[Discussion] Has "natural limitations" been implemented in the game?

rristola

Simple question, has "natural limitations" like amount of people in the area or possible sponsor sizes been implemented in the game?

So, could the board construct a stadium with 200 000 seats into a town with 50 000 citizens, and get it 'sold-out'? Could I get a sponsor to give me a million, if normal sponsors in our town could give max 20-50 000?

Why these questions? I like starting in a small town team. I have wondered, if I could get promoted on and on. Would the board just agree with building new facilities aso.? (Not every year, but...team gets more money, and...)

Could the board say "NO!" when there is a chance to get promoted? Could they just say "We have reached our limitations."?

• 2 weeks later...
  • SI Staff

To answer your questions, these scenarios are in the boundaries of reality. If a small team grew enough, they could garner support from outside the town and therefore sell out the stadium despite the capacity being larger than the population of the city (this could happen in game). Similarly, if the small club grew enough it could garner enough reputation to attract huge sponsors from outside the town (again could happen in game). However there aren't teams in game that refuse promotion. In game there are examples of clubs refusing to turn pro (some as a result do not get promoted) but not clubs refusing to be promoted. 

Thanks for taking the time to input your thoughts. Set to discussion and left it open for more questions and opinions

• Abdullah Patel changed the title to [Discussion] Has "natural limitations" been implemented in the game?

The only real life scenario which I know where clubs decline promoting is in the Holland 3rd division which clubs refuse to turn pro therefore never get promoted to second division. I think as a gamer experience point of view, if you are only playing as a one club career, then it will be so underwhelming for your board to stop the club from promoting thus unable to compete at the top level of the nation. 

As for attendance wise, I think for a small town to get sold out status is really hard. It might takes years for your small capacity stadium to be filled, not even mentioning a large stadium. 

Thanks, angmodurian, for answering.

Of course, countries are so different. In England - a lot of people, people living in cities (shorter distances), a lot of football fans, good level football. At least VNL (5. level) matches are covered (at least) in Live Stream. (Don't know if all, but...)

But, if we look at smaller countries, like Denmark, would sponsors get (relatively) the same coverage? Are Danish 2. level teams LOCAL teams? I'm guessing, that BIG MONEY goes to main league and first division teams.

Should this be considered in the game itself? Maybe not. There is already this league reputation system. That's enough for me.

Another thing, that has made me wonder, is whether players' wages are enough to cover normal costs of living. Or, do players also have another jobs?

And if so, then how is it possible, that many players are ready to move inside thier own country so "easily"? I'm managing now in England, and no English player has said "No", because of long distance (must move). And these have been 'Non-Contracts'...

I checked. In game, lower ranked VNL South team's players' average wage is less than 1000 Euros. Is that enough (comparing to costs of living)? Is that (near) reality? Anybody knows?

12 hours ago, rristola said:

Thanks, angmodurian, for answering.

Of course, countries are so different. In England - a lot of people, people living in cities (shorter distances), a lot of football fans, good level football. At least VNL (5. level) matches are covered (at least) in Live Stream. (Don't know if all, but...)

But, if we look at smaller countries, like Denmark, would sponsors get (relatively) the same coverage? Are Danish 2. level teams LOCAL teams? I'm guessing, that BIG MONEY goes to main league and first division teams.

Should this be considered in the game itself? Maybe not. There is already this league reputation system. That's enough for me.

Another thing, that has made me wonder, is whether players' wages are enough to cover normal costs of living. Or, do players also have another jobs?

And if so, then how is it possible, that many players are ready to move inside thier own country so "easily"? I'm managing now in England, and no English player has said "No", because of long distance (must move). And these have been 'Non-Contracts'...

I checked. In game, lower ranked VNL South team's players' average wage is less than 1000 Euros. Is that enough (comparing to costs of living)? Is that (near) reality? Anybody knows?

If you are talking about sponsor, there are still local sponsors for the local team, and if your club is big enough, i guess oversee sponsor will also find you. For example, croatian giant Dinamo Zagreb have sponsors like coca-cola etc. Of course, you can't compare the sponsor income as other big clubs in the top five leagues. However, i guess if the club is really successfully in the Champion League, that might well change.  And i guess the league reputation system in the game kind of reflect the amount of sponsor you can get.

As for non contract foreign players, yes, i think it is quite unthinkable that a player would come all the way to a foreign country to sign a non contract which mean he also needs to find a job outside of football. However, i think nothing is impossible, there should be people out there doing this kind of thing which we might not have knowledge of, but the game can't deny the possibility. If you want to feel realistic when playing, you can restraint yourself from signing any foregin player until you are able to sign full time players. 

Speaking back, when you create your player for you save (let say a road to glory), would you change the manager nations to the country you are going to manage? I guess most people will tend to use their own nation because you are the one playing, so back to your second point, would you think a englishmen would go all the way to norwegian third division to manage a semi pro team and earn 1-2k norwegian dollar?

angmodurian, you are just right. IF the team is BIG ENOUGH! In my example I used Danish 2. division. I checked this out. That league is semi-pro. One team there in the beginning season is Hillerød. Wiki says there's about 30 000 citizens, and it's located about 35km or 20 miles away from Copenhagen (800 000 citizens).

What do you think, would this team be able to win anything big? Danish Cup? Be able to get big sponsors? I think that the location beside the capitol city (or any much bigger city) makes this team, and all alike, ONLY LOCAL teams. And, those teams know it.

This is only speculation, and I don't need this to be implemented into the game. But, if ever the reputation system would be tweaked, then this could be taken into account... (Maybe is already!)

I don't remember, if I ever got any player to move from one country to another without paying any salary, but moving in your own country still costs money. If not getting any salary, and if those jobs (for footballers) are hard to find, I would think twice before signing such a (non-)contract.

And, there are also full grown men moving (family?), not just young ones. Of course, for youth players and even young adults it's totally different. But if an academy wants a youth player, it has the money to do that. And you're right, every player must think his own best. And that might need moving.

This 'discussion' is to get opinions, whether this 'to get non-contract players' to move' is TOO easy. Should it's possibility be tweaked a little bit lower? (And maybe hear how things are in real life...)           But, no, I'm fine with these 'rules'.

Norway is a pretty rich country, so... This is just like previous one - every man has to think only his own best. Maybe, if thinking to make career as someone who knows Scandinavian players, that could be a good choice. Maybe offered a position as the manager - not as a coach.

I have been playing only as me in real life. Once in Steam someone asked a real challenge for him, and I invented a role - I could play that role myself.