I'm playing FM Touch 20 if it helps, but I just wanted to know how you guys set up against possession based teams? I try to dominate possession myself in my current save at Stoke in the Championship, but occasionally I have come up against sides who do it better than me, and I can barely get the ball. I'm tempted to have a 2nd system of counter attacking and abandon the passing style against them, but I would very much like to hear the thoughts of this fab community where I have been a member longer than most haha.

Cheers everyone.

Don’t deviate too much from your norm. Obviously I don’t have your tactics to view, but here are a few things I’ll do mostly around breaking up build up pay as deep as possible.

-positionally match your front line with their back. Two hard working strikers can force the keeper to either play wide or bypass central defenders in a 2CB system. 
-man mark 1-2 key play making types. Do consider positional proximity and check your set pieces. Example is utilizing AMC to mark defensive midfield playmaker. take away goalkeeper wide option by man marking full backs with wingers. Make sure to have structure behind these man marks or you’ll look like Leeds against ManU. Doing the latter man marking tactic will also keep wingers in prime counter attacking if you win possession before fullbacks can get too advanced 

18 hours ago, s0ni42 said:

Don’t deviate too much from your norm. Obviously I don’t have your tactics to view, but here are a few things I’ll do mostly around breaking up build up pay as deep as possible.

-positionally match your front line with their back. Two hard working strikers can force the keeper to either play wide or bypass central defenders in a 2CB system. 
-man mark 1-2 key play making types. Do consider positional proximity and check your set pieces. Example is utilizing AMC to mark defensive midfield playmaker. take away goalkeeper wide option by man marking full backs with wingers. Make sure to have structure behind these man marks or you’ll look like Leeds against ManU. Doing the latter man marking tactic will also keep wingers in prime counter attacking if you win possession before fullbacks can get too advanced 

Brilliant advice! Thank you! All makes perfect sense. I'll try to incorporate all these.

Do you also tend to keep the formation the same whoever you play, but have multiple tactics to use with this formation, depending on the opposition?

Well sort of depends on the profile coach  I am impersonation. I have had saves where I am extremely flexible and others where I am not so.

typically I have a base formation (or structure) that I apply small tweaks or changes to that either compensate or take advantage of something the opponent does or something my selected 11 may offer.

but more simply put the exact same tactic in every instance is rarely used more than once. It all looks mostly the the same (343, 4231, 442, etc.) but the roles and instructions certainly get tweaked on a per game basis.