My tactic stopped working/needs an upgrade

Ive been running below tactic for the whole save (offcours tweaking and changing roles, but I basicly never aborted the shape; a 4132 narrow. Why? I basicly never had the money to change it and buy 4 wingers (2 starters and 2 backups). The tactic has served me well, but at the start of this season where i'm  much more a favorite then previous years (heavy investments in several positions), I have been struggling a lot in the opening matches against teams that I should (and used to) walk over.

20210717014344_1.thumb.jpg.3242c8445c54008c19a78428963511c9.jpg

What I'm especially noting at the moment (and didnt come up in friendlies)is

a) a lack of shots on target: despite having the ballon d'or winner up front, a lot of shots are offtarget

b) not enough assistance/runs from the midfield. strikers often have to play the ball back a fair amount whrn attacking, which allows the opposition to regroup. it also takes a long time to get to a shot

c) a struggling CM. Ive had this in the past but the last few matches it happened even more profound. The player in the CM position always has terrible games (6.4 ), no matter who I put there.

Any advice is appreciated

my thoughts would be:

A) your stikers being marked out of the game quite often. specifically the AF. making his chances primarily from range, or a header perhaps. what sort of chances are being created (even the ones off target), are they shots with feet? or headers? where from? contested or free?

B) I would expect this really. Mez is the only actively looking to get forward, albeit into the wide areas. BWM is a ball winner, his priority is to win it and move it on. While the DLP is focused on longer ranged, riskier passes. This leads into C, also in regard to strikers playing back to goal.

C) You've got a DLP who likes to use longer range creativity by default. You're asking your entire team to be more disciplined with their creativity so both he and the MEZ (also a creator) to reel it in. That coupled with 'Dribble Less', i would expect that you're making a lot of sideways passes and your strikers are finding themselves out of the play, hence having to come and get the ball more.

In saying all that, you're 3rd in the league and although 2034, that would seem positive to me? 

but there are some ideas for you in any case, from how i would look at it.

-Most chanches that end up going off target are headers, which is not abnormal: my team is not the best at crossing, nor the best headers up front. I want to reduce crossing, but havent found a reliable way for it, even when I instruct it.

-Im not using a BWM, but a BBM? surely he gets forward? He even has the trait gets forward whenever possible.

-Like said, I struggle with the DLP position and Im not sure which one to use. Ive tried multiple roles with different players, but its mainly the mezalla that is the creative force/ does the hard work.

-The reason im using dribble less is the same as above: my team is better at passing than dribbling. Whenever they dribble they tend to lose the ball instead of passing it. The be more disciplined is something I toggle now and then. I also have the feeling that if I dont have it on, my dlp gets even worse ratings/ pass completion

I know 3rd doesnt look terrible, but it's only 3 games in (4 if you count community shield), and the type of performances it were, against the type of teams (all basicly bottom half teams while im supposed to challenge for the title), got me really worried. Past seasons I got off to a much better start.

Especially as I Improved several positions and you need to know that man city barely drops points. If it was one bad match I wouldnt worry, but they were all bad and my upcoming game is against nr1....

Which roles would you change?

If I was you, I'd go back to the drawing board and strip all the ti's for now. Just work on the roles and duties. Some of those ti's, like look for overlap for example, are just a bit redundant since your wingbacks will get fwd naturally and there is no-one in the team for them to overlap. Only play out from the back and loe/DL are really useful here, but I'd ditch them for now too.

Here's a few starting points.

The DM and the dlp are both hold position roles. Do you really need both? For me I'd have the dlpD if I was using a 4312 or a DM if I using 4132. Current setup is worst of both worlds imo. The DM will shield just fine by himself. 

To me the BBM and the Mez are the wrong way round. If a dlfs drops deep he is going to deny space for the BBM to get forward. Whereas the advanced fwd who plays on the shoulder and pushes wide is going to create room behind him for the BBM to run into. Equally when the dlfs drops deep the Mez can get beyond him because they go wider and into the channels. Might wanna experiment with carrilello instead of BBM too.

If you want a playmaker in the central spot. Why not an advanced or roaming playmaker? He has a DM behind him protecting the back four afterall. 

If you stick with both wingbacks pushing fwd aggressively like now you might want to look at some alternatives for the DM. Anchor man and half back are better suited to making a three with the CBs. Alternatively if you don't stick with that bwm is a good role too.

Finally, I think you might be better served by having one attack one support duty on your wingbacks to create space between the lines. Or even a fullback and wingback for defensive solidity and balancing buildup. Experiment with that area since the Mez and BBM will need different types of lb RB behind them to get the best.

Good luck man.

