Match 49: Italy vs Spain - 8pm (bst) BBC1 live from Wembley !

There are unlikely to be too many fans of either side at the game. Anybody flying from Spain or Italy into England would have to quarantine and therefore not be able to attend.

Italian FA president Gabriele Gravina says they have been given 125 tickets - out of a possible 60,000 crowd.

Italy will be without left-back Leonardo Spinazzola, who has been one of the best players in the tournament, after he suffered a ruptured Achilles tendon against Belgium.

Spinazzola's place in the Italy starting line-up is likely to go to Chelsea left-back Emerson.

Spain winger Pablo Sarabia is a major doubt after being forced off with a muscle problem against Switzerland and may be replaced by Dani Olmo.

BBC Sport pundit Chris Sutton said: "He's irreplaceable. They're some boots to fill. He has been my player of the tournament."

Luis Enrique thinks the battle against Italy will be won by the team who gets more possession. 

Italy’s incisive, high-tempo attacking style has seen them muster the most attempts on goal, 101, but they have hardly been clinical, with only 26 on target. Spain have had 95 attempts (39 on target)

Italy favourites for me Clive, but anything can happen in knockout football !

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two hours of Mediterranean anti-football and rolling around until one of them eventually nicks it 1-0 in extra time or wins it on penalties.

Come the final the entire football world is behind England after these two serve up such a miserable game.

I think in such a high stakes game Italy will revert to type.

I am nonetheless looking forward to it, there is a rational part of me that wants Italy to play Denmark in the final so that we don't have every team playing dull football next time as it is the way to win.

• SI Staff
16 minutes ago, RTHerringbone said:

Patient tippy-tappy Spain versus aggressive pressing Italy

This is why I'm looking forward to it. Easily a few goals in this too (well, assuming Spain turn up)

This is the seventh time we're playing Spain at the Euros. Pretty sure that's a record for the most times two teams have met in this competition.

Competitive record:

P - 12; W - 4; D - 6; L - 2; GF - 9; GA - 11

Euros record:

P - 6; W - 2; D - 3; L - 1; GF - 4; GA - 5

25 minutes ago, Lucas said:

This is why I'm looking forward to it. Easily a few goals in this too (well, assuming Spain turn up)

I think it'll be pretty tight.

I think the quality will be very high but Morata and Immobile aren't the most prolific strikers in the context of this tournament. Maybe it needs a Torres or a Chiesa to make the difference. 

• SI Staff
46 minutes ago, titchuk said:

For any Londoners (or near Londoners): plenty of tickets currently available for this game, 85 euros for the cheap seats.

Bet theres none for tomorrow :D 

5 hours ago, Rob1981 said:

Two hours of Mediterranean anti-football and rolling around until one of them eventually nicks it 1-0 in extra time or wins it on penalties.

Couldnt have worded it better myself :D

21 minutes ago, Citizen Kane said:

Just hide in the toilets overnight 

Wouldn't be the first one to do it. :brock:

I actually think it's easily doable to hide overnight in any big stadium. It's EURO semi-final afterall, worth trying. :lol:

12 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Wouldn't be the first one to do it. :brock:

I actually think it's easily doable to hide overnight in any big stadium. It's EURO semi-final afterall, worth trying. :lol:

Wasn't there someone who had a season ticket for a football club a lot of years ago who ended up living at the stadium because the ST entitled him to do that?  Can't remember much more than that of the story, but i'm sure it happened.

As for tonight's game I can't see past Italy - Spain seem to score goals without their strikers looking particularly convincing.  I think 2 - 0 Italy.

Luis Enrique thinks the battle against Italy will be won by the team who gets more possession. 

Could he just try and be a bit more Spanish here please?

Spain didn't think they'd be here and flattered to deceive during the group stages (some might say they even fluked their way up to this point).. and should consider it a triumph to even have made it considering their relatively poor squad when compared to past years

Italy were quietly confident from the start, and then expectations have risen since their first 2 games. They have been arguably the team of the competition.

My heart says Spain should win, but my head disagrees and insists this is Italy's to lose.

Either way, I hope whomever wins wins the lot on Sunday in the final against Denmark ;)

5 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

Only half an hour build up on the BBC for a semi final makes me sad

Of which how much will be about England/tomorrow's match? 20 mins? Well be lucky to get 15 mins specific build up to tonight's game I expect 😕

1 hour ago, samuelawachie said:

Spain didn't think they'd be here and flattered to deceive during the group stages (some might say they even fluked their way up to this point).. and should consider it a triumph to even have made it considering their relatively poor squad when compared to past years

Italy were quietly confident from the start, and then expectations have risen since their first 2 games. They have been arguably the team of the competition.

