Pre-game editor advanced rules - Please make sort teams by division reputation more consistent

graaa

Say you have 3 top divisions - Greece, Cyprus, and Switzerland’s top divisions. Each division has the same reputation (132 / 200). Now say you have 3 lists containing 3 teams from each of these divisions which looks like this: 

List 1 
1. Swiss team, position 1 in their division

2. Greek team, position 1 in their division

3. Cypriot team, position 1 in their division

List 2

1. Swiss team, position 2 in their division

2. Greek team, position 2 in their division

3. Cypriot team, position 2 in their division

List 3

1. Swiss team, position 3 in their division

2. Greek team, position 3 in their division

3. Cypriot team, position 3 in their division

What I expect to happen when I sort each list by “division reputation” is that the order remains exactly the same (since all of these teams are in divisions with the same reputation). In more technical words, what I expect to happen is that when the sorting function compares 2 teams with the same divisional reputation, it does not reorder them. However, what actually happens is the list gets sorted by division reputation AND team reputation, resulting in each list having a different order of teams than when they started. 

This is just a simple example, but it’s actually a big problem because a consistent sorting function is very foundational if you’re trying to build a continental competition which dynamically seeds team berths based on division reputation each year. If you can’t sort multiple lists of top division teams and have each list be ordered consistently with teams from the same divisions occupying the same index in each separate list, even if a few divisions in that list share equal reputations, this sort of project becomes almost impossible. 

Believe me, I’ve spent close to 100 hours in the editor only to discover this bug. I can provide a file and further walkthrough if your engineers need something to test and reproduce this with. 

I hope you’d consider making the sort by division rule actually sort a given list by division alone, without including the team reputation axis in there too, or providing a new sorting rule to provide this functionality, or more fine tuned control over how sorts happen. 

thanks for bearing with me and reading. 

Edited by graaa

• graaa changed the title to Pre-game editor advanced rules - Please make sort teams by division reputation more consistent