3rd Place match!

Icondacarver

I know these are used at the World Cup, Copa,  AFCON and Olympics and I personally love them as do many international fans while majority of European fans detest them and find the game pointless.

I think the reward of one more game after going all the way to the semi's is not a bad idea and can also give you a chance to play some squad members who got very little minutes in the run. Thinking of an Adama Traore for whom a game like that would be great if a final is not to be. If England failed today, it would mean we could use the game for DCL, Chilwell and White etc

Do you like or dislike the third place game and why?

1 minute ago, Bootador said:

I think it's a waste of time but there's 4 days between the semi and the final. Plenty of time to get another game in on TV, so I'd still do it for that reason.

Yup. It is a nothing game but still a game of football that I would definitely watch

9 hours ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Wasn't third place at EURO scrapped after a disgraceful shootout by two teams that didn't care?

Czechoslovakia was one for sure.

As for World Cup, a lot of smaller nations make the semi-final and all of them care about getting third.

Got scrapped after Euro 1980 I believe. 

I've watched England in three World Cup 3rd-place play-offs. That time the Lionesses beat Germany with a penalty in 2015 was quite cool, but as a supporter, it's really not fun to watch.

These games are often surprisingly entertaining (e.g. Germany vs Portugal in 2006), but when one team is clearly not motivated (see Brazil in 2014), you wonder why you bother with them in the first place.

I agree that these games are generally meaningless and should be scrapped from the World Cup - and certainly shouldn't be brought back for the Euros.

Nice when a host nation plays in the 3rd place game and has a final chance at redemption in front of the fans. Or when a Golden Boot winner pads their tally in it (i.e. Davor Suker).

Otherwise really only makes sense in Games tournaments like the Olympics where there are bronze medals to hand out