Match 51 THE FINAL: Italy vs England - 8pm Sunday BBC1 AND ITV1 LIVE FROM WEMBLEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It could have been all songs in the street, it was nearly complete

Can't watch the game, I'm working in the night shift, got the inventory going, and it's audited aswell. **** them. :seagull:

The Glesga Italian community have hung their colours out. They'll be significantly larger this weekend I imagine. Great to see the passion! 

I genuinely have enjoyed seeing football bring (most) people together in England. It's a country that is as passionate about the beautiful game as I am. I can totally relate to the way you feel ahead of this; I felt it in the UEFA Cup final of 2003, when Celtic reached their first European final since 1970. It felt like we waited forever for the game to come around and we ended up losing in extra time to Mourinho's Porto. Never been able to truly get over it. So I wish you all the best (and our Italian posters). Never take these occasions for granted. 

I will echo the OP in that there has been some good chat on this forum during the tournament, it's only really been this place or podcasts for me, barely even any football websites.

I think whoever takes the lead will be very conservative, I don't know whether that will bring on pressure or see them control it. I know Italy have had a couple disallowed but both teams have had chances from set pieces so it could go either way. Chiesa is the only Italian attacker who looks dangerous on his own, the others rely on the team creating space and you'd think we'd be clever enough not to allow Insigne onto his right. 

I can't work out my emotional state with England, I couldn't concentrate on anything in Wednesday and I've been glad I booked this week off yet I don't have the extreme highs and lows during the match itself. When I posted that I'd rather get to the final and other people said they were affected for days afterwards, I genuinely can't imagine feeling like that about football. 

39 minutes ago, The_jagster said:

I can't work out my emotional state with England, I couldn't concentrate on anything in Wednesday and I've been glad I booked this week off yet I don't have the extreme highs and lows during the match itself. When I posted that I'd rather get to the final and other people said they were affected for days afterwards, I genuinely can't imagine feeling like that about football. 

I feel like I peaked with the Germany game, was properly drained by the end of it.

6 minutes ago, Weezer said:

Is anybody else irritated by the fact that the final match is a random, and odd, number 51 instead of a nice even 50?

tbh I get irritated by the constant references to "making history".  "England MAKE HISTORY by reaching the final" etc.

I mean they would still make history by losing in the semi final, or going out in the groups, or failing to qualify altogether.

History is literally just a record of what has happened.

Maybe I am overthinking it.

2 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

tbh I get irritated by the constant references to "making history".  "England MAKE HISTORY by reaching the final" etc.

I mean they would still make history by losing in the semi final, or going out in the groups, or failing to qualify altogether.

History is literally just a record of what has happened.

Maybe I am overthinking it.

I think “making history” is about doing something for the first time. We have made history here, because we’re in a Euros final for the first time.

Boy is this going to be something, I think I’ll enjoy it win or lose - just something to experience. The semi final was immensely stressful, the final is just going to be party time.

My mates and I, after days of hunting, have booked a pub for the final. Tables are outdoors and uncovered, so it best not rain :D 

Not sure if it's sunk in yet that we're in a major final. 

To those saying they'll enjoy it whether we win or lose, not sure I'm of that opinion, I mean, finals are stressful no? Surely you would only enjoy it if you've won at the end? 

I don't think this thread is complete without a compilation of the most beautiful dives from both sides.

Let's start with Italy:

and who can forget the famous de Rossi dive:

last but not least, Grosso's famous dive to cheat Australia out of the 2006 WC

The English are pretty skilled at the art of diving themselves:

and of course, Alli's role model, Steven Gerrard

And of course, this masterful piece that got them into the final:

It's not like there isn't enough footage of Sterling training up this moment:

They've learned this at the Dave Wilson School:

Great start for a thread, as always, @Coulthard's Jaw

I've never experienced a final with the national (football) team, so I am utterly stumped as to how I am meant to feel. I don't think my head could take extra time and penalties. 

Might have to break my 12+ years rule of not drinking on a night when I have work the next day.

Whatever happens, I am so proud of this manager, this team and the way they have stood up for what they believe in, in a chaotic world. Wonder how many idiots will boo them when they take the knee on Sunday. 

If we lose to a better team on the day, then I can accept that. 

Though I have a gut feeling that we will win it 2-0.

I have vague memories of 1998 and Euro 2000, but my main England memories are definitely 2002 onwards. I really thought we'd win it that year, and in 2004, partially due to being an optimistic 10/12 year old. But outside of that, I've never really felt like we were massively close. Even in 2006 when people were talking about our chances, I just didn't see it. Not because I was some super football genius at 14 or anything, and I'm sure as hell not now, it just felt like other teams were just better.

2008 to 2016 I don't think we need any more posts discussing what a shambles all that was for a variety of reasons. I was against the Southgate appointment, but 2018 is the first time I can really remember more than just a bit of hope. Obviously we fell short, but it was nice to have something for once. And now this tournament has just been such a good experience, topped off by having a Leeds player playing nearly every minute which has just added to the attachment, especially one who people were absolutely slating not long ago before Bielsa came: (spoilered cause swearing)

Spoiler

WSKG0Au.png

7jU1TUr.png

UiiXZiJ.png

Maybe we'll lose on Sunday but hopes for winning a tournament at some point have never been higher.

Edited by Pukey

2 hours ago, craigcwwe said:

It's all coming up Southgate.

