Match 50: England vs Denmark - 8pm (bst) ITV1 LIVE FROM WEMBLEY !!!!!!!!!!

Posted (edited)

Right i'm off to bed. Win or lose Sunday I will still bloody love this team. Every single one of them. Represent the nicer side of this country which we don't see enough off in other aspects of society.

Heroes the lot of them. 

Edit: and obviously not just the players. Southgate, Steve Holland, Chrisy Powell, the Newcastle bloke, Thomas Muller. Utter legends.

Edited by skybluedave
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, darren1983 said:

What were you expecting? :D 

3 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Tbf, there's people dancing on the roofs of buses in central London. And it's gridlocked

That sounds a bit more like it. 

Well I don't know where the last few hours of my life have gone. Screamed and shouted so much during the game it scared my dog :D 

For at least an hour after the game there was nothing but car horns going off outside.  Just absolutely amazing and this is better than 3 years ago because there was a sense of expectation this time compared to back then. 

Still pinching myself and can't quite believe it. Moved to tears when the final whistle came as I really never thought I'd see the day and when Denmark scored earlier in the game, I just thought history was repeating itself.

I will be gutted if we don't win the thing now of course. Italy game is another I can see going 120 minutes or more even.

Absolutely buzzing. Soft penalty as well to give and to take like that, but I don't care as it's gone in and we've won :D 

Not only was it a fortunate penalty, not only was it dreadfully taken, but also watching it again Schmeichel really should be holding onto that.

I'll take it :D

1 hour ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Tbf, there's people dancing on the roofs of buses in central London. And it's gridlocked

1 hour ago, XuluBak said:

That sounds a bit more like it. 

Unlikely to happen down Wembley Way to be fair :D 

5 hours ago, ajw10 said:

Sterling is the only player to have ever dived and is definitely only hated by Liverpool fans because of this fact. (No Liverpool player has ever dived)

The funny thing is Salah is one of the biggest divers 

17 minutes ago, ginnybob said:

I've got a bastard behind the eyes this morning. 

Today may not be the easiest. 

Same, I’ve been up all night with my mum (discharged from hospital yesterday) right this current moment I hate football :D

6 hours ago, Haguey said:

Not only was it a fortunate penalty, not only was it dreadfully taken, but also watching it again Schmeichel really should be holding onto that.

I'll take it :D

That he didnt try to parry it but actually went for the catch is the reason it popped back out. Unreal on the night but that was a bad decision.

Really felt for Kasper, he kept Denmark in it 3 or 4 times and even got to the penalty. Felt weird wanting him to not be so good for once haha.

Still for England it's an absolutely incredible result.

England vs Italy at Major Tournaments				
15-Jun-80	Italy v England	L	1-0			UEFA European Championship
07-Jul-90	Italy v England	L	2-1			FIFA World Cup
24-Jun-12	England v Italy	L	0-0 (2-4p)	UEFA European Championship
14-Jun-14	England v Italy	L	1-2			FIFA World Cup

Recent England vs Italy at Wembley				
15-Nov-89	England v Italy	D	0-0			International Friendly
12-Feb-97	England v Italy	L	0-1			FIFA World Cup
15-Aug-12	England v Italy	W	2-1			International Friendly
27-Mar-18	England v Italy	D	1-1			International Friendly

Just a little food for thought about Sunday.

We've never beaten Italy at a Major Tournament, but we have only played them 4 times at them too. But we do better against them at Wembley. 

10 minutes ago, Pompeyboyz said:

But we do better against them at Wembley. 

Just one of many ways in which we've covertly collaborated with UEFA to rig this tournament.

A word with the ref and it's as good as done.

Good grief that was an epic meltdown in here last night. To the England fans on here I am happy for you guys, genuinely nice to see so many people on here so happy.

So close for Denmark :(

In total a deserved win for England, but so gutting to loose after a soft penalty, whcih was saved at first.

I mean the way I'm seeing things: it 100% was definitely not a penalty. Whatever the opposite of a stonewall penalty is...a stonewall dive? Should simply not have been a penalty and VAR should also be getting a hammering for not intervening. The whole point of the damn thing is to avoid howlers, and they've let a howler go.

But on the other hand, how many times have England been shafted by bad decisions in knockout games? Plenty. Lampard's goal a mile over the line not given, Campbell's header being disallowed (still don't know why), soft red cards for Beckham and Rooney, etc...and that's just top of my head. 

Also, Kane's diving antics were pretty bad last night. But again, Hojbjerg was doing exactly the same thing; and you can bet your bottom dollar that Immobile will too on Sunday, so whatevs.

Southgate's lack of substitutions in normal time probably the biggest worry going into the final. Hasn't learned his lessons. The game was there to be won in normal time but hesitated. Also, Pickford :D But not a lot you can do about the latter now.

9 minutes ago, Yuko said:

VAR should have cancelled the whole play due to the second ball anwyay, contact or no contact. 

that's not the rule

What a great read. I dipped at the start of ET to focus on the game but looks like I missed a hell of an epic Gunman ramble. 

I've just seen the highlights from last night. I can see how, live, a ref could award a penalty like that, but in VAR times is inconceivable. But I'm even more shocked by the two footballs on the pitch and the game not being stopped.

Oh well. It's coming home.

1 minute ago, ryan045 said:

What a great read. I dipped at the start of ET to focus on the game but looks like I missed a hell of an epic Gunman ramble. 

Ryan my man, you can call Gunman the messiah because he died for your sins!

1 minute ago, Federico said:

I've just seen the highlights from last night. I can see how, live, a ref could award a penalty like that, but in VAR times is inconceivable. But I'm even more shocked by the two footballs on the pitch and the game not being stopped.

