How we're introducing women's football into Football Manager

33 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Actually every year you get some asking for more features saying SI aren't pushing the boat out enough, and then you get others asking for less features and more consolidation. The user base isn't homogenous, and it's often contradictory.

No its not. At least I'm not.

I want SI to focus of handfull of features and push the boat out enough, but what we get is an announcement more then 1000 features, when you give a closer look is more updates and UI updates and moving button from right to left and what not.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, grade said:

Sure there was oppisition to Touch at the time... there still is opposition to Touch, branding it the easy mode.

Have you forgotten that I'm looking forward for this feature?

It's not about for or against, it's just this recycling of this resource argument, even after SI have gone at lengths to explain it. 

11 minutes ago, grade said:

Sure there was oppisition to Touch at the time... there still is opposition to Touch, branding it the easy mode.

Have you forgotten that I'm looking forward for this feature?

Did you post your concerns about Touch robbing the game of essential resources?

14 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

It's not about for or against, it's just this recycling of this resource argument, even after SI have gone at lengths to explain it. 

But it isn't recycle it is a genuine concern to these people.

For me quick announcement would be enough. We got more detail which is nice.

While others need more explanation and others want a team roster who is going to work in which module and what is their time schedule, just to have guarantee that no module is going to be left behind. Others is all this, to be sent for their approval.

Then, there is the troll who simply are against anything and everything, just because.

19 minutes ago, mikelfc8 said:

Did you post your concerns about Touch robbing the game of essential resources?

No, because I love Touch since the day it was announced and from day 1, perhaps I'm one of those who is requesting year after year for FM Touch Editor. its been few years waiting and counting.

2 minutes ago, grade said:

But it isn't recycle it is a genuine concern to these people.

For me quick announcement would be enough. We got more detail which is nice.

While others need more explanation and others want a team roster who is going to work in which module and what is their time schedule, just to have guarantee that no module is going to be left behind. Others is all this, to be sent for their approval.

Then, there is the troll who simply are against anything and everything, just because.

No, because I love Touch since the day it was announced and from day 1, perhaps I'm one of those who is requesting year after year for FM Touch Editor. its been few years waiting and counting.

Have you posted about any new SI announcements robbing the game of essential resources that do not involve women?

3 minutes ago, mikelfc8 said:

Have you posted about any new SI announcements robbing the game of essential resources that do not involve women?

No... I pretty much looking forward to having Women's league.

But if you want me to say if I ever posted about something that was robbing from development of other parts of the game. Yes, I have. When Press Conferences was announced and any development was done to it. It continues to be a massive waste of time.

1. FM and women fm dlc

Or

2. Expansive FM(add women fm).

Adding women's football is certainly something to be applauded for but

I hope there will be a dlc for users who want to enjoy women's soccer. I'm not a fan of women's football so I don't want to spend money on databases and functions that slow my computer down.

5 minutes ago, a5864003 said:

1. FM and women fm dlc

Or

I hope there will be a dlc for users who want to enjoy women's soccer. I'm not a fan of women's football so I don't want to spend money on databases and functions that slow my computer down.

20 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Please, before you post in this thread, read the opening post carefully. It will likely answer most of your questions. It's why it's there ;)

As stated before, this is clear in the posts by SI. Just like any other league it will be included in the base game, and the leagues can be loaded or not based on what any user wants.

4 hours ago, grade said:

No... I pretty much looking forward to having Women's league.

But if you want me to say if I ever posted about something that was robbing from development of other parts of the game. Yes, I have. When Press Conferences was announced and any development was done to it. It continues to be a massive waste of time.

Doesn't this just boil down to preference?

My guess is that you have no idea of resource allocation within SI, and have no idea of the impact game modules have upon the whole. So any argument about impact is speculation.

A new feature is announced, if you like it it is fine, if you don't then it is 'robbing resources'. Preference and speculation.

Without evidence that it is actually happening, the 'resources' argument seems like a smoke screen for 'I don't like it, so i don't think they should do it', with very little consideration given to why other gamers may like it, why SI may want to do it, or why it may be culturally significant.

By the way, I acknowledge that you are actually in favour of the inclusion of women's football, and seem to be advocating for other poster's points.