I don't get why they would do that, I don't think there is a conspiracy but they don't have refs do a semi and the final in the same tournament, so why do it with VAR?

10 hours ago, Weezer said:

Is anybody else irritated by the fact that the final match is a random, and odd, number 51 instead of a nice even 50?

Pretty easy to forget England v Scotland happened so just lose that one 😂🤣😂

5 hours ago, Wiggins Top Boys said:

This is a serious newspaper

That is a bit sad :D

It's all a bit odd. Even seeing people say the wont watch the game. Assume it's tongue in cheek but imagine a football fan not watching the biggest football game of the year because you don't like the team in it.

7 hours ago, Wiggins Top Boys said:

I don't quite get it. It looks like they want Italy to win, but then they say they can't take another 55 years of them banging on about it. Well, if they lose, they'll bang on about the x years of hurt for probably another 55 years. Are they saying if England win they'd bang on about having won something for the next 55 years? It doesn't make much sense. Win or lose, they'll be banging on about something.

I’m hugely confident we’ll get the job done rather easily for a final circumstance. 2-0.

Had my doubts pre tournament, but after putting the games and performances together it’s created a whole picture. Of a side that’s super confident in their style/plan, and just going through game after game. 

Denmark was the final test. Nervous start, then going behind. Could’ve crumbled and rushed things as game went on, instead gathered ourselves quickly and got right back into the game. Then as we went for the winner, wasn’t some panic stuff, just kept chipping away and eventually scored in ET and the actual ET was easy stuff because of again how the players managed the overall situation.

Italy are a top team, and themselves in great form. But we have so many options to change things in attack, and our calm approach I can just see us doing it. The mental thing for us isn’t about winning the final, it was all about getting there. We’ve done that, so I think people will see another level of performance tomorrow night from the boys. 

Edited by pearcey_90

59 minutes ago, The Amazing Dale Watkins said:

I don't quite get it. It looks like they want Italy to win, but then they say they can't take another 55 years of them banging on about it. Well, if they lose, they'll bang on about the x years of hurt for probably another 55 years. Are they saying if England win they'd bang on about having won something for the next 55 years? It doesn't make much sense. Win or lose, they'll be banging on about something.

I wouldn't read too much into it. It's tongue in cheek. 

1 hour ago, pearcey_90 said:

I’m hugely confident we’ll get the job done rather easily for a final circumstance. 2-0.

Had my doubts pre tournament, but after putting the games and performances together it’s created a whole picture. Of a side that’s super confident in their style/plan, and just going through game after game. 

Denmark was the final test. Nervous start, then going behind. Could’ve crumbled and rushed things as game went on, instead gathered ourselves quickly and got right back into the game. Then as we went for the winner, wasn’t some panic stuff, just kept chipping away and eventually scored in ET and the actual ET was easy stuff because of again how the players managed the overall situation.

Italy are a top team, and themselves in great form. But we have so many options to change things in attack, and our calm approach I can just see us doing it. The mental thing for us isn’t about winning the final, it was all about getting there. We’ve done that, so I think people will see another level of performance tomorrow night from the boys. 

Pearcey gone from near meltdown in the group stages to this :***). Beautiful. Southgate is bringing it home.

1 hour ago, Smallen said:

Pearcey gone from near meltdown in the group stages to this :***). Beautiful. Southgate is bringing it home.

Germany was the acid test. Granted game was still quite even in terms of big chances before we made it 2-0, but we just were super composed which is anything like the England sides from previous years, and the step up that got me backing Southgate decision process. Always fell short in those games in past under him, but that was one where you could finally 100% see the progression and the players fully into whatever Southgate picks.

He’d be a proper ***** club manager, but International is different game and he’s thankfully got me changing my opinion on him for England :)  

11 hours ago, Wiggins Top Boys said:

it's not really, it's known as a "comic" by people up here who have brains

if England win the final, it doesn't change my life in the slightest so I don't know why anyone would honestly care, some people will celebrate and some people will get medals out of it from the Queen

Edited by TM

12 hours ago, Wiggins Top Boys said:

Obviously it isn't. ;) 

51 minutes ago, pearcey_90 said:

Germany was the acid test. Granted game was still quite even in terms of big chances before we made it 2-0, but we just were super composed which is anything like the England sides from previous years, and the step up that got me backing Southgate decision process. Always fell short in those games in past under him, but that was one where you could finally 100% see the progression and the players fully into whatever Southgate picks.

He’d be a proper ***** club manager, but International is different game and he’s thankfully got me changing my opinion on him for England :)  

Is he though? He's not been a club manager or 12 years. He went straight into the job from his playing days so that's harsh to say. There's no doubt he's a better manager now than he was back then. 

2 hours ago, ryan045 said:

Apparently Chiesa is a doubt for Sunday. Huge for us he’s out, he’s been Italy’s game changer. Would be happy if Beradi takes his place.

If he’s out injured you have to start seriously considering if Southgate has actually made a deal with the devil.

3 hours ago, ryan045 said:

Apparently Chiesa is a doubt for Sunday. Huge for us he’s out, he’s been Italy’s game changer. Would be happy if Beradi takes his place.

Where have you seen that? I can’t find any reference - very big news if true though.

3 hours ago, ryan045 said:

Berardi to score a hat-trick, bought by Liverpool for £40m and does nothing in the PL next season :cool: