FM21: BODØ / GLIMT - We will make the northerners proud.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, MattyLewis11 said:

Absolutely, the future sell clause is an absolute must! That transfer to Sheffield must have been a cheeky surprise for you?  

I'm playing as Kobenhavn so not especially, no. :p

8 minutes ago, KlaaZ said:

I'm playing as Kobenhavn so not especially, no. :p

Of course you are, that's what I get for replying without having my morning coffee lol. 

@MattyLewis11 A tough group indeed but I think getting to the group stages and giving a good account of yourselves would still be classed as successful (should you not go any further).

Should the likes of Berg to continue to perform to his levels on the bigger stage, it'll only increase his value as it did with Hauge. How is his brother Runar developing for you? 

48 minutes ago, smplfc123 said:

@MattyLewis11 A tough group indeed but I think getting to the group stages and giving a good account of yourselves would still be classed as successful (should you not go any further).

Should the likes of Berg to continue to perform to his levels on the bigger stage, it'll only increase his value as it did with Hauge. How is his brother Runar developing for you? 

I couldn't agree more @smplfc123 I am buzzing to have actually made the group stages, if we'd have drawn a bigger team no doubt that could have been a different story. 

Saves are about progression, I'm in this for the long-haul and will strive to improve year on year. 

In terms of Runar, please see below;

Spoiler

image.png.61c766f5c2e4c2929e624fc64afc61a0.png

Runar has currently played 600+ minutes in the first team and will no doubt go on and break the 1000 minute mark in what can be considered as his break-out season.

As you'd expect most of these have come from the bench! 

image.png.bfdfa10d2007fe2c1f7100307b896ba4.png

Good to hear mate. I like an FM'er that appreciates success may not come instantly, makes the save more realistic.

And good to see Runar is developing nicely. After selling Tobias Gulliksen (one to keep an eye on maybe) for a whopping £7m to Schalke after season 2 with Stromgodset, I used some of the funds to bring in Runar and he was brilliant for me.

image.thumb.png.1f6ee934f6a4f6bd878760dd98bfbfdd.png

It was always going to happen, the rotated team ended up throwing away a 1-0 lead to see us lose our first game of the Eliteserien! What a beautiful run it has been time to bounce back with Milan our next game! 

I really enjoyed this read so far, both the analytical and reporting parts are very well written. Do you have an end goal set or you plan to just go with the flow? 

KUTGW

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, scarp said:

I really enjoyed this read so far, both the analytical and reporting parts are very well written. Do you have an end goal set or you plan to just go with the flow? 

KUTGW

Appreciated @scarp I guess I will need to sit down and think of some objectives so that the followers of the post have something a little more tangible.

I am thinking that the main aim of this save will be to boost the league ranking of the Eliteserien, in order to do this the aim is to ensure that the majority of transfer revenue is spent within the league to help others progress. (Nuts).

Of course I will need to establish some Bodø targets, obviously the main aim would revolve around Europe (need to do a bit of research).

I have designed a wall of fame which I will post at the end of each season for players who have secured their first International cap whilst at the club, so the population of this would also be a great achievement.

Edited by MattyLewis11

So after doing some thinking last night (watch out!) I have come up with the following objectives for the save which are are long-term.

Norway's Finest - Ok, historically Rosenborg are the most cultured team in Norway, they have qualified for Champions League football 19 times and also represented the country in the Europa League 12 times. Despite holding such an illustrious record they are yet to progress from the group stage in both competitions. 

Therefore objective one will be to beat this feat or accumulate more than 87 wins across both competitions, to beat their existing record.

Europe's Finest - going hand in hand with the above objective is the target of raising the clubs ranking against all European sides, to date the club sit in 255th place with regards to the club coefficients and the aim would be to strive to get the side into the top 30. 

Eliteserien Top Ten League - very much along the lines of what I wrote earlier, it would be amazing to help drive the overall league ranking of the Eliteserien to make the league a top ten league! In order to do this I will look to ensure that a large amount of transfer revenue is spent within the league to help keep the monies within our slosh! In theory this will make sure that other sides have the potential to strengthen their teams, making the quality of the competition grow over time, hopefully enabling sides to become more competitive in Europe. 

Create a club legend - Runar Berg currently has the most appearances for Glimt with 329 after two stints at the club! It would be a fantastic achievement to see a player break Berg's record and etch himself into club folklore. 

image.png.355f11fce4e973e4d255d05d926e4d1a.png

The Wall of Fame - I will also keep a wall of fame to document all players who secure their first International appearance whilst wearing the colours of Glimt, this is just a nice touch which will go to show how playing for Bodo can help to project players onto the International scene and become a foundation building block on individual careers. 

Failing at the first hurdle

1075803613_Capture1.PNG.755a5292d8cba6a91b70baf4fa5a3828.PNG

As you can see from the above we suffered defeat in our first UEL fixture proper against the Milan! This result comes as no surprise Milan have an estimated value of £243m compared to our £15m! One thing to take from the result was our fighting spirit which saw us finish the game with a late constellation gaol from Boeheim. 

Taking a deeper analysis into the game you will see how Milan managed to break us down, firstly this was through the flanks.

2098637736_Milankey.PNG.2745ead4bead12d7640faf4016d86947.PNG

The above image highlights the key passes from Milan, most of which come from the flanks, this is expected given the fact that we have force opponents outside when out of possession. However when looking at the replays of each action there is a trend that the majority of these passes come from free-kicks! Could it be that I am pressing with too much intensity or even that for the next game that I instruct players to stay on their feet with the view to decreasing the amount of fouls.

Bennacer.PNG.4378b93f4150f83407add56f1f6eb69f.PNG

The above image is the pass contributions from Ismael Bennacer, the midfielder was Milan's key player in the game, operating in a similar role to Berg. His ability to switch play in the final third is exceptional and no doubt his contribution is another factor which put our defensive block under significant pressure, forcing them to shift across the field in order to nullify the attacking threat and possible making a foul in the panic of the moment. 