3 hours ago, a5864003 said:

1. FM and women fm dlc

Or

Do you want every league to be a DLC? Cause I don't give a hoot about chinese football. Should that be a dlc? Should Slovakian league be a dlc?

52 minutes ago, mikelfc8 said:

Doesn't this just boil down to preference?

My guess is that you have no idea of resource allocation within SI, and have no idea of the impact game modules have upon the whole. So any argument about impact is speculation.

A new feature is announced, if you like it it is fine, if you don't then it is 'robbing resources'. Preference and speculation.

Without evidence that it is actually happening, the 'resources' argument seems like a smoke screen for 'I don't like it, so i don't think they should do it', with very little consideration given to why other gamers may like it, why SI may want to do it, or why it may be culturally significant.

By the way, I acknowledge that you are actually in favour of the inclusion of women's football, and seem to be advocating for other poster's points.

Advocating and understanding are two completely different things. I can have an opinion, still understanding the concerns of the others don't share my opinion.

Too bad! i will go back to my cave again... :(

Edited by grade

24 minutes ago, grade said:

Advocating and understanding are two completely different things. I can have an opinion, still understanding the concerns of the others don't share my opinion.

Too bad! i will go back to my cave again... :(

Very fair point, of course you can.

My guess is that most on here understand the argument that is being attempted, it is not difficult. Unfortunately, I cannot see a sound logical basis for a resources argument, so I cannot accept it as legitimate.

Can you explain how it is any different from this -

new feature is announced, if you like it it is fine, if you don't then it is 'robbing resources'. Preference and speculation?

Of course, the reasons behind peddling an illegitimate argument are another thing entirely.

Edited by mikelfc8

26 minutes ago, mikelfc8 said:

Very fair point, of course you can.

My guess is that most on here understand the argument that is being attempted, it is not difficult. Unfortunately, I cannot see a sound logical basis for a resources argument, so I cannot accept it as legitimate.

Can you explain how it is any different from this -

new feature is announced, if you like it it is fine, if you don't then it is 'robbing resources'. Preference and speculation?

Of course, the reasons behind peddling an illegitimate argument are another thing entirely.

My point is that other things about the game should be prioritized, whether that’s hiring more staff for that area or just working on certain features, the fact is that we have features in the game that aren’t fully working as intended, half done or just haven’t been updated for a decade.

woman league or not, I would have the same opinion about MLS inclusion if I would have known that the league would be unplayable after year one and if it would have been eventually abandoned.

with all the things that would be needed for a woman’s game, with the track record I can see this feature having the same fate eventually especially if it doesn’t move the needle in sales. At this point it’s just putting it in the game just to have it.

with that said, I’ll eat my crow if international management is finally upgraded and MLS finally works on top of the inclusion of woman football…

6 minutes ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

My point is that other things about the game should be prioritized, whether that’s hiring more staff for that area or just working on certain features, the fact is that we have features in the game that aren’t fully working as intended, half done or just haven’t been updated for a decade.

woman league or not, I would have the same opinion about MLS inclusion if I would have known that the league would be unplayable after year one and if it would have been eventually abandoned.

with all the things that would be needed for a woman’s game, with the track record I can see this feature having the same fate eventually especially if it doesn’t move the needle in sales. At this point it’s just putting it in the game just to have it.

with that said, I’ll eat my crow if international management is finally upgraded and MLS finally works on top of the inclusion of woman football…

It's not a choice between these things. This is the point you have failed to grasp repeatedly. It's the same false point over and over. 

14 minutes ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

Have you had the same reaction to every new feature announced during the time you have been waiting for your chosen preferences (international management and MLS) to be worked on?

If so, could you quote the posts showing your consistent complaints of resource misallocation?

41 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

It's not a choice between these things. This is the point you have failed to grasp repeatedly. It's the same false point over and over. 

Track record says otherwise.

Do they or do they not prioritize features, fixes and additions? Yes or no?

one minute people treat it as if it’s just another loaded league then next minute people treat it as it’s own entity…

25 minutes ago, mikelfc8 said:

Have you had the same reaction to every new feature announced during the time you have been waiting for your chosen preferences (international management and MLS) to be worked on?

