign teams to a regional division based on stadium long/lat. And then the game reorganise the leagues based on position. It could mean that a few teams end up in the wrong division if one part of the city has more teams than the other, but it can be rearranged every year.

Okay, I'll give that a crack. I'll let you know if it doesn't work

On 26/07/2021 at 21:43, Boofhead54 said:

Okay, I'll give that a crack. I'll let you know if it doesn't work

This is the issue i came up against . I set city , long latt  stadium etc and could not get it to work . Teams still went to other divisions when relegated . At the top of the main advance editor section there is a section called Dynamic relegation that refers to this and offers a solution but its a bit full on