[Discussion] Club Academies

MasterKano

I'd like to have direct access to Club Academies in-game so that I can more closely monitor the youth players from a younger age, generally I'm lead to believe that the academies system begins at the age of 8 and currently the game recognises the beginning of a career from the age of 15.

I'd like the ability to remove "lesser" players from my academies and better ability to micro-manage the staff.

At the moment the detail involved in Youth teams, Scouting and Academies is incredibly shallow, neigh-on non-existent as the development section in-game is poorly optimized.

Counter-argument: it is not usually in a football manager's remit to micro-manage junior teams and academies to this extent.

Think about it. Pep Guardiola wouldn't look in on Man City's Under-14s team and then tell them to drop a 13-year-old kid because he didn't have 5* potential. But even if he could, and even with City's resources, it would be unrealistic for him to just sign up all the best schoolkids in England or sign all the best youth coaches.

Now let's assume SI did give you more say over your junior teams. Do you realise how much processing power would be needed to add thousands upon thousands of schoolboy players aged 9-15 to the game - only a small percentage of whom will even make it to the Under-18s squad, let alone play professionally? That seems like an incredible waste of resources.

The current youth system works fine as is. Every year, your youth intake has the best players from your Under-16s squad, whose ability/potential are determined by various factors - junior coaching, youth facilities, youth recruitment, etc. It's actually very well optimised, and there is no real need to go deeper.

Yeah, some of those players won't be good enough for your first-team, but that's how it is in real life. If you look through Arsenal's youth teams over the last decade and see where those players are now, most of those will have become lower-league journeymen or part-time footballers - and that's if they're even still playing.

• Abdullah Patel changed the title to [Discussion] Club Academies
  • 4 months later...
  • SI Staff

Hey @MasterKano what levels of interaction are you intending for there to be with this?

Most clubs from what I'm aware of will have multiple teams at certain age groups and having multiple age groups too. 

How do you see some of the following playing out in game:

- 50 to 100+ additional players per club having to be included
- Multiple levels of youth fixtures impacting the game processing for nations selected
- Releasing children from clubs 
- Reflecting youth transfers in a legally accurate manner
- Injuries
- Training schedules

• 5 months later...
On 02/12/2021 at 03:16, Michael Sant said:

Hey @MasterKano what levels of interaction are you intending for there to be with this?

Most clubs from what I'm aware of will have multiple teams at certain age groups and having multiple age groups too. 

How do you see some of the following playing out in game:

- 50 to 100+ additional players per club having to be included
- Multiple levels of youth fixtures impacting the game processing for nations selected
- Releasing children from clubs 
- Reflecting youth transfers in a legally accurate manner
- Injuries
- Training schedules

Personally I would be happy if I could see the academy teams and be involved with the coaching teams 

@Michael SantThe number of players/ fixtures etc. would grow exponentially if each club had a full youth structure - especially for larger teams!  I know where I live that their are loads of kids in the 'Foxes', which is a development academy for Leicester City - and we're no where near Leicester, so I would imagine their academy is vast in England alone!

Perhaps the next step would be having more sight of how the junior coaching budget and youth recruitment budget is being spent, perhaps even some input into where academies are being established and how training budget is used to develop staff and recruit new staff  - just high level (so no new staff members in the db).  We might even be able to get feedback from the HoYD on which academy/region is proving most fruitful, how we might reallocate money to improve results etc.

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators

While I appreciate everyone's input, it's not something we're likely to go forward with for a host of reasons, namely because of the processing strain it would put on games to include this many extra layers to youth football.