If so, could you quote the posts showing your consistent complaints of resource misallocation?

I don’t really see where you are getting at considering that this would be the biggest addition to the game in some time. Everything else have been upgrades to existing features…I took a break from the game around the time things like touch and online drafts were introduced..

21 minutes ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

I don’t really see where you are getting at considering that this would be the biggest addition to the game in some time. Everything else have been upgrades to existing features…I took a break from the game around the time things like touch and online drafts were introduced..

The logic you have used to explain your negative reaction to the addition of women's football - the taking of resources from game areas you deem more worthy - could equally be applied to any new feature.

But you have chosen to only complain about this one.

I am interested in why that is the case.

9 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

:rolleyes:

9 hours ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

Mars, all we can do, is simply having little faith and in trusting in SI will do a good job in developing this features at the same time with other features, which I have no doubt they will. ;) Have a little patience and have little faith.

Stay cool! :D

Edited by grade

10 hours ago, mikelfc8 said:

The logic you have used to explain your negative reaction to the addition of women's football - the taking of resources from game areas you deem more worthy - could equally be applied to any new feature.

But you have chosen to only complain about this one.

I am interested in why that is the case.

A different opinion of yours isn’t a negative reaction, in fact I’ve said the idea was cool. You have an agenda. It’s not even about me not wanting woman being in the game as that seem to be your beef.

I said i wasn’t around the game when touch was introduced nor was I around for the draft and online stuff.  I’m sure those things received “negative” reactions as well.

41 minutes ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

A different opinion of yours isn’t a negative reaction, in fact I’ve said the idea was cool. You have an agenda. It’s not even about me not wanting woman being in the game as that seem to be your beef.

I said i wasn’t around the game when touch was introduced nor was I around for the draft and online stuff.  I’m sure those things received “negative” reactions as well.

You did say it was a cool idea.

You also said -

On 03/08/2021 at 22:21, Mars_Blackmon said:

The problem is that there are things still wrong with the game and doesn’t work well when it comes to league rules and financial things, but here we are introducing another wrinkle into the game which most likely won’t work well either…

The fact that they will have outside influence on the game is not really a good thing. I’ve seen it with OOTP baseball this year. The actual foundation of the game have been ignored in favor of a specific game mode which was influenced by the current new ownership of the series. 

On 04/08/2021 at 00:21, Mars_Blackmon said:

It’s not getting less but it’s also not getting more…That’s the point. Also things get fix and added base on priority. Woman football will most likely be a sponsored and heavily feature option in the game similar to how MLS was first introduced. 

this addition is just glitter on top of icing on a molded cake.

12 hours ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

... (my edit)

I struggle to see how you can claim that those statements do not constitute a negative reaction. You literally pointed out that something was 'not a good thing' - the definition of negative.

I have no problem with different opinions. I just think they should be able to stand up to a little scrutiny.

Edited by mikelfc8

Am 24.7.2021 um 10:58 schrieb Travis Bickle:

I'll explain something I am personally disappointed about. 

When I've emailed SI in the past (and to be fair, I am talking 3-5 years ago) asking about the inclusion of other leagues, I've been told that they aren't willing to add leagues that they don't think people will play. I've also been told it adds to testing time to check whether a new league would be compatible with the existing game. 

Now when it comes to 'inclusion'...

There's only one African league in the whole game. No Egypt, no Morocco, no Nigeria etc. I wonder what evidence there is that the women's leagues in say FM23 would have more people playing it than the Egyptian league?

We're missing leagues in Bolivia, Ecuador, Paraguay and Venezuela which would greatly improve the South American experience.

The Cypriot league is not in the game despite being a top 20 ranked UEFA league for a decade or more now. There's no Azerbaijan or Kazakhstan despite the fact both countries have improved a lot recently. Even some of the excluded Baltic (Lithuania) and Balkan (Montenegro) countries could be an interesting addition.  

Obviously no Japan but I understand the licensing issues there. 

No Middle-Eastern leagues at all...No UAE, no Qatar, no Bahrain, no Iran, no Saudi Arabia, even though these leagues have pretty decent commercial pull and a number of good players there. 

Furthermore, at least one major European league seems to have a serious bug every year. 