My heart says Spain should win, but my head disagrees and insists this is Italy's to lose.

Either way, I hope whomever wins wins the lot on Sunday in the final against Denmark ;)

Your hatred of England is bizarre. 

Just now, craigcwwe said:

Your hatred of England is bizarre. 

I actually don't hate England. To be honest, I love English people. I just don't want England to win this particular championship, that's all... The wish might not be granted. England might win it comfortably. I just have been so unimpressed with how the English fans have been behaving ever since their teams won the Champions league trophies (Liverpool and Chelsea) recently. 

5 minutes ago, samuelawachie said:

I actually don't hate England. To be honest, I love English people. I just don't want England to win this particular championship, that's all... The wish might not be granted. England might win it comfortably. I just have been so unimpressed with how the English fans have been behaving ever since their teams won the Champions league trophies (Liverpool and Chelsea) recently. 

Not sure what you mean in regards to that tbh. 

Think this will be close. Spinazzola is a big loss for Italy as so much of their play comes down that side. I’d prefer Italy to get to the final, based on their performance in the tournament so far. And the fact their anthem is greatly superior. 

5 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Not sure what you mean in regards to that tbh. 

Thinking and saying out loud that other leagues and teams are now rubbish.. Just the general "snubbery" that you get with over-confident fans. 

This is just football banter and sport trash talking, I know, but sometimes it just gets wearing. 

Maybe there's also the fact that Barca are just not doing well at anything right now; so there's that.

So no need for anyone to take my comments right now on football very personally. (: 

He actually dropped Morata!

6 July 2021 18:46

13 minutes ago
Euro 2020: Italy vs Spain team news
Italy XI: Donnarumma; Di Lorenzo, Bonucci, Chiellini, Emerson; Barella, Jorginho, Verratti; Chiesa, Immobile, Insigne

There is only one change for Roberto Mancini’s Italy as Emerson comes in for the injured Leonardo Spinazzola.

Spain XI: Unai Simón; Azpilicueta, Laporte, Eric García, Jordi Alba; Koke, Busquets, Pedri; Dani Olmo, Ferrán Torres, Oyarzabal

Spain make three changes to their starting XI with Eric Garica replacing Pau Torres as Aymeric Laporte’s central defence partner. Up top Dani Olmo comes in for the injured Pablo Sarabia and Mikel Oyarzabal replaces the underperforming Alvaro Morata.

17 minutes ago, samuelawachie said:

Thinking and saying out loud that other leagues and teams are now rubbish.. Just the general "snubbery" that you get with over-confident fans. 

This is just football banter and sport trash talking, I know, but sometimes it just gets wearing. 

Maybe there's also the fact that Barca are just not doing well at anything right now; so there's that.

So no need for anyone to take my comments right now on football very personally. (: 

Where are you from

11 minutes ago, Citizen Kane said:

Where are you from

Why should that matter though? Do you think where I'm from will influence my behavior on a message board like this? Genuinely curious

Morata is either an injury or, more likely, a tactical decision. Putting a lone striker who likes to stand there as a focal point against Bonucci and Chiellini probably isn't the best way of causing them problems. False 9 type player who will move deep, left and right is a better bet

Luis Enrique really has no idea who his best team is, does he?

Despite that, I actually think Spain will score first... but then Italy will battle back to win 2-1. Italy's midfielders and attackers just look that little bit more convincing and cohesive than Spain's.

And of course the Beeb talk about this Semi for five minutes and then move swiftly to the England camp. Surely it would make more sense to leave this Southgate interview for the half-time break, or even after the match?

1 minute ago, CFuller said:

And of course the Beeb talk about this Semi for five minutes and then move swiftly to the England camp. Surely it would make more sense to leave this Southgate interview for the half-time break, or even after the match?

It's tedious isn't it!  5live have been covering this final since 6.30pm and have had loads of insight from the Italy and Spain camps.  The same network but done so differently.  What makes the TV coverage even more tedious is Rio Bloody Ferdinand!

3 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

Painfully bad ain't he Rio

I don't have BT Sport so thankfully I don't have to watch him very often!  A swap for Gary Neville would be great.