Edited by Guerin
10 hours ago, Guerin said:

If I was you, I'd go back to the drawing board and strip all the ti's for now. Just work on the roles and duties. Some of those ti's, like look for overlap for example, are just a bit redundant since your wingbacks will get fwd naturally and there is no-one in the team for them to overlap. Only play out from the back and loe/DL are really useful here, but I'd ditch them for now too.

Here's a few starting points.

The DM and the dlp are both hold position roles. Do you really need both? For me I'd have the dlpD if I was using a 4312 or a DM if I using 4132. Current setup is worst of both worlds imo. The DM will shield just fine by himself. 

To me the BBM and the Mez are the wrong way round. If a dlfs drops deep he is going to deny space for the BBM to get forward. Whereas the advanced fwd who plays on the shoulder and pushes wide is going to create room behind him for the BBM to run into. Equally when the dlfs drops deep the Mez can get beyond him because they go wider and into the channels. Might wanna experiment with carrilello instead of BBM too.

If you want a playmaker in the central spot. Why not an advanced or roaming playmaker? He has a DM behind him protecting the back four afterall. 

If you stick with both wingbacks pushing fwd aggressively like now you might want to look at some alternatives for the DM. Anchor man and half back are better suited to making a three with the CBs. Alternatively if you don't stick with that bwm is a good role too.

Finally, I think you might be better served by having one attack one support duty on your wingbacks to create space between the lines. Or even a fullback and wingback for defensive solidity and balancing buildup. Experiment with that area since the Mez and BBM will need different types of lb RB behind them to get the best.

Good luck man.

Ive finished the season and did most changes you said already: changedto a halfback, made an IWB on the right to create an overload on the middle/right and a fullback on the left for a bit more defensive solidity. WhatI didnt do was swap the strikers, because Im a bit worried about footedness. How do i want it set up? Do i want the right footed AF (main goalscorer) on the left so his dominant foot faces goal?

The CM spot im still not certain, and against weaker opponents i just change to a narrow diamond for morepressure. Ill probably stick wit RPM because i can modify it most (the player I want at CM has excellent long shots, but also comes deep to get ball). So you would suggest something like this?

20210724225108_1.thumb.jpg.dd65ac71c47ad255ff5f533c191a31fb.jpg

Idid win my first title, but in part because the opposition had a total offseason. Of the 20 teams, only me and leeds lost fewer than 9 (!) times. Man City, who went unbeaten last season, lost 10 times, just to illustrate.

On 24/07/2021 at 13:52, eXistenZ said:

Ive finished the season and did most changes you said already: changedto a halfback, made an IWB on the right to create an overload on the middle/right and a fullback on the left for a bit more defensive solidity. WhatI didnt do was swap the strikers, because Im a bit worried about footedness. How do i want it set up? Do i want the right footed AF (main goalscorer) on the left so his dominant foot faces goal?

The CM spot im still not certain, and against weaker opponents i just change to a narrow diamond for morepressure. Ill probably stick wit RPM because i can modify it most (the player I want at CM has excellent long shots, but also comes deep to get ball). So you would suggest something like this?

20210724225108_1.thumb.jpg.dd65ac71c47ad255ff5f533c191a31fb.jpg

Idid win my first title, but in part because the opposition had a total offseason. Of the 20 teams, only me and leeds lost fewer than 9 (!) times. Man City, who went unbeaten last season, lost 10 times, just to illustrate.

You did a great job, won the league, and your players all had really good seasons.  So I'd take this with a grain of salt. 

If you do start having problems with this tactic, especially against top clubs, maybe be on alert for this:  if I were playing against you, I would defend narrower, man mark your LB, maybe have a DM close down your running midfielder, attack wider and more direct (maybe higher tempo), focus down one or both flanks, pass into space, distribute to the flanks, maybe overlap.  How has 'force opposition outside' worked for you?  It looks like you will have no one, perhaps excepting your HB, defending the flanks.  I'd fear that quick wingers, like Sterling or Saka, would have acres of space and race in behind your defense, and that top-level target men would cause you problems.

Scoring sometimes could be better, but thats mainly because my AF had a stellar season last year, while this year it was much more evenly distributed.  We did end up with best goal difference with most goals scored and fewest conceded, so it isnt immediately a problem (and im upgrading the attack). But like said, other teams had a terrible season as well.

Ive instructed my BBM to stay wider, so the fullbacks arent alone in defending. I've had not that much succes with crosses myself, So I dont mind the AI doing them (especially because my CB's and HB are very tall)

I havent been able to analyse what goals I get against, as I started the new season's friendlies and didnt concede (but they were poor teams anyway). But ill keep an eye on that. I went out against juve in the CL (offcours they got 2 penalties...) and against liverpool on penalties in the FA cup, so I could live with that in the first season I won the title

Edited by eXistenZ