What I'm trying to say is...the women's game is a nice addition and I commend SI for what they are trying to do, but it feels like: 

1) You could apply the 'inclusion' argument to African or Middle-Eastern football. Africa and the Middle-East is vastly under-represented in the game. Morocco objectively has a better league than Iceland for example. 

2) I am skeptical in the long-term how popular the woman's database will be, and worried if development time will be taken away from the parts of the game most people will play. 

3) I would really rather they focused on including more nations/leagues in the men's game first. 

This is obviously just my opinion. Others will disagree and that's fine. And I absolutely do not mean any disrespect to SI or women's football, I'm just expressing how I feel. 

P.S Yes I know you can add leagues in the Editor but as someone who has made editor files, it takes a lot of work. Adding multiple playable edited league can cause instability. And it doesn't change the lack of research for leagues not in the vanilla game. 

I like what you're saying. 

Politics.

“If we can help increase the audience for women’s football and help create role models for girls and young women: job done. We’ve been part of the problem from not having done this earlier. We should’ve done this years ago: we’re righting that wrong. There are so many fantastic people in the women’s game that haven’t been able to get the recognition. If we can help with that, if we can all help with that, that’s fantastic.”

-Miles

Morality.

On 27/07/2021 at 07:13, Junkhead said:

State of some of the replies on this thread.

People threatening boycots because women's football is being added is EXACTLY why it needs to be added.  People who cannot stand to even have women in the same game as men is EXACTLY why it needs to be added.  People saying it's not the same sport is EXACTLY why it needs to be added.

Gender equality isn't "political" in the same way that racial equality isn't "political".  It's fundemental to human rights and the fact we are in the 21st century and people are kicking off over this says it all.

Veiling arguments against "But what about other areas of the game" whilst at the same time saying you will never buy it again also says it all.  If other areas of the game are not impacted whatsoever, why wouldn't you buy it? 

I think we all know the reason if we're honest.

This.

Are there issues with FM as is? 

Should other leagues be added? 

Absolutely.

But it's not necessarily either/or. It's not women's football OR fixing/improving the game. Different teams will have different responsibilities, different budgets, timeframes etc. 

I'll be honest - I have no active interest in women's football, partly because I don't have the time to start following another form of sport, however I can imagine me managing women's teams in FM in the same way I'd manage an Icelandic team - it's something different, out of your comfort zone, and it's a new challenge.

If your deep-rooted concerns have anything to do with equality, I urge you to ask yourself why this is the case.

Quite frankly if you say you'll never buy FM again because of women's football being in the pipeline/when it comes in, you're either lying (to yourself and others) or, as Miles essentially says... good.

As a feature, it is a feature. Like the online features, either editor, or the "replace a team with whoever you want"-mode it is something that can safely be ignored if it isn't one's cup of tea or be something that is essentially the entire game for others. I don't know how much I'd play this mode outside a beta-save or two, as I am pretty much set in what my main save will be by now and most minor saves are tactical tinkering building up to my style of the year.

------------

What I hope for is at least some integration between the modes and that the match engine in both modes will grow from new variables.

Integration: I am from Wolfsburg which has a pretty successful women's team and a men's team that recently acquired the tradition of either playing for Europe or against relegation. This also affected how many and which kinds of fans attended the games of the women's club (a while back they played in the biggish older stadium and men's seasonal cards were valid for the women's games as well). This also resulted in some men's coaches using a "Let's watch the women perform" as an alternative to a mid-week training camp for teambuilding, seeing the colours triumph, and (at least officially) for some tactical/fighting lessons. [Our old Coach Kellermann also always was in the running of "replacement coach the fans want" ^^].

Growth: What Miles wrote about "more lobs against smaller keepers" and similar reactivity is something that this new mode can and must explore but is also something that could ultimately bring the men's ME to new heights. Right now it makes little difference to the opposition whether or not I plays brick walls in defense or fast sweepers. It matters little to them whether I use a 20/20 Jumping/Strength tower up front or a small sprinter. When the opposition gets more aware of their opponent's size, it would make a huge difference!