I think the use tighter marking or a player instruction for our best destroyer to man mark Bennacer is a must! 

October 2020

As earlier reported, the month of October saw us experience our first taste of defeat, away at Haugesund. Their first team were too strong for our heavily rotated side (basically the U19's with a few fringe players), causing our lead in the Eliteserien to drop to eight points. Of course the masterplan backfired as we couldn't secure a victory in the opening group game of the UEL against Milan, the only benefit was that Besiktas and RK Wien ended up finishing up as a draw.

October.thumb.PNG.0ebde4f61f2550b7d7b8e8543753849c.PNGOctober.thumb.PNG.0ebde4f61f2550b7d7b8e8543753849c.PNG

Fortunately Glimt bounced back with a home victory against Stabaek before picking up three points against Besiktas. Erik Botheim opened the scoring in the 23rd minute before the Turkish side levelled the score in the 28th minute. There was plenty of shouts from the sideline to encourage the team, which paid dividends when man of the moment Botheim put us back in the lead, the Norwegian forward could have walked away with the match ball after we secured a penalty in the 92nd minute only to place the shot wide of the post! The route was completed deep into injury time (90+4) as Glimt countered with precision!

We finally announced ourselves in Europe and with Milan defeating SK Rapid 4-2, despite being sent down to ten men from the 11th minute as Romagnoli was given his marching orders, there was a real opportunity to seal second place.

November.PNG.83584fc8d368ae294408b16ccd8897d8.PNG

The fixtures come thick and fast in November, the three away games in a row will no doubt be a challenge! Hopefully we don't start to lose ground in the league, can you imagine if we end up blowing that 11 point lead!

Youth Intake

Intake.PNG.cd91ffa68c1b2ce35ac042bbe820fbe5.PNG

The youth intake was also announced which I am pretty happy with, taking into account the wording I am going to predict that there will be three players which will potentially have the highest PA. 

These are a Goalkeeper "looks a great prospect", a Wide Midfielder "looks a great prospect" and the Norwegian goalkeeper Rana who has "caught the eye". 

I hope you have enjoyed the update, I will provide the next one at the end of November and also choose one of the RK Wien games to conduct a micro analysis. 

Posted (edited)

November 2020

The month which had it all, there is no doubt that when reflecting on the season November will be a month which sticks out as a highlight of our season.

image.thumb.png.841f13cf213dec4df715fbccd7693751.png

Taking a look at our results in the Eliteserien you will notice that we managed to secure three wins and three draws, notably not dropping all points against 2nd and 3rd place (Kristiansund/Valerenga) basically ensures that we should lift the trophy come the end of the campaign.

Erik Botheim's grabbing a 74th minute equaliser to ensure Kristiansund didn't close the gap to the top to three points, the striker continuing the good form on from Europe.

image.png.aebd94cc495e758ee0ba3aa18bc60cd0.png

To secure three points against Sandefjord given the fact that we were reduced to 10 men for a large period of the game, again highlights the winning mentality of the team showing their Braveness in risking all to secure the victory. 

image.png.e18a0cf944cc97d88d13963a4f4fd750.png

The final league game of the month had it all, a grand total of eight goals (three of which come post 90 minutes) which seen Start come from behind twice to ensure they left with a point. The insane point to take home from this match was that there was supposed to be only four added minutes, should Akinyemi's goal in the 90+6 minute actually stood?!

image.png.e3dc23773a71f5edfc282b8d7513cbf4.png

The Europa League

A double header against SK Rapid Wien was to be held across the month, these fixtures would hold a significant impact on our chances of progressing out of the group.

image.png.c4a43f97402ca8a86623d2fdce6af438.png

Stojkovic got the home side off to a perfect start, his strike finding the back of the net held correlation to a laser on the top of a sniper's gun, hit true and hard! 

image.png.1898e4646309e3a79cc369fab87a91c7.png

Saltnes pulling us back on level terms in the second half, ensuring we took a share of the spoils back to Norway with us for the return leg.

image.png.33745f542be09c0fc38f50d4cc651597.png

As you can see, we failed to pick up maximum points, despite the fact that we finished the game with an xG of 1.59 compared to their 0.61. The major suprise in relation to both of these fixtures was SK's failure to even have Yusuf Demir within the match day squad, after checking he is still with their U19s! 

Despite our failure to win, we have now strung together three games in Europe without defeat, this paired with Milan's total dominance in the group has us in a strong position as you can see from below.

image.png.d17c7f3c400973146add3cae168b443d.png

The results against SK Rapid Wien have also secured us an additional £346k taking our revenue from the group stage close to £750k which is very much welcomed considering we will be looking to bring in a few recruits come close of season.

Our next fixture is away to Milan in the San Siro before finishing the group away to Besiktas in Istanbul! The fate of Glimt is within our hands! 

The final month  of our season looks like this;

image.png.b2039393bb57773d4433f4b4961aba35.png

Edited by MattyLewis11

2 hours ago, john1 said:

Unlucky to lose to AC Milan :( 

I'm just happy that we managed to score two goals past them, they were clear favourites for the group and have shown that now after four games! Hopefully we can progress. 

I couldn't have picked a better week to go on a 'Staycation' in the UK, the weather was glorious and Devon has many beaches to enjoy...but now I am back and in a position to provide you with an update of the action from Norway!

Doing a Denmark

We had two games remaining in the UEL and in all honesty initial thoughts were that a victory over either Milan away in the San Siro or away in Turkey against Besiktas would be enough to see us secure second place in the Group J. 