Oh well. It's coming home.

It's not automatic if it doesn't interfere with play.

3 minuti fa, ginnybob ha scritto:

that's not the rule

The ball was clearly in the sight and near both players and well before the penalty.

1 minuto fa, ginnybob ha scritto:

It's not automatic if it doesn't interfere with play.

Lol Sterling almost had to dribble past it!:lol:

Just now, Federico said:

Lol Sterling almost had to dribble past it!:lol:

And how did it interfere with play?

Well if you want to start getting technical you probably can disallow Denmark's goal for their wall being too close to the England one as it moved before the ball was kicked.

Oh lord I was out last night but reading these pages back has been fantastic. The saltiness level in here :D. I honestly can't fathom how another team that you don't even support can make somebody so angry, proper perplexing stuff. :D

I’m not sure why people always seem to see things in blacks and white. The penalty was either a stonewall penalty or an obvious dive. The very fact it’s being debated so much makes it literally a debatable penalty.

Also, after all this time people still don’t know what the purpose of VAR is and don’t get the ‘clear and obvious’ part.  VAR doesn’t overturn that decision either way.  If the ref originally doesn’t give then pen then VAR doesn’t overturn the decision. 

4 minutes ago, ginnybob said:

Hard to tell, no? Maybe in the same way that a player faking injury may cause a defender to be irritated for a tiny bit (hello Italy). I think that, if a Danish player had stopped running and pointed to the second ball, the ref might well have been forced to stop play. Because then it would have interfered. 

But yeah, in this situation, I think it really didn't. Can defend that decision. VAR not overturning the dive, however, will forever serve as a good example of VAR needing changes. 

3 minutes ago, Tony85 said:

Well if you want to start getting technical you probably can disallow Denmark's goal for their wall being too close to the England one as it moved before the ball was kicked.

Nothing technical about it, it should have been disallowed 

10 hours ago, GunmaN1905 said:

That galvanized them to play tighter.

So if France had 11 players on the pitch and not 10, they would not have been as good then?? :confused:

3 minutes ago, Bigwig said:

I’m not sure why people always seem to see things in blacks and white. The penalty was either a stonewall penalty or an obvious dive. The very fact it’s being debated so much makes it literally a debatable penalty.

The fact that the fans of the team getting the decision defending the dive tooth and nail means absolutely nothing :D

Also, after all this time people still don’t know what the purpose of VAR is and don’t get the ‘clear and obvious’ part.  VAR doesn’t overturn that decision either way.  If the ref originally doesn’t give then pen then VAR doesn’t overturn the decision. 

Clear and obvious? It was a dive, how obvious do you want it? And no: 'there was contact' is not a rule in football. Anyway, the lad started going to the ground before even the first defender may or may not have brushed him. 

Hey, I get it: the decision was made and the coin fell Englands way, but let's not pretend that this was even near 'debatable'. England cheated their way out of a 75% certain loss on penalties (Schmeichel vs Pickford, no contest really) and that's history now. For once, England got lucky. Must be karma or something and I don't begrudge them the win (it was well deserved anyway) but again: no excuses. The record is clear. 

Posted (edited)

Definitely not a penalty, not even close, but I don't think that play should have been stopped for the 2nd ball. 

I think England would have won without it, but who knows.

Edited by EnterUsernameHere
22 minuti fa, ginnybob ha scritto:

Cattura.JPG.832db255696728539405fc7f1cab420d.JPG

For me the ball is interfering the play, and quite much.

14 minuti fa, Bigwig ha scritto:

You think that was a debatable penalty if you read this forum only. German, italian, french, spanish, even english newspapers claim that was not a penalty, there's not much to debate about in fact.

11 minuti fa, DJ ha scritto:

Hard to tell, no? Maybe in the same way that a player faking injury may cause a defender to be irritated for a tiny bit (hello Italy).

Can't see how you can relate a fake injury (despicable) to two footballs on the pitch.

But hey, well done anyway. Football fancies and all, that's it. Sometimes luck turns in our favour, sometimes in our opponents favour.

It's gonna be a great final that England is ready to win. Good luck! :thup:

9 minutes ago, Bigwig said:

Exactly this. I’ve moaned about VAR more than anyone but this tournament they have finally started using it properly. Minimal intervention and correcting a handful of refereeing howlers, not reviewing every tangle of legs every time the ball is in the penalty area.

There is enough in that Sterling coming together to argue it both ways. If it gets given, VAR doesn’t overturn it. But if it doesn’t get given the VAR doesn’t pull it back and send the ref to the screen either.

Not sure how we have ended up arguing about refereeing decisions anyway. Show me a tournament finalist that hasn’t had the rub of the green in one or two games along the way. Christ, these things have gone against us enough times.

England were comfortably the better side. Should have won it in 90 minutes, still full of running at the end when Denmark were out on their feet. The last five minutes of extra time were unbelievable, pinging 50+ passes around the whole team where previously in years gone by we would have been camped in our six yard box trying to defend a one goal lead.

13 minutes ago, DJ said:

Hard to tell, no? Maybe in the same way that a player faking injury may cause a defender to be irritated for a tiny bit (hello Italy). I think that, if a Danish player had stopped running and pointed to the second ball, the ref might well have been forced to stop play. Because then it would have interfered.

I agree with this and perhaps the defender should have done that, but then he was clearly concentrating on Sterling, therefore it's not interfering with what he's doing.

4 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Christ, these things have gone against us enough times.

Like the Denmark free kick and the blatant back pass the ref didn't give at the start of the game 

Bitterness in this thread is incredible, just enjoy it 

You know bias has crept in when people arguing the penalty being allowed have just glossed over the fact Denmark scored off of an illicit free kick.