Jump to content

Does player's preferred foot matter in central positions (CM, CB)?


Recommended Posts

I play with a 4231 with a DLP(D) and BBM, is it important to have a left footed player on the left and a right footed player on the right or it doesn't matter? Likewise with center backs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, IggyBug said:

I play with a 4231 with a DLP(D) and BBM, is it important to have a left footed player on the left and a right footed player on the right or it doesn't matter? Likewise with center backs.

I dont think its super important, but players sometimes do prefer playing on the left or right, you can check that with hovering over "the green position dot" in the players menu. 

image.png.2856863f14294add2b84dbf65a838395.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

A right footed player on the right (or left/left) will have an easier time shielding the ball from an opponent on the midfield side of them (in this case, the opposing CM) because their body is between the opponent and the ball. However, a player on their "opposite" side of midfield can have more passing lanes towards the center of the pitch.

Edited by Prolix
Link to post
Share on other sites

Central midfielders and BPD, they tend to dribble in the direction based on their preferred foot because of shielding the ball from their marker with their weak foot. When they make runs like that, it changes the shape of yours as well as opponent's formation. I felt that matching their foot has significant effect on opening up defenses especially when you have IF/IW playing in front of them. When your CM dribble to the wide areas, they make space for IF/IW to cut inside.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, CARRERA said:

I dont think its super important, but players sometimes do prefer playing on the left or right, you can check that with hovering over "the green position dot" in the players menu. 

image.png.2856863f14294add2b84dbf65a838395.png

Isn't that only for the benefit of AI managers? Could be wrong but never noticed any difference in performance when playing someone not in their preferred side of a central pairing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, CARRERA said:

I dont think its super important, but players sometimes do prefer playing on the left or right, you can check that with hovering over "the green position dot" in the players menu. 

image.png.2856863f14294add2b84dbf65a838395.png

That doesn't have any direct effect, btw. Those preferences are mostly based on footedness. It helps AI team selection (especially where it's been set in the database) but there's no direct penalty for playing a player on the 'other' side.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HUNT3R said:

That doesn't have any direct effect, btw. Those preferences are mostly based on footedness. It helps AI team selection (especially where it's been set in the database) but there's no direct penalty for playing a player on the 'other' side.

Ah ok, didn’t know that. Thanks :-)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know in real life playing two left footers at cb is not a good idea but I don’t think it makes a difference in game

Edited by _mxrky
Link to post
Share on other sites

In some positions the footedness matters because of what it can bring to the role. For example. Say you aree playing a WB (L) and he is on the right flank. Then this player is likely to favour cutting inside. So it gives you options like IWBs who cut inside and stay inside.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/07/2021 at 07:27, _mxrky said:

I know in real life playing two left footers at cb is not a good idea but I don’t think it makes a difference in game

? That can't be a thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wazzaflow10 said:

? That can't be a thing.

It is. Left footers can’t make certain passing angles that right footers can

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, _mxrky said:

It is. Left footers can’t make certain passing angles that right footers can

Wouldn't the same logic apply to two right footed CB's then?

Link to post
Share on other sites

For cm's and dm's it don't matter that much

For cb's thought, it's very important since it impact how players move backwards in the ME, for example using two right footed cb's and a left footed lb, will create a small gap between the lcb and the lb that can be exploited 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/07/2021 at 16:02, wazzaflow10 said:

Wouldn't the same logic apply to two right footed CB's then?

Right footers tend to have stronger weaker foots than left footed players 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, _mxrky said:

Right footers tend to have stronger weaker foots than left footed players 

Are you able to back this up with evidence??

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...