Swapping TM to another forward role

image.png.78dbfb8e0e834b837fef6889f2827c1e.png

image.png

Currently I'm playing in the A-League in Australia. I'm playing the above tactic and have the striker on loan who won't be returning. I have managed to sign Suphanat Mueanta as a marquee replacement (I also got Hiroke Abe as a marquee so I'm pretty excited to use two really good Asian players in Asia). The problem is Mueanta isn't a targetman by any means. I still have time (five matches + finals) to make plans on how to implement him. 

Currently, the tactic works (I'm not sure if it makes complete sense but while it works I'm not adjusting). Since I'm not floating crosses and don't have any specific targetman instructions I'm sort of thinking maybe a DLF-At will be the most appropriate swap. Would this be the general consensus place to start? If it doesn't work I'll just have a play around until it does but I'd like a plan beforehand.

Any player can play any role.  Different players will play the same role differently.  So there's nothing to say Muenta can't play as a TM, he'll just play it differently than your current TM does.

However, whether that difference will still combine nicely with your other players is the million dollar question and only trying him out in that role will be able to answer that (in pre-season friendlies for example).  It's also important to remember that a different role can impact your system elsewhere.

What I'd suggest is use pre-season to try things out.  See if giving Muenta the TM role does still fit in nicely with your system.  If it doesn't you'll have time to try out other roles, but if you do you may need to adjust more than just the striker's role in order to maintain your progress - changing one thing can upset the balance elsewhere, so something to keep an eye on.

22 minutes ago, herne79 said:

What I'd suggest is use pre-season to try things out.  See if giving Muenta the TM role does still fit in nicely with your system.  If it doesn't you'll have time to try out other roles, but if you do you may need to adjust more than just the striker's role in order to maintain your progress - changing one thing can upset the balance elsewhere, so something to keep an eye on.

Hmm, that's what I was worried about.

I must admit, I hadn't thought of trying out a smaller player as a TM. I'm usually up for stuff like this too so surprised it didn't cross my mind. Thanks for the tip!

I'd probably try him as an AF, and put the right winger on support.  Add Low Crosses instruction.  

• Advanced Forward to make the most of his movement, especially with an AP to feed him. 
  • Winger on support just because I prefer them (and it should give even more space for the wing-back to overlap)
  • Low crosses because he's rubbish in the air.

19 hours ago, nick1408 said:

I must admit, I hadn't thought of trying out a smaller player as a TM. I'm usually up for stuff like this too so surprised it didn't cross my mind. Thanks for the tip!

He's quite short indeed, but it may not matter as much if the balls being played into him are on the ground rather than aerial. Also worth considering opponent attributes, for example, what's the average strength for a CB in the A-League? How does Muenta's 12 strength compare to that average? etc

14 minutes ago, NotSoSpecialOne said:

He's quite short indeed, but it may not matter as much if the balls being played into him are on the ground rather than aerial. Also worth considering opponent attributes, for example, what's the average strength for a CB in the A-League? How does Muenta's 12 strength compare to that average? etc

Funny you mention average strength etc. As Australia is on the East Asian side of the Asian Champions League draw 12 should be more of enough in continental competition. At home in the league it should be competitive:

image.thumb.png.2e031d39fc25d9cd5c11deb8f75562af.png

So I may get away with leaving him as a targetman but changing the crossing to whipped or low crosses.