Predict the England 2022 World Cup squad

Not sure what happens to the threads in this sub forum once it closes so maybe better in the FF, but thought it would be interesting to predict this and then look back on it. Obviously only 18 months really until the next tournament so drastic changes unlikely. 

I think the main points of debate will be whether Walker, Trippier or Henderson still get in what will presumably be a 23 man squad for the winter World Cup. Hard to say how much some of the others crack on in that timeframe. 

For me the only nailed ons regardless of form that I think he would take etc are: 

Pickford, Maguire, Stones, Shaw, Mount, Foden, Kane and Sterling. 

For the squad I think we end up with I’m going for: 

England 2022 Squad 

Pickford 

Johnstone 

Henderson 

James 

Maguire 

Stones

Mings 

White

Shaw 

Trippier 

Walker

Rice

Phillips 

Bellingham 

Mount 

Grealish 

Foden

Sterling 

Sancho 

Saka 

Rashford 

Kane 

Watkins 

Edited by PaulHartman71

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

TAA will go

And I think Tomori will be in there too

I think if Trippier or Walker don’t go then Wan Bissaka will go 

Tomori actually a great shout though 

Edited by PaulHartman71

Greenwood should be a lot more ready by then and I can't see Trent being left out unless his form's horrible, especially not given Gareth still likes wingbacks for big games. Joe Gomez and Ezri Konsa might have moved a long way ahead of Mings too.

18 months is a long time in football though. Walker could lose a yard of his pace, Alli could look like a proper footballer again, Mount could be stuck on the bench at Chelsea and Stones could have slipped behind Laporte in the City pecking order, Barnes/Maddison could be lighting up the Premier League, and someone like Toney could come from nowhere

Ivan Toney, thats the wildcard.

He will notch 38 this year, but Brentford still go down.

Makes his England debut in some sort of game, hits a treble.

In the following summer signs for Chelsea, 74.5m.

Is it what 10-12 games before Qatar? He scores 12, with the Blues likening him to a young Mark Stein.

29 minutes ago, bestbrother said:

Is it what 10-12 games before Qatar? 

I make it 15 according to the last calendar I saw:

• Sept 21 - WCQ (3)
  • Oct 21 - WCQ (2)
  • Nov 21 - WCQ (2)
  • Mar 22 - WC playoffs or friendlies (2)
  • Jun 22 - Nations League (4)
  • Sept 22 - Nations League (2)

Release of players for the WC in mid-November so there is no October international break. Also no time for any warmup friendlies pre-tournament either I don’t think, just straight from the domestic calendar one weekend to the start of the World Cup the next. Crazy really.

Although we might have another couple of random friendlies in January. They have missed so many qualifiers due to covid in South America and Asia etc. that FIFA have signed off an emergency international window to catch up. Currently no UEFA games gone in but there is a weekend carved out with no PL games.

1 hour ago, bestbrother said:

Ivan Toney, thats the wildcard.

He will notch 38 this year, but Brentford still go down.

Makes his England debut in some sort of game, hits a treble.

In the following summer signs for Chelsea, 74.5m.

Is it what 10-12 games before Qatar? He scores 12, with the Blues likening him to a young Mark Stein.

50 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

Yep. 100%. Can see him going Dortmund or something and absolutely tearing it up.

Imagine if Dortmund get £100M + Hudson Odoi and Abraham for Haaland. 

Both go there and smash it up, Dortmund sell each back to United, City or Liverpool for £70M in a few years :D 

Probably see Eberechi Eze in the September squad given that he was in line for the EC warmup games before an injury. In September there are three games crammed into a week instead of two. Still catching up some of the fixtures delayed due to covid... so probably going to see 30-odd names.

First home game back is against Andorra, sandwiched between tricky aways in Hungary and Poland. So probably some youngsters and fringe players coming in to take care of that one even though they will pack Wembley out based on it being some sort of “homecoming” for Kane and Sterling et al.

Well let's think how wrong we were about this squad even last year. Could see a relative unknown spring up out of nowhere and get a call up.

Edited by Heartwork

Lets see who I blatantly miss out...

Pickford
Pope
Henderson

TAA/James
Walker
Trippier
Maguire
Stones
White
Chilwell
Shaw

Phillips
Henderson
Rice
Mount
Bellingham

Barnes
Sancho
Sterling
Foden
Grealish

Kane
Calvert-Lewin

I'm surprised Greenwood doesn't get mentioned as much. He was in the pre tournament squad before pulling out with injury and for me would be someone great to bring on if you're chasing a game.

I'd love to see him play through the middle more for United which would mean he could be Kane's back up plus still be useful on the wings. 

On 13/07/2021 at 13:14, PaulHartman71 said:

I think if Trippier or Walker don’t go then Wan Bissaka will go 

I thought Wan Bissaka was considering DR Congo instead of England?

13 minutes ago, Wolf_pd said:

I thought Wan Bissaka was considering DR Congo instead of England?

He is but not committed yet.

Could see Madueke as a wildcard if he gets his move to Dortmund.

Edited by Heartwork

7 hours ago, Rob1981 said:

Probably see Eberechi Eze in the September squad given that he was in line for the EC warmup games before an injury. In September there are three games crammed into a week instead of two. Still catching up some of the fixtures delayed due to covid... so probably going to see 30-odd names.

First home game back is against Andorra, sandwiched between tricky aways in Hungary and Poland. So probably some youngsters and fringe players coming in to take care of that one even though they will pack Wembley out based on it being some sort of “homecoming” for Kane and Sterling et al.

Eze's out until the new year isn't he?