The reality was somewhat different, as you can see from the below we managed to qualify from the group with a total of five points, the lowest second place finish from the entire competition! 

image.thumb.png.91b461c19947626f87f7a351a6e358a0.png

image.png.aa2b7459078ff296fc12811c60572a04.png

We left the San Siro with our heads held high! Our half-time lead was short-lived to say the least, Milan coming out after the break and breaking our hearts and spirits within three minutes! Fortunately for us the game between SK and Besiktas finished goalless and all all would be to play for in the final game (Glimt 5, SK 4, Besiktas 2). If SK could secure a vicorty against a Milan side who had nothing to play for we would need to match their result to ensure we qualified.

image.png.7e66760fd7d65db33aa67da90efa25ad.png

Fortunately Milan secured a 100% record from the group, as we fell victim to a gaol in the 90+5 minute with both teams throwing the kitchen sink at each other to ensure they secured maximum points. I have to be happy to have qualified, the decisive factor in securing second spot was our ability to stay in the games as we only succumbed to defeat by the single goals, where as both Besiktas (1-3 vs Glimt) and SK (1-3 and 2-4 vs Milan) let the game slip away from them.

I have no doubt that whoever we come up against next will no doubt send us out of Europe until next year where we will be competing in the UCL all be it from the Qualifying rounds....

image.png.536e187fe8584f389a061cea0fca0397.png

Yes you read it correct, the UCL! With three games to play we have wrapped up the League title and replicated the success of Glimt in real life by securing their first ever Eliteserien Title. 

I will look to play the next few games and also keep you updated on the draw in Europe, before completing an end of season review/analysis before looking into recruitment.

It's good to be back! 

20 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Great title win and Milan have blown that group away. Good to get through!

Thanks @SixPointer

19 hours ago, john1 said:

Thanks god goal difference went in your way and qualified :D  Good to see you back!

Appreciated mate

As promised, the draw for the First Knockout Round of the UEL has been made and we have had ZERO luck drawing Bayer Leverkusen as our opponents.

The first leg is to be played in Norway (Molde Stadium). 

Wish us luck! 

image.thumb.png.ea6a8e266528faf475d53f02a906bdfc.png

On 25/07/2021 at 20:27, MattyLewis11 said:

As promised, the draw for the First Knockout Round of the UEL has been made and we have had ZERO luck drawing Bayer Leverkusen as our opponents.

The first leg is to be played in Norway (Molde Stadium). 

Wish us luck! 

image.thumb.png.ea6a8e266528faf475d53f02a906bdfc.png

I really liked your analysis of the first Milan game and, to keep the story, you can probably say that you learnt enough from that to get through!

Shame about that draw though! Any clubs of note or surprises in the hat? Who would you have ideally faced?

Posted (edited)

Season One Analysis 

34254647_Season1SquadProfile.thumb.PNG.abb4fa68bb7f775945dcf7ee59100bfd.PNG

What would any end of season analysis be without a completed squad profile! I often use these on a seasonal basis to help me identify players which I need to either tie down with long-term contracts, offer out on loan or look to move on! 

If we split the visual into four quadrants this will help you to aid decsision making; 

Bottom left - these are younger members of the squad which haven't accessed a large volume of minutes, these are players which ideally need to be loaned out as their current pathway isn't getting them sufficient experience in terms of minutes on the field.

Top left - younger players which are playing regularly, all of which are yet to reach their prime, these players services need to be secured and any who have contracts running down need to be offered new deals.

Top right - older players drawing down minutes, they still play a key role within the squad and could potentially explore coaching  if over 30.

Bottom right - players who aren't really contributing to the side, can they be sold? If these players are high on your hierarchy or can be utilised for mentoring they still may add value to the squad. 

xPTS

xPTS.PNG.acef1d3856d94bcb1b87260986d8c32c.PNG

Looking at the end of season report we secured 13 more points than out xPTS allotted for, given this feat we were the right champions considering expected points and can sleep with a smile on our faces knowing that we thoroughly deserved the trophy. 

Kristiansund who secured 4th place gained the most points than expected (17) whilst looking at the bottom of the table Viking fans have been left with a bitter taste in their mouths knowing that their side played well enough not to go down and should have done enough to secure their status in the Eliteserien despite finishing rock bottom.

Data analysis

Shooting.thumb.PNG.f7adc43b9be731b1923568dcc48e40cc.PNG

I have opted to conduct a little data analysis to explore our lack of a prominent goal scorer, given the fact that we have dominated the league to not finish with a scorer on double figures is quite frankly a tad embarrassing! 

I have plotted the above looking at multiple metrics, Shots per 90 v Shots on target per 90 v xG, I have opted to look at these metrics to analyse who if there are players who can frequently test the opponents keeper and particularly test him from areas with a high xG. 

As you can see Moses Mawa is the leagues leading volume shooter, however when looking at the size of his plot (xG) he isn't taking those from positions with a high xG, Kjartansson and Faris are the most deadly in that respect.

Looking specifically at our players Saltnes has the highest xG per shot, this is due to him taking penalties, our other leading candidates all are taking a significant amount of shots but they aren't generating a good xG.....could the problem not be the striker but the supply?

Creation.thumb.PNG.b7abdd249294cdbff389e5ce8abfc61c.PNG

To explore this I have opted to look into Key passes per 90 v Chances Created per 90 vs Assists, this visual helps us to understand a little more in relation to our problem.

As you will see the player creating the highest number of key passes is Patrick Berg, Berg is on corners which no doubt boosts high value and probably explains his low clear cut chances created which often come from when a player is played in behind the defensive line and is 1v1 against the keeper. 

Looking at the opposition two players stood out Carlo Holse (21) and Aron Donnum (22), both are creating a higher amount of key passes to Berg and are generating more chances created which in turn have more assists. With a transfer kitty of £9m there was only one thing left to do.

Donnum.PNG.74616c12483ffab8e8fa07cd78ad2e05.PNG

We secured the signing of Donnum for £1m up-front with a further £600k to be paid in six months - utilising our monies from the UEL tie against Leverkusen.

