Player Sent Off in Friendly

Was just playing a pre-season friendly and had a defender sent off. It made me realize that you should be able to replace this player with someone off the bench (strictly for friendlies obviously) because these matches are about working out tactics and player development, and playing a man down sort of defeats the purpose. 

Edited by lcutini

• SI Staff
54 minutes ago, lcutini said:

Was just playing a pre-season friendly and had a defender sent off. It made me realize that you should be able to replace this player with someone off the bench (strictly for friendlies obviously) because these matches are about working out tactics and player development, and playing a man down sort of defeats the purpose. 

That's how it works in real-life ... so that is how it works in the game I'm afraid.

3 hours ago, Marc Vaughan said:

That's how it works in real-life ... so that is how it works in the game I'm afraid.

My bad 😳 A couple years ago Vancouver Whitecaps had their preseason training and games at my university and those matches were so informal I just assumed they would rather keep playing 11 v 11 (even though I never saw a red card then). I definitely had those games in mind when I was playing my friendly earlier. Thanks for the reply!

• SI Staff
6 hours ago, lcutini said:

My bad 😳 A couple years ago Vancouver Whitecaps had their preseason training and games at my university and those matches were so informal I just assumed they would rather keep playing 11 v 11 (even though I never saw a red card then). I definitely had those games in mind when I was playing my friendly earlier. Thanks for the reply!

No worries - I believe the reasoning is that having no punishment for bad behaviour would encourage it potentially in a few people ...