Match 51 THE FINAL: Italy vs England - 8pm Sunday BBC1 AND ITV1 LIVE FROM WEMBLEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We can't be sure Grealish didn't volunteer and get told no. But I find it strange he got brought on ahead of Sancho or Rashford if Southgate didn't want him taking a penalty. 

1 minute ago, Rob1981 said:

Yeah, 30 million people hurting tonight but you focus on the handful of idiots so you can fist yourself off on the moral high ground. Well done 👍

Not as much as a few will be feeling after getting a real hiding.

1 minute ago, ajw10 said:

Yeah of all the players I'm annoyed at Grealish the most. Some of it isn't him, it's the hype on here and in the public. However because Grealish plays on it, I have an issue with him.

Maybe his knee injury was worse than thought? Managed to get through the end of the match on adrenaline alone but once the running stopped his knee packed up. I don't know either way but that's one theory.

Just now, brez22 said:

We can't be sure Grealish didn't volunteer and get told no. But I find it strange he got brought on ahead of Sancho or Rashford if Southgate didn't want him taking a penalty. 

Just thought the whole use of subs was awful. Forget penalties, it never should have got there

Just now, ajw10 said:

Yeah of all the players I'm annoyed at Grealish the most. Some of it isn't him, it's the hype on here and in the public. However because Grealish plays on it, I have an issue with him.

Jesus Christ man, perhaps Grealish is **** at penalties too?

1 minute ago, themadsheep2001 said:

If you bothered to read the thread instead of your usual false moralising, we've been ripping into it for all of the pre match build. So don't pretend you're somehow the only one talking about it 

I wasn't present at the start of the thread - only just got online after the match.

Just now, Bootador said:

Jesus Christ man, perhaps Grealish is **** at penalties too?

Doesn't matter.

Maybe it's the cultural difference, but a 19 year old who never took one in his career shouldn't be taking it over a 27 year old who acts like he's tough sh*t.

You never know with players, but I'd rather have seen Shaw and Stones take them then Saka. I think for the 4th and 5th you don't want 'proper' penalty takers, you want someone confident that they're going to get a clean contact in the top corner. 

1 minute ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Just thought the whole use of subs was awful. Forget penalties, it never should have got there

Yeah I agree. I wanted/knew we needed a second goal, I think everybody but Southgate did. We were stuck in a defensive rut and nothing he did changed it. 

2 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Mount needed to come off after 90.

5 minutes ago, profii said:

the bit I dont get is alllll the BBC pundits said pick your spot and dont change your mind but there were lots of silly run ups which indicates players who need to be reminded... pick you f'ing spot.

Sancho and Saka clearly picked their spots

1 minute ago, InigoPatinkin said:

You never know with players, but I'd rather have seen Shaw and Stones take them then Saka. I think for the 4th and 5th you don't want 'proper' penalty takers, you want someone confident that they're going to get a clean contact in the top corner. 

Shaw scored quite convincingly in the EL final didn't he. Given the wave he would have been on tonight i'd have been confident.

Just now, brez22 said:

Yeah I agree. I wanted/knew we needed a second goal, I think everybody but Southgate did. We were stuck in a defensive rut and nothing he did changed it. 

This is my issue as well. But as I've said, I'm just hoping he finally takes the hint that he needs to work on his in-game tactical changes, because playing for pens is suicide.

Btw, I don't want to hear any more talk of Kane being the man.

He's supposed to be the man, he's the captain and he was completely useless.

I don't care about some fancy passes 40m away from the goal.

You want to be considered the best striker in the world, you will yourself into at least one chance per game during occasions like these.

Edited by GunmaN1905

Southgate's cowardice finally caught up with him. Imagine having that bench but not making the changes because you're too scared to take off Kane and Sterling, who did precisely nothing between them all game.

He played for penalties rather than the win...that's amusing in its own right, even funnier when the players he brought on just for penalties both missed. 

Rashford's miss started the rot, if you want to emulate Simone Zaza, you have to score or you get the Zaza treatment.

Saka taking the last penalty is unforgivably bad management, especially as he had a stinker of a game so hardly goes into it with any confidence. We can specualte all day about the othrs that didn't take them; all I would say is if Sterling and Phillips weren't going to take penalties, why on earth were they still on the pitch at the end?

The only thing I expected that didn;t happen was Pickford screwing up. Felt a bit bad for him after that penalty save from Jorginho which should have kep England in it and with all the momentum. But only a bit bad, he's still a colossal **** who ended van Dijk's season because of sheer rashness and stupidity.

Oh well.

2 minutes ago, InigoPatinkin said:

Wouldn’t want Shaw anywhere near it, he was bricking it. His EL final penalty was the worst in the shootout, only just went in 

3 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Doesn't matter.

Maybe it's the cultural difference, but a 19 year old who never took one in his career shouldn't be taking it over a 27 year old who acts like he's tough sh*t.

A 27 year old, who has taken 1 in his career and missed it. Saka shouldn't be the 5th taker, but let's assume Grealish isn't great at penalties if at the age of 27 he's only taken one for his boyhood club.

Surely no manager forces a player to take a penalty? Especially a people one like Southgate

Probably just asks who wants to take one and decide from there

Down to the experienced players not stepping up

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

You want to be considered the best striker in the world, you will yourself into at least one chance per game during occasions like these.

So glad someone else feels this way.