We also made a few more signings, as identified in my opening post (I think) we only have one ball playing defender which hampers our ability to break the press and play out from the back from both sides. 

Daland.PNG.06f4645edb7d766756a6c693abdfde66.PNG

We opted to sign Jesper Daland from Start for a record fee of £2.2m rising to £2.7 with a further payment of 500k in 6 months. As you can see from his attributes Jesper is a competant ball-player who also possesses great mental/physical attributes and no doubt will help us out defensively given his positioning, anticipation and composure.

Adingra.PNG.f2e79918778f36c93cfe4f1370ea7796.PNG

Helgesen.PNG.3decfa8f04fdd054993a0d29fb32b3ae.PNG

The following two individuals were brought in for free, both are signings for the future...although I envisage Adingra having an impact from the bench due to his pace. 

Check out this goal

652407291_ezgif.com-gif-maker(2).gif.096aac649a5e1e6566770a16125e3ed7.gif

I hope you have enjoyed the update, thanks for following my journey! Onwards to season two! 

Build Up.PNG

Edited by MattyLewis11

5 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

I really liked your analysis of the first Milan game and, to keep the story, you can probably say that you learnt enough from that to get through!

Shame about that draw though! Any clubs of note or surprises in the hat? Who would you have ideally faced?

As you can see from the below draw there were a few surprises with the likes of CFR Cluj, Krasnodor who qualifying over Lille and Sparta Prague, all of which I would have preferred to draw! Then again you could say at least I avoided the likes of any of the big boys who dropped in via the UCL. 

image.png.699ce0b96fcd467e8cb8c5cf3cb8713d.png

On 25/07/2021 at 19:12, scarp said:

Interesting to see you advancing with just five points, great job nevertheless.

Yes we certainly did it via the skin of our teeth! 

image.png

Clearly the excitement of writing the earlier data analysis piece got the better of me as I was also supposed to include the following; 

POTS.PNG.cb4619ae875b6f7286d56328b6209dcf.PNG

Patrick Berg picked up the Fans Player of the Season and was also voted the Young Player of the Season! This come as no surprise seeing as our DLP finished the season with the leagues third best overall form (7.25), finishing behind Geelmuyden of Staebek (7.26) and Carlo Holse of Rosenborg (7.26). New signing Aron Donnum finished in fourth place with (7.24).

Berg completed the 4th highest passes in the Eliteserien, highlighting the metronomes importance to the sides possession based game, now that multiple players have learnt traits such as dictate the tempo and play 1-2s I will look to remove the shorter passing from the team instructions, the shackles are off! 

Below you will find the Hall of Fame, as previously discussed in the thread, this will hopefully become a comprehensive list of players who have secured debut International caps whilst wearing the Yellow of Glimt, our Hall of Fame.  

94091645_WallOfFame.png.04f34719a340eec3da6faa32c1f54c78.png

Let me know your thoughts on the analysis piece, it took a little while to get done and am keen to see what the interest is within the Forum as I am very fond of conducting data analysis/analysis pieces in general. 

Love your analysis work! It’s something I feel I need to try and include more in my save. How did you go about building the image? 

daland was an absolute rock and a great ball player for my Odd save that I done on earlier on in FM21. How is ronnigen Jorgensen looking? If berg goes he’s the man to fill the void. Also surprised Tjaland hasn’t arrived yet.  

9 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Love your analysis work! It’s something I feel I need to try and include more in my save. How did you go about building the image? 

daland was an absolute rock and a great ball player for my Odd save that I done on earlier on in FM21. How is ronnigen Jorgensen looking? If berg goes he’s the man to fill the void. Also surprised Tjaland hasn’t arrived yet.  

@SixPointer the visuals are created using the exported FM metrics/data using Tableau I wrote an earlier post this year which guides you through how to make a squad profile. This explains the basics of Tableau which can be applied when analysing any metric.

If you want to give them a go, please feel free to message me for any help. 

Jorgensen is still with Odds but is heavily linked with a move to Club Brugge - his first season he averaged 6.95 from 24 appearances whilst Tjaland is still with Molde U19s. 

The Europa League 

As you will now if you have been following the save closely (appreciated) we had drawn Leverkusen in the first round of the knockout stages of the UEL. These fixtures come at an awkward time of mid Febuary, given the fact that the Eliteserien season finishes in late December our team hadn't played a competitive fixture in over two months.

In order to attempt to combat this and blow off the cobwebs we arranged pre, pre-season friendlies against OGC Nice (1-1), Shakhtar (0-5) and Dynamo Moscow (1-2). As you can tell the results don't make for a good read, however these kind of games are all about fitness and praying that nobody picks up an injury! 

We had the first fixture at home and were confident of going into the game that we could keep the result to within a one goal margin, hopefully giving us something to play for in the second leg.

1003177182_Leg1.PNG.bbe9f77fb5777ac710006a14784d62b3.PNG

As you can see from the above, we we pretty competitive and actually finished the game with a higher xG. 

979140833_Leg2.PNG.72c36a23b62e576cc7d4c95af7eb640f.PNG

In fact we actually got the better of the Bundesliga opponents over both legs, something which we can be proud of as we were well and truly FM'd! 

Overall.PNG.45ea7dae306b91b323b97f5dfbd24766.PNG

The defeat at home in the first-leg was very disappointing to take, I left the game last night in rage and couldn't bring myself to play the second-leg until this morning. Thankfully we did ourselves some justice, managing to restore some pride to the Glimt badge by coming from behind at the BayArena thanks to a goal from Per Ivar Nerdal. Remember the name folks, Nerdal was our best player from the crop of the youth-intake and with attributes like below at the age of 15 will no doubt become a favourite within the All Yellows fan base.

