block passing lines to player "x" (opposition instruction)

dieguitoch

I would like to have the possibility to block passing lines to an opposition player.  From the second half of the Italy vs. Spain game (Euro semi-final), when the spanish had the possession, there nearly always was a player between the ball carrier and Busquest (most of time Insigne). Liverpool and other teams used the same type of instructions against Messi. In FM, you can only ask to mark a player which positioned our player between this player and the goal or to press him but it would really be useful to be ale to block passing lines. It seems to be often used IRL against playmakers.

Thanks....

What do you think this is EA's FIFA? You're really asking a lot here :herman:

Seriously though, this request should have loads of likes, but I personally believe the ME for 2023 is already 90% set and any suggestion here that they like (if that even happens) will be for 2024. 

Most fans don't notice things like what you mentioned in regards to how certain players are restricted in different ways by the opponent. If they notice it it is only when that player is being tightly man-marked old school style. 

Even many Liverpool fans think Klopp's gegenpressing is pure impulse opportunism, when in fact it involves a lot of opponent specific sequences in which blocking passing lanes is a very crucial component. One of the most used features is creating a bait in the form of giving up an easy pass to an unmarked player that is in fact the pressing target. There are also several triggers in the press that other LFC players watch for and react to and the group begins their press at specific times in relation to their teammates.

Lallana got a lot of game time in the early Klopp days because of how quickly he learned the gegenpress system. It took Fabinho a long time to master it. It is quite complex and while I didn't expect FM to have mastered the replication of it (and other complex systems out there) I at least expected them to make an attempt at replicating it. Just creating an intelligent approach to blocking passing lanes during a press by teammates would be a huge step forward. Man City play more long balls vs Liverpool than against any other side, domestic or European, because of how well Klopp's men press.

Would love to see pressing become part of the tactical battle in FM that it is IRL and blocking passing lanes is an essential part of that.

Sadly I think we are at least 5 to 7 versions of FM way before we see anything like that. 

I understand that to replicate real life tactics is complicated but I hope that the game will go in this direction to give us more options in the future. I guess that the problem is that some users don't want it to be too complex and the other difficulty is to make the AI use it properly so the game doesn't become too easy for people who are good at it ! So let's be patient and cross our fingers !

• 2 weeks later...