Match 49: Italy vs Spain - 8pm (bst) BBC1 live from Wembley !

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Haguey said:

But yeah, deserved winners and finalists. Spain have been rubbish until tonight, and probably only just edged this one anyway.

Deserve it for that Morata pen :D

They had one good game where they dismantled Slovakia.

1 minute ago, skybluedave said:

I don't like saying 'he looked like he was gonna miss as he stepped' as nobody looks that confident really. But Morata there. Looked terrified

He'd already missed one. That's gotta be a bit of a mindffff in that situation. 

Wanted Spain to win it and over the actual game I felt they were the better team. They had no chance once it came to penalties though. Fair play to Morata for taking a penalty, braver than half his teammates.

4 minutes ago, Haguey said:

But yeah, deserved winners and finalists. Spain have been rubbish until tonight, and probably only just edged this one anyway.

Deserve it for that Morata pen :D

Tbh I thought Spain were a lot better. 

Just when we thought Mancini has finally evolved from his old self, he goes back to panic defending in a big game.

The final outcome doesn't even matter, this was really poor from the point when Chiesa scored.

Four starters have enough skill to carry the ball forward and make something happen. Verratti, Barella, Insignie, Chiesa. He took 3 out before the regular time ended.

Italy was completely toothless and lost after that.

On top of that, he nullified any attacking presence fullbacks had. Di Lorenzo went left and Toloi who is a CB right. Nullified both flanks with one sub.
And what's the point of Toloi in a game like this? It's not like Spain had any physical presence or hoofed it in the box. Italy's defense just got worse after he came on because he's too slow. He even got a yellow because he lacks pace.

Idk what was the point of taking Bastoni if he's your 5th CB. He's the fastest of the bunch and should've replaced Emerson, leaving Di Lorenzo on the right. Or he shouldn't have been called up, even.

Two full-backs getting injured is really unlucky, but it's a 26 man squad, Darmian should've been in there as 5th option and as someone who doesn't make the 23 if everyone's healthy. He can cover both flanks and would definitely be a better defensive solution on either FB than any CB he thought of sticking there.

Bonucci getting absolutely exposed on Morata's goal is nothing new and I don't think this defense has what it takes to contain England. I wouldn't optimistic about the final if I was Italian.

Immobile being absolutely useless and offering nothing is typical. If he couldn't impose himself against questionable Spain defense, he'll have no chance against way more physical England.

4 minutes ago, Haguey said:

Morata misses at a crucial moment. Say the line, @GunmaN1905

Idk if it's a bottling if we all expected it.

Edited by GunmaN1905

Just now, enigmatic said:

tbf they weren't even getting to penalties without him

Similarly, Olmo's penalty was utterly ridiculous but he set the goal up and was one of the best players on the pitch

Out of reactions but agreed. Morata just the kind of guy you want to do well, especially when he's being hated on so badly.

Just now, Astafjevs said:

Ban gunman

Easy handicap win for England with this defense.

And stop mentioning me you moron, I don't talk to you. You can ignore me if you disagree.

Cmon, try to explain any of the points I said that are wrong.

Turd.

Edited by GunmaN1905

6 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

Tbh I thought Spain were a lot better. 

Same. Spain cut Italy open several times and missed a few gilt-edge chances. But Spain have been missing a good striker all tournament.

Think of Spain had Kane and Sterling or even Dolberg up front for them, they win that game 3 or 4-1.

England and Denmark will both be rubbing their hands together after that game tbh. Italy looked very beatable.

9 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

tbf they weren't even getting to penalties without him

Similarly, Olmo's penalty was utterly ridiculous but he set the goal up and was one of the best players on the pitch

Olmo missed some chances in game too. He's lucky Morata was about. I'm really not sold on Olmo. Doesn't look like he's got a goal in him

4 minutes ago, MIR17 said:

Same. Spain cut Italy open several times and missed a few gilt-edge chances. But Spain have been missing a good striker all tournament.

Think of Spain had Kane and Sterling or even Dolberg up front for them, they win that game 3 or 4-1.

England and Denmark will both be rubbing their hands together after that game tbh. Italy looked very beatable.

Very different matchups. Barella was poor by his standards. Verratti coming off when he did was a head scratcher. Insigne and Emerson coming off compounded that. The silver lining for Italy, is those players didn't have to play the extra time and they still got through. 

3 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Out of curiosity, why? Other strikers who miss as many as he does never get the same treatment when they eventually put it right?

I like seeing honest players succeed.

10 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

Olmo missed some chances in game too. He's lucky Morata was about. I'm really not sold on Olmo. Doesn't look like he's got a goal in him

He was more threatening than Oyarzabal but that's not saying a lot!

Morata gets a lot of stick but Spain look far more likely to score with him on the pitch, most of the other forward options don't look like they've got many goals between them (Ferran is probably the exception there but didn't do much tonight)

1 minute ago, Baptista_8 said:

I like seeing honest players succeed.

He's had more chances at top teams than any other striker in football history and he never "put it together".

There's no putting it together, he never had it.

It's not like he had a 30 goal season, wasn't even a one-season wonder.

Decent all-round striker with awful finishing, is worth nowhere near his wages or transfer fees paid for him.

Considering his ability, he more than succeeded with all the trophies he won and money he made.

What amuses me about Morata is these strikers that can't finish generally have 1 hot streak in their career where everything goes in or the weight of chances they make for themselves makes up for it. Morata has 1 decent goals return all career (16/17 at Real) so it feels like he's missed out.