Getting more from the TQ in a 4231

I've started up an older save with Atletico Madrid and things are going well as I'm towards the top of the table and progressing in the Champions League, but I've been a bit disappointed with how my TQ is playing - not scoring nor assisting as much as I thought the player could do. And looking for some advice on whether there are any tweaks I could make with any instructions or roles that could help here. 

The Trequartista and Segundo Volante roles are two that I'm hoping can coexist in the same formation without stepping on each others toes too much 

Grateful for any ideas. 

image.thumb.png.d9db1a04d796b1cef9d5100922980128.png

You're packing players into the space that the trequartista operates in. The two inverted wingers are cutting into it, the complete forward dropping into it and the volante running into it. 

Re-think your roles, and focus on creating space and good passing options. 

Edit: Your current roles aren't providing very much penetration either, none of them will really attack the box. 

Edited by zZzZzZzZzZzZzZz

The go to thread for TQs in a 4231 is of course this, worth a read:

TL;DR is that a front 4 of:

AF

IFs-AMs-TQa

Works very well (with one holder and one support/runner behind).

Your tactics instructions are a little off, personally. I can't tell whether you're looking for it to be a counter attacking tactic, or patient possession, so I'd have a reassess of that as well.

I'm using a 4231 at the moment, sometimes switching to a 42DM31 with the DLP/BBM or DLP/VOL combo.

I use a front 4 of:

P (sometimes AF)

IFs-AMa-IWa 

The AMa gets very good ratings, decent goals and assists as well. You could try swapping in a TQ into the AMC slot or, wide on the right. If you are going to play cutting in wingers in a 4231 shape then  imo a poacher/AF/PFa would be best to stretch the play. 

Personally I don't think the TQ role is best suited to a 4231, as there is less space available up top. I prefer him wide or central in a 433, in a narrow front 3 of either AMc/2 STs or 2AMc/1ST, or he can work well in a front 2. 

Thanks for the feedback. I was going for more of a counter attacking tactic initially, but with time I think I’ve changed a few team instructions around and going more for possession. I will have a look at the those.

I hadn’t seen that thread before, will check it out! interesting what they go with, I hadn’t thought to try the TQ out wide, but Felix maybe could do that on the left and move around my other players for the AMs and IF roles. 

Equally will look at changing to an AM role. 

will have a look this evening and post back 

This is what I was thinking of trying, with the TQ on the right as Felix is comfortable with both feet and I've several players probably better on the left as an IF.  Also sticking with my combination of DLP-VOLin midfield. 

I've gone with more possession focused Tis, but this is an area of the game where I still tend too pick some that are either opposites to each other or don't fit the desired type of play

image.thumb.png.900d96fd5aad38ef424b4d61488e47fa.png

2 hours ago, Vega09 said:

This is what I was thinking of trying, with the TQ on the right as Felix is comfortable with both feet and I've several players probably better on the left as an IF.  Also sticking with my combination of DLP-VOLin midfield. 

I've gone with more possession focused Tis, but this is an area of the game where I still tend too pick some that are either opposites to each other or don't fit the desired type of play

image.thumb.png.900d96fd5aad38ef424b4d61488e47fa.png

Yes, I think that looks good (or better at least). But you should try it out and see :) I would also probably keep counter on, don't see why you wouldn't. And I'd also be tempted to play a normal 4231 instead of a 42DM31 with a team like Atleti but, again, see how the results are. I think you might be lacking penetration still but try it!