1647417378_NerdalAtt.PNG.49d017b3a1d2795e15b89377964874c7.PNG

Surely Nerdal is going to become a problem! Really hoping that I can tap into some of @_Ben_ techniques in relation to tweaking player personalities with Nerdal as we will be looking to hopefully develop a player fit for the National side.

Nerdal.PNG.5407474948c8f6bcb3c2f9fa963a2633.PNG

The youngster has already got off to a good start in relation to raising his reputation, his goal against Leverkusen has made him the youngest scorer in the history of the UEL, breaking no other than Romelu Lukaku's record from back in his Anderlecht days.

I also have a confession to make, after the result in the UEL, I may have splashed out on one more marque signing! 

Klaeson.thumb.PNG.3cf6efef1b0510575274b57d939d6bb7.PNG

Welcome Klaesson who joins for a record breaking £4m transfer fee, we opted to pay the fee up-front to avoid having to be tied into any future transfer percentages, given the fact that Valerenga initially wanted this figure to be 40% I think paying slightly over the odds for a player with so much ability/potential makes sense in the long-term.

As you can see from the comparison with Haikin, Klaesson already is the better keeper and pretty much is head and shoulders above the Russian in all departments apart from Eccentricity....which I'm not quite sure is the best attribute for a Goalkeeper anyway. 

27 minutes ago, MattyLewis11 said:

1647417378_NerdalAtt.PNG.49d017b3a1d2795e15b89377964874c7.PNG

Surely Nerdal is going to become a problem! Really hoping that I can tap into some of @_Ben_ techniques in relation to tweaking player personalities with Nerdal as we will be looking to hopefully develop a player fit for the National side.

He certainly has all the makings of a top winger in a few years so hopefully he can reach that potential.

In terms of him, right now. I'm not a fan of Fairly Loyal as there are no professionalism indicators and ambition is only ok. That being said, I'm no longer of the opinion of this personality or NO development and am really buying in to what he does have under the hood.

I am presuming that he'll (rightly) by in your youth team and I'd keep him there for a little longer, too. When he does come up to the first team, it'll be all about who you surround him by. Ignoring Goran Adilovic, there is a link to all of my M.Citizens that I have:

b691e02b525de68c06d375c50b5657c3.png

Dantas has mentored them all and also 'invited' Berendt into the club, changing his personality too. Those can be used as a really short term mentoring that normally have a good impact.

I think it's all about getting the ball rolling - get yourself a player, who has a good Determination level and a good personality (not necessary a M.Citizen in the first place as that is ultimate but there are many 'half-way houses' such as Pro/Resolute etc) and get mentoring groups and welcoming parties going. You'll find that it's much more of a slow burn than tutoring ever was but you can change the whole personality of the club with just two or three starting players. 

Keep us updated on his development!

Posted (edited)

Season Two

Happy Friday fellow FM'ers, we have an update from Norway after getting through the first month of the season, this post will look to cover our progress and explain the tactical tweaks which we have made in order to maximise the impact of our off-season recruitment and also appease the board who were demanding that we played a more entertaining brand of football! Did they not get the memo that we won the Eliteserien?!

April.thumb.PNG.2e239e56ceb38b3e77653ecf157010e5.PNG

As you can see we have got off to an amazing start in the league, we have a 100% record so far and have only conceded the single gaol against Sarpsborg! (Klaesson already showing his worth to the squad, he has an 86% save success rate to-date) Sondre Fet picked up an injury (puled hamstring) prior to the first game of the season which handed Mads Halsoy an opportunity to enter the starting eleven and boy the 19-year old has taken the bull by the horns and he's ran with it!

The young Norwegian has contributed to four goals (3 goals, 1 assist) across the month and is going to provide me with a very nice headache now that Fet is back in contention. Sebastian Tounekti (18) has also made himself the first name on the team sheet after his exceptional start to the season operating in the new role of a left sided IF on attack. 

image.png.cc3d662df6fb14b5005cbb3f765e8e5d.png

The above image already shows the spread of goals within the team, this makes for good viewing as the spread has vastly improved from last season which had a heavy focus on the MC (Saltnes and his penalties) and the ST either via Botheim or Junker. 

The Tactical Tweaks

image.png.2b06e58bb1e8087b4c0e2ab7dbfc8669.png

In possession we have encourages the lads to shoot on sight rather than work the ball into the box, I have opted to make this change due to the fact that we have often dominated games in terms of possession and are already generating a significant amount of chances across 90 minutes. Given the fact that we will often be facing a compact block asking the players to attempt to play into a compact zone at times is the wrong option especially given the fact that we have individuals who can shoot from distance, this has already paid dividends with three goals already coming from range. We have also instructed the players to play the ball into space, allowing them the  freedom to play balls for the likes of the attacking trident to run onto. 

image.png.40e80c3e76ae8aebcad7ff4dcc287e84.png

You may also note that we have switched our IW and IF, this move was facilitated to ensure that we maximised our new signing of Donnum and have flicked the DLF from support to attack, asking the player to be a little more selfish in terms of fashioning chances for himself over prioritising the role as a link role. 

We have also changed the BPD to act as a Cover asking him to drop a little deeper with the view to sweeping up any second balls which the CD may miss out on when attempting aerial duels, could this possibly be a risk given the fact we are playing a very high line with the use of the offside trap...only time will tell. 

The change which has had the most impact has been that of Patrick Berg our DLP. Historically Berg operated as a DLP an defend, he was by far our most consistent player last season completing a high volume of passes along with boasting a very high pass completion percentage. The issue was his lack of an influence in the final third, he contributed to only two assist across the whole season (think of Mateo Kovacic rather than a Sergio Busquets) we wanted Berg to have a greater influence on our attacking play and have less of a responsibility in out defensive actions.