I hope something similar goes to the handling of star players or star teams -- In women's football, at least in some leagues, the difference between top and bottom is much larger and due to the shorter amount of new players making the cut and the common amateur or half-amateur status there is just a different meta-game. Some teams use and abuse the top players they have. Others have a close-knit team and know how to handle the opposition's teams. Some are just hopelessly outclassed and some can waltz through most teams in their leagues and need to be made aware of the one or two hard opponents and whoever awaits in Europe. Right now teams in FM seldomly focus upon obvious star players way above the rest and have a strong tendency to either wall themselves in or go all-out in attack whenever the slightest bit of difference in reputation is detected.

I've read some comments and then jumped to the end. To many of the ones against the whole concept of women's football, I say this. Just wait until some of you are old enough and lucky enough to have a daughter. To watch them grow up playing and enjoying football. To be lucky enough to see them play in their country's top league and go on to train with the national team at under 19 level. Then you may appreciate that football truly is for all. Embrace it. My daughter gives as good as she gets, and has had many battles in her younger years just to play with the boys due to lack of girls teams. Don't play it if you don't want to, but don't dismiss it either. I'm sure SI will show the same tenacity as my daughter has, and ignore the haters, and give this emerging market a chance. 

Edited by \'Appy \'Ammer

1 minute ago, PhilT said:

I have commented on this as I do not want a mandatory addition that would be detrimental to the quality of a game I purchase.

I have removed the personal digs - no need for it. I have left the answer to the question you were asked.

Just now, PhilT said:

Would you be equally as assisting in answering my original question?

I can assume it might be like loading or not loading leagues, but that would be a complete guess. They mention seamlessly being able to move to manage a men's team to a women's team, so it should be part of the same database in a way (I guess?) as it's one breathing, functioning world. We're a long way away from this being a feature in the game, so will need more fleshing out, I'd (also) guess, before being specific about how exactly something will work.

7 minutes ago, PhilT said:

I have commented on this as I do not want a mandatory addition that would be detrimental to the quality of a game I purchase.

Have you previously posted about every mandatory addition that you consider detrimental to the quality of the game you purchase?

Or is women's football the only thing SI have ever introduced that you consider to be detrimental to the quality of the game you purchase?

2 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

I can assume it might be like loading or not loading leagues, but that would be a complete guess. They mention seamlessly being able to move to manage a men's team to a women's team, so it should be part of the same database in a way (I guess?) as it's one breathing, functioning world. We're a long way away from this being a feature in the game, so will need more fleshing out, I'd (also) guess, before being specific about how exactly something will work.

1 minute ago, mikelfc8 said:

Have you previously posted about every mandatory addition that you consider detrimental to the quality of the game you purchase?

Or is women's football the only thing SI have ever introduced that you consider to be detrimental to the quality of the game you purchase?

Mikel - if there were to be an addition that could drastically alter the performance of the game, I would have challenged it. My original post was cut by the mods, so that is my final reply to your comment. Thanks

6 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Thank you Hunter for your reply. Please take this in the manor it is meant. I think most people are interested in the games performance level & if big additions were made to it that customers couldn't choose whether to select or not, I think it would degrade user experience & eventual customer purchase, My feelings only. Thanks again  

17 hours ago, PhilT said:

Thank you Hunter for your reply. Please take this in the manor it is meant. I think most people are interested in the games performance level & if big additions were made to it that customers couldn't choose whether to select or not, I think it would degrade user experience & eventual customer purchase, My feelings only. Thanks again  

EVERYTHING affects performance, positively or negatively.  They also put considerable work into making sure those negative effects are lessened.  It would sensible to assume that if adding this stuff did degrade quality, that they would make efforts to do just that.  Ignoring that makes any claims of your worries about performance pretty hollow, and suggests maybe there's something else at play.

1 hour ago, forameuss said:

EVERYTHING affects performance, positively or negatively.  They also put considerable work into making sure those negative effects are lessened.  It would sensible to assume that if adding this stuff did degrade quality, that they would make efforts to do just that.  Ignoring that makes any claims of your worries about performance pretty hollow, and suggests maybe there's something else at play.

Of course everything affects performance - silly thing to say. Your hollow is not my concern. My opinion is just that - my opinion & a reply from someone saying something they think they should say is - how would I word it, a pretty hollow way to live. Further nonsensical replies from you shall be ignored