I've never seen such a casual captain, he was just casually jogging most the second half.

Lift the team up, put in some fighting spirit, you're in a bloody final!

1 minute ago, SpillBlood said:

I've never seen such a casual captain, he was just casually jogging most the second half.

His impact deep died off. And he didn't then go and occupy the centre backs. Really weird

4 minutes ago, Bootador said:

A 27 year old, who has taken 1 in his career and missed it. Saka shouldn't be the 5th taker, but let's assume Grealish isn't great at penalties if at the age of 27 he's only taken one for his boyhood club.

A player with his supposed "incredible" technique should be able to take a pen

2 minutes ago, SpillBlood said:

Casual, perfect world.

I guess he's just that type of player and character.

But even when he's scoring and playing well, he always seems stuck in 2nd gear. And that has nothing to do with his lack of pace.

He didn't win a single aerial duel today, fell whenever he felt the slightest contact, just awful.

I don't see why is he the captain. Shows no captain qualities.

Just now, themadsheep2001 said:

His impact deep died off. And he didn't then go and occupy the centre backs. Really weird

And then you could see Maguire getting more and more annoyed that he had no outlet to play the ball too.

I was impressed by our back line this Euros.  Walker defensively has been a wall,  Maguire/Stones been brilliant and Shaw has been ace.

After that it just goes a bit tits up.

5 minutes ago, metal_guitarist said:

Wouldn’t want Shaw anywhere near it, he was bricking it. His EL final penalty was the worst in the shootout, only just went in 

He kept it low and hard, would have taken a very good save to keep it out. That's what you want at that stage of a shootout. 

7 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

I think this is nonsense to be honest and im no Kane super fan.  

Short of dribbling from his own half what exactly could he do? The team lacked progression and possession throughout and in fact if he's not bossing Chiellini in the air(which he did a few times) and doing a great job of holding the ball then it would have been much harder for England. 

There is a genuine question about his pace, especially as he gets older but thats the managers job to support him with by giving him runners, in past matches that has been Sterling but tonight he was 30 yards deeper than he has been.

Edited by brez22

3 minutes ago, VamPook said:

Surely no manager forces a player to take a penalty? Especially a people one like Southgate

Probably just asks who wants to take one and decide from there

Down to the experienced players not stepping up

Nah it was all Southgate.

Sterling, Grealish, Stones etc all wanted to take it but Gareth said no lads, the 19 year old who's never taken one in his life has got this.

Just now, SpillBlood said:

And then you could see Maguire getting more and more annoyed that he had no outlet to play the ball too.

I was impressed by our back line this Euros.  Walker defensively has been a wall,  Maguire/Stones been brilliant and Shaw has been ace.

After that it just goes a bit tits up.

The midfield 2 were excellent, we've just lacked the linkup between them and the forwards. Kane was doing that for about 20 minutes tonight but then Trippier started to drop way to deep. 

Just now, pearcey_90 said:

Grealish **** on AJW doorstep this weekend?

**** got no right to have a haircut like that unless he's taking penalties in the Euro final!

2 minutes ago, eenie said:

Pens aren't really about technique though, are they?

If you can make one-touch pinpoint passes between multiple defenders, you should be able to hit the corner of the goal from the spot.

Just now, Bootador said:

**** got no right to have a haircut like that unless he's taking penalties in the Euro final!

Can't wear socks in Totti's style!

Edited by GunmaN1905

4 minutes ago, Carambau said:

"The only existing player"... so the other players were all just in our imagination... I see now.

England U21 - Italy U21, Mar 24, 2007 - International Friendlies - Match sheet | Transfermarkt

Lee Camp; Liam Rosenior, Anton Ferdinand, Gary Cahill, Leighton Baines; Kieran Richardson, Nigel Reo-Coker; David Bentley, Wayne Routledge, Gabriel Agbonlahor; Leroy Lita

Ben Alnwick, Joe Hart, Liam Ridgewell, Justin Hoyte, Lee Cattermole, Tom Huddlestone, James Milner, Ashley Young, Matt Derbyshire, Cameron Jerome

Gianluca Curci; Alessandro Potenza, Marco Andreolli, Andrea Mantovani, Giorgio Chiellini; Antonio Nocerino, Riccardo Montolivo, Simone Padoin; Alessandro Rosina, Giampaolo Pazzini, Giuseppe Rossi

Emiliano Viviano, Andrea Coda, Andrea Raggi, Domenico Criscito, Raffaele de Martino, Daniele Dessena, Andrea Lazzari, Gabriele Paonessa, Arturo Lupoli, Graziano Pellè

Some blasts from the past.

Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

If you can make one-touch pinpoint passes between multiple defenders, you should be able to hit the corner of the goal from the spot.

And yet some can't, because penalties aren't just exercises in technical striking. If they were Beckham, Zidane, Messi etc. would never have missed a penalty. 

Pens are pens...complete lottery, plenty of experienced players have ballooned them over before.  Is a bit weird to put Saka on at the end of them, but then it's stage not age innit.   Gutted though, I thought we had it even in pens with how it started.  Amazing from England though, and the best team generall won there as Italy were very good, but we have a future at least now.  Grealish I think won't ever become a starter, it's surely got to be Foden going ahead and I think both are ace, I just don't see how Grealish comes back here from this unless he moves and becomes phenomenal which he could well do.