3rd.PNG.c55be214ac3da30d5342ebab65d0a211.PNG

Taking his completed passes from within the league, you will notice that he is playing the ball from a grater advanced position with a large volume of passes coming from within zone 14, the outcome has Berg directly involved in six goals from the opening five games, that's triple his total amount of assists from last season! 

Board.thumb.PNG.3ea427b7c0bd0a2ca1f5dd533004c04c.PNG

As you would expect, the board are now more than content with our style of play! 

The Cup

image.thumb.png.fb82c05751f4a9e1f9dcc81a9b72965e.png

The cup run has also gone very well, playing our youth prospects we have secured victories over minnows in both the first and second rounds.

image.thumb.png.a4e05c804e3465a5fbec39175a0f030f.png

The month of May has us facing 3rd place Rosenborg and 12th placed Stromsgodset away, whilst we welcome Molde (7th) and Odds (8th) to Aspmyra. 

Any comments or questions are greatly welcomed...until the next time, thanks for reading! 

Edited by MattyLewis11

image.png.852722fc378e31fbcffe3142e0b4bc8a.png

He's developing nicely, I have him operating from the CM (Su) with a player instruction to get further forward and he has slotted in nicely with 3 goals and 2 assists from the initial five matches, which has lead to me extending his contract.

As you can see from his attributes @KlaaZ he is mentally strong which always helps with consistency, I am going to look at improving his off the ball rating as he is kind of attempting to replicate the role of a MEZ within the system. 

Nice! If you have cash to burn, it might be worth trying to grab Holm from Valerenga. I still have him running around in Kopenhagen and he's still a useful squad player despite me winning the CL twice in a row. Not cheap though, unfortunately. Faghir from Velje is also a great prospect, although he's a bit hit and miss. He developed into a world class striker in my first save but didn't live up to his potential in the second. 

@KlaaZ I have already scouted Odin Thiago Holm and he is certainly someone I will be keeping a close eye on, he also fits my philosophy of prioritising recruitment targets from within the Eliteserien  which is great! The scout report come back with an estimated cost of somewhere between £2m-£4m, whilst Faghir as you know is from Denmark so I have been looking at alternatives such as Oskar Sivertsen, Herman Geelmuyden and Datro Fofana.

If Holm is still a squad player for you he could well be a very worthwhile investment, thanks for the tip! 

14 hours ago, MattyLewis11 said:

@KlaaZ I have already scouted Odin Thiago Holm and he is certainly someone I will be keeping a close eye on, he also fits my philosophy of prioritising recruitment targets from within the Eliteserien  which is great! The scout report come back with an estimated cost of somewhere between £2m-£4m, whilst Faghir as you know is from Denmark so I have been looking at alternatives such as Oskar Sivertsen, Herman Geelmuyden and Datro Fofana.

If Holm is still a squad player for you he could well be a very worthwhile investment, thanks for the tip! 

2-4M is a bargain, I had to pay 9M EUR to move him over. Very much worth it though. :)

20210731102844_1.thumb.jpg.2ecf30d98682e04386a2f7c8b63c84ef.jpg20210731102942_1.thumb.jpg.73b2135a93ab8f10f883e588ac565cf0.jpg

My bad in regards to Faghir, I thought you were going Scandinavian rather than full Norway. 

5 hours ago, KlaaZ said:

2-4M is a bargain, I had to pay 9M EUR to move him over. Very much worth it though. :)

20210731102844_1.thumb.jpg.2ecf30d98682e04386a2f7c8b63c84ef.jpg20210731102942_1.thumb.jpg.73b2135a93ab8f10f883e588ac565cf0.jpg

My bad in regards to Faghir, I thought you were going Scandinavian rather than full Norway. 

I haven't closed off signings from other Nations but as I have want to try and raise the standard of Norwegian football and the leagues coefficient it makes sense to spend as much money as possible from within the league. 

Have you been playing him as an IW? 

23 minutes ago, MattyLewis11 said:

I haven't closed off signings from other Nations but as I have want to try and raise the standard of Norwegian football and the leagues coefficient it makes sense to spend as much money as possible from within the league. 

Have you been playing him as an IW? 

I tried that in the beginning but he didn't perform in that position. Been using him as an RPM or a Mezzala ever since and he's been doing great. :)

34 minutes ago, philipw said:

Brilliant work, very entertaining to read! Which skin do you use? Looks amazing.

Thanks @philipw I am glad you are enjoying the save, I hope you follow along....the skin is FMRensie and it is obviously the black one. 

May 2021

We kicked off the month of May with a home fixture against Haugesund, this game had a little extra on it due to Jostein Grindhaug's being the only Manager to inflict defeat on Glimt last season! Lightning doesn't strike twice and a first-half brace from both Donnum and Tounekti made this years half-time team talk a much more pleasant one! Tounekti ensured he took home the match ball with three minutes remaining with a well hit shot from outside the box. 

We would then travel away to Rosenborg in a fixture which would see last years number one transfer targets (Donnum/ Holse) face off against each other, who would come out on top? (I hope you like the viz @_Ben_)

image.thumb.png.a4b5e9c48114a4df97b740b4e75836ff.png

Donnum finished the game with an average rating of 8.2 whilst Holse picked up a 6.3, as you can see from the above images Donnum was heavily involved with play completing more passes than his opposite number and also completed two more key passes, picking up two assists (Lode and Tounekti) in the progress. Without the ball there wasn't much to separate the two, Holse contributed with two tackles and a block whilst Donnum made three interceptions and one tackle. 

Another victory for Glimt before having to play back to back home games, first up were Molde, we finished with the same score as above 2-0, benefiting from a brace from Kasper Junker, the 27-year-old Dane has recently been linked with a call-up to the national side for the European Championships and his performance wouldn't have done his case any harm.  A 20 minute flood of goals was enough to see off Odds as Bjorkan, Halsoy, Adingra and Saltnes all got themselves in on the act as we completely dismantled a well rounded side managed by Jan Frode Nornes. 

