Does Southgate deserve a knighthood?

Should he get one?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Either yes or no

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/07/21 at 09:42

Off the back of this, interested to see what the view is on here. 

I am somewhat conflicted as I think to some extent knighthood should probably only go to England players/managers if they win something, but also Eric Pickles has a knighthood and I know who’s done more for this country than him or Southgate. 

I think sporting wise it’s slightly debatable even if he’s the best manager we’ve had in a very long time results wise, but for what he’s created culturally with the squad and the country I would definitely give him one now whilst the iron is hot as we could go out at the group stage of the World Cup and then his legacy is spoiled before he gets the chance to get the knighthood. 

I would probably say ‘not yet’.

If he goes on to win a major tournament or moves into an upstairs role at the FA and continues providing services to the sport then yeah, go for it.

Not that I particularly agree with knighthoods anyway, but prefer if they go to sportsmen who have made a historic achievement like Cook, Strauss, Murray etc. Even then you could argue Hamilton should be ahead of Southgate. 

6 minutes ago, Bigwig said:

I would probably say ‘not yet’.

If he goes on to win a major tournament or moves into an upstairs role at the FA and continues providing services to the sport then yeah, go for it.

Not that I particularly agree with knighthoods anyway, but prefer if they go to sportsmen who have made a historic achievement like Cook, Strauss, Murray etc. Even then you could argue Hamilton should be ahead of Southgate. 

This is spot on.

• SI Staff

I'm anti monarchy but said yes anyway. Would likely be getting one anyway had he won the Euros for us.

24 minutes ago, Bigwig said:

Shouldn’t Rob be banned for having 5 alias accounts?

Rumbled. Playing the long con juggling different accounts for 20 years. All so I can trumpet Gareth Southgate’s management at a future World Cup and make it look like a few other people agree with me.

Just a shame I decativated HarryNotRoy2012 and RecallForOwen07.

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

I'm anti monarchy but said yes anyway. Would likely be getting one anyway had he won the Euros for us.

I'm pro monarchy and said no :lol:.  I think the idea of knighthoods seem a bit out of date now - it's one of the things i'd scrap altogher to be honest.  Not that i'll be able to scrap them I guess :D

Did Brian Ashton or Eddie Jones get knighted for taking England to Rugby World Cup Finals (but not winning them)? No.

Trevor Bayliss got an OBE for winning a Cricket World Cup Final, but no knighthood.

I'm a monarchist who still supports knighthoods/damehoods for British sports stars who reach the top of their field (e.g. Murray, Hamilton, Cook, Ennis-Hill). Southgate has not done that yet.

Yes.

I think people are focusing too much on the winning and not what he's achieved. I think the way he's helped turn around English football and most importantly, the way he's represented the squad throughout the taking of the knee makes him "deserving"

For me that's more important than if he had won the Euro's but not shown that strength of character.

However, the monarch is **** and I don't care about individual titles. Knighting people is outdated and is meaningless. So I don't actually care

Edited by ajw10

Should he get a knighthood? Hell No. 

Should he get one in the future if he wins the WC or a Euros? Yes

Should knighthoods be scrapped? Yes and we replace them with some other honour like a British version of whatever that medal is that they give the heroes at the end of Hollywood action movies

On 14/07/2021 at 01:59, VamPook said:

Semi finals last round

Finals this round

Next round...

23 hours ago, Federico said:

Quarter-finals

I would say first round? The cycle starts anew.

24 minuti fa, Wolf_pd ha scritto:

I would say first round? The cycle starts anew.

I don't know, as Italy we reached the semi-finals in 1990, finals in 1994, so I thought that 1998 would have been our chance but our run ended up on quarter-finals on penalty shootouts.

For the third time in a row. Better being eliminated on group stage, believe me.

I've just thought. Maybe Southgate played a tactical masterstroke. He knew England would lose on penalties, but he put it on the shoulders of the youngest penalty takers, in order that they will do what he did- determined to come back and succeed.