The final game of the month was to be played away at the Marienlyst Stadion the home of Stromsgodset, we secured the victory thanks to a Sondre Fet goal in the 21st minute against an opponent which we have only ever defeated by the single goal. 

image.png.6d5d8cd975431f96d606aac145bcc9d8.png

After two immense months of football we sit comfortably at the top of the Eliteserien with a 100% record, Stabaek are the only side along with us to yet taste defeat! You will notice that our goal difference is an impressive +31, this acquisition of  Klaesson has certainly aided this achievement. 

The 20-year-old leads the leagues stats in terms of his save ratio which sits at 93%, a clear 10% over second placed Marcus Sandberg of Stabaek. Our xG against of just 3.4 goes to show how little the opposition are creating against us, this figure has come from the 16 shots which we have on target against us over the initial ten matches, again 13 less than Valerenga to provide you with a little context. 

image.png.80fee764d8f0fb88ca48d529d00e1370.png

The month of June is relatively quiet, we face a tough game initially against the undefeated Stabaek, could one of us take a major scalp? We also face square up against fierce rivals Tromso after their promotion from the Obosligaen, in a battle to see who will become the true King of the North! 

2 hours ago, MattyLewis11 said:

We would then travel away to Rosenborg in a fixture which would see last years number one transfer targets (Donnum/ Holse) face off against each other, who would come out on top? (I hope you like the viz @_Ben_)

image.thumb.png.a4b5e9c48114a4df97b740b4e75836ff.png

Absolutely! It's a shame that this isn't particularly clear (not that this is your fault!) and that we can't get this kind of thing instead of just the news report with how they played! Going to try and add a little thing like this into my updates each month, too.

On 15/07/2021 at 09:54, MattyLewis11 said:

So after doing some thinking last night (watch out!) I have come up with the following objectives for the save which are are long-term.

Norway's Finest - Ok, historically Rosenborg are the most cultured team in Norway, they have qualified for Champions League football 19 times and also represented the country in the Europa League 12 times. Despite holding such an illustrious record they are yet to progress from the group stage in both competitions. 

Therefore objective one will be to beat this feat or accumulate more than 87 wins across both competitions, to beat their existing record.

Europe's Finest - going hand in hand with the above objective is the target of raising the clubs ranking against all European sides, to date the club sit in 255th place with regards to the club coefficients and the aim would be to strive to get the side into the top 30. 

Eliteserien Top Ten League - very much along the lines of what I wrote earlier, it would be amazing to help drive the overall league ranking of the Eliteserien to make the league a top ten league! In order to do this I will look to ensure that a large amount of transfer revenue is spent within the league to help keep the monies within our slosh! In theory this will make sure that other sides have the potential to strengthen their teams, making the quality of the competition grow over time, hopefully enabling sides to become more competitive in Europe. 

Create a club legend - Runar Berg currently has the most appearances for Glimt with 329 after two stints at the club! It would be a fantastic achievement to see a player break Berg's record and etch himself into club folklore. 

image.png.355f11fce4e973e4d255d05d926e4d1a.png

The Wall of Fame - I will also keep a wall of fame to document all players who secure their first International appearance whilst wearing the colours of Glimt, this is just a nice touch which will go to show how playing for Bodo can help to project players onto the International scene and become a foundation building block on individual careers. 

As the calendar aligns with the European 'Big Five's' summer break we have been notified of the annual changes in the club and competition rankings, if you can remember from when I set out the main four objectives of the save, this is a crucial time of the year to track our progress;

a.PNG.98e61caeffb624c35e7538a7f40cb36a.PNG

There was no movement in relation to the Eliteserien's status this year, the Fortuna Liga (Czech) dropped five places from 15th to 20th pushing the Hrvatski telekom (Croatia) to 21st and the Allsvenskan remains in 22nd. We are hoping that an improved performance in Europe from all Norwegian sides will hopefully see the leagues status/reputation make a positive movement in a years time.

b.PNG.2445376de57062531507442caa9cada9.PNG

In relation to becoming Europe's finest (might have to change this to top 50!) we made a positive movement up the coefficient rankings, representing Norway in Europe again in the 2021 season will again impact on this next season as we hopefully continue to improve Glimt's standings in the power rankings! 

UEFA Champions League

c.PNG.37d3664ea566fb68335bb0ed36cef570.PNG

Whilst we are on the subject, we have been notified of our opponents for the UCL Champions Path First Qualifying Round, we face Fotbal Club FCSB of Romania. I have minimal knowledge of the Romanian league however based on the club information page I am going to stick my neck out and say that we should be favourites for this tie. We play the first game at home prior to travelling to Bucharest where we will face them in the Arena Nationala, which has a capacity of 55,634 and is an absolute beauty.

d.PNG.3c5b1ac8ec5064361bacf0dd650b145d.PNG

As always we know that if we are to progress we will face either Valletta FC, the champions of Malta or Lech Poznan, champions of Poland. I am going to banker that we will be playing Poznan and therefore will be sending my scouts to provide me with an early team report to attempt to identify their weaknesses and tailor training in the build up to the match. 

I've been away for a few days so just catching up now. I mean there's nothing really that can be said about a perfect start to a league season other than it's perfect! Could the league be sewn up already?!

FCSB are no mugs, but I'm backing you to beat them and Poznan, who I agree are likely to be your next opponents in the competition.

1 hour ago, smplfc123 said:

I've been away for a few days so just catching up now. I mean there's nothing really that can be said about a perfect start to a league season other than it's perfect! Could the league be sewn up already?!

FCSB are no mugs, but I'm backing you to beat them and Poznan, who I agree are likely to be your next opponents in the competition.

I am going to be ballsy and put in writing my claim that the league is no doubt wrapped up, the way the play feels within the match engine is really smooth...there is no doubt the summer recruitment helped along with the extra experience individuals have playing the system.

June 2021

c.thumb.PNG.3a5d581e922c89e6757034602c4e5349.PNG

The month of June was short and sweet and had the perfect closure as we were crowned 'Kings of the North' with an emphatic victory over local rivals Tromso, just the casual seven goals scored!

Taking a few steps back to the beginning of the month we faced Stabaek and thanks to three goals in the second half we inflicted the first defeat on them this season. That Man Donnum again played a key role in the victory scoring a goal and also grabbing an assist, he now closes the month with 12 goal contributions (5 goals, 7 assists) from his 11 appearances...value for money...tick! 

The youth prospects/reserve select then brushed aside Fredrikstad in the fourth round of the cup, Erik Bothiem grabbing a brace along the way before we faced Odds, a team which we have always enjoyed playing against and have now scored 13 goals against over four meetings! 

b.PNG.3a76352b9c3fcdacaf6289d7ae63d252.PNG

The above pass network comes from the game against Tromso, it goes to show how the addition of Daland on the left-hand side of the centre-back pairing enables us to play a progressive passing game across both sides of the pitch, providing us with perfect balance.

I cannot be the only person who often looks at these images and when presented with one of such beauty, I had to share.

d.PNG.3ca25be93402e1fd876f318f0ec04fe5.PNG

Sebastian has emerged this season as a real talent from within the squad, the above image is a shot map which highlights where his 10 league goals have come from.

You will notice that the area resembles that of an isosceles triangle (minus the penalty) which clearly is the players sweet-spot for cutting inside in the role of an inside forward, allowing him to get off his shots on his favoured right foot. 

Sebastien's impressive form in front of goal has the 18-year-old outperforming his xG value of 4.34 significantly, his performances have sparked the interest of six time winner of the UEL, Seville and also Charleroi of the Belgian Juplier Pro League. 

image.png.46373a824795608c5e497bf059f5e229.png

Looking forward to the month of July, we will look to play a rotated eleven in the games against Mjondalen and Start as we look to navigate the challenges of the UCL qualifying rounds. 

image.png.7d70845475d2b94a0c5519d40b790037.png

12 hours ago, MattyLewis11 said:

I have minimal knowledge of the Romanian league however based on the club information page I am going to stick my neck out and say that we should be favourites for this tie.

I have maximum knowlege of the Romanian league and can confirm that you are clear favorites for this. You should beat them with easy if you dont do something stupid, although to be fair they are better in-game than in real life. Poles might be a bit harder. Good luck!

Posted (edited)

image.png.93779e0f2dfa73f182523804a099aef1.png

A very quick update on the UCL outcome as our next fixture against Lech Poznan (As predicted) is scheduled to be played in July. @Muttley84 you were indeed correct! 

Poznan had a similar outcome to ourselves securing an 8-1 victory over the two legs with forward Mikael Ishak grabbing two goals and an assist as he effectively lead the line in the 4-2-3-1 formation. 

image.png.5521c5830325dddc970ee085c8d53e36.png

Drilling down into their Team Report it is clear to see that they will look to play a similar brand of possession based football, like ourselves. They operate with two playmakers DLP/AP, however have a MEZ operating in the partnering role in the double pivot. 

I am hoping that we can use this to our advantage,  the plan is to target the MEZ with the view to closing down, ideally he will be in possession in advanced areas which in theory would also mean that their WB's are also advanced if they are looking to break down our defensive structure. 

If we can nick the ball our wide men can be played in down the flanks with a view to using their speed on the counter, three of their last six goals have come from the right side of the pitch....enter Donnum! 

Defensive training will focus on defending engaged, aerial defence and also defending corners. 

Edited by MattyLewis11

July 2021

image.png.50e5d8439c58de087ef6cbb7b832d44e.png

image.thumb.png.74225549d9a11ca9572c162c0d56a7f3.png

We shuffled the pack for all the league games across the month of July in order to maximise our chances of progressing in the UCL, surprisingly we still managed to win all of our games! This goes to show the quality of the depth from within the squad, Erik Botheim scored five goals across the three league games and now has given us selection problem going forward. 

image.thumb.png.7cb917c612a8b10ecac9169ce6c946ef.png 

Looking at the comparison of the players statistics across all competitions you will see that there isn't really too much to split the two, Junker is involved more defensively with a higher tackle rate and also contributes more in terms of chance creation, whilst Botheim boasts the higher goals per 90 value. 

image.png.a23255a39a5a6af2fa1cfb343ef928a0.png

I am pleased to also inform you that we have successfully progressed in the UCL with an aggregate score of 5-2. We played the first-leg away from home and despite Lech Poznan having the better of the first half we scored two goals in quick succession, the two goal lead and the fact that we had secured the away goal made the second leg at home much more comfortable. 

image.png.3afff5b08d84e30b3d22e10f83c7d0a7.png

I would like to say that both our goals come on the counter, they didn't! However both were scored just outside the six-yard box from crosses which played into their weakness which were identified via the Team Report. 

image.png.d207a8177f04efee6e7efa9c0caa1e06.png

We have a very tough task in the next round of qualification, Celtic clearly have the better reputation and squad valuation making these two fixtures a real test and gauge of the progress which we have made on the pitch over the last year.

image.png.44d31d1a4681f4d29f3eb9ef0788ae51.png

We received a good offer from both Genk and Charleroi for the services of Isak Amundsen (£1.1m up-front with an additional £450k in add-ons and a 35% sell on clause) despite the player having a four star potential the money was too good to turn down, especially considering the fact that he has just returned from loan after a year in the Eredivisie with Heracles. Do we look to start the tapping up process of Odin Thiago Holm @KlaaZ only time will tell. 

image.thumb.png.bfa606df87e57a400e81c907f317b071.png

August looks absolutely horrific.....way too many games......I think that the 100% record